Harvesting Changes Coming

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Frizznik, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Kizee Guest

Anobabylon@Oasis wrote:
    I was refering to everything in the game in general.
    It just seems like this game has become some online SIM/dress up Barbie home maker game. Between all the quest rewards that are house items and even RAID access quests that have all house items and appearance items all the way though the quest line.
    If people like that stuff then fine... keep it on your side of the street. Let the crafting missions/quests give house items or appearance items... not raid quests where "most" raiders could give a crap about.
    It just boggles me that there are sooooo many other issues with the game with BOTH combat and tradeskilling that making changes to something that wasn't even broken in the first place is a huge waste of time and limited resources.
    All this will do is make the harvesting skills like swimming was changed to (you run through a puddle and it is capped) ..... why even bother having the skill at all. /shrug
    This is comming from someone with 3 capped tradeskillers.....not some random end game raider that doesn't tradeskill.
  2. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

Umber@Guk wrote:
    Good suggestion.
    And just to clarify, though I've already done things 'the hard way' with 9 or 10 characters, I've got nearly another dozen I'm working up currently.
    Faster harvesting is great, messing up a working game mechanic while doing it and making more crafting items less desireable while doing so is not so great.
  3. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Feldon30 wrote:
    The cost of rares should never be considered as a reason for the obtained gear to matter more. That would be like saying "we can't sell the loot rights in a TSO dungeon for very much now therefore the dungeon needs to be harder so the loot will be worth more."
    BUT, the insignificant difference between haveing harvesting gear and not having harvesting gear (for the tools as well) makes the gear/tools pointless. Right now, without the change to harvesting, the difference between having tools and not having them is really marginal. The change to the tools will make them even more marginal and not worth getting. The skill boosting gear is.. well.. at maximum, a difference of 1-2% is inanely low and not really worth the time and bother to get the gear. That % really needs to be increased
    Getting a second chance harvest is nice, but really only if you want common harvests (like when you're crafting). There could/should be a new blue effect added (and which could be used for the potion, too) which, stacking with bountiful harvest, adds a decent chance to have an additional harvest from the 2nd table only or even another table entirely which only has 5, rare, and 10+rare as its options or even just rare and 10+rare.
    CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    While the Gathering Obsession does give a reward for running aroung in grey zones getting mats, I do think it would be worthwhile having a small chance of skill up and and even infinitisimal chance of getting a harvest from a node higher than one's skill. BUT only if there was a max of 3 attempts possible by someone without skill. Otherwise one could just stand at a single node with an AFK macro.
    Sambril wrote:
    I actually like the idea of nodes getting harder (taking longer) to harvest as they increase in level range. It matches the chance to harvest a rare getting more rare. AND if there was a chance to harvest on any node, the increased time to harvest could be increased further by one's lack of skill.
  4. ARCHIVED-MurFalad Guest

tkia wrote:
    I think the reward should be a harvesting potion too, maybe a 15% chance of double harvesting for 2 hours would be more appropiate.
  5. ARCHIVED-Sambril Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    Improving the effect of overcapping skills is a good idea and would make it worth spending the effort to get the extra bonuses.
    In my proposal the restriction on the tools only applying to their tier and above is probably too restrictive. All that's really needed is a hard cap of 2.5 secs. Any racial bonus should bypass this cap. I was trying to avoid using a high level tool to insta-pop low level nodes :) Original post amended.
  6. ARCHIVED-Nindaene Guest

Sambril wrote:
    I agree.. improving the effect of overcapping skills is a good idea.
    My main went out harvesting for 1 hour on one day and 4 1/2 hours a second day. I was only mining and had a skill of nearly 600. I specifically went for Brellium, but occassionally harvested the other nodes as well. I did not get a single rare out of it.
    I asked a friend who did a lot of harvesting to go out there and do some for me to see how long it would take him. He gets insane amounts of rares on a regular basis, and he doesn't have nearly the skill levels that I do. He went out, again with a much lower skill, and had 2 brellium in 10 minutes.
    Needless to say, I haven't gone out to try to harvest a rare since.
  7. ARCHIVED-Frizznik Guest

A lot of good discussion going on, I appreciate it! While I can't get to all these things before the GU60 lock I am keeping notes.
    As far as tool desirability, I can understand how they are less useful than they used to be. I want them to be desired and useful, but I think lowering the base harvesting time for the new player to 3 seconds is important. I want them to be able to enjoy the activity and growing into a more tolerable harvesting time seems rough. I understand the "walking uphill in the snow" veteran response, believe me, I am doing gathering obsession right now for the 4th time, but at some point you have to make systems more enjoyable for new players.
    That being said, what do you guys think could be added to the harvesting tools that would make them more interesting? I don't think that harvesting time reduction as a progressive system works well across levels. In trying to retain the value of the tinker made mining tools because they add skill, what could differentiate the woodworker tools to make them more valuable that isn't harvesting time reduction? Chance for double pulls? Some other wacky utility that has never been thought of?
    Also I did change the potion to be 5% double harvest chance, 15 extra skill, and .5 time reduction. Keep in mind that this potion is intended for the brand new harvester so it is aimed more at them.
  8. ARCHIVED-SgtPmpkn Guest

2 things that I see would be most useful or wanted by harvesters on tools would be:
    1. Chance for double harvest - this that would stack with AA and shawl. This would also be beneficial for lower level characters who do not have access to the shawl yet. The higher level the tool, the higher chance for double pull. Percentages are up for debate.
    2. Increased chance to pull a rare. The percentage behind the scenes is not known to me, but maybe a slight increase to the percent based on the inner workings of the system currently. This would ease the markets some on some of the higher priced rares.
    Maybe others have better ideas, but that's my take in a few minutes of thinking.
  9. ARCHIVED-Kizee Guest

Frizznik wrote:
    Uhhh.... the woodworking tools have a benifit of having all the tools in 1 to save on backpack space. (not sure if that is across all tiers or not)
    If you give woodworking tools a chance to double pull or another overpowered effect then you mide as well take the tinkering ones out of the game since +skill doesn't do squat for you. (unless you actually make +skill matter more in finding rares like previous posters have suggested.)
  10. ARCHIVED-Aelfan Guest

This is wonderful, and I really don't care that my toons are starting to get harvesting ponies, or that all the other changes I'd like to see are being neglected because you did this. It's great. However, I'd really like to see the logic applied to other non-combat delays. There are scads of other things that happen in quests, like pouring from bottles, zapping things, or picking things up, and also calling pets, or calling mounts, which take an absurd amount of time and/or have delays until they are "ready". It would also be nice, and reasonable, to be able to call mounts and pets while moving!
  11. ARCHIVED-Eshaac Guest

How about something that increases your chance at getting a rare. I've gone days at trying to get one stupid rare and have no luck...
    Eshaac
  12. ARCHIVED-Flittermouse Guest

Frizznik wrote:
    Some nodes are perennially underharvested. Perhaps the woodworking and tinkered tools could give a 5% chance of getting a surprise rare, a little glittery trinket noticed beneath the shrub or in the back of a den. This item would be presented as an unidentified but valuable item. Examining it would give you a choice--any rare of that gathering tier. That way you can go hunting for rares, and not have to just concentrate on one ore, but enjoy traipsing along the scenic route.
    Maybe one of the choices could be to get a mystery piece of gear from that tier, in case one is looking to raise transmuting skill and get dusts for adorning.
    Everyone loves a surprise, and if this could mean that every type of nodes in a zone were of interest to all, there'd be less frustration as it seems everyone makes a beeline for the one thing you're trying to get, too. ^.^
    Also, to make woodworking tools unique in their own way, they could be given a tracking function. If you're seeking more fallen trees or hidden ingots, it could have a tracking box for gatherables that would work most of the time. Since the tinkered tools give a boost to harvesting skill, this tracking ability for nodes would bring the woodworking tools up to par, but with a woodsy-outdoorsy slant. My own high level skill is tinkering, but it's made me sad that my lower level woodworker makes what feels like outdated items.
    And, if one is dreaming, make the tinkered and woodworked stack, but take the speed increase from the highest tool if cumulatively they would exceed the minimum time allowed. Eeeeven better, let the speeds stack, perhaps by half for the second tool, now that they'll both be rather slight increases. ~hopeful look~
    Thanks for talking this over with the community, Frizznik!
  13. ARCHIVED-Arrowheart Guest

Frizznik wrote:
    Chance for double pulls!
  14. ARCHIVED-LaurnaRose Fauldorn Guest

Frizznik wrote:
    Make each of the harvesting tool types from WW available at every 10 levels (add one set to lvl 10) with a 0.5% additional chance of harvseting a rare resource for every 10th level of the tool (@ lvl 90 tool would give a 4.5% bonus to pulling a rare), 1% chance to pull a double resource for every 10th lvl of the tool ( @ 90 would give 9% bonus chance to double pull).
    With the Tinker made tools, add a tool to lvl 86 giving +15 to skill and +30 to mining. Then add 1% chance to pull a rare and 2% chance to double pull for each set of tinkered tools addint to the % with each subsequent tool set (1%/2% = miscalibrated, 2%/4% calibrated, 3%/5% overclocked, 4%/7% new lvl86 tools).
    There would be a slight decrease in % bonus with the tinker made tools but you would recieve the + to skills making them unique. Each set would have its pros and cons and would be desired by different types of harvesters depending on what their overall goal is.
    I would also suggest to make it where the maximum reduction (under your proposed 3 second beginning time) could go to 1.5s with max level tools. Yes, I know this is an INSANE decrease in harvesting time, but why give your NOOBS a tweaky bonus to make things easier for them w/o rewarding your high level long time customers as well?
    I would also like to see an option to "pull entire node" (able to set this in options menu maybe or maybe even add a new tool set that would make this possible?) where we can combine our 3 pulls into one pull if we so choose. This would simply increase the pull time to 9seconds as opposed to 3 (and triple what the reduced time ends up being) and allow us to jsut horde all the resources at once rather than having to click click click. I personally would much prefer the increased pull time to clear the node with one pull. But that is my personal preference as all of my harvesters/trdeskill characters are also higher level adventurers and do not have to worry about getting ganked by "insert kill mob here".
  15. ARCHIVED-Frizznik Guest

Mings@Oasis wrote:
    Yeah, I think this keeps the tinker tools different because they add extra skill. Having the woodworker tools have chance for double harvests makes them different and unique so you would want both.
    I added 2% up to 10% chance to double harvest on the tools. So now they have the harvest time reductions and double harvest chance. Since double harvest chance can be found in a couple of places I will see if we can't get it displayed on the stat window somewhere.
    Thanks for the feedback!
  16. ARCHIVED-Barbai Guest

When is this update supposed to come in anyway?
  17. ARCHIVED-Nindaene Guest

Frizznik wrote:
    Ummmmm... I will WANT both - but I can't HAVE both.
    Up until now I have gone with the Tinkered Tools for 2 reasons... 1) They give skill bonuses which the Woodworker tools do not. 2) Most of my toons are Crafters and are babies and therefore cannot use the Woodworker tools.
    So now I'm stuck with the fact that you are adding a chance at a double harvest on the Woodworker Tools, but the majority of my harvesters that would benefit from that can't use them. I have only one toon that is 90/90...and for that one I now have to decide... is it better to have the added skill, or is it better to have the double harvests...
    I would love if there was some way that it could be changed so that we could use both. Perhaps if the level didn't matter and that any crafter or adventurer could use the Woodworker tools as long as they were either a crafter or adventurer of the required level (I believe the Sumac Kits might be like this already - but I cannot remember for sure). Then the Woodworker Tools could still be used for the time reduction, and the Tinkered ones could be skill bonuses.
    I just wish I didn't have to make a choice and that my crafters that need the extra mats could benefit from the Woodworker tools too. /shrug
    EDIT: Apparently the WW Tools can still be used if you have the appropriate crafting level - even if it appears red. Oh well. I'd still like to see them stack or something so that I could use both and not have to choose.
  18. ARCHIVED-Frizznik Guest

19. ARCHIVED-Bremer Guest

When will we able to see the changes on Test?
  20. ARCHIVED-LaurnaRose Fauldorn Guest

Frizznik wrote:
    Can you PLEASE make it where we can stack the WW and tinkered tools? Not for reduced time, but so that we can get the double harvest and the skill bonus? That way we dont have to choose? And could we PLEASE get a TS equiptment tab. Make it where we have to activate between Advent and TS gear, but give us a place other than our inventory to store the stuff? Oh that would be so nice.