New/Returning player. Where to find AA builds?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Lambro, Jul 4, 2023.

1. Lambro Member

Haven't played in probably 10 years or more. Never really made it to end game and not sure what happened to my characters as they are all gone.

I had a higher level Shadowknight and last expansion I vaguely remember was flying around on a magic carpet in a place like Aladin. But sadly all my stuff is gone. I do have some /claims though so I guess it's whatever.

I made a Ranger and got to level 20 on the Mag'Dul server. I'm not in a Guild or anything so I'm not 100% set on this server. If there's a server better suited for me that has a good active social/family style guild looking for more members let me know and I'll gladly switch before I get too invested in my character.

With that out of the way.. Where can I find a good DPS AA build for a Ranger? I've tried Googling and have found some on different sites but they seem outdated. One recent one I found was more towards tradeskilling. I'm looking for something more straight up ranged DPS.

Many thanks in advance.
  2. Priority Well-Known Member

EQ2U

Find a ranger that does well. Keep in mind, a lot of AA specs have some specific nuances based on gear and general playstyle, so one size doesn't fit all in most cases.
  3. Feara Well-Known Member

Do have more than one account? If not and you don't want to lose them contact customer service.
    Also look your toons up on EQ2U character search and see what you can find.

Maj'Dul, Sinking Sands.
  4. Lambro Member

I believe I have two accounts only because I was young at the time and didn't realize the same username would work across all of SoE's games at the time. So my oldest account doesn't have any /claim rewards or anything on it but my newer account has access to 12 years of vet rewards and other goodies.

I don't even remember any of my characters names from back then and since it's been so long anyways I am fine starting over fresh so it's not a huge deal I guess.
  5. Feara Well-Known Member

No matter what you decide to do, welcome back and good luck in search for a Guild.
    In case you don't remember, you can hit the U button to bring up the Guilds that are recruiting.

You can also check out the Guild Recruitment thread here on the Forums to see if something catches your eye.
  6. Lambro Member

Appreciate it. I'm on the Maj'Dul server right now though. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Would just like to find a good chill active guild on any server at this point. So I'm up for starting fresh somewhere else. Just hard to get a feel for guilds on other servers I guess since I'm not on another server yet.

I have more questions about gameplay stuff that I don't want to spam /general chat with if yall don't mind me asking in here and not starting another thread as these questions pop up.

1) I have a 10 year anniversary merc. Not sure how you tell which mercs in the game are the best? It was so easy in EQ1. They were sorted by ranks and highest rank meant that was the best tier of merc you would want. Then it was just a matter of what class of merc you wanted in the highest tier.

2) Is there any way to have a hotkey for summoning your merc? It's a little annoying to go to the character sheet and then click on mercs and then summon it. Would be nice if you could keybind it somehow. You could in EQ1. And I was able to set a keybind on the hotbar for dismissing my merc in EQ2 along with attack and back off and all that but can't find a way to keybind summon merc yet.

3) A little confused on progressing through the zones. I started in Greater Fey/Kelethin area. I did all the quests in order and it led me to Crushbone Keep. These quests are nearly 10 levels above me. I was level 19 when I got to these quests and one quest is level 28 and they are all in Crushbone Keep. If and when I am able to complete these quests will the quest chain actually send me to the next tier zone for 20+ questing? Or do I have to just find one manually from the map?

Sorry for all the questions. I don't remember it being this confusing for me back in the day as far as questing goes.
  7. Jaden Well-Known Member

Good morning Lambro - and, Welcome Back! There are lots of players who are returnees! Here are some of my favorite links and forum threads:

For all kinds of general resources and tips look on the Wiki at eq2.fandom.com and this especially for the times when you are mainly soloing: https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Soloing_Timeline
    -- For all things Tradeskill related, harvesting, Seasonal events, housing, furniture...the much loved site EQ2 Traders Corner
    --Bear Necessities on YouTube has SO many helpful vids ranging across years - I found these basic Macro tips helpful:
    --If you are picking up one of your characters in more recent expansions and wanting to head on to cap, take a look at Sig's Visions of Vetrovia Guide for Beginners https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...de-for-beginners-or-returning-players.602324/ and Renewal of Ro Guide for Beginners or Returning Players https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...de-for-beginners-or-returning-players.607863/
    -- If you are considering doing one of those Character Boosts up to 120: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/before-after-using-a-120-boost-guide.599941/
    --A good thread here on the forums about Overseers: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...using-the-overseer-thing.609067/#post-6724668
    --This is an older thread but still good for getting an overview of various new features which were put in the game while you were on hiatus: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/are-you-starting-anew-in-everquest-ii.585327/
    -- For Stats research: EQ2U https://u.eq2wire.com/
    --Interesting thread discussing EQ2 history https://www.reddit.com/r/EQ2/comments/gbcc4u/the_history_of_everquest_ii_a_story_of_everquests/
    --Catch The Everquest Show on youtube also (*has content covering both EQ1
    and EQ 2) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmwkZBsh7hI9AmQQFoM0Mug

Of course keep in mind many threads you scan through that are older need to be looked at with an eye to noting the dates and asking questions/doing other research to make sure the details haven't been changed greatly. Even so, when returning to this second Norrath, these sorts of links have been very helpful both as an overview and for specific details to me.

**Just HAD to come back and add in a link to Sturm's body of work! When you want to chill - ya gotta head to his links; just fantastic! https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...troducing-eq2-relaxation-video-series.605997/

Find a guild! I'm having such a great time after returning from many years ago. Enjoy yourself Lambro!!
  8. Lambro Member

Thanks for all the links. Will go through them all at some point today. But am starting fresh and want to take it all in so won't be boosting or anything but the links will still be there if I make it that far which hopefully I will. I hope to get into tradeskilling this time around just to say I've done it. So thank you for all of that.

Edit: You wouldn't happen to know of a money making guide for F2P players would ya? There was one in here on the forums but it's 10+ years old I think so a bit outdated.

Also seems harder to find an active Guild nowadays. Especially from the forums. I don't plan on raiding anytime soon. Just wanna explore and quest and do dungeons and all the stuff before raiding. I was a big end game raider back in the day though and probalby will get back into that at some point
  9. Lambro Member

Greatly appreciate it but not sure how to find somene that does well on there. Like I mean.. I don't know if they raid or what their DPS is or anything like that so not sure how to find all that out and then copy their build.
  10. Priority Well-Known Member

You ask. Either on your server (less reliable as the people playing well typically have set groups and rarely group with outsiders) or on the official discord
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

What I do for all my toons (Ask Me About The Horde[TM]! :D) is, first off, I'll actually ask myself, "What is it about this new toon that's unique? What is this one's role going to be in the world? Are they an homage toon [Doctor Who, Hellboy {NOT the third movie}, The Avengers, etc. are all past tips o' the hat]? What does their name mean [I have a Vah Shir Coercer whose name means "crush the enemy's mind" in Ukrainian; he tends to focus on the Strength, Agi, and Int branches of his Enchanter AA tree]?"

This will give me clues as to what sort of thing the toon might be interested in as far as AA trees go. The very first thing I do, once I get into game with a new lowbee, is immediately go to the stupid "pre-selected for you! :D 'Cause we don't trust your own choices!" or whatever default AA trees and make my own, ignoring the "pre-selected" ones forever afterwards. Though a new or returning player might find those useful to at least get inspiration from; up to you. ;->

I'll look at the end result for each "branch" of the first tree (Predator for my own Rangers/Assassins) and see what appeals as far as "If I spend 22 points in this branch, what's the title and power I'm gonna get?" I'll put at least 1 point in everything across the board, but focus on like 2-3 branches to bring up to "full." For weak and squishy cloth-wearin' spellcasters, for example, if there's anything that'll help me not get interrupted by an opponent and/or decreases my spellcasting time, sign me up. ;->

Once I'm eligible to get things at the next to the bottom row, and I know I'll have to spend 15 points to get the ultimate last 2 points worth of a power, again I'll look at what enhances things I've already focused on, but even now, when the only hiatus I've had was back in 2011, briefly (largely due to burn-out), I still find it tricky to figure out what all the various new stats are all about. When in doubt, roll a d10 or whatever to choose among the rest (1-2 = 1, 3-4 = 2, etc., there being 5 things to choose from). ;->

For the more complicated Adventuring trees in later tabs, if I come across something I don't recognize (often, these days; such things generally appeal to raiders and end-cappers, neither of which I am or have enough interest in to research), I'll just go with boosts to what I already know about and like using. In the Shadows tree, I'll just plop in like 1 point in each to get me to the end of each line to afford those things. The very first row, dealing with things like mount speed, food/drink increases, and so on, is pretty much personal preference.

Your Prestige Tree will also be pre-selected for you, which is annoying; I'd just Rollback everything and leave it blank until you decide what you want there. :-/

For the Tradeskill AA trees (and yes, those will ALSO be chosen for you...grrr :mad:), if I have a crafter/tradeskiller that can Imbue things (Rings/Bands for Jewelers, Hex Dolls and "Armor" for Tailors, weapons, metal armor and shields, etc.), I'll often make two AA trees these days: not changing anything for the Adventuring tree once I have that the way I like it (and I don't specialize with 87 different trees; I don't raid, don't molo ["solo" with a merc], rarely if ever group these days, etc.), but having a separate one just for differences in crafting. When I'm making something using a rare material, whatever it is, I like to have the crafting AA tree up that includes all 5 points in Conservation of Mass, which gives you a good chance to recover all the materials and fuels you've used, so essentially you didn't "spend" them in the first place. Another full 5 points in things like increasing Durability, harvesting a second time, harvesting rare materials, etc. are always good choices. :)

When I'm going to Imbue something I've made, I've learned over the years that that's when you need a second Tradeskilling AA tree that doesn't have ANY points in Conservation of Mass (I put them all into Advantageous Practice instead, the one on the far right, second row of the Tradeskill AA), or you're gonna "recover" your original item as well as your fuel, imbuing material, etc., which you may or may not need at all. :-/ If you're making things to Broker them, that might be a consideration, but ask anyone on these forums about "Uwk and his Horde," and you'll understand when I say that 99.9% of the stuff I make, if it's not for decorating purposes, is just to keep up with outfitting all my alts (and levelling doing writs). ;)

For the Tradeskill Prestige tree, which will also be chosen for you, just Rollback everything that's listed there (carefully; sometimes you can roll back too far and start nibbling away at what you've already selected, which is annoying... :oops:) and again make your own. What I would definitely suggest is putting a point into Artisan's Gathering Goblin, who will dash about and get 100 crafting materials for you in 2 hours, and all 5 points possible into Seasoned Harvesting. After that, again, look at the ends of the branches and see what appeals. :)

For the Far Seas Tradeskilling tab, I'm a simple soul who doesn't do any Refining (though you might want to; ymmv), so I ignore that branch, but I put a point into all the others in the second row, and pick and choose among the third and fourth rows. Again, it often depends on what my toon's specific role/place in life in Norrath will be. :)

Uwk
    Sturmlocke and Jaden like this.
  12. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

That's one really well documented list you posted there, well done! Maybe we should create a full blown list of all things eq2, including all of its content creators (wiki, builds, stats, lore, story, youtube, you name it), pretty much just like you did? Would be nice to have something like that around. Also big thanks for mentioning the channel mate, really appreciate the love! Totally agree on the guild part as well: It's a lot more fun with friends, and more friends after all (but solo is super relaxing too tbh).

@Lambro: Welcome to the club! Just read what you said about not rushing and taking it all in, and I have to agree. That's the spirit! No rush, no rush at all. Look me up in my beautiful homeland Greater Faydark if you ever want to spend some time relaxing and fishing together:

I'll be waiting for you here, meditating to the beautiful tunes of serenity and nature - plus eating some crab meat and drinking that good old crab juice.

Enjoy the ride!
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Printed to pdf. Thanks !
    Jaden and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.