Is the Price Rise to Spell Research Reduction Reasonable?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Milliebii, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Avianna Well-Known Member

Feldon

August 30, 2014 2:11 pm at 2:11 pm | #
    Merc Unlocks and Item Unattuners are up 50%.
    But it turns out the CA/Spell Research Reduction is up 145%:
    [IMG]
    • [IMG]
      Avianna

August 31, 2014 7:17 pm at 7:17 pm | #
      Even at the old price of 600 SC that is still $6.00 cash money. That is WAY too high for ANY kind of MICRO transition. Now they want us to pay almost equal to a full month’s sub price!!!!! More than a month’s sub if you buy a year at a time!!!! LUDICROUS!!!!! This should be no more than 100sc period.
      I am going to suggest that the next fanfare we can pay $20 SC to kick SOE finance personnel in the jewels. Perhaps then they could make some money and learn not to fu... mess with our game at the same time. [IMG]
    Wirewhisker and Ahupu like this.
  2. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Could you please elaborate on how they're messing with our game, when one can simply wait to research a spell or wait for a master to drop? It used to be that you could only do the latter. It took years before we would see the research option and the SC option is only the 3rd, which has had no influence on the other two.
    suka likes this.
  3. Atan Well-Known Member

I'm late to the party here, but...

We are saying that Grandmaster upgrades will be available for all spells, and the only way to get them is to wait an exceedingly long time or spend additional cash in the item shop?

All I can say if that is true is, I'm glad I've not pre-ordered the expansion.
    Torvaldr and Wirewhisker like this.
  4. Avianna Well-Known Member

Absolutely, They are messing with the game by giving an unfair in game advantage to those willing to shell out the money for the research. Whereas before we were all on a level playing field (before researching) we would have to go find our masters or buy them off the broker. Now someone willing to fork out the money can be fully grandmastered out in a matter of minutes and especially in a PVP environment that poses a pay to win and unfair advantage.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  5. Avianna Well-Known Member

Grandmaster upgrades can be crafted. We do not yet have confirmation on what the components to craft them will be. but it has been hinted towards there will be a use for all tiers of harvests in the next exp. and that there will be new harvests that will only be obtainable thru actual harvesting in game. The pack pony nor goblin will be able to get these new harvests.
    Finora likes this.
  6. Deveryn Well-Known Member

You're missing the part where Kander said they were craftable.
  7. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I think they can be crafted but.....no...one....is...exactly....saying where the mats are from, or how rare, or how one gets the recipe even, annnnd...you know the drill. Same goes for this recent huge price hike in the sc market. It's really all rather gray and some red named commentary sure would be nice..

This is why I dearly wish when Soe decided to spring these 'surprise' type choices, it wasn't done over long holiday weekends. I respect the point of wanting to let those not working due to a US holiday get in some sale and play time but when the prices got yanked up and all we got was a quickie note saying 'it's to benefit y'all' it leaves all the issues (like your question) to stew and fester. Not good.
    Rhodris and suka like this.
  8. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Your two problems are basically going to cancel each other out and you don't realize it. If people were already paying for this alleged advantage, don't you think a price hike is going to hinder that chance? I don't PvP much, so I can't really comment on the actual effect. I'm not taking your word for it either. The only flaw I can immediately pick out is you're not taking gear, resists and crits into account.
    suka likes this.
  9. suka Well-Known Member

no. they are saying that the new grandmaster spells will be tradeskilled
  10. suka Well-Known Member

other than pvp- whose level playing field and how does it matter? if you have mastered spells and raid gear and can kill everything that walks i will simply avoid dueling you. i don't pvp. how does your advantages negatively affect me or my game? why should i care if you buy 85 heroics on all of your toons and masters on all your spells. how does that affect my game? after all, there is only one aspect of the game that i have absolute control over: how i choose to play it. nothing else matters.
    Deveryn likes this.
  11. Avianna Well-Known Member

you seem to have a very narrow field of vision, this along with many other small changes are slowly but surely robbing you of your gameplay, allow it to continue and the likelihood of want to log in pay XX SC or want to switch toons pay XX SC will be that much closer. I remember watching Smed himself standing up and saying this game will NEVER have Microtransactions of any kind in it. well here we are several years later and that is ALL our game is "microtransactions" galore everywhere you turn the game is asking you for money. I miss being able to freely explore norrath without constantly being asked for money. I paid my sub and they provided game.
  12. Deveryn Well-Known Member

By the way, it doesn't look like there will be a pre-order. Maybe it's because of how fickle people can be, but I think it has more to do with the early access option. Regardless of what it is, we only need to wait another month to see what's actually going to happen. In the meantime, all this wild speculation and getting worked up is for nothing.
    suka likes this.
  13. Deveryn Well-Known Member

The economy was different back then. There is far more competition for people's time now. If Smed had actually stuck to his word, we probably wouldn't be here talking about this. Adapting their model to the changing times is what has kept this game afloat. I don't know what game you're playing, but I don't see anything constantly asking for money, beyond the first moment I log in and see some nice items for sale. Beyond that, the my adventuring and crafting experience hasn't changed like that in the 6 years I've been playing. It's still better than all the billboards and other garbage I see out in the real world or elsewhere on the internet. You're getting upset over luxuries that have no real effect on your life in the game. There's plenty of actual crap out there to be more upset about and try to promote change with than a silly little game.
    suka likes this.
  14. suka Well-Known Member

not so narroiw as realistic. it is not my company. i am a subscriber, that doesn't make me an owner. if i were really unhappy about the way it works and the changes being made, i would find another game. i explore norrath all the time. my sub means i don't get popups asking for money. and my f2p accounts work quite well. after all, it wasn't that long ago that you couldn't explore norrath at all without every account you owned being paid for.
  15. Avianna Well-Known Member

Every account I own IS paid for.
  16. Avianna Well-Known Member

Who says that I don't be that change in the real world as well as here in Norrath? 6 years ago there was not a research button or a cash store or Station Cash or a cash shop or a revive instantly button or a finish this now button or a travel here instantly button or any of these other cash grabs in game. We actually got cool stuff added into the game itself without having to fork out extra money for them.
  17. suka Well-Known Member

the point is that those new items were put in because people want them. it goes back to "if you don't like, don't use it"

people do want the conveniences. and they should have the options. to say the game should only fit your vision and no one else's is being very narrow. there is room for a lot of different visions and playstyles in this game. live and let live.
    Ahupu likes this.
  18. Atan Well-Known Member

Thanks, That is why I asked the question...
  19. Avianna Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree with you more, give people the options, I want the conveniences too. I say absolutely! Where you and I differ is not at all on options within the game. It is on the idea that those options should cost you extra and if so how much extra.
  20. Finora Well-Known Member

I am seriously not seeing this. Even on my silver accounts I'm not seeing it unless I forget and try to put things on the broker and the once a log in pop up telling me how awesome all-access is.

About all I do is explore the world. I've yet to be asked for money other than expansion content. There are lots of extra things available to buy, but nothing that is absolutely required to play the game (other than expansions).

There have been things I've chosen to purchase but that was my choice. I just happened to like them and decided it was worth it to me to spend the extra money. I didn't really need that plant for my house, I could have waited until the mushroom rings were back and bought a plant, but I didn't. Heck, I didn't need the house I put the plant in, I already had other houses but I bought it anyway. I didn't need the whispersilk armor, I could have just used the Eday stuff that looks pretty much the same but for color, but I bought it. My SK didn't need the black pegasus, she already had a gryphon but I wanted it. I didn't even need the AoD expansion. I could have played on just fine without it, but I wanted to make a beastlord and I wanted the recipes because I'm a bit of a crafting nut. There were a lot of people who chose not to buy AOD and they went along just fine without it despite the aa that was originally tied to the purchase of AOD.

How is this any different than it is currently other than the quality of the spell and the price point? Buying spell upgrades via SC is the one real "pay to win" thing in EQ2's system. Since they added the instant upgrade! to the research window any all-access person who was willing to pay up could be fully mastered immediately. I'd personally prefer the method to go away, but I don't foresee that happening, I do think the price hike is justified for it though since it's completely circumventing a pretty important gameplay mechanic. I don't mind the ability to research, it takes time invested, considerable time at the higher levels and fuels the economy for scholars since buying the expert speeds up the process. I just don't like that it was so easy for some to just whip out their wallets & immediately have the best spells available. The price hike makes it a less reasonable thing for people to do, which imo is a good thing.

What it really comes down to, despite how much people might complain on the forums, it's whether or not people still buy the items that the price was raised on that will make the finance folk pay attention
    suka likes this.