Chainmail Bikinis!

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-LordFyre, Nov 28, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-AtomicPenguin Guest

Breg@Permafrost wrote:
    I disagree about the try WoW thing, but there's no arguing that it does equipment right there.

Appearance is just one aspect of the game, but it's the one where EQ2 needs help the most. The gameplay here is great. The places to go and see are great. Quests are good. Races and class choices are better than anything else out there in my opinion. The one place EQ2 falls flat is in its character graphics.

Let's face it, we all play an online game where we spend hours and hours fighting and questing to get new stuff to play dress up with. If that new stuff doesn't look inspiring enough to make it all seem worth it, that's an enormous problem.

More variety and better looking armor and characters are a vital selling point for an MMO. We spend literally days of play time just building up our character, so ultimately those characters are what everything we do here is about. Creating a real desire to see what you can get next is, by most indications I've ever seen, based on looking and feeling cool in those new duds you just worked so hard to get. It's what adds life and longevity to the game.
  2. ARCHIVED-Dragowulf2 Guest

WeatherMan wrote:
    I have to disagree....look at television these days, you there is almost always some commercial of some titty boppin` hoe (network stations). It might be teen, but it's not what is was 10 years ago. If we could bring people into the future from the 90's and bring them here and see some of the things they would be appalled.

Anyways, it looks to me that the Dark Elf Females in L2 were slutty, even if it was a teen rated game. If I saw one on the street I'd think it was a daytime hooker. I'm not saying I don't like the DE, but they were slutty in L2 no doubt.

I'm for something appealing, cute, and revealing, as long as it's not hookerwear. (This is because I want EQ2 to be a better game and not just like everyone else; selling out)
  3. ARCHIVED-retro_guy Guest

I for one hope we NEVER see sexy female attire.

My best friend started a sexual online relationship (in WOW) with a wood elf - who was undoubtedly a teenage boy (or 45 yo male).

They used to take all their clothes off (or all you could) and emote on top of one another.

It wasn't a good thing. His wife would not have been amused either.

Say NO to woodelf exploitation!
  4. ARCHIVED-Dragowulf2 Guest

retro_guy wrote:
    That's really pathetic.

People do it anyways in EQ2. I once saw some person cybering kerras(accidentally posted a few line in the 1-9 chat channels). I've also seen some orgy cyber channels. It's sad...

P.S. I know they were kerras because it had something to do with furry legs.
    drago.
  5. ARCHIVED-Offem Guest

I'm all for sexier attire for both males and females. I'm not talking about leather and lace or a chippendales bowtie. No, I'm talking something classy, tasteful, sexy, and above all, really nice to look at. I love the Lineage II outfits and I would love to see something like that in this game. Visual appeal is a market seller hands down; take that appeal and combine it with the already awesome graphics EQII has, and bada bing! You've got yourself an even nicer game indeed!

P.S. As far as the cybering comments...well, you're gonna get that in most online places, in-game or not. Hence why it's called cybering.
  6. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

retro_guy wrote:
    People will cyber no matter what the game or what the attire. Period. In fact, people do that now in EQ2, so banning stylish and/or sexy attire will not suddenly stop it from happening.
  7. ARCHIVED-Lasai Guest

bleh, never mind
  8. ARCHIVED-LordFyre Guest

Lasai wrote:
    Actually, I think the image you posted
    [IMG]
    is quite wonderful (Not to mention, SMOKING HOT too). It is exactly the kind of Option that I think would make the game more enjoyable for many of us.
    As are the modifications you made to your avatars for EQ2 Players. Would that the game allowed those kind of looks.
  9. ARCHIVED-Sasandra Guest

Ohh, I really like that one, even just a little can go a long way.

Here's a photoshop I did way back that's on a simliar idea with the current models/armor, just with some skin showing.
    [IMG]
  10. ARCHIVED-LordFyre Guest

Of course, you two make me wish I had talent. I would love to be able to do that kind of work with my own avatars. (Which are almost all male.)
  11. ARCHIVED-WeatherMan Guest

Dragowulf2 wrote:
    I am, admittedly, not qualified to comment on the state of TV commercials today, as it has been several years since we even had cable TV service (and you can't even get a decent commercial TV signal around here without basic cable, for some reason). Most TV these days, cable or not, is spew anyways. Until I can get cable a la carte, I won't even bother.

Regardless, you proved my point when you said "it looks to me that the Dark Elf Females in L2 were slutty". The key point being is that it looks that way to you. As I said (more than once) filth is in the mind of the beholder. I do not think the outfits are indicative of a desire to make money by using their 'attributes' - but more indicative of a cultural or social more that stresses such outfits. Otherwise, money-making through streetwalking would likely be a viable method of <koff> 'tradeskilling' in these games.

To automatically assume that a fantasy denizen thusly attired is a streetwalker is pointing more to ascribing 21st-century Western values (which still have deep roots in Victorian England) than it is in understanding that the outfits are more or less normal on the alien world (like Norrath and...whatever the name of the Lineage world is...) in question. I refuse to jump to conclusions or make snap judgments about things of this nature, because in fact I have no idea what the person who designed the graphics intended for such clothing to represent.

Certainly, the clothing's brevity can only aid in the game's sales - but one point being made is that EQ2 has just the opposite problem, with unimaginative and lackluster styles being foisted off on us as 'fashion', despite attractive and eye-catching box art and alpha/beta screen art of a myriad of absolutely stunning armor and clothing options (this is known as 'false advertising' ).

Edit: Smiley control
  12. ARCHIVED-Birna Guest

With the combination of the "Appearance" tab and the coming skeleton revamp, we need the designers to add more "fluff" type armors to the game.
    Because, we know from the long traditions of fantasy-themed Anime, Art, Comics, Computer Gaming (Role-playing games in general), that . . .
    • Women warriors favor stiff metal beachwear.
    • Ladies following roguish professions lean towards the skin-tight cat-suit look.
    • Females who practice the arcane arts wear little strips of translucent gauze over their naughty bits.
    Aw gawd, not again. This has always been a pet-peeve with me after years of playing D&D
    -Who goes to a friggin war wearing a bikini??!
    I'm a female, but I wouldn't want to see male toons in chainmail tangas, even if they looked drop-dead gorgeous. It's ...just....tooo......lame
    I agree one one thing though; We definately need more fluff armour. And I'd love to see more styles in that npc clothing, -not just a zillion color choices of the same outfit as there is now.
    *edit*
    Oh, and pleeease, more styles in robes as well! Maybe some open robes? And what about tunics?
  13. ARCHIVED-Sasandra Guest

Birna wrote:
    Who has long pointy ears and cast spells, or when have women even really fought in war aside from more modern times? Everquest is a high fantasy game and that is how armor is in high fantasy, this isn't a real life medieval simulator, and the puritan styling doesn't even fit into the Everquest universe, look at all the other Everquest based games, they all have their fare share of skimpy armor, reality is a poor reason to argue why a fantasy game shouldn't have something.
    Also even reality there were plenty of cultures that went to war wearing stuff that in some cases wasn't all that covering or protective such as Romans and many clutures in Africa.
  14. ARCHIVED-Lasai Guest

LordFyre wrote:
    Oh wow the picture link worked lol. I am a forum dummy.
    My point in posting it was that a little skin can make a big difference, this is SOE Art basically. I just played around with it in photoshop. I don't see slutty here, but I guess some would.
    and thanks for the complement.
  15. ARCHIVED-AratornCalahn Guest

Elysara@Mistmoore wrote:
    I bet they all got comments that they were slutty and needed to stop demenaing all women with thier pandering to male desires .... while chopping them up with axes.
  16. ARCHIVED-Lasai Guest

Another rework of one of my screenshots, and again, I don't think things like this would hurt the game.
    I think this is classy and sexy, far from slutty, and I wish my toons could look like this.
    Apologies to Lord Fyre, I touched up the image and he lost the link he did for me below.
    I saw stuff I didn't like and couldnt stand it, so I messed things up when I fixed it.
    bleh :p
    [IMG]
  17. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

Lasai wrote:
    I rather like that. I did something similar some time ago for one of my druids. I would love it if she could actually dress like this in game. I don't view something like this as smut. She's even got a dark brown cotton slip on under the armor, but since she's dancing, it's hiked up the leg a bit to look more natural.
    [IMG]
  18. ARCHIVED-Lasai Guest

Oh Sapphirus I really like that one.
    and not scandalous at all.
  19. ARCHIVED-LordFyre Guest

Lasai wrote:
    Yes, it is quite good too.

I think that the point is that with through the use of "fluff" type armor pieces (specifically for the Appearance Tab) it is possible to add options that will appeal to a variety of tastes.
    (Now that Lasai has fixed her own link, I don't need to keep it here)
  20. ARCHIVED-Boltarr Guest

Does anyone have any accual fact or quotes from devs about the apparent Graphic system update thats in the works? Is it a major project or just something their messing with that may or may not be released in the next year or two?
    I hear fingers and belly buttons but other then that no real info. Post what you have found / heard (plz reference it if its something from a dev).