Advanced Solo Instances no longer giving legendary/fabled rewards?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Juraviel, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

ST Contested is a total waste of a zone entirely.
    Some of the nameds have some semi decent scripts (Reused yes, but different to the norm), and are relatively challenging at times. However, the trash is annoying and the rewards are NOT worth it at all.
    Each named has a set legendary loot table (All Hierloom), as well at 4 Rare Fabled (Tradeable). Some of these arent even discovered on all servers yet so shows how often this zone is done.

The problem is that doing the Solo zones reaps better rewards per time invested than ALL the heroic zones.
    Doing Harrows End, by the time you find 6 people, do the zone, its like an hours investment. You'll get maybe 1 loot drop each (Legendary), and maybe 1 shot at a rare drop mount (HE only). All the other heroic zones have very pointless drops, especially the Fabled Rare drops (Fabled drops with no red slot....), and provide no real reason to go to these zones.

If SOE made the change of swapping the Rare Fabled drops from the Solo zones (Yellow + Red slots), with the Rare Fabled drops from the Heroic zones (Yellow slots, NO red slots), it would provide Soloers with good, but rare Fabled items (Without Red slots so they dont have to worry about red adorns), and would provide Heroic zone people with a chance at Fabled drops with Red and Yellow slots. Overall It'd be the quickest and easiest fix imo, but is not likely to happen.
  2. Draylore Well-Known Member

I primarily play the game to raid. That said, the only reason I like the solo advanced in CoE is because it is a way for me to pass the time when not raiding and provides me with adorning mats which I need alot of as I get new gear from raids. I do not have alts ....the occasional fabled drop from solo might net me a usable red adorn but more often I just mute for the chance at mana. I cannot do that in heroics because nobody would let me need for mute and honestly I would not do it anyways. They need to fix heroic loot tables so that it is of value for people that like to group.....instead of mucking with everything else and trying some backwards way of forcing people to group.

If Solos stopped dropping fabled or even legendary there would be ZERO purpose for their existence.
  3. Gilasil Active Member

I did a lot of adv solo instances over the weekend. While I got a lot of junk I did get a few nice items. The only problem was that the ones I could use wewre the SAME nice items I'd gotten last time. I didn't get a single upgrade from when I did those zones for the quest.

I'm suspecting it has a VERY small loot table for those zones. So you can get a few nice items, you can get a ton of duplicates, but you're not going to give yourself a complete gear upgrade.

By the way, I also got junk from Chelsith which is too bad. I consider that one of the more fun of the new zones. Of course, since I didn't get anything I could use in ANY of the zones if I'm going to do them I might as well do one which gives junk and is fun as opposed to one which gives something I already have and isn't so fun. Most likely I'll end up not doing any of them. Maybe if I can get my guild off their collective rear ends and do something I may do some heroics.
  4. Feldon Well-Known Member

It's a massive loot table.
    http://eq2wire.com/2012/12/06/the-chains-of-eternity-collaborative-loot-project/2/

Chelsith is fun? It's over 200 trash mobs you have to kill. The trash mobs are extremely repetitive with huge agro ranges so you are guaranteed to get all these mobs near the walls and edges of each room. Plus, you have to kill the first 5 names to unlock the door to the final named. One of the names is FOUR waves of adds and then you kill the boss. And the final named refills to full health at 75%, 50%, and 25% and is invulnerable for X number of seconds after each stage. Basically someone took all the worst time sinky aspects of dungeon design and put them all in this ONE zone. There's no way to get in and out of this zone in less than an hour and you get ONE chest for your trouble.

I can run Dreadcutter, Wurmbone's End HM, and probably another zone in the same amount of time and get 5 times the loot.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  5. SteelPiston Active Member

Ran ToF 5x yesterday and got 2 fabled drops. Sadly one was for a Mystic/Defiler and I don't have a level 95 one of those. I guess I'll just dislodge the red adornment.
  6. Gilasil Active Member

1. I am not uber geared like you. Many of those encoutners are still a challenge for me (although if they upped the difficulty just a tad I would not be upset).
    2. I'm not min/maxing. I don't count time spent vs drops achieved. I consider whether I enjoyed the fight or not.
    3. Having to kill 5 names just to unlock a door is not the point as far as I'm concerned. What counts for me is if I had fun killing those 5 names. And four waves of adds is cool.
    4. The fact that the final name regenerates and all that is just part of the fun. I've always enjoyed that fight. While it could be made a bit more difficult now that I'm 95, it's still kinda fun.

I do not equate fun with whether I maximized ROI. When I'm at work I'll worry about ROI where they pay real money instead of some virtual item. When I play I worry about enjoying myself.

I suspect this exchange illustrates as well as any why the different types of EQ2 players will never see eye to eye.

I'll probably do Chelsith until I get bored with it. Then I'll move on.
  7. Regolas Well-Known Member

Just ran WE HM on a 2 box and got a Primal Robe. Shame I have no mage.

I've probably ran the solo instances about 50-60 times since launch over 3 characters, so not a large amount by others standards.

From them I've got 6 fabled pieces, one of which an alt can use. I've probably got 30-40 legendary items and 20 or so useless things.
  8. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Agree here. I just wish the items were tradeable within the group. I box my SK and a healer (for leveling purposes). Invariably what drops is a Healer item for the SK and a STR item for the healer. It would be nice to be able to trade them for a limited time if you were in that group.
  9. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Which ones? (Name/Link?)
  10. Feldon Well-Known Member

I think most folks who group and raid regularly in EQ2 would laugh at the idea that I am "uber geared". I have some current raid gear, but mostly stuff that is at least 1 year old.
    I make it my mission to recognize, appreciate, and respect different gameplay styles. If the new Chelsith is fun for you, then that's great. I have long been an advocate of more content for solo/duo/trio players. We've come a long way from solo quests being the end-of-the-line unless you wanted to group. I think there are some wild swings in the quantity and quality of loot being awarded by the solo zones in Chains of Eternity. Solo zones should be a stepping stone and something to do beyond questing, but shouldn't replace raiding.

I guess I just see that the new Chelsith has a lot of extra mobs thrown in there that, if they were removed, wouldn't reduce my enjoyment of the zone or take anything away from it, and balance the zone a bit better compared to other zones. Kind of like a movie that could be edited down by 20 minutes and actually tell a better, tighter story. There's a fine line between min/maxing and what's "fun" and when I feel my time is being wasted.

As you said, we probably won't agree on that either. ;)
  11. Wurm Well-Known Member

You as a ranger, Feldon I can see where you are coming from in regards to the new Chelsith, as a Paladin I love seeing how many I can pull at once and still stay alive. So I probably clear the zone a bit faster than you. I do agree that it deserves at least two chest due to the large amount of trash you have to wade through though.
  12. Atan Well-Known Member

I've read this thread and wondered why people don't just leash the trash?
  13. Feldon Well-Known Member

I haven't tested leash range on the trash in Chelsith. I have in other zones. ;)
  14. Draylore Well-Known Member

Yeah leashing is the way to go in these solo zones. WE is the best example since its not required to have killed all the named for the final to pop...he is up soon as you zone in.

Dreadcutter is just funny......just go from boss to boss bringing whatever happens to follow with me. :)

I only ran Chelsith solo once for the quest but considering how spread out the zone is i'm sure alot of trash can be leashed/skipped.
  15. Wurm Well-Known Member

Well when you have a broken green adorn that levels only from XP, every mob you kill helps. And I like killing stuff.

I leash mobs all the time in ST and TotF, Chelsith and Dreadcutter I prefer to nuke them.
  16. Ogdinmar Active Member

i think we should be lucky we are still recieving fabled loot from a SOLO instance that is the exact same as the raid trash drops. i mean come on i dont want to sound mean but stop crying cuz its not what you wanted. if you got everything you wanted every time you went into an instance you wouldnt have a reason to go back. then you would be sitting in your guild hall or home city crying in the forums about how there is nothing to do. ooh heres a good option lets have SoE easy mode it some more and put a loot drop down at zone in so you can select what you want to be in the chest when you kill the last namer. come on guys the loot in the solos is way better than it was in SS so stop be grateful they are giving you RAID gear from a SOLO instance.
    Arieste and Estred like this.
  17. Ramone_AB Active Member

So I have been reading the... Raider vs. Grouper vs. Soloer complaining and it's sickening honestly. I agree that the percentage could be boosted for those in groups running the zones could be boosted be it stat boost or rate of drop boost.

I look at the loot gained like this:

Soloer: YAY!!! I finally get a nice upgrade and that means I don't squish when soloing, and I can actually consider looking at grouping and not be mocked for being poorly geared etc.

Grouper: Nice an upgrade from SS gear and another step closer to being able to applying to raid guild.

Raid: We have a new person in the guild but they have semi decent gear so it means we don't have to push all the gear to them for survival.

It also gives those who are adorners gear to mute etc, for there own needs and those who come to them.

The dev's are danged if they do, danged if they don't.

/shrug
  18. gargamelscat Active Member

My view is, that if they worked so hard on developing this stuff, and nobody wants to play it anymore bc they keep nerfing it into oblivion, then they wasted their time, and are making themselves obsolete. If it's not fun, people won't play it.

The rollercoaster ride of changes in EQ2 is simply dizzying. I'm starting to think Sony has no actual vision for this game other than short term gains.
  19. Regolas Well-Known Member

Leashing is great as a tank or even a healer. Can be a bit more painful as a scout or mage. Especially when some mobs snare you.
  20. Juraviel Active Member

I could not agree more. I've gone back to ftp on my 2nd and 3rd account but my main account is paid up through December 2013. I've been spending more time over in Vanguard than I have in EQ2 these days and today's fiasco with the depot access is another annoyance to deal with here. So frustrating.

Seems to be the same old thing over and over and I'm getting so sick of it. I'll still log in and play on my main until my time runs out next year... just not as much as I used to. This game is getting so frustrating it is just a chore to log in some days now.