Harvester please read.

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Lacidious, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Noaani Guest

Flaye@Mistmoore wrote:
    Thats the thing, to some people it WILL make a difference. To the overall economy it will not.
    The harvest bin for guildhalls will have an effect on broker prices, but since they are being added together, we will not be able to tell for sure what is doing what.
    I would love to see exactlyhow many raws are harvested on live servers now vs every raw that is used in crafting. I'd put those numbers aside fir now and then try and get the same info in 6 months, but with the number of raws obtained from this NPC also added in. Those numbers would likely be very telling with exactly how little of an impact this NPC will have over an entire server.
    Edit: as to the bolded part, the already are ;)
  2. ARCHIVED-donilla Guest

Everything I've read about this implies some strick limits on what it will do. 100 harvest in two hours, plus whatever it cost you to use the amenity? That is definately not as cost effective as going out and doing it yourself. So then why do it? I've been thinking about it and wonder if might have something to do with low level crafters needing materials from higher level zones. There's a whole thread devoted to ways for a low lever adventurer/high level crafter to get the pelts they need (for example) for ts quest. While I don't suppose this NPC will get the quest updates for you, it could make life much simpler for someone in this situation. Get smushed everytime you head to KoS for redwood? Don't have a toon in your arsenal who can do the harvesting for you? Send the NPC!
  3. ARCHIVED-Britefire Guest

it takes 2 hours before it gives you the non-rare materials, and it only gives 100

that sounds like it will really ruin harvesting

/sarcasm off

2 hours for 100 materials

jeese people over react on the smallest things -.-
  4. ARCHIVED-JesDer Guest

Wow .. Just WOW

There is no reason this NPC would be out in the world harvesting nodes.

This would make no sense from a development standpoint and the only reason to do it would be for immersion which is silly as well. We know they have QA tools that will harvest xxx pulls from a node using the same RNG calls that players use. Domino has stated this before. There is no reason not to reuse this code for this NPC (speeds up Dev time considerably).

The effect this will have on the harvesters is going to be small. How small depends on the details.

While this is 1 per guildhall, we do not know is this will harvest for more than 1 player at a time (correct me if I am wrong). We do not know if it will harvest rares (which is why most people farm harvesting). We do not know what "skill" is used which has a large impact on the QTY returned. We do not even know the exact time needed between pulls. How can we really judge the impact of this until it is finallized and put in the game??

Personally I think it should have a chance at rares but use the "Base" skill for the tier. This would give it 0 chance of using the bonus table which means the chance at rares would be very small.
  5. ARCHIVED-SkinnyFats_EQ2 Guest

Noaani wrote:
    I agree - it boggles my mind that people think there's going to be a mob of harvesting bots running around the world.
    Although the more I think about it, the cooler it sounds. Imagine this - you zone to the Antonica docks, waiting for the boat to the RoK zone. There's so many harvesting bots on the dock, you can't even target the stupid lotto goblin to waste money while you're waiting. When the boat arrives, you have to queue up with the bots. Then when you get to RoK, the bots go streaming off the boat like cruise ship tourists disembarking in the Caribbean. You can't even target the sokokar post because of all the bots in the way. This could be the most interesting addition to the game in a long time...
  6. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

kela wrote:
    To answer your question, no. I don't know how much SOE actually would have to put in. Do you? I don't think either of us is an authority. However, I do know that duplicating and cannibalizing existing code is a lot cheaper than coding from scratch. There are mobs already roaming the world we know in EQ2. I doubt it would be very difficult to have some of these simulate harvesting.
    Be that as it may, I'm inclined to agree that we won't see the bots outside the guild halls themselves. I was responding to other peoples fear of them taking over the landscape. Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing all the changes.
  7. ARCHIVED-wajamacallit Guest

Me I like this idea and here's why. I was levelling a alchy doing writs. Hit the next tier and one particular raw just exploded in price to the point I decided it was not worth continueing. Now I can send out my little friend to pick those raws, buy the others from the broker as before and continue on my way, albeit slowly.
    It would seem logical that the NPC will be sent after the higher value items, maybe T8 food and raws with a poor ratio of pulls to usage (loam? from memory) so these will see a price drop.
  8. ARCHIVED-JesDer Guest

Silken@Butcherblock wrote:
    Did you read my post? It would be much easier to cannibalize the code used to QA harvesting than it would be to create pathing for all these NPCs.
  9. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Lodrelhai wrote:
    good point there.
  10. ARCHIVED-Gorhauth Guest

Jeepned2 wrote:
    I still don't see how a silly slot machine can be called a bot. Are the Gigglegibbers bots too?

You know how much that fat little guy ruined the glowy market? None at all. I made a killing this expansion selling the rare glowies.
  11. ARCHIVED-drasklin Guest

Dreamaria wrote:
    This is already happenuing. Conjy has COT, goes to monk and uses CotH to group members that don't have tink call. We use this method all the time.
  12. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

We have confirmation, specifically from a dev, that these will not go out and harvest in the world? Because as ridiculous as some of you find the concept, without confirmation YOUR supposition on how things will be is as groundless as the supposition you're all riduculing Cusa and myself for.
  13. ARCHIVED-Qandor Guest

Twwig@Oasis wrote:
    It does 100 pulls which would mean 300 +/- material. Also the 2 hour schtick is getting old. That time is not a factor. Let's say I only have 3 hours to play a night, some of which time I normally have to use for harvesting on occassion. Now I no longer have to do so. Here is why.
    Wake up to go to work and log in real quick to send the harvest bot out.
    Lunch break - pop in to EQ2 for a sec and send the harvest bot out.
    Evening - on for my normal play session - send the harvester bot out first.
    Later that night - time for bed - but not before I send the harvester bot out.
    That is 1200 material a day, 42 full stacks per week, free and clear with no effort. For a cost of 4 minutes of my time daily, 28 minutes a week, I have 42 stacks of material. Go harvest me 42 stacks in 28 minutes. Why they seem hell bent on automating game content still remains a mystery but I'm waiting for the quest bot soon. Just tell him what quest you want done and go to sleep.
  14. ARCHIVED-Gorhauth Guest

Qandor wrote:
    You have to fight your other guildmates for the use of the harvester during those times. If none of them are using it, then you can, otherwise you are SOL. However, if you are logging in when you normally don't, and come home during lunch to log into the game, I think you have deeper issues you need to worry about.
  15. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Complete nonsense.

Someone did the math for this, and the harvesting bot can never harvest in 24 hours as much as ONE high level person harvesting for a few hours a day. It's just mostly a toy. Considering the financial cost of the guild halls and the bot, I cannot believe people are complaining about this.

A 1,000 plat guild hall, and the harvester bot is gonna cost something like 10 plat and 5 million status points. Is that gonna kill harvesting? I don't think so.

And considering one of the new Achievement Experience choices is Harvesting Boost to harvest more items per node, there is NO balance problem here.

Chill the heck out!!
  16. ARCHIVED-Plaguemeister Guest

As I recall that particulat amenity from the guild hall preview at fan faire - you click on the guy and come back TWO HOURS later and he has randomly harvested 100 raws for you - hardly a crippling factor for tradeskillers or harvesters. I know I can ahrvest much more than 100 raws in that amount of time.
  17. ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze Guest

I haven't read all the posts in the thread I'll be honest however I have skimmed over it to see the basic issues being raised so apologies if this has already been said.
    While I don't expect to see actual npcs running around harvesting "my" nodes I do think that this is a bad idea as it automates processes otherwise undertaken by player controlled characters.
    What needs to be explained is the harvesting level the "bot" has. If it is the level the player has then I maybe don't have that much of an issue. If the only way the player can still increase his proficiency is to go out and harvest himself then all to the good. What I don't want to see is maxed out bots harvesting low level tiers and getting multiple "10+1's".
    The next question is how do you "pay" for the service, if at all? Yes the guild would have to pay for it in the first place and maintain it but will players have to provide some sort of price in the same way that we have to "feed" the burynai?
    Maybe there is a good side to be seen however. Hopefully we may see the end of cherry picking node collectors leaving zones full of bushes and wood. Hopefully they will be the ones that will be utilising these "bots".
    Not happy overall though and waiting with trepidition for mercenaries to find themselves spreading over from EQ1 at some point too.
  18. ARCHIVED-Qandor Guest

Gorhauth wrote:
    Don't have to fight anyone. That could be one schedule. Others could cover the other time periods. With a bit of coordination the bot could run almost round the clock. So that's about 120 stacks a week for the guild. Do not have to come home from work for lunch if you work at home or have access to a laptop and an internet connection. In my case, I'm retired - I'm home all day. I could do better than the theoretical example. Now if you can get rares too - ka-ching.
    I'm against the idea on principle but if they put it in I'll run with it and so will quite a few others. I think others see the potential and that is why they are campaigning so hard to keep it in.
  19. ARCHIVED-Daroc Guest

Great idea.

And I hope in a coming LU we can access like 20 of these bots per guildhall. Harvesting is just stupid and is no fun at all, the people who like harvesting (do they really exist?!) should go to another MMO. THIS isn't the MMO for you.

I also like the idea of the uber guildhalls. It will make the cities absolete which is good for new players as they want to visit ghosttowns.
  20. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

I'm happy to hear about this bot. Most of my time in game is spent harvesting (8 TSers on live, 7 on test + harvesting for my guild). I will always harvest for hours on end, not to sell but to use or to deposit in guild bank. Having this bot would say that I would not anymore have to harvest fulginate or feyiron every 2 days to restock bank/guild bank. It would save me a little time. And I NEVER buy from the broker raws that cost more than 5 silver each, so it will not be game breaking for sellers and it will save me a little time. Not so much, but a little. That's one of the only things that I found good in guild halls...