All dressed like Grandma's?

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Banshee505, Sep 25, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-LordFyre Guest

AratornCalahn wrote:
    I don't know if it is the "number 1 most important thing," but it is really important. I think that this was one of the reasons that City Of Heroes did so well, at least initially. Their character customization tools are really awesome. But, WoW is at the other end of the spectrum, and their lack of customization hasn't hurt them that much.
    The idea of an "advanced layed clothing system" sounds cool, and would address many of the ideas that different players have about how their characters should look. Would it cause "lag" problems?
  2. ARCHIVED-LordFyre Guest

Romero@Mistmoore wrote:
    Okay. Some of your wording seemed strange, so I wasn't sure of your meaning.
  3. ARCHIVED-AratornCalahn Guest

LordFyre wrote:
    WoW seems to break many nice theories dosn't it but I think it can all be explained. WoW is far easier to get into than any other MMO ive played (LOTRO comes close) but for graphics I belive that the less detail an outfit has the more your mind "role plays" to fill in the gaps. I have personal experince of this from way back playing things like UFO Enemy Unkown and Fallout. My favourite armour was the black leather with one arm missing and a cool shoulder pad, Mad Max style. Now the detail was of course terrible but if a similar outfit in a mordern game was made it would have to work MUCH harder to achive the same emotional response.

Another example of this is watching movies where they cut to something else just a milisecond before something 'bad' happens and your left with what you imagine would have happend but you didn't really SEE anything your mind took over and filled in the gaps. Examples like this are everywhere.

Its true that Gameplay > Graphics, but everygame has a shelf life its just a matter of increasing that as far as possible and in that regard EQ2 has far to go.

As for "lag" everything you put into a game will lower performance and possibly increase the amount of data needing to be passed over the internet. Everyones point of "lag" performance or network is totaly dependant on thier own circumstances, so yes and no, lol. I would never expact to see anything like that in EQ2 though.
  4. ARCHIVED-VladisSar Guest

more guildwars sample.
    just for comparecen
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  5. ARCHIVED-einar438 Guest

I could simplify my own wishes, I think some might agree. Actually I'm just in favor of more unique looks. I am tired of every plate armor look being one of 3 templates, every chain armor look being one of 2 templates, etc etc.
    I'm all for chainmail bikins. I'm all for loincloths. I'm all for kimonos, hakama, bunny fur cloaks, fur lined boots, leather chaps, vests, thigh high stiletto boots, biker style boots, pirate boots, realistic viking helms, Samurai helms with the scary masks, sandles, clogs, spiked arm bracers, bare arm looks, samite gi's, Lady Aribeth platemail bathing suits, teutonic plate, ninja brigantine, even some of the asymetrical wild looking stuff from the Final Fantasy and Guild Wars games. Tall order yes. I'm a demanding consumer, I want the most bang for my buck (no double entendre intended).
    I have to say I am a little unhappy when players say so pointedly that they "don't want" some kind of style because it is "too slutty" or something like that. Fantasy should be exotic and different, and the variety is never going to be 100% "slutty." The more there is, the more choices there will be, from conservative to provocative. It is disheartening to see people give feedback to take styles and looks out of the game, when IMO there should be more in it. Saying "I want X but not Y" is a little discourteous to other tastes. Why not instead say, "I want X as well as Y?"
  6. ARCHIVED-VladisSar Guest

i totaly support Ikarri - give us 500 looks instead of 50, and people can sure choose themselves what they realy like.
    Of course I am not sure what kidn fo effect massive ammount of looks will have on min PC reqs.
  7. ARCHIVED-Cercsij Guest

If I want slutty, sexual and provocative I can wait a few months for AOC.

But I don't want that. I'm fine in Norrath.
  8. ARCHIVED-DBozLizardman Guest

Just dropping in my 2cp ... and since a picture is worth 1000 words, allow me to share a few of Norrath's own (props to the artist(s), I really like these) ...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]
  9. ARCHIVED-LordFyre Guest

Rikshanthas@Lucan DLere wrote:
    [I removed Rikshanthas's pictures from my reply for size reasons . . . only. ]
    But, Rikshanthas, Since you are including SOE art from outside the game, you left out a couple of pictures . . .
    [IMG] , [IMG], [IMG]
    [IMG]
    . . . and lets not forget . . .
    [IMG]
  10. ARCHIVED-AratornCalahn Guest

That last one needs to eat more...
  11. ARCHIVED-Ciara52 Guest

12. ARCHIVED-Sakicia Guest

Given that we have an appearance tab now there is a real need for a class like Star Wars Galaxies tailor. A huge range of clothing could be made for wearing in any occasion. In SWG as a master tailor with a 4-house shopping area I had males and females spend hours shopping with me. Everyone wants to look good and to their own taste, and we have the chance to do so now with the appearance option.
  13. ARCHIVED-Ziviel Guest

I somewhat agree with the OP. the models are well..for lack of better words..getting boring. Its super rare that I see some clothing that "pops" I would like to see them do an expansion pack, or an update, that just concentrated on more "looks".
  14. ARCHIVED-Lancestorm Guest

LordFyre wrote:
    Could this be anymore hotter!!! I want these for my Illy, talk about mezzing without casting...insta-mez ftw!
  15. ARCHIVED-LordFyre Guest

Lancestorm wrote:
    Well, um, yes it could.
    I have often advocated the "chainmail bikini" approach to character attire. But, adding a few more of her costume bits back to Queen Antonia's dress (not too many mind you) would give more of the "presence" that a sorceress and queen should project.
    Besides, would Acute Mindchaser be up to wearing that?
  16. ARCHIVED-AratornCalahn Guest

Lancestorm wrote:
    Yes.

I find females with (sexy) colthes on more attractive than no/little clothing. (Not to say that pic isn't good to look at mind :p).
  17. ARCHIVED-LordFyre Guest

To each his own. In general, I happen to like the "nearly naked" approach to female characters.
    And that can be a difficult balance. Keeping the heroine "scantily clad" while providing enough to make her look distinctive is not as easy as it sounds.
  18. ARCHIVED-AratornCalahn Guest

And that is the point, we NEED a large range of CHOICE in a game like this. From almost nude to fully armoured/robed with a chastity belt on and several extra tunics to make sure there is at least 5 layers before you can see skin. lol.
  19. ARCHIVED-LordFyre Guest

This is true.
    And of course we mean "nearly naked," but within the bounds of the "ESRB Teen" rating.
    (Getting long hair to work, would be awesome too!)
  20. ARCHIVED-Lancestorm Guest

LordFyre wrote:
    /ponders....how you know my Illy's name. Dare i say Stalker???