Harvester please read.

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Lacidious, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Mr. Dawkins wrote:
    Or I could have missed the name of the item in all the cheering, I thought that was the Name of the NPC harvester, I guess I was wrong. That said I seriously doupt the Harvester would be cheaper then the "Supply Depot".

BTW, I was at Fan Faire how else would I be able to take a picture of something only shown so far at fan faire?
  2. ARCHIVED-Armmiller Guest

tikasa wrote:
    This is a truly terrific idea. It should be available to anybody who has levelled a main. After all, there is nothing worse then having to go back and grind all the same old, same old quests for the umpteenth time, just to level yet another toon. Now if SOE was actually doing something to make t2-7 interesting it would be a different story. But rt now t2-7 is merely fly over country -- a place you are sometimes forced to visit, but dont want to stay in very long. God it would be great for a direct flight.
  3. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Nephretiti wrote:
    You know I didn't even think about this, the Dev said it would randomly do 100 harvests, if the NPC does not harvest at player skill level then there would be a chance at hitting SnakeEyes and not getting anything.
  4. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Noaani wrote:
    Accually EQ1's population is about the same as EQ2 according to the devs, and sometimes surpasses it. Which is why they are still putting out expaintions and such. The differance between EQ2 and EQ1 is that in EQ2 everyone can solo to the cap and finnish a good percentage of the Content. In EQ1 there are classes that can't solo at all and even if your class can solo you still miss out on the vaste majority of the content. Now SoE could revamp ALL the content put in the game over the last 9 years to make it solo friendly angering the people that don't want that wich is likly the majority of EQ1 players, other wise they would be playing EQ2. Or they could add in NPC helpers that make soloing easier, while leaving the game itself alone. This is what they desided. Does that mean EQ2 will never get Mercs? no of course not, but by the same token just adding in something that harvests 100 times every 2 hours is hardly a president for Mercs ether. Unless the merc despawns 15mins after you buy it.
  5. ARCHIVED-Noaani Guest

kela wrote:
    Number of active accounts does not translate well to overall population in an MMO.
  6. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

This could be viewed as a small step to try to fix the problem with silicate loams. Cause you know every guild who buys this is gonna set it to harvest those nodes. Silicate loams are "cheap" at 3p50g. Tynnonium cluster are 2p. So Scouts and Fighters pay nearly twice for upgrades. Everyone's been asking them to fix the number of silicate loams in the game.
  7. ARCHIVED-dalaorn_eq2 Guest

You best be joking
  8. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    It hasn't been stated that this "bot" will return any rares OR materials yet. SOO while it does sound nice in theory I am going to go with the more generic reading of it and say that it will just give you raws and nothing else. Rares are still going to be just as expensive.
  9. ARCHIVED-tikasa Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    If it returns rares the uproar will be deafening.....
  10. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Why wouldn't it return rares?

And I've harvested over 100 of the appropriate clusters and have yet to find a tynnonium cluster OR silicate loam.
  11. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

piro wrote:
    I'm not against the bot. It could be a good thing. However, please explain waiting 2 hours. Are you frozen in place while you wait, unable to do other things or can you go off adventuring or whatnot and come back in two hours for your 100 pulls. Having to wait while you do other things is hardly a drawback or even a consideration in this discussion.
  12. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Noaani wrote:
    Depends on your definition of Active. I was not asking about active I was asking about the relitive population dencities. BTW, SoE tracks who logs into what game, thats how they Deturmin PotBS's cut of the Station All Access money.

IMO, Active Account means someone who not only has an Open Account(pays for it) but also logs into that account on a somewhat regular basis, and I was taking population with this dev not number of subcribers I would think he was talking about log-ins as well.
  13. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Silken@Butcherblock wrote:
    The wait is in referance to how effecent it is. It takes the NPC 2hours to do what it takes a Slow harvester about 15 to 20 minutes to do.
  14. ARCHIVED-Chickenlady Guest

And that 2 hour wait, for what one stack of raws at best, is why it would not spell doom for harvesters.

And if you only get maybe 1 stack of 200 of items that sell at best for 1cp, would it even be worth owning one? I would have thought the cost of purchasing and maintaining it would far exceed the benefits. OK so you could send it out for some of the higher priced raws (roots maybe), but even then it would still hardly be worth it.
  15. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Tajhia@Permafrost wrote:
    The idea of this thing is to fill in the gaps if you just happen to be short on supplies near the end of a Crafting seasion, and in that way I can see a benifit. That said I still think it will be the last or next to the last amenity purchoused.
  16. ARCHIVED-Noaani Guest

kela wrote:
    2 servers, 1 has a hundred people online for 6 hours a day, the other has 200 people online for 2 hours a day.
    Which would players claim has the higher population, and which would SoE claim has the higher population?
    Or, 2 servers, 1 has a hundred people raiding for 4 hours a day and doing nothing else, 1 has a hundred people looking for groups to do heroic content for 4 hours a day.
    If you made a character on each of these servers, which would you be more likely to find a group on?
    "population" in an MMO, especially when talking about looking for a group (which is the situation the NPCs in EQ1 are resolving) is determined by nothing other than number of player hours logged in - number of hours pre committed to other activities (such as raiding).
    EQ1, when looking at its population from the point of a new player, is practically non existant. While they have subscribers, and those subscribers log in on occasion, they do so almost exclusivly to raid. There is very little activity in EQ1 other than that.
    EQ2 will probably get there one day too, when all the casual players go off to play with the new shiny, and all that is left are raiders that have committed too much time to just up and leave.
  17. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

Noaani wrote:
    Oh my. This thread has come a long way from the destruction of harvesting.
    I gather the above refers to fighting bots in EQ1. That must have happened after I left. There was still enough of a population there to get to level 40 when EQ2 came out.
    EQ2 will need the fighting bots soon too and I will very much enjoy having them. There is plenty I can't do with my maxed out level 80 toons because I can't find a group, especially when I and my playing companion have a limited amount of time to devote in an evening. We are now leveling toons in the 60s at KOS and have to pick only those quests that can be done by two of us. I'd love to be able to hire some bots and do POA with them or Castle Mistmoore with our maxed out toons.
  18. ARCHIVED-Daroc Guest

Silken@Butcherblock wrote:
    I understand your point of view - BUT

Things like bots essentially destroy the whole social aspect of an MMO.

Can't find anyone? Hire a bot! This results in everyone hiring bots eventually without looking for groups.

If the massively part of an MMO disappears and they introduce bots to compensate it's time to move to another MMO.
  19. ARCHIVED-Storex Guest

The general gist of this system is similar to SWG's approach to resource harvesting. Yes.. you can wander around gathering resources by hand.. or you can have it automated whereas you can gather resources while chilling in front of the TV watching Family Guy.

I like it.
  20. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

Daroc wrote:
    We have some confusion going on here. You attributed my words to another.
    Be that as it may. I would rather continue playing this diminishing world of EQ2 with some bots than move to another MMO that doesn't have so much content that I do enjoy.