Is the Price Rise to Spell Research Reduction Reasonable?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Milliebii, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Filly67 Well-Known Member

Out of my 18 or so characters I would normally purchase up my spells from expert to master on three. My warden, conj and sk. The others could always wait. Based on these new prices they can now all research with time instead of money.
    Kinya and Dulcenia like this.
  2. Wanic Active Member

Is this not because of the SC sale? Personally i've only ever used it when you could loot the potions to reduce the month wait, so i haven't noticed the price changes.

I can see that happening, then a little pop up box will appear, why not research it!
  3. Wintir Active Member

In responding to your thread header - Nope, it's not reasonable.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  4. Axterix Active Member

Nope. If they didn't want to include it in the sale, they'd simply make it not included in the sale. Avoids ticking people off. Plus the price went up 150%, from 20 SC per day to 50, and it does fractions now where previously it tended to round the number of days down (with a minimum of 1 day). A 25% discount doesn't exactly balance that out. And that isn't even including the 10% discount that exists when the sale isn't active, meaning we're going from 18 per day to 37.5 for this weekend.

They've upped the price on a few other things as well, like unattuners.
  5. Estal Well-Known Member

Masters are far too cheap in relation to equipment when buying them from other players.
    If masters finally go up in price due to the research price hike then I'll be happy about it as I do not appreciate trying to list a master on the broker only to find there is an entire page of the same one for under 100p.
    Plus more expensive masters would also help Alchemists, Sages and Jewellers because it would increase the market for Expert spells.
    Ranga and Deveryn like this.
  6. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Back in CoE I saw maybe 5 or 6 masters drop. ToV I've seen all of ONE. When research hit the SC option there was an odd decrease in the apparent drop rate of master spell books. Maybe I'm cynical, but that's what it looked like to me.
    Filly67 likes this.
  7. Arnfield Member

What do you mean by reasonable? Personally I think the entire option should not exist. If grandmasters and ancients do not drop, and this turns into a P2W cash shop I will be unsubscribing pretty quickly.

So if the cost is very high, I approve. People need to look at that price in $ and compare to what is available on the broker for plat.

As it is the only spell books that are currently worth a squat are end line masters, and some times not even then. Or selling low level spells at low prices to people buying transmuting materials. Raising the SC cost of research will create more demand for in game master drops (I hope).

I used to only use paid research when I would come across a character that had a few hours left that would cost 20 cents.

Personally I hope high level master spells always stay rare. And they should increase the drop rate of the previous tier when they are no longer "precious" and people will just skip them.
  8. Finora Well-Known Member

Instant access of spells is one of those things I don't even think should be available, so I'm a-okay with the price going up. Maybe SOE will lose enough money on it that it'll get removed (hahaha, yeah right).

In all seriousness though, the game isn't generally balanced around being fully mastered. They stated in one of the videos they weren't going to balance the new expansion around having the those abilities grandmaster/ancient. You can play all current non-raid content without being fully mastered. I know for a fact in expansions up to at the very least TSO you could raid just fine without being fully mastered.

The instant spell upgrade is one of those things I've never bothered to use (like the instant travel for SC). Like everything else though, if you feel the price is too high, vote with your wallet. The bean counters probably don't read the forums and likely don't care how many of us on the forums complain about the price hike. They will only care about how many people buy it at the new price.
  9. Deago Well-Known Member

Remember back in the day looting a conjuror's tank master scroll and getting a tad excited about the choices
    • Sell it for a great deal of plat!
    • Give it to a fellow player (usually a friend) and make his/her day!
    • Keep it and start my own conjuror (if lacking.)
    On a side note: Spell check got me thinking about the difference between conjuror and conjurer....lol
  10. Kander Developer

Grandmaster spells will be craft-able and ancients will be drops only.
    Kurisutaru, Tylia, Cisteros and 7 others like this.
  11. Deveryn Well-Known Member

^^ I thought this might be the case with all the talk of using all tiers of materials.
  12. Foretold Well-Known Member

I am SO glad to hear GM spells will be craftable...
    Feldon likes this.
  13. Foretold Well-Known Member

The price point is still WAAAY out of line on the research, tho.
  14. Corydonn Well-Known Member

They better be only craft-able by one player on the server... The best player of each class... All bruisers should have to come to me to learn the grandmaster abilities. Heck make it one player worldwide per class! You'd make money on bruisers having to transfer over to learn their skills from me!
  15. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Why do I have this feeling that the spell components for grandmasters will only be in the hardest, worst, farthest raid zone and sell for a trillion plat?

You know the type of thing where in the crafting is the tiniest bit of getting the thing done and pretty much just has a craft component so the complaints aren't quite so irate, and the choice defense goes something like the price raising announcement did this weekend did.. "But we made this recipe for crafters!" can replace "but we did it during a sale to benefit you guys.."
    suka, Taivr, Ping and 1 other person like this.
  16. Deveryn Well-Known Member

The worst they could really do with a change that affects all levels is put components in the new level agnostic content, but I think we're going to see multiple rares or super rares being used to make grandmaster spells.
  17. Finora Well-Known Member

I had suspected this was the case but hurrah for the confirmation! =)
  18. Malachy Well-Known Member

Because that's how it is now. The crafted celestial items are still unbelievable due to the rarity of materials to make them. I think it's fair to say the only way 99% of players will be able to get grandmaster spells is through SC or waiting 2months per spell researching and, in my opinion, that's crossing a line and should not be okay. It's only adding insult to make the prices as high as they obviously will be.

In sum: be in a top notch raiding guild and wait your turn for ancients or mats to make grandmaster spells or spend stupid amounts of money. Personally I think they shouldn't even allow them to be upgraded through SC, people with the $$$ will be better off than raiders for a while. Might as well sell level 100 toons fully grandmastered in HM raid gear. Terrible.
  19. Corydonn Well-Known Member

Before you guys panic about it being raider only... Remember they are going to be trying to clear the broker out of harvestables so I imagine turning those 10,000 plump haddocks player a has on the server into 0 to reduce server lag. You are going to see quite a use for them until they all get bought up and then a price for these new grandmasters will be found.
  20. Arnfield Member

I was about to cheer, then I remembered the penchant for hiding everything behind raids (and letting raid guilds screw the rest of the server on prices). Need more expansion info.

Hopefully they get all this kind of info out prior to AOM starting for All-Access.
    Taivr, Avahlynn, Rhodris and 2 others like this.