Is the Price Rise to Spell Research Reduction Reasonable?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Milliebii, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Cisteros Active Member

I definitely agree with you on the mechanic for acquiring the harvested rares.

It seems absolutely silly to have a need for massive amounts of common things be a requirement. especially if of a lower tier. I prefer moving forward, not going back. I missed out on the most recent HQ because of that. But I am probably in the minority with that opinion so I expect to suffer through it

It will be interesting to see how recipes are acquired. Ahupu may have hit the nail on the head there.
    Milliebii likes this.
  2. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Yeah as Ahupu said, there will likely be some hitch in this get a long. Recipe access or some weirdo component that's locked behind some door seems not unlikely. I guess now we just sit and wait for the shoe to drop in November.
    Milliebii likes this.
  3. Ahupu Well-Known Member

@Oldskool
    It is my understanding that all spells will also be researchable to grandmaster, but ancient spells are independent of the rest of the spell list and are not researchable they are unique unto themselves. Much like your epic buff "this is the condensed power of an ancient weapon" text(or however that reads). They will not be steps up from our current spells rather special spells in their own right.
  4. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Nah later this month they should start the beta, and I for one with my army of crafters have every intention of checking out what is going to be involved. I have participated in the betas in the past but never very deeply. This is one set of changes I really want to have some input on though and will definitely be taking the time to find out what I can, and if possible give feedback that will hopefully help streamline the process. And dang it, it better not really involve 10,000 dinosaur eggs (or whatever heh maybe I'll get lucky and it will be etyma....I have a metric ton of those. Gimme my recipes you stupid dragons!).
    Deveryn likes this.
  5. Filly67 Well-Known Member

I agree completely Finora. Now more importantly. I hope these new recipes call for hundreds of fish.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  6. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

And bear pelts.
  7. Vlkodlak Well-Known Member

I agree that this is absurd and extremely poorly timed with the release of the new expansion. The cost of research and unattuners were already overpriced, to more than double the cost is just another reason to call it quits and wash my hands of SoE.

The limited response from the Dev's is discourteous and unfortunately expected.
    Wirewhisker, Glassjaw and Rhodris like this.
  8. Kalika Well-Known Member

They fail to understand what is a micro-transaction.

At 1500 SC (assume it's 5 euros), with 10 spells per tier and a hord of alts it would cost me hundred of euros to research that way. I already bought low level master using the SC, for level locked toon since spending 100 sc is not alike spending 1500.

A single spell going from expert to master will not change much for your toon and for that they charge something of the order than the price of an heroic level 85 toon.

At 300 sc those researched spell would sell like candies ;-)

At 1500 hard-core/optimized players get them in game, from their guild library, from named chest and more casual player will play with the expert quality till they find a master.
    Wirewhisker, Azian and Rhodris like this.
  9. Flatline Well-Known Member

When you say craftable can you be more specific ? As in, craftable with or without RAID/X2 drops? (Yes i did capitalize that)
    Wirewhisker, Filly67 and Avahlynn like this.
  10. suka Well-Known Member

in that case, i am glad they are in the game. I love getting spells researched when i can't find the master on it. I don't buy the upgrades from the marketplace though. never have, never will.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  11. suka Well-Known Member

thanks for clearing that up. in that case, i love research. i just don't see any reason to justify buying any from the marketplace. i thought the price was too high before the hike
  12. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Same here!
    Finora likes this.
  13. Deveryn Well-Known Member

We'll probably have to stay tuned to beta for the official answer. In the meantime, I'm going to (once again) bring up the fact that there is no raid content to cover a lot of the lower tiers and the system is likely to be the same process across all tiers of spells. There's probably going to be a combination of timesinks between the harvesting of materials and the recipe acquisition.
    Finora likes this.
  14. Azian Well-Known Member

I have never paid for the quick upgrades in the past. Ironically, my latest alt I'm leveling is a necro and I was giving thought to paying for the master pet once I hit 95. Now, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I can't agree with what you are saying above Estal. At least on my server, Everfrost, you may happen to get that mystic or bruiser master that sells for next to nothing but if you compare that to a more popular class you might literally find only 1-2 pages of ALL final tier master spells combined and naturally those are much more expensive. More costly research isn't going to change the ebbs and flows of class population based upon relative strength and how many folks are actually playing them.

In general, I also don't see any correlation to higher priced masters helping tradeskills. Even if I do spring for the master upgrade on my necro pet I still already made the Expert spell and would do so again to make sure I was getting the highest tier upgrade from the purchase. I can't imagine paying real cash for the upgrades all the way from apprentice level.
  15. Flatline Well-Known Member

You're assuming that there WILL be craftable GM spells at the lower tiers.. i am .. not ?
  16. Finora Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they said grandmasters would be available for every spell at every level in one of the videos, though I am not going to dig back through them to find it.
    Deveryn and Neiloch like this.
  17. Ahupu Well-Known Member

They said that grandmasters would be available for every spell we have, and that GM spells will be craftable. Your assumption that low level GM spells will not be craftable may be true, but the only response we have received from a Dev in this thread said only that they were craftable, not that only level 91-100 would be craftable. So for now (and the foreseeable future, barring a Dev saying otherwise) I agree with Deveryn, every spell in every tier will have a crafted GM version.
  18. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I think they actually mentioned it in all the main videos (the keynote, Q&A and systems panel.)
  19. Azian Well-Known Member

^^I think this sums it up nicely. What is the cost of the new potion of allied advancement? 4200SC or something absurd like that? Seriously, that's the cost of an expansion for a 2 hour potion.
    Ragna, Wirewhisker, Rhodris and 2 others like this.
  20. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Well I for one would hope after all the hard and soft cap math we've all been doing, THAT would at least not be in question. :p
    Ragna likes this.