Constant plat spam in channel.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Charlice, Mar 11, 2015.

1. suka Well-Known Member

but i really thought that the only time people turned their accounts over to outside people was for powerleveling. a plat seller has no reason to ask your password or access your account. they give you plat by buying useless items for an exorbitant amount of money. like if you put a low level crafted item on for 10k and they come in and buy it, after you have paid them. at least that is what i have heard. i have never heard of anyone being so stupid as to give a plat seller access to their account.

there are people that sell power leveling- especially on eq1 where it is much harder to level and get aas. those people would want access to your account because they offer to do that overnight. i have known a few people who got their accounts stolen from that and i just sit back, shake my head and think "how stupid are they"
  2. suka Well-Known Member

but they don't simply ban a toon. they ban the entire account. still, before they are banned, they can quite possibly make quite a bit of money- so much that the account more than paid for itself. all they need is a fresh email address. then they start and pay for a new account. and if their isp address gets banned, they contact their isp and ask for a new address. it's that simple. they don't even have to have a new isp or a computer at a different address. they can operate a network of computers and then bounce them off other computers. it's really quite easy.
  3. suka Well-Known Member

or someone like someone else i know decided they didn't want to play the game so instead of simply shutting their account down, they handed it over to what they thought was a kid who wanted to play. instead the "kid" was probably a gold seller. and they then begin to spam us. but the person who gave the account away with time still paid on it has no clue that they helped these people, whom i could call a bad name but i won't because i am better than that.
    Charlice and Xillean like this.
  4. Xillean Well-Known Member

I am not better then that and #!$%@^@#^ those spammers. Sorry I am so tired of tells and seeing channel overrun, I ignore one and freaking 10 more show up >.< Okay I feel a lil better venting now, sorry :D
    suka and Charlice like this.
  5. Charlice Well-Known Member

Who knows really. But whatever it is, I wish they'd get rid of them. And yep, I don't understand how any player could trust these people.

All I know for sure is it's pointless to put them on ignore, they don't stay on the same level 1, freshly rolled toon, long enough.

lol I go nuts. They make my blood boil. I was sending tells to some of them last night with the knowledge that they're probably automated bots. Meh, it made me feel a bit better.
    Thing is I ended up logging out because it just annoyed me too much to stay logged in. Half my in-game amusement is channel chat and they ruin it!!
    suka, Griff and Xillean like this.
  6. suka Well-Known Member

7. Griff Well-Known Member

It's funny because some posters in the other thread are complaining about the advantages that the SC store provides as being Play To Win. They insist that without the store, every player would be on a level playing field forced to earn their way through. Well Plat spammers found out as early as the second expansion of EQ-1 that some players will spend exorbitant amounts of money to gain an edge or bypass a grind.

Plat sellers are a evil bunch in that they cost the companies that provide online games millions per year in charge backs to credit cards. They will use the credit card info to establish accounts, purchase items and the like which the credit card owner will then claim as a fraudulent purchase. Plat buyers also at times find their accounts hacked at which point the gaming company is (was?) forced to use their resources to correct and investigate a compromised account.

And of course, the bots and farm teams of the Plat sellers also tie up resources of the game to obtain their wares to sell to their customers. The ironic part is that according to what the players say, they and no one they know, would ever buy coin in a game. Of course not! Yet somehow these companies rake in millions, go figure?
    Losadunai, Charlice and suka like this.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

wow players did a class action lawsuit against IGE. maybe we should think about doing that too.

this is what i was talking about with power leveling:
    and that is by far the most dangerous activity anyone can take part in. you actually turn over your account. it is far worse that the multi-million dollar industry of gold farming as far as stealing accounts and hacking them are concerned.

i think gold farmers should be illegal but they are in other countries for the most part and no country has any jurisdiction over them other than their own- which doesn't care. but these people are a much bigger threat to your account.
    Griff likes this.
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

The spammer has hit Butcherblock now... same message as posted here.. in auction and general channels

Edit: Oh boy.. and I just got a tell for it too...
    suka likes this.
  10. suka Well-Known Member

they have been hitting butcherblock all day. and someone on butcherblock hit the general channel a few minutes ago asking if anyone was selling plat. as if we didn't have enough spamming
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

Ah, I must have been lucky enough to miss it (I generally don't watch general chat). Did the click on name and report as spam bit.. for whatever that's worth...
    suka likes this.
  12. suka Well-Known Member

yeah most irritating. i really hate when people spam the channels for whatever reason. they ought to make a channel just for spam. then if someone really wants to see it they can and the rest of us could simply ignore it.

of course though, then the spammers would continue to spam general unless there was a way to enforce it
  13. Cisteros Active Member

it amazes me that this new wave of plat-sellers didn't get the memo that it's not 2005 anymore and there is a dramatically decreased pool of people to even sell to. Since they have to be gold to send their messages they probably lose money on the whole enterprise
    Sydnye, Kuulei and Gulaep like this.
  14. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned that the plat sellers are actually getting through. Somehow somewhere in the background something is not working as it used to. It's been years since I saw plat spammers. (I vaguely remember some plat spamming a couple of years ago, but could be misremembering the timing.)
    Sydnye, Charlice, suka and 1 other person like this.
  15. Gulaep Well-Known Member

I just got hit twice by a level one in Frostfang Sea while I was chatting in game with Moonpanther on Antonia Bayle. I did the /report + petition routine. I even sent them the link to this thread post too. Who knows? /shrug :( I am getting tired of this constant harassment. And yes, I consider it a mild-form of harassment, I call it "annoyance". :mad:

Of course, Moonpanther tells me "guess I've been lucky to not have seen it".

I can tell you first hand, she cheats - that's why! She logs off for bed! muahaha Smart move I guess. Everyone should log off and go to bed then the spammers could just spam each other instead. Well played Moonpanther, well played! :p
    Kurisutaru, Lateana, Charlice and 2 others like this.
  16. suka Well-Known Member

i have seen them on and off but usually it was because i reset my chat and forgot to unclick spam.

on eq1 anytime i open my ingame mail there is usually a bunch in my spam folder - all spammers wanting me to buy plat.
  17. Gulaep Well-Known Member

We need to get Ttobey the Red in on this; for he can "release the Quacken" and destroy them all!
    Kurisutaru, Kuulei, Awkk and 3 others like this.
  18. Gulaep Well-Known Member

They are sending tells directly bypassing that spam checkbox. I have spam unchecked in my chat options. :confused: Boggles me why that option is even there in the first place, who in their right mind would want to see spam to begin with? Sure, sure some innocent messages get marked as spam but how few and far between does that actually happen?
    Zookeeper likes this.
  19. suka Well-Known Member

yeah i think some go to a zone and do a /who and then send us all tells. what i would like to know is how do they find out who is on cross-servers
  20. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I've found that some channels will turn themselves on if they aren't already assigned to a window. Spam is one that used to do that all the time. What I ended up doing is making a window specifically for spam, then assigning that window to hold spam messages and channel join spam (i.e. the messages that run down the list of active channels notifying the user that the channel has been joined). Then I added that window as a tab on an existing window, so I don't have to see it.

However, I don't generally pay attention to general chat unless I'm super bored and nobody from my guild happens to be online, so I couldn't tell you if there are any spam messages bypassing the filter and making it into general chat.