--Bounties!--

Discussion in 'PVP Discussion' started by ARCHIVED--Arctura-, Jan 6, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Norrsken Guest

Wytie wrote:
    Security though obscurity is the worst possible way to make something not exploited.
    And afaik, the token systems are still being exploited, as are the infamy systems?
    the more complex something is, the bigger the potential exploit becomes. Dont make something stupidly complex just to curb exploits, just put simple time barriers on the simple system instead.
  2. ARCHIVED-Sightless Guest

If you don't want them to exploit it, make them lose a title if they die. One or two title loses would make some of these guys whine.
    And it would give some of us players a chance to self control exploiters. See someone cheating to General, place a bounty on their head and have that General title removed. See people hugging carpets and zone walls to save their title, put a bounty on their head to have it removed.
  3. ARCHIVED-BWLeeEllison Guest

Sightless wrote:
    I couldn't agree more. If Sony can't or won't do something about the cheaters, exploiters, and buttheads, the bounty system allows the players to do something about them.
    Before anyone says it, yes I am aware they can do something without the bounty system. But guess what? Sometimes, people need incentives. Being someone's guildmate isn't always enough. Being someone's RL friend isn't always enough. Throw cold hard cash on the line and the deed will be done. If you aren't strong enough to pay back that yellow or better con and can't get someone else to take them out by just asking, bounty.
  4. ARCHIVED-Vydar Guest

Armironhead@Vox wrote:
    On Vox, what would stop this from happening?

And a significant infamy hit for a bounty hit is silly imo.

Take a hated player on the server, who is hated because of his title.... Shook. Emolad.

They would have 5 hits on them immediately, and people would always be carrying said hits.

Now these two don't come out of their cities.

Less PvP.
  5. ARCHIVED-Novusod Guest

Until I see a dev comment on this I am taking this as a hoax.
  6. ARCHIVED-Quinath Guest

Novusod wrote:
    -Arctura- wrote:
    That's good advice!
    imo, any system that starts tossing around in-game currency between players has to be bulletproof. A bounty system would and could never come close to being bulletproof. The forums, rather than in-game, are better for paying your respects to players you'd like to see dead.
  7. ARCHIVED-Taldier Guest

BWLeeEllison wrote:
    To everyone here who actually thinks bounties are a good idea:
    If you cant figure out how to exploit a bounty system, you are likely one of the idiots who would be putting bounties on people while the rest of us have our guildies help us rob you blind.
    Personally I'd almost hope they implement something like this, but only because I need plat and know a few q's who are probably stupid enough to put a bounty on me.... (if you were all merely agreeing with this idea for this reason then Im sorry for blowing your cover)
    Just as a notice to anyone who hasnt bothered to read the whole thread and jumps to the last page:
    THIS IS FAKE, THE SCREENSHOTS ON THE FIRST PAGE ARE NOT REAL.
  8. ARCHIVED-BWLeeEllison Guest

Taldier wrote:
    1. Some of us have enough integrity and self respect to not exploit just because it can be done (Anyone can jump off a cliff. Most of us choose not to).
    2. I would like to see something like this implemented just because it would have some seriously positive changes on PvP.
    3. The line in red was not put on the thread for quite some time after the thread was started, so some people who DID read the entire thread from day 1 may not have looked at the OP (due to checking the thread again via their email).
  9. ARCHIVED-Echgar Guest

Let's have a discussion without the namecalling please. Disagree with each other if you wish, but when you insert words like "idiots", "buttheads", and similar it just leads to someone assuming that name was meant for them and a flame war erupts. Keep your disagreements constructive and courteous please.
  10. ARCHIVED-Armmiller Guest

Vydar@Vox wrote:
    any effective bounty system would have to also alter the way city kills are allowed in the game. imo having a bounty on your head means your not safe anywhere. so plp couldn't hide in cities etc. The only way to avoid the bounty would be not to play. So IMO an effective bounty system would create more oppotunities for pvp. For instance if a player was truly hated by an opposing faction and a huge bounty was put on him and he stayed in city for safety -- reasonably we could expect bounty hunters to try and infiltrate the city looking for him. Plp in the city would respond -- not necessarily out of a duty to protect the player but for the usual reasons -- target of opportunity, token, infamy, etc. . . Hence, by bringing the opposing sides together SOE creates pvp.
  11. ARCHIVED-Armmiller Guest

Taldier wrote:
    Just to start out, I know that the screenshots are "fake" and I am mightly disapointed that they are. Doesn't mean that it is not a good idea. The fact that a bounty system -- however hypothetical -- is potentially exploitable is not a legitimate argument against such a system. Perfection is not a human trait. No system can be "bullet proof," perfect in its implementation. Sure there will be people that game the system -- there always are. The question is -- and the only question relevant herein -- is whether if SOE created such a system they could limit the impact of those players against the players who don't seek such exploits. Surely as time goes on SOE could patch exploits that become apparent if they are game impacting. But if they don't ask yourself -- how do these "Exploits" effect you and your game play? If you don't like the bounty system -- or believe you are merely giving your money to opposing players -- don't use it.
  12. ARCHIVED-Izzypop Guest

A mod already responded to this post. If it were Fake one would think he would say something about it.
    The only big fix that this needs is away to prevent someone from collecting the bounty on their own head.
  13. ARCHIVED-Wytie Guest

Izzypop wrote:
    The only way thats even close to possiable is if the person never knew they had a bounty on them in the first place.
    Maybe if something else was used instead of cash, something like status. I mean why use cash as a bounty why dont we use status as the bounty currency. Sure its not fool proof but we get status off killing each other anyway why not use that as the means to seek revenge of your death.
    I mean wouldnt you love 100k status and a guild anouncement that you collected a huge status bounty. This would not effect the cash market and yet still give a reason to collect. I would have no problem placing a status bounty on every single person that kills me why not its just status. just would have to make it only effect personal status and not guild status or it would give folks a reason to explot for guild levels.
  14. ARCHIVED-RoXxer Guest

NICE! Finally they are doing something about PvP!! :D Maybe I should start playing on my toon there again!!
    When is this system going live?? Anyone knows?
    YAY! This made my day :D:D:D
  15. ARCHIVED-Wytie Guest

RoXxer wrote:
    might want to read closer first heh
  16. ARCHIVED-Kram337 Guest

This would be soo freakin cool! Talk about adding a really nice flare to the pvp system. We could use some flare. Shenanigans requires 20 peices themselves!
  17. ARCHIVED-Rethaneu Guest

I'm really glad this turned out to be fake. As someone posted earlier in the thread, UO had this exact system in place other than the fugitive title, and it just meant people killed their buddies all day for the bounty money.
    It just plain doesn't work.
  18. ARCHIVED--Arctura- Guest

Taear@Venekor wrote:
    (( actually, the official documented mechanics system we had designed for a propsed Bounty system was never publically released in full, only pieces of it were revealed here and there to correct peoples assumptions.

What many people may have in their heads as the 'way this Bounty idea works' is most likely a small piece of the greater picture.

A rough copy of the design was presented in person to a developer for SOE in vegas last year and its potential loop-holes were briefly discussed and remedied (in theory) to prevent exploitation, which is, unfortunately, quite inevitable anyways. But which system is perfect?

The bounty system we worked on can be called 'similar' to UO's bounty system, but nowhere near 'exact'.

In full, the system on paper is infallible, but realistically, EQ2 cannot be redesigned for a simple small pvp element such as this, so it isnt feasible; given the budget and time constraints of implementing such, as stated in the OP
  19. ARCHIVED-Saintedone Guest

How friggin gay!!!!
    Just another reason to role more scout classes out!!!
    Another reason not to go out and PVP!!!
    On the face I was like yay GOGOGO Bounty Hunting, but in reallity players will be able to check bounties on there heads from city to city. How many of you are really going to put a bounty out on a swashy or assassin when you know this is a major piece of crap. Can anyone say EXILE lol.
    They should work on solo class balance instead of adding this fluff. With the time and effort they could put in Tinkered Crystal Balls mages can use to track with ( had to Im a mage lol). Fix the current completely outta wack resist/mitiGAYtion BS that hurts the pvp game. I was dropped in 4 sec for over 5kdam without even so much as a reacharound by a tallanted assASSin. His AA makes him untargetable and that didnt really matter because I can cast anything while stunned all to heck (/rant, sorry).
    Anyhow my point is simple FIX the PVP servers for PVP =
    1= PVP gear thats for PVP
    2= AA lines for PVP
    3= CA resist gears
    Tracking for ALL yes ALL via totems and or tinkered items
    The time and energy implimenting a system that the players will figure out how to EXPLOIT before it goes live is foolish at best.
  20. ARCHIVED-kujino Guest

i know this has nothing at all to do with bounties but i really need some help.

I'm having major problems with my computer (currently on a friends) and have not been able to play for a few months now, i have a guild on the Vox Server called Draconic Elite.

I would appreciate it if someone could please tell them that i am coming back for i do not want it to fall apart....

Thanks a ton...once again sorry for not having anything to do about bounties