please don't make those of us with wings need flying mounts!

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-tortoisegirl, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Aelfan wrote:
    There has not been any new information for there to be any reason for fae to fly and fae cannot fly, "live with it".

Aelfan wrote:
    Last I checked there were no "earth fairies" and the birds with puny wings applies well to fae. As it is there is no explaination other than "it's magic" for them even being able to hover. Making fae able to fly, and at speeds the same as everyone else would make very little sense and would be quite unfair.
  2. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Aelfan wrote:
  3. ARCHIVED-Aelfan Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    There most certainly is new information, a whole new paradigm in fact, with the introduction of flying. I'm suggesting that this "new information" is a hypothetical reason to ditch the absurd lore that fairies can't fly.
    Norrathian fairies are derived from Earth fairies, and in Earth "lore" fairies can fly. The same Earth lore which says that gryphons and a pegasus can fly. Have you noticed one of them flying around lately?
    I still can't grasp why people feel any of this is unfair. No-one has suggesting fairies should be able to fly from level one except the fairy-haters. All we want is an appearrance of no mount over the gryphon for the races which have wings.
  4. ARCHIVED-Aelfan Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
  5. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Aelfan wrote:
    I didn't know that all the mythology of the hundreds of ancient civilizations on Earth that talks about fairies all came from one incredibly well preserved SINGLE STORY that defines exactly what a fairy can and cannot be.
    I'll use the recent discussions about the Freeblood vampires on these boards as an example. Many people complained how SoE was jumping on the "Vampire bandwagon" because of the whole Twilight craze. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I looked up some research and found that there has never been a single, universally defined concept for a vampire. Vampire mythos existed for centuries before Dracula came around, and it wasn't until Dracula that the concepts of the Sun being able to kill a vampire, being able to turn into a bat, or driving a stake through the heart, and a few of the other things were written into the mythos. Now, you can have a creature who sparkles in the sunlight and CALL them a vampire, and boom, they're a vampire and you can't question it because you're not the author of the series.

The same goes for fairies. Fairy lore first originated in the areas around England, Ireland, and especially Scotland, where fairies were called "Seelie" or "Unseelie" (sound familiar?) Unseelie were always Chaotic Evil creatures. Malicious spirits who would kidnap your children, r*** your daughters, and kill you in the most unspeakable ways, or worse. Seelie were... indifferent at best, but still all around unpleasant.

It wasn't until the Elizabethan era where fairies started to be these cute, WINGED creatures who danced around the forests spreading pixie dust and magic and granting wishes and all that bullcrap that Disney helped bowdlerize and enforce today.
    You can read all about it for yourself here. Keep in mind that TVtropes is a Wiki site that far more accurate in it's subject matter than wikipedia ever will be.

The fact that the Fae even have wings is just because the developers decided to create a GOOD aligned race and based them off of modern Victorian concepts. If they wanted to be as accurate as possible and followed the original Earth fairy mythos when they created the Arasai, then they wouldn't have wings. You're lucky they have that much to them.
  6. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Aelfan wrote:
  7. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Aelfan wrote:
  8. ARCHIVED-Trinral Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    I agree with Lethe. Players of Fae and Arasai need to QQ less. Earth fairies? lol lol lol lol lol lol... lol!! Tinkerbell is real, she really is! She is what my Fae is modelled after! I think I will replace the term "grasping for straws" with "grasping for earth fairies".

If the Fae were permanently the size of a human fingertip, they might have a case. But they arent. Poor earth fairies just got crushed!
  9. ARCHIVED-InsaneChaosMarine Guest

Let them Fly, who cares, vampires can fly, why can't faeries?
    Is it because faeries forgot to pay the 20 bucks?

Who cares if faeries can fly at level 1, let them.

Who cares if they can fly at level 85 before everyone else, let them.

Who cares? They have wings they should fly, its kind of the thing.
  10. ARCHIVED-Katz Guest

I see no reason why we can't let them "appearance" fly as long as they have a flying mount. It would amount to them using themselves in the appearance slot.
  11. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Katz wrote:
    I think that is what most people are asking for and there is 1-2 people crying about this race being allowed a special appearance that requires no new art assets.
  12. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

The arguement seems to go like this:
    Pro: I'm a Fae/Arasai! I have wings! I should be allowed to fly without having to ride a griffon/carpet/disk! give me a race specific quest, that gives me the only no appearance flying mount or just make it so I can fly once I do it!
    Con: You are a Fae, yes. You have wings. but those wings, as dictated by the Lore, aren't strong enough for flight! it makes no sense to let you fly without riding anything! also, it's not fair to others that only your race should get a no appearance mount/Be able to fly without one!
    Pro: Screw the lore! I have wings, therefore I can fly! Tinkerbell flies, and we're modeled after her! Vampires get to fly without a griffon!
    Con: Tinkerbell is small enough that a lantern a 10x12 prison cell. Fae are much bigger then that! accept that they can't fly, only glide! and vampires only get to fly with in an illusion as a cloud of bats! adn they had to PAY for that!
    and it goes back and forth mostly like that.
    hell I even proposed a compromise. attach a quest that allows Fae/Arasai to fly in thier Silvani/Unseeli 'bug' form. They want to fly like tinkerbell, then they can be the same size as tinkerbell...and it makes thier illusion the same as Cloud of Bats, an illusion that works like a mount. so the mechanics are well in place already to do it. they don't have to try and either add new animations to adjust the present ones to take into account 'flight capability'.
    But they don't want that, and refuse to accept the idea that the Devs have stuck by thier lore on this one that that a Fae can't fly under thier own power, thier butterfly wings aren't strong enough.
    And of course bringing up the idea that not everything with wings can fly, for example turkeys, chickens, penquins, adn the exinct Dodo bird, they ignore that, usually with the idea that thier based on tinkerbell fairies, not birds.
    nevermind that according to history, Gnomes are fairies (Faefolk). so are Leprecauns. neither of them fly. I think even trolls and dwarves in some legends are considered more the 'Unseeli' type of Faefolk.
    or how about the famous shakespear play, A midsummer nights dream? Puck/Titania/Obereon are all fairies, and none of them can fly. hell they don't even HAVE wings to fly with. so just saying 'Fae are based on Fairies thus they can fly' is a flawwed arguement in and of itself.
  13. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    Pretty much. They want their cake, and they want to eat it too.
  14. ARCHIVED-Iskandar Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    Technically speaking, flight WAS possible at launch -- there were griffon towers in Antonica and the Commonlands. And later on we built new griffon towers in other zones as part of a World Event. When Echoes of Faydwer was released, adding the Fae as a new race, it even had griffon towers in Butcherblock.
    Those griffons gave any and all players the power of flight -- they just weren't OUR mounts, they belonged to someone else and flew a pre-planned flight path. The only thing that has changed since release is that we can now have our own mount and control where it goes.
    Speaking as someone with five level 90 Fae/Arasai (plus even more at lower levels), I have no problem whatsoever with needing to ride a mount to fly. Because Fae don't fly, they just glide.
    And so does a High Elf, for that matter -- but ya don't see High Elves asking for innate flight capabilities.
    And btw, Vampires don't fly -- their quest unlocks flight for the Cloud of Bats mount they purchased on the Marketplace, just as our adventure and tradeskill quests unlock flight for the Gryphon mounts we receive ingame. To fly, a Vampire must be riding the Cloud of Bats mount -- just as our toons must be riding a Gryphon mount.
  15. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Talathion@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Quiet you.
  16. ARCHIVED-Artalis the Elder Guest

Lol at making sense.

I just flew to Moors of Ykesha on a steam powered gnomish airship made of wood and iron with sails and no wings. Totally makes sense.

I just teleported from one side of Norrath to the other in order to finish some dumb tradeskilling quest that involved supposedly shooting troll snot at a target dummy, at no point were any trolls involved, not sure where the snot came from.

I could go on and on but you people will never get it. You are too blinded by the idea that someone might get the ability to have an invisible appearance mount and you cant.

That's what it's all about. So fine. Let anyone have the invisible appearance mount. Or no one, it doesn't matter.

I'm tired of reading people's unbelievably short-sighted, blinders-firmly-in-place arguments as they desperately attempt to grasp at 'logical reasons' a fantasy pixie race can't fly. It's sad.

Like Crabbok said somewhere else, if there's magic involved any argument can be invalidated.
  17. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Kiki@Guk wrote:
    Any realism arguement you mean. Magic does nothing to explain why it is obviously not fair to give one certain races an advantage over others.
  18. ARCHIVED-Trinral Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    Ease up there, Lethe.

Kiki clearly has an unbelievably short sighted, blinders-firmly-in-place, pro-Fae advantage mindset. "Logic" is only permitted if it is for their benefit, which means they do not want logic to be used in this thread. Responses like yours might result in an agry fairy rage-dust being scattered all over the forums. If that happened, we would all be flying, and I am scared of heights...

But Kiki did get one thing right : Any argument supporting fairies being able to fly, can be invalidated. While Kiki was questing with a Troll Snot sling, some of the magical snot flung back and stuck to their wings. This magical troll snot is like enchanted glue, and is impossible to remove, preventing fairy flight from happening! The tragedy of magic!
  19. ARCHIVED-Artalis the Elder Guest

Oh right, like the Traverse Shadow and Interdimensional Portal abilities aren't an advantage over other races?

Safe fall? Disarming Traps? Tracking?

How does a purely visual "advantage" stack up against these very real and game affecting abilities?

And how is an invisible mount appearance an "advantage" anyway? Explain that please. Logically.
  20. ARCHIVED-Trinral Guest

Kiki@Guk wrote:
    Oh yeah, because Fae dont get anything like Featherfall, Wind Walker, and Glide... These abilities must have absolutely no effect in the game?!?!

You are grasping for "Earth Fairies" again?