Constant plat spam in channel.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Charlice, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Charlice Well-Known Member

I'd cackle like a witch while I was killing them. it was awesome lol.
    suka likes this.
  2. suka Well-Known Member

seems there was a split though, for which i am extremely grateful because i didn't want to give up zam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGE
  3. suka Well-Known Member

i bet. the only reason it can't be done in eq2 is because it can only happen on one server - probably the server they don't go on.
  4. suka Well-Known Member

back in 2008 a wow gamer took ige to court. here are some sites with articles i found very interesting.
    http://www.trinity.edu/adelwich/worlds/articles/trinity.sam.kaminski.pdf
    about the way the gold farming and selling affects us and why it should be fought against.
    http://terranova.blogs.com/ige-classaction.pdf
    the actual documents used to file against ige
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...y-in-Player-IGE-Lawsuit-Speaks-to-The-Escapisan interview on the lawsuit
    http://virtuallyblind.com/2008/08/27/hernandez-ige-settles/

the settlement. they supposedly stopped selling on wow for 5 years. so i guess a bunch of people stepped in there to take their place. too bad we can't find a way to stop them forever. if only they would place a ban on such activity in this country and in all other countries. however i think most people don't realize what big business this is.
    Lucus likes this.
  5. Zoltaroth Developer

It's possible something broke the filter. I can take a look at it next week and see. It's worked for so long that I really don't look at it that often anymore.
    Zhaanish, Kurisutaru, Kuulei and 15 others like this.
  6. suka Well-Known Member

thank you so very much. i for one would really appreciate that
    Xillean, Feara and Charlice like this.
  7. Charlice Well-Known Member

Thank you, that would be awesome. And yes it has worked very well for years.
    Xillean, Feara and suka like this.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

yeah i hate spam. i won't even pick up the phone if i think a spam caller- a number i don't recognize - is calling.
  9. Rotherian Well-Known Member

With 8 people, it was probably somewhat automated, but if it had been 6 characters, then it would have been possible for it to be someone that was 6-boxing. I've never tried using auto follow with someone within a two-group 'raid' that was not part of the same group as me, so I'm not sure if that is a possibility. (Note: I've also never tried to box more than four toons at once - although running four is borderline hilarious - so I don't know if there would be any visible discriminator* between a set of boxed toons and a set of bot toons.)

* In this context, it means a visual cue that allows one to determine whether someone is boxing or botting.
    suka likes this.
  10. suka Well-Known Member

yeah if it had only been 6 toons i wouldn't have given it a second thought. but 8? since you can only follow someone in your group it was definitely an eye catcher.
  11. Siren Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, gold farmers aren't really "there" to change their in-game settings, they're running bot/macro programs on hacked, stolen accounts that typically get banned in a couple hours or less anyway. That's why they don't change settings, respond to you or anyone else, and it's why you could figure out their patterns. The ones sending /tells are automated and responding to programs that suss out players in their zones on the server, etc. They wouldn't see what you write nor would they speak English anyway.
  12. Charlice Well-Known Member

They understood me ganking them over and over again lol. Bots no, the farmers yes. It was a terrible inconvenience for them. Most of them just had rubbish gear on and didn't have gear in every slot.
    I have a feeling a lot of them leveled to sell the toons, plus the leather you got/get from skinning stuff sold for a fair bit of gold, even just to the npc's. I have a feeling this was before Rift went f2p, I didn't last there long after it did.

It was hilarious watching the bots. They honestly just walked around in squares, it's the only way I could describe it.
    The problem was a billion times worse there. I'm actually laughing as I type thinking about it.

They had big problems with bots fishing too. They solved that by adding a BIG SCARY MOB that popped after you'd been fishing there for a while, and were under level for the area. Also amusing.
    suka and Xillean like this.
  13. Xillean Well-Known Member

Ahhh that brings back such fond memories of doing everything I could to ruin a farmers day. You knew it was a good day when they started raging hard at you and you kept owning them over and over until they rage quit lol
    suka and Charlice like this.
  14. Charlice Well-Known Member

lol yep. it almost makes me want to log back in. almost. ;)
    suka and Xillean like this.
  15. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

You may be onto something there. Freeport had the 2-hour downtime Wednesday morning, and guess what? Got spammers now!!! Didn't before.
    suka likes this.
  16. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

I've been emailing abuse@godaddy to have their site removed. Seems this "xie wen" person has a few websites out there that are geared toward phishing. A minor setback for the spammers if anything.
  17. Deago Well-Known Member

I will actually send tells to the spammers and copy paste long songs or random crap ..ex.

/tell seller1234 "Good things from the garden! Garden in the valley! Valley of the Jolly Green Giant!"
    /tell seller1234 "Have you found Jesus?"
    /tell seller1234 "Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me! Oooo twice on the pipe if the answers nooooo!"
    /tell seller1234 "In the summertime when the weather is fine we can sit right up and touch the sky..."
    /tell seller1234 "In mother russia...plat buy you!"
    /tell seller1234 "My momma told me...you better shop around!"

etc...

I just get a giggle over thinking of some dude really gazing at the screen trying to figure out what the heck was just said...

lol

...if they will spam me...i shall spam back...spam wars!
    Kurisutaru, Kuulei and Charlice like this.
  18. Eles Well-Known Member

This is really annoying, in AB they even spam free and widely on /auction /general /highlevel and tells! Please do something! Petition is not even helping, some friends had petition and still waiting for answers :(
    I pay my sub for entertainment not to read spam from third companies in the game

:mad:
  19. Kander Developer

We're working on a fix for the filter guys. Shouldn't be too long.
    Kittybock, Alenna, Losadunai and 8 others like this.
  20. Xianthia Well-Known Member

Awesome news, thanks Kander. :)
    suka likes this.