Harvesting Changes Coming

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Frizznik, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Kigneer Guest

As a harvesting "fan" -- Do that Obsession quest! The cloak you get is hard to give up!
    And thanks for the faster harvest times. :)
  2. ARCHIVED-Darkest Knight Guest

Frizznik wrote:
    Well, being a woodworker and having the faction for Spirit-blessed ammunition ( Still only arrows, no thrown), I have no ready acess to the rare material used in the recipe on my own.
    Therefore, I suggest as a change to the tinkered tools. Allow a small percent chance to harvest the rare wood used in that recipe ( Battle Warped wood) .
    There's a couple reasons i suggest this.
    Firstly, if you do not raid you have no reliable source of these woods at all.
    Secondly, even if you do raid and get a wood from every named given the state of multi-attack and the consumption of ammunition, as a raid guild you cannot easily provide a steady diet of these supplies for the arrow-useing membership. This problem is particularly evident if you are feeding a ranger. This problem will also get worse as the new gear with drunder will likely have even more Multi-attack, thus consuming more ammunition with every Auto attack.
    I provide the rare ammunition for our ranger and his consumption outpaces the replenishment of the wood by a fair bit. This leaves nothing for our tanks and other scouts. This problem will also get worse as the new gear with drunder will likely have even more Multi-attack, thus consuming more ammunition with every Auto attack.
    A bit lengthy of a response, but i feel the issue needs attention.
  3. ARCHIVED-Lera Guest

Daryx@Oasis wrote:
    I agree - the specific meats for A Gathering Obsession are a pain, but certainly not difficult, especially if you've outleveled the zone. And that's what makes it such a memorable quest. People in the crafting channel come up with all sorts of horrible things they wish they could do to Qho, and that just shows what a great NPC the devs have given us. I've played since launch, and I still talk about the old betrayal quest - level 17, in Nektulos Forest, through the herd of owlbears, having to retrieve multiple spirit shards (uphill, both ways, in the snow...). Annoying at the time, but great memories in the game.
    Do new players really want everything handed to them? That seems like where a lot of the recent changes are going, and I think what that gets SOE is people getting to 90 in a couple months and then quitting. Of course, the players contribute to that - we complain about everything that isn't end-game and hardly anybody wants to do anything in the old zones anymore. I suppose it's understandable that veteran players have done all that old content, often several times, and that new people want to catch up to 90 to adventure with their friends, but by making leveling so fast, the lower stuff isn't worth doing since you'll outlevel it. Why spend plat on a level 60 set of armour when it'll be useless in a few days?
    Back on topic... I don't harvest much, and I don't carry the tools around, but is there really that much a difference between 3.0 seconds and 2.5 seconds? If harvesting takes 3 seconds, will newbies quit, but at 2.5, they'll stay? I was working on the Ghoulbane HQ tonight, which requires 40 harvests in the Steppes, and had to get my alt's mining from 57 up to 90. Running around Antonica harvesting took less than an hour to do that, and half a second less per harvest is hardly noticeable. Even if it takes 3 hours to level up harvesting per tier, that's 24 hours of play time to max out harvesting - 12 days of playing, if the casual player plays 2 hours a night. Seems to me that the goal should be to stretch things out, in order for people to have a reason to stay subscribed. Sure, there's a balance between that and things being so tedious and making so little progress you want to gouge something out with a spork, but harvesting seems fine the way it is.
    A worthwhile change to harvesting would be to revamp the old zones (and I still consider everything after Everstorm and Lavafrost, or Sinking Sands onward, as new) to make the nodes non-random and instead appear in specific places.
    I also like the idea of influencing what's harvested. Maybe there could be tools (more for crafters to sell!) that make it more likely to harvest, say, loam, but less likely to harvest the ore. If the normal rate is (making up numbers here) 53% ore, 32% loam, 10% imbuing thing, 5% rare, then the tool could make it (for example) 70% loam, 10% ore, 3% imbuing thing, 1% rare, and 13% nothing - which counts as one of the three harvests. Then have another tool for ore, which reverses the numbers.
  4. ARCHIVED-Maroger Guest

The biggest change to harvesting they could make is to make ths skillups for trapping as fast as those for fishing. Trapping is biggest PITA to raise of all the harveting skills.
    Also could we return to more meat and less skins for den loot - no one want the pelts - you can't even give them away, but you need to meat for gathering obsessesion.
  5. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

I harvested for quite some time in T6 yesterday. I must say that items seem to stack fine and 54% double harvest between all my gear was a very nice addition). It's definatedly friendlier that way.
  6. ARCHIVED-Lera Guest

aroger wrote:
    Don't you need pelts to make books?

GothicHeart wrote:
    Ooo, I like this idea. It would be like the fungus in the Darklight Wood mushroom ring. More furniture is always good!
  7. ARCHIVED-Eileah Guest

Maroger wrote:
    We don't need more meat just for a quest, the quest isn't that hard yet you want to skew the entire ratio of harvest for dens in order to make one quest easier to do? It's not THAT hard.
    No one wants meat, many classes use pelts for their crafting, only provs use meat and that is rarely, I don't think that they are even needed in prov writs, they should be just to have a use for them.
  8. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

Eileah wrote:
    I levelled a provi those past few days, from T5 to T7. Meat is used a bit in the writs, espcially at level 50 for example, but not that much, and with the change to writs, you don't need to grind out recipes so use much less (I used something like 50 of each ressource in the 3 tiers I went through). End of tier food and drinks usually use bushes and no meat at all, so the need for meat dropped a lot. Basically, the only thing needing meats currently are the gathering obsession quests. On the other end, tailors, armorer, woodworker and carpenter still use truckloads of pelts to level.
    Definatedly, no, there is no need of adjusting the ratio meat/pelt.

EDIT: on the skill up topic, all the nodes are skilling up faster now (but on live they all skill up the same : slowly)
  9. ARCHIVED-Lera Guest

Whilhelmina@Storms wrote:
    T9 drinks use meat.
  10. ARCHIVED-Tigress Guest

Lera@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    after having done the gathering obsession 12 times, i firmly disagree and am eternally grateful that TPTB do not agree with you guys. rivervale is dreadful and often takes over 8 hrs to complete bc you need one or two more meats. it is the *only* part of the questline that is torture. thank goodness that TBTB are planning on making it more in-line with the rest of the questline.
  11. ARCHIVED-Layakilie Guest

Since the topic is here, i wanted to ask if its possible to adjust some zones for harvesting a bit? I recently skilled harvesting with my carpenter, she's a lvl 55 monk. I had severe problems in Rivervale (i just went there to to the gathering obsession part, took me hours and hours and i had to log on my fury twice to clear the spawns under heroic mobs- these almost insta-killed me. Rivervale was a pain , its the only area i really really hate.
    Sinking Sands then were fine, i stayed there until i was able to harvest t8- because tangling mire (not sure about the name, i don't use the english client) is indeed nice due to being able to choose which nodes you want- but my monk has not been able to harvest a single node there- linked aggro mobs everywhere. I can handle one mob- but thats it, one additional add and i can just pray for feign death to work.
    Compared to that, Kylong Plains, Sundered Frontier and Stonebrunt Highlands are way more easier. Yesterday i've been harvesting in sundered frontier the entire afternoon and evening (i really need a personal harvesting chests- 4 brellium ore yet to find) and nothing attacked me. I find it a bit strange that i can harvest peacefully in kylong and the SF areas, but cannot go on with the gathering obsession part in tangling mire until i advance as adventurer...

I do really like how i can harvest fine in t8/t9 without being a lvl 90 adventurer. I like having to sneak a bit, to be careful , to know that if the mob realizes i'm there i'm a onehit. I don't mind being onehitted after stepping too close. but i do need a chance. So far i don't stand a chance in tangling mire.
  12. ARCHIVED-Sambril Guest

Fayali@Valor wrote:
    Rivervale will be updated.
    Regarding harvesting for Gathering Obsession Part VII. You can find all the nodes you need in Tenebrous Tangle in the Overrealm. You may have to dodge some hostile mobs but it is possible with a low level adventurer.
    Fish from the river near the spire zone in (there is nothing aggro in the water just stay away from the banks), roots by the side of the pool at the top end of the river (avoid the temple guards), meat/pelts and wood from Ravasect Incursion point (you can stand safely in the centre and move to pick off nodes, be careful going in as some of the mobs patrol), plants can be found on Gazer Isle (sneak around to the back end of the isle along the hills and you should find some aggro free nodes)