A new mystery appears in Nektropos Castle...

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Cusashorn, May 4, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

"As for the wicked idol, it provides clues to understanding a bit about a curse that befell the master of the estate. But it is just one of the many. This castle is filled with curses."

I did notice after returning to Nektropos (with more language quests completed), dialogue I had missed the first time.
    Specifically, when Jenni calls for her teacher, she remarks that "Diedre has sent someone to stop me."
    And Izzy's comment of "So, Diedre Everling, we meet at last, Your sister payed a high price to summon me..."
    I didn't quite get the comments Diedre made though.
    I also made note of the fact that there were no guardians (or the shade's of guardians) around, only 'handmaidens'.
    /just brainstorming.
  2. ARCHIVED-Mystfit Guest

You may see other statues in Norrath that look the same, (a shortage of appearances,) but I can assure you... they don't hide the secrets this one does. Don't look for that secret on your own. Someday... it just may call to you.
    snicker..this statement reminded me of the day I went into my room and saw a flash/sparkle coming from my Froglock tailsman on my wall. THe Froglocks are calling..they must need me!!. I rush to Ferrott and zone into the Froglock village and sure enough!! THe Leader has a quest for me to go to CT and kill an epic dragon..gulp...ok..but it may be awhile...not much of a raider, I tell him....
    Later that day I read the update notes to discover that the sparkle had been put back into the tailsman and it was sheer conincidence that I saw it and went back and got the quest....
  3. ARCHIVED-Terq Guest

OK, I know that I am missing something insanely obvious here, but I can't find Deidre's (the ribcage shovel) rag doll. Figured bone lake, lair of the necromancer (or thereabout), the funeral pyre, all to no avail.
    Any suggestions?
  4. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

What body of water in Nektulos might have a, (very), large ribcage located nearby?
  5. ARCHIVED-Itazzy Guest

I have to say, I find this all a very neat idea. I never played EQ1 myself, but I decided I'd play EQ2 after a friend told me about a ton of the lore and its development in the original game. Ever since launch I've been running around reading all the text I come across, completing book quests and just trying to get a good idea of what's going on. This quest just made doing that sort of thing even more rewarding. Thanks Vhalen and Cusashorn, this is great!
  6. ARCHIVED-Terq Guest

ok, I found it. Duh. That was the first place that I tought of. Must have missed it on the first pass.
  7. ARCHIVED-Dejah Guest

I really enjoyed doing this quest. :smileyhappy:
    After I finished I went and said hello to Mor'Teal in Maj'Dul, as others have reported he didn't say anything. Since I was in the area I decided to stop by the peacock club. The place had changed since I last went. The leader (I forget his name) was no longer there, but Flippy was there oddly enough. Anyways, I saw the Halfling with the Moppets and he said he rescued them from a chest in the tower of the Drafling. I know Vhalen said not to look for it, and that someday it might call to us, but I'm still really tempted to go back to the tower of the Drafling and see what I can discover.
  8. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

The League of Free Thinkers has no "Leader".. at least not for the Peacock Club. Just go enter and exit a few times and you'll see either him, Fippy, or some dwarf.
  9. ARCHIVED-Deeply Guest

I always love to read the lore regarding EQ in its many guises.
    This is the kind of quest I play EQ2 for , its got a depth to it which most dont , there just usually hack and slash /cheer you have gained a big shiny item.
    Please hurry up with the next part !! Vhalean ,, im on the edge of my seat waiting .
  10. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

I think you see the guardians in Nek Castle the Return if I recall correctly, never really understood the plot of the place but maybe if I go back now it'd make more sense.
  11. ARCHIVED-Gethani Guest

Nektropos Castle has always been one of my favorite zones. I really enjoyed going back in and working on this quest. Thank you for your creativity and your time!! I can not wait to see more quests like this!

Gethani
    Deviance
    Unrest
  12. ARCHIVED-Lonissa Guest

I just noticed this on the Test server notes:

*** Quests ***

- The final stage of the quest, "Portrait of Destiny," is now timed.
  13. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Hmm. I suspect it'll be something of like half an hour. that's long enough to find all 5 dolls.
  14. ARCHIVED-Tainya Guest

I loved this quest, it was very fun. I have one word of caution though. I did this quest with a group. When we came to placing the dolls at the end of the quest, everyone jumped in at the same time. The dolls got mixed up and in the end, one of our group memebers did not get their idol. We are going to try deleting the quest and see if she can repeat it.... we really hope that she can. She was very disappointed that she did not get her idol. So if your in a group please make sure that only one person goes at a time.

Ashlya
    Oasis Server
  15. ARCHIVED-Vhalen Guest

The last part of the quest was given a timer to prevent people from missing out on their idol. If you don't pick it up, you can place the dolls again. But wait.... this is not the Quest Forum, this is the Lore Forum.
    Here's a bit of lore. Rikantus Everling scoured Norrath for decades, searching for all things extraordinary and occult. Although his family has always been involved in oddities and curios, the relics never more towards the darker arts than when Rikantus took over the family business. Some say that his dealing with social circles others would call foe planted the seed of evil, indirectly, of course. Rikantus has been cursed, a curse far different than the one that befell his greatest child... Nektropos Castle.
  16. ARCHIVED-Wolfguard6 Guest

Thanks for this quest makes me really want to dig in on lore now not just read it. I be waiting for that day for it to call. :) outstanding job.
  17. ARCHIVED-Nocturnal Abyss Guest

Something interesting to think about:
    Not only are their rampant use of magically sentient dolls running about in BOTH Nektropos and Rivervale/Enchanted Lands, but Fiddy Bobbick, a now known member of the Free Thinkers is one of the, what I am tempted to assume to be, hosts that are listed as one to be protected at all costs by the Shodowed Men in the Obelisk! It would seem that these Extra-demensional beings have very successfully gotten their fingers into everything on Norrath! And what is their strange fascination with dolls!?!
  18. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

I think dolls are just an easy vehicle for possession. It's probably much easier to control something non-living or just barely living than it is to slip inside the mind of a sentient creature.

Also, I guess they make a handy container for souls as well, not much they can do except follow your orders if they're stuck inside a little doll.
  19. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Actually they go and explain in strong detail that the moppets in Nektulos have absolutly nothing to do with the moppets running around Rivervale.

The moppets running around Rivervale were created by the halflings themselves. they have nothing to do with the shadowmen, nightblood, or lamias.
    Message Edited by Cusashorn on 05-21-2006 08:22 PM
  20. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

I know about the ones in Nektropos from that book, just curious where you get the lore on the moppets in Rivervale.