Harvesting Changes Coming

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Frizznik, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-illaria Guest

Frizznik wrote:
    Maybe increase the chance of harvesting a rare, the percentage could be very small and still be desirable
  2. ARCHIVED-Frizznik Guest

Anobabylon@Oasis wrote:
    I am sorry if I wasn't clear, but that was the intention of this change. You could gain skill from tinkering tools and double harvest chance from woodworker made tools, and then the time reduction from the highest one you have.
    A tradeskill tab is something that is requested a lot, and I have noted down. We will see for a future GU. :)
  3. ARCHIVED-Senya Guest

Frizznik wrote:
    That possibility made me almost as happy as multiple housing has.. almost.
  4. ARCHIVED-Katz Guest

Flittermouse wrote:
    I love the part that I highlighted with red above. That would get me back harvesting.
    Edit: I thought that the big difference between the woodworking tools and tinkering tools is that woodworking ones are based on adventuring level and tinkered are based on crafting level. I haven't looked lately so I could be wrong. Seems to me if that is the case, you could make them comparable in stats?
  5. ARCHIVED-Kizee Guest

Frizznik wrote:
    Except skill does next to nothing.... grats woodworkers I guess.
    10% chance to double pull > +10 to skills by a LOOOOONG shot.
  6. ARCHIVED-LaurnaRose Fauldorn Guest

Hissyfit@Oasis wrote:
    dont have a hissyfit! /snicker
    Frizznik:
    I am sorry if I wasn't clear, but that was the intention of this change. You could gain skill from tinkering tools and double harvest chance from woodworker made tools, and then the time reduction from the highest one you have.
    *For clarification, I'm pretty sure Frizznik is saying that we will be able to use both tool sets and get the bonuses from both of them increasing both our skill (tinkered) and get the double harv chance (ww) and that whichever set we have active that has the highest reduction time will effect our reduction time. Okay, so I basically just resaid everything he said in a different order ... I dunno, maybe that helps LOL
  7. ARCHIVED-Aelfan Guest

Please developers, dont let these people get you down. It is a self-evident truth that people with level 90 toons have MORE time to waste, not less, so why should they spend less time harvesting? Cut down the time-wasting for everyone, from day-one. As someone with a woodworker and a tinkerer, I would MUCH rather spend less time harvesting than have a market for harvesting tools. Tools are just more crap to carry.
    If you want to make tinkering more worthwhile, do something about tinkering! I'm sure there would be lots of ideas on that one! Daily quests like the adorning, or writs like the trades; have products useable by more people (i.e.,never restrict it to use by people of that tinkering level!); and I'm sure there are others! I'd rather see a tool that increased the likelihood of getting a rare.
  8. ARCHIVED-Elifin Guest

Hissyfit@Oasis wrote:
    I'd be happy with the + to skill but I want it NOW ;)
    I'm trying to get the harvesting quest/pony done on ma baby (33) troub while we have access to the flying mounts.
    She's just finished TT. When she did TT she was level 57 woodworker. Sooo she's now onto Kylong but I can't get there until she's around 67? maybe because she lacks the harvesting skill. That +10 is worth two levels of tradeskill.
    I think the +10 would come in very handy in between tiers for lower levels.
  9. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

While it isn't exactly tied to harvesting, perhaps it might be?
    I am talking about the rainbows and scrying stones which have been in the game and largely ignored to the point that they have become irrelevant, even forgotten (certainly ignored)
    Might they be updated and, (since they operate in a similar fashion to harvesting), be included in a harvesting overhaul?
    How exciting might it be to have a, (albeit small), chance to discover a treasure chest with a mythical or fabled spell, weapon or item?
  10. ARCHIVED-Druwan Guest

Aelfan wrote:
    I'd have to agree. Over the years I have brought up multiple (14+) 90 tradeskillers who have done all available quests (except the newest whose faction in Thurgadin is not yet high enough). Bringing up harvesting on new characters is a huge time sink. And this change doesn't affect only crafters. Adventurers need different harvesting skills for a number of quests, including several heritage quests.
    As far as the complaints about the den nodes in Rivervale for Gathering Obsession (which really has nothing to do with the proposed changes but since it was brought up...): it's a signature quest series rewarding a fabled cloak--it's not supposed to be easy. These changes will help immensely in doing that series as it is. But if I go to Rivervale and can't find dens I can get to, I either harvest other nodes and hope dens spawn, or come back later. (I've even had other people ask me to clear a mob for them when they were doing that quest.) Getting specific meats from dens is a pain in all the tiers that line requires, and the shrubs can be uncooperative as well. I don't look forward to that aspect, but the final reward is worth it to me. I don't want it to be easy and I certainly don't think all den harvesting should be changed because of it. It's not at all undoable.
    And nodes already do despawn and respawn. I have many times had a node disappear just as I start on it or right when I walk up to it (happens with collectibles too, which annoys me even more!). But if what respawns, or what is up already, isn't what I need right then and there, I look elsewhere or harvest other nodes.
  11. ARCHIVED-Eridu Guest

Well since the discussion's wandered into node spawn, pull percentages and bonuses, and "wild card" rares how 'bout the elephant in the room?
    Contested Harvesting.
    Contested harvesting has been one of the two things I've long and most utterly loathed about the game and that has caused me to /cancel, (the other was my Monk having been made useless ).
    The changes to harvesting coming in GU 60 are meant to make it more enjoyable, since "at some point the game has to be enjoyable for people" as was said =) After more than six years is there any honest reason for us to be set one against the other so regularly in so fundamental a function in the game? Is there any sense in making the earlier stages of the mechanic faster while keeping the mechanic throughout pervasively interpersonally annoying? Why only three pulls instead of five, as has been asked upthread begs the question: "Why limited pulls at all?" Why not have the nodes remain permanently or if spawning/despawning is somehow valued, have them return raws to unlimited pulls until a specific node's timer expires? So that it, for example being a bush, spawns somewhere else and a different node, say a den, spawns in it's place anew then to itself return raws to unlimited pulls until it's timer expires etc? I mean truly, any talk of "risk" at this point is laughable except on the Harvest Obsession quest.
    I've always found harvesting relaxing and calmly, lullingly entertaining, that is UNTIL another player shows up. Once another player shows up that bit of fun quiet time is wrecked and ruined; I get antsy and wary and often annoyed. I doubt that's an uncommon experience. I wouldn't miss contested harvesting going the way of the pristing bonus, wealthy alchemist wallets and killer forges hehe.
    Is there really any compelling reason anymore for players not to be able to harvest to their heart's content AND quietude? Figured I'd throw the idea out there:
    Uncontested Harvesting in GU 60!
  12. ARCHIVED-Elifin Guest

Eridu@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Lol this +1
  13. ARCHIVED-daray Guest

Frizznik wrote:
    What would be nice to see, would be all these tools' buff icons removed from the maintained window. With the limited number of buffs reflected in there, that's unnecessary wasted space - effects window is good enough ;)
  14. ARCHIVED-Nindaene Guest

Daryx@Oasis wrote:
    Okay - I thought so too, but there were so many people requesting this that I thought that I was losing my mind. Glad to know I wasn't completely out of it (yet!).
  15. ARCHIVED-Eileah Guest

Frizznik wrote:
    Actually I have wanted extended range on harvesting for a very long time.
  16. ARCHIVED-LaurnaRose Fauldorn Guest

Nindaene wrote:
    Are they on a 2hr despawn timer? Every time I hit SS in the harvesting obsession questline there is nothing but felled trees down around the twin tears. I go over to the asps and tigers and there is nothing but shrubs. Now I know that those two areas are not node specific areas because I have gone up there before just to harvest for materials in general and every node had spawned in those areas. As well, once cleared out, the nodes that respawn vary. Not trying to be snarky, seriously curious as to what the despawn time is. Thank you.
  17. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

The changes, the tools and the potion seem fine to me, we'll have to see how it works out on Test.
    Now if only we could have some changes on the second harvesting table! ;p
  18. ARCHIVED-theriatis Guest

Hi,
    i think that the Skill already counts, BUT not in the correct range.
    If i go and harvest T1-T3 Nodes with my Lvl 90 Adventurer/Tradeskiller, i get definitely more rares than on a night on T9 Rare Farming. So, the chance IS already higher if you're at a higher level (skill ?) as the Tier requested it.
    The question is the underlying math: Is this Chance increase working after 450 ? Maybe it's capped with Level 90 and Skill 450, so that gearing all up will be little more than nothing (out of RNG). I don't know if this would require as little Action as to look if its capped and uncap it or as big as a great overhaul of the harvesting system.
    How about just imaging how this would work out ?
    If you would say, hey, the chance to get a rare is normally 2%, but with every 100 over the requirements of the Node you would get an additional 2%, what would happen ?
    Lets say, you have a skill of 450 and try to harvest a T2 Node (which requires 20 - your 430 over it), this would increase the chance of a T2 rare to 10% (Base 2% + 4x2%). What would happen for the market ? As you can do the Halas quests and get about 7 (?) T2 Rares in an hour, nothing great would change.
    If you think the increase in chance would be to high, decrease it. This was just an example of how it could work. And the comment about Treasured vs. fabled adventure gear... was just great ;-)
    Regards, theriatis.
  19. ARCHIVED-Liyle Guest

How about a harvestable that is harvester-specific? Something that can be collected and turned in for or made into some bonus thing or other... Or maybe an event trigger that gives a temporary bonus similar to the tradeskill ones that increase your skill for a few minutes? An old request from the dinosaur days of EQ2 was to put in a fishing game (I think there was one in EQ? I never played.
    I am of two minds about rares... increasing the harvesting chance isn't always a good thing because it means they are no longer "rare." This aspect has been tweaked *a lot* since launch. Everyone wants them but the reason they want them gets destroyed when you give them what they want, if you follow my drift. Changing rare harvest rates is a delicate thing and seems to have a lot of unintended consequences. For instance, attaching the rate to tools feeds right back into the original problem addressed with this change... newbs and baby toons are at a disadvantage until they can acquire the tools and that discourages people right when they are needing a little nudge to keep playing.
    In effect, there are two times in the players "career" that a nudge would do the most good... at start, when they are first trying the game out and at cap when they face the risk of burning out.
  20. ARCHIVED-theriatis Guest

Liyle wrote:
    Hi,
    @green: Oh yes. Looks good. At least the Event Trigger... but if you would implement such thing, then harvesting itself should be, like crafting, a minigame - or two modes. Minigame Mode or Normal Mode.
    @red: I was not talking about giving it away for free. I followed Feldons post and was asking about making skill count. The Lvl 90 Tradeskillers who would get that (A chance of 6% per Node instead of 2%, as in my example with Feldons Values) already did a lot: Crafter Epic, Shawl, Pack Unicorn, Farseas Trading Quests / Dailies, Crafting Instances... so it definitely would not be for free. And for all that work (Weeks / Months ?) an increase of 4% would not be asked to much, wouldn't it ? There was the example of Treasured vs. Fabled Raid Gear... lets hear someone say that 4% on Lvl 90 is enough...
    Regards, theriatis.