Is the Price Rise to Spell Research Reduction Reasonable?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Milliebii, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Experts are just as good as Masters anyways unless you run in the Min-Max crowd.

I can suffer at Expert for a couple of months while the RA gets the 2-4 'important' CAs/Spells sorted out for me.
  2. Filly67 Well-Known Member

Because you're probably correct.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  3. Deveryn Well-Known Member

So, some of you are really under the impression that the component for a level 12 grandmaster spell is going to have to come from a raid? Please, stop and think about this and how ludicrous you sound. I've heard many conspiracy theories and wild ideas for what could happen in this game. This takes the top prize.
  4. Anghammarad Well-Known Member

I won't say anything about the materials needed to craft these...

Nope not gonna give hints that may be used =P
  5. Deveryn Well-Known Member

They already told us in one of the panels. They want people to actually go out and harvest things.

Really, I'm curious to hear this idea that is somehow going to be picked up and implemented by the devs about a mere month away from beta.
  6. Anghammarad Well-Known Member

I already harvest a lot.. on a calm evening, donning all the craft/harvestgear inbibing the harvest 6 hour drink and of I go a whole evening...

I don't rely on pony or goblin for rares.
  7. Cisteros Active Member

Honestly it does not sound any more ludicrous than using a level 12 grandmaster spell as an example. Really, what percentage of the population aside from an old school OCD player that used to track the total masters leaderboards on the superior old version of EQ2 players is going to care about a level 12 grandmaster spell anyway?

I am not saying that components will or will not be dropped from raids. Devs said new harvest only mats were going to be introduced so my money is on using those with the harvest rate being about what the rare harvest rate was back in 2004 while wearing and specing for all the harvesting boosts a player can get. Then we will have yet another whine and cheese party like this one, only bigger

EDIT: These new harvestables also probably will not be available as possible rewards from everyone's army of personal research assistants.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

ok i don't get it. what do research assistants have to do with masters or even research for that matter? research assistants research recipes- not spells and the recipes they research are not available elsewhere in the game. maybe you should actually read up on something before posting about it.
  9. Cisteros Active Member

When researching spells was first introduced there were research assistant NPCs in each city you had to actually visit to get the research process going, and return to so you could pick up your completed spell. Many people still refer to the process by the original name.
    suka likes this.
  10. suka Well-Known Member

i think you are confused. research assistants have nothing to do with spell research. they research only recipes.
  11. suka Well-Known Member

so he is talking about something that is obsolete and no longer even in the game? so those of us who started playing later wouldn't have heard about them? what does that have to do with the price of bacon? if it no longer exists, then it is no longer relative. and tradeskill apprentices are commonly called research assistants because they research recipes for us.
  12. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I believe it was replaced with hitting K in game and researching spell upgrades that way.
    suka and Rhodris like this.
  13. Deveryn Well-Known Member

The level 12 was not an example of an OCD player, but an example of an actual low level toon. There are many that still exist. I still have a few that are under 50. I went to the extreme of level 12 because there is absolutely no raid content at that level and there's none for a very long time after that.

You're thinking of Tradeskill Apprentices that hand out the rare materials.
    suka likes this.
  14. Cisteros Active Member

you know. you would find things so much easier if you read an entire thread before making individual posts on older posts that have already been clarified.
    Feldon and Avirodar like this.
  15. Cisteros Active Member

I could get into the whole question of why an already massively overpowered level 12 toon needs to be fully grandmastered out, but that is an entirely different subject. You admit to going to the extreme. I merely believe your extreme to be a ludicrous example.

Yes I know what I was thinking of. I just wanted to confuse Suka some more by leaving out the "tradeskill" in research assistants apprentices (for Deveryn) since they now are the only RAs and everyone should just call them RAs.:D
  16. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Heh so tempted to write an entire narrative with words like coolerator, jitney, motorvate, electronic brain and any other obscure reference I can think of, that no one has used in ages, to refer to our current technology, but too tired to really engage that much.. I took the time to read the whole thread and actually inferred that their was formerly an NPC that was involved in the process (before anyone explained), but continuing to call researching in your spell book a research assistant is like calling the AA screens on the fly changes an achievement counselor. I mean I know our player base is a bit older than the norm for new games, but unless they are 100 years old ("Dang kids with their new fangled research assistants!!!!!") I do not see most those who were playing at the time being so old as to be unable to adapt to changing circumstances.... almost four years after the fact. I mean seriously they have been out of the game for over twice as long as they were in the game, so what really constitutes "many" people using a term that is so potentially confusing?

Also I doubt the components for GM spells will be that hard to get........(looks at depots full of 600k worth of t10 fish), not even the rare (which I am sure will be harvest only), the recipes on the other hand :rolleyes:. I foresee either rare drop ancient knowledge books like they did for some of the older spells that were not included in advanced books (hopefully that include all the spells for that tier), or having your apprentice research them in clusters(if SoE is friendly), or one at a time(if they are not). I just hope and pray they are not raid drops......of course I suppose they could have a new currency introduced which would then allow them to have the scholars drop a load of that new currency for each class' grandmaster recipe book ("You want that book? SURE!!! It only cost 10,000 dinosaur eggs, 10 million status and 1000 pp!!")
  17. Morfydd Active Member

Come on, it isn't that difficult to figure out what he is saying. When you complete the quest in which you make new tools for your assistant you get an item. It is either a crafting based potion, 20 common harvests, or a rare. What he is saying is that he expects the rares used in grandmaster level spells not to be a potential reward from this quest.
  18. Finora Well-Known Member

To people who are really worried about getting the components for Grandmaster spells, It's very possible we've already seen at least part of the mechanic for it. The etherwood that is the primary component of house actors is a rare on a new rareness table. That and the suggestion that there would finally be a use for all the tiers of harvests & rares of all tiers will be worthwhile seem to indicate they might play a part in making grandmasters (or some other high quality things).

Like Ahupu, I feel the bigger concern will be just how we are supposed to get our recipes.
    Kurisutaru, suka and Avahlynn like this.
  19. oldskool Active Member

I'm confused. Will Grandmasters and Ancients also be researchable?

Any idea as to how long for a level 100 to go from Master to Grandmaster and Grandmaster to Ancient?
  20. Cisteros Active Member

I never saw where he said that. but if anything I was stating the same thing. If he said it first fine by me