Announcing "EQII Mobile" for your phone!

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper, Jan 27, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Bhagpuss Guest

Thanks for the insight into how things are working there, Smokejumper. Pretty much confirms what I thought.
    It seems to me that some EQ2 players have a completely unrealistic view of how important EQ2 is within the SOE setup, and how important SOE is to Sony. Since SOE don't release subscription figures we actually have no way of knowing how many people play any of their MMOs, whether EQ2 is at the top of that list, in the middle or near the bottom.
    EQ2 is a six year-old MMO in a highly competetive marketplace. I think that seeing it as SOE's "shop window" is delusional. DCUO is the current shop window. Soon it will be PlanetsideNext. After LotRO going F2P and with Rift, SW:tOR and GW2 all due out sometime this year, the growth potential of EQ2 must be looking smaller and smaller to whoever holds the purse strings at Sony. MMOs are time-consuming to play, people tend to plump for just one or two at a time, and the AAA market is getting crowded.
    SOE also has a long history of introducing services that are buggy or incomplete at launch and then failing to maintain or develop them. We could all make a list. The phone app (which I like) will be another. The upside is that most of these are free. The downside is we get what we paid for.
    I just hope that all or most of SOE's forthcoming MMOs, from DCUO onwards, are big successes. If they weren't, I would fear for the future of EQ2 and the rest.
  2. ARCHIVED-Emlar_from_Halas Guest

I've been recently installing RainMeter v2.0 and I was quite keen to develop a skin and dll for guild chating.
    Is there public API to login an EQ2 character, receive and send guild messages ?
    I suspect that there are some APIs that have been used to develop the EQ2 mobile solution, but are they public ?
  3. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

only thing this app has said so far is "Server timed out while processing request." Any idea how to get it to work?
  4. ARCHIVED-Lossewen Guest

please launch this for nokia/windows phones via ovi store.
  5. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Bhagpuss wrote:
    I Disagree with the idea that the phone app will be another, not because I think that the EQ2 version is of any real importaince to SoE. The reason I think it will eventually work well, is the same reason the station store, LoN, and alot of other "not really in game" systems with the EQ2 brand work relitivly well. We are testing out new Tech for there next title. LoN was testing there ablity to make Card Baised games befor buying the company that makes them. The Station Store was testing the buying and selling system built for FreeRealms befor it went live. And this app is testing the "play it anywhere" system they are building for The Agency.
    For those saying why didn't you spend the money repairing the site instead of to build a new app, the answer is that this new app tech is not being build just for(or even IMO primarally for) EQ2 it is being built for The Agency, we are just being used as testers to get all the bugs worked out befor they add it as a feature in a New Game. One of the key features they talked about with The Agency was that we would be able to get info on our phones about things going on in game, and respond in a way that effects the game.
  6. ARCHIVED-Lantis Guest

Tell the web platform team to give us data feeds, and the community will take care of the rest.
  7. ARCHIVED-Emlar_from_Halas Guest

Lantis@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    +1
  8. ARCHIVED-Aurorrae Guest

So I was excited to try this when it was first announced, only to find I had to wait for the BB app (which was not stated in the first announcement.)
    That's okay.. development happens.
    So I was excited to find that the BB app was available! I just tried to get the BlackBerry app... and no luck. So i emailed customer support and was told that its not available for the BB Storm 2 and probably won't be. yay.
    I understand that there are technical limitations on things, but I really wish you all would be more accurate with your advertisements/announcments.
  9. ARCHIVED-Katz Guest

I got the blackberry app but it times out everytime.
  10. ARCHIVED-Elifin Guest

So... when is eq2players being fixed?
  11. ARCHIVED-erinn Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    Tried this for the first time last night on my iPad, and that's all I saw - "Server timed out..."
  12. ARCHIVED-Elifin Guest

Cerinna@Everfrost wrote:
    Thank you for your input, it is working as intended.
  13. ARCHIVED-ccarro63 Guest

Yup...times out everytime I try to log in.
    Is it me or does it seem like every single web related thing associated with EQ2, gets developed and released, but then nobody is ever around to maintain it?
    EQ2player, EQ2mobile, Fortune League, Station Launcher...etc
    None of these seem to be working...ever.
    Great Job SoE.
  14. ARCHIVED-mjlinton2 Guest

If you guys pay attention to this thread SJ made a new thread for issues that you have with it so AFK can fix it
  15. ARCHIVED-PR3CIOUS77 Guest

Any word on if the Blackberry Storm is getting this app... Im surprized it doesnt already have it
  16. ARCHIVED-threat111 Guest

PR3CIOUS77 wrote:
    you are not missing anything. Ive been tryn to log on every day since they released it and it hasnt worked once. At this point the only reason I try is to reinforce my feeling about the direction of eq2
  17. ARCHIVED-Bladak Guest

Please develop a Win Phone 7 version. It is quickly becoming the platform of choice for most of us XBox gamers.
  18. ARCHIVED-Therendil Guest

My wife and I both tried this. It doesn't work. My wife spent some time at the support forums and noted that the devs had two reponses to every complaint: 1 - You're doing it wrong, and 2 - It's on the list. We may fix it some day.
    I especially remember one response in the thread about login problems. The user complained that she could only rarely login and kept getting the same error. The dev response was "You're typing the username or password wrong." The user then asked why she could log in sometimes and other times not when she was making multiple attempts without retyping the username and password each time. The dev response? "Oh, well, that's your case." Wouldn't admit that the app simply fails.
    We've both deleted the app.
    -= Therendil =-
  19. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

EQ2Players when it worked was leaps and bounds over the mobile app.
    Currently neither are worth the time to load.
  20. ARCHIVED-Anerak Guest

i havent been able to be successfully logged in since launch day. i run an android with a pre 2.0 OS lately, i *have* been able to get to character select, and what's SO awesome, is that it has EVERY toon i have EVER made on that account is on the list... except i bought an 8th slot to visit other servers. so yes, i have numerous toons to choose from, same name & server even, that have been deleted for at least a week, and by the time i finish scrolling through dozens of level 1-3 Casiphiafromguk's to find an actual character, i'm booted. typically, server connection lost before i get past character select screen. takes up too much room on my phone & it's not worth keeping at this point