A new mystery appears in Nektropos Castle...

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Cusashorn, May 4, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

The Adventurer recieved a letter one day. A day just like any other. It was not raining, it was not cold. Ro's light managed to peak through the treetops of the forest in some areas. Just a normal day in Nektulos forest.

It was no ordinary letter. The wax seal had the Everling Family Seal stamped into it. The paper had a gold outline around the edge. Official stationary of Lord Everling and the Everling family.

"Greetings, brave adventurer.

I have heard stories of your great accomplishments and travels across the world, and I must say I am intrigued. This is a letter of invitation to join me at my castle. I wish to learn more about your adventures and journeys over a banquet in your honor. Present this letter to our doorman. I've told him to expect your arrival.

-Lord Everling"

---

The adventurer proceeded his way towards Nektropos Castle, deep in the woods. Even though the trees of Nektulos often prevented the sunlight from ever touching the forest floor, the adventurer could tell that nighttime would soon arrive.

When he reached the castle gates, he presented the letter to the doorman, who graciously opened the doors and allowed the adventurer inside. "Please follow me, sir. The Master cannot be here to greet you personally, but has instructed me to show you to his personal servant's quarters untill he is ready to meet you."

The adventurer followed the servant to Pellas' personal quarters. "Ahh, You must be the guest our Lord has been expecting. I am Pellas, Lord Everling's personal servant. I know it's not much, but please, make yourself at home. I shall go tell the master that you have arrived." And just as he finished his sentence, Pellas was on his way.

The adventurer decided to sit on the edge of the bed and wait. Before long, a personal servant entered the room and placed a painting on the chest next to the bed.

"A gift from the resident Brushwuttle."

She left just as quickly as she came.

The adventurer looked at the painting. It appeared to be a family portrait. He noticed six daughters in the picture, one of which was holding a simple stuffed doll. The central patriarchal figure held a wicked looking idol.

Before the adventurer could get a closer look, the painting disappeared! He rubbed his eyes in disbelief. He swore he was just looking at a painting, but now its gone.

Pellas returned. "I appologize for the wait, sir. Please, follow me. The master wishes to see you now."

---

The banquet hall was busy with activity. Servants were busy setting the final meals on the table, and filling the glasses with wine.

The adventurer expected a private dinner with the lord. He was not expecting this, but was not surprised either. Pellas showed him to his seat at the end of the table. On either side of him were other guests of the castle. Aristocrats, landlords, diplomats... guests one would expect to see at a banquet in a castle.

As the guests took thier seats, Lord Everling entered the room from the balcony to the east. Before he took his seat at the other end of the table, he raised his glass. "Welcome, esteemed guests, sirs and ladies, one and all, to this very special banquet this evening. Let us raise our glasses and toast to our guest of honor at the end of the table.

The adventurer also did not expect this much attention. He was surprised to see everyone drink in his honor as the room filled with applause. As the room quieted down, Everling continued.

"Eat well, my friend. Please feel free to entertain us with stories of your travels. After we're done, I'll show you around the castle.

... I'm sure you'll just love to meet my daughters..."

Something didn't sit right with the adventurer. Somewhere in his mind, something was telling him nothing was as it seemed... All he could hope was that he would make it through the night with his life intact.
  2. ARCHIVED-vikingthug Guest

Sounds a lot like the old Dracula lore wheather it be his three brides or his three sisters. Creepy, yet alluring.. On a side note, if his daughters are hot, Im sure not too many adventurers wouldnt mind spending some "quality" time with them.
  3. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Hmm. I'm wondering if anyone's actually caught on yet?
  4. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

I looked up 'resident' Brushwuttle at the Library in Qeynos:
    C. M. Brushwuttle, a famous Gnomish artist, renown for designing the sculpture 'The Cavalier', as well as many other famous paintings; 'Leviathan Unbound', 'Remains of Honor', 'Nagafen, Lord of Flame', 'Servant of the Storm', and 'Traitor's Insult', to mention but a few.
    Other known paintings include, 'Sylvan Triptych', 'Gnoma Obscura', 'Siege of Gukta', 'Her Royal Highness, Queen Higgbee', 'Rivervale Remembered', 'Daughter of the Void', 'Gnomish Dreams', 'Velious Mourns', 'Exodus of the Knights of Marr', and 'Children of Thunder'.
    A decendant, Fryda Brushwuttle, operates a studio in North Freeport.
    I could find no listing for 'An Everling Family Portrait', perhaps it was commissioned privately.
    Message Edited by Mary the Prophetess on 05-09-2006 10:23 PM
  5. ARCHIVED-Vhalen Guest

C.M. Brushwuttle also created all those "creatures playing poker" paintings found throughout Norrath's taverns in EQLive. But let's not get off topic, we were talking about the 'resident' Brushwuttle.
  6. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

Hmmm. So the resident Brushwuttle is not the Shade of the renowned artist.
    Now, I wonder what other Brushwuttle's there are wandering around?
    *heads off to the library again*
  7. ARCHIVED-Kikenata Guest

Doesn't Brushwittle hang out in North Freeport? Or is that yet another Brushwittle entirely?
  8. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

This is a BrushWUTTLE, though.
  9. ARCHIVED-Trepan Guest

Yeah but at 3'6" tops I'd say he/she is still pretty wittle.

Apart from the Brushwuttles in Freeport, have we any other hooks for members of their family? (apart from the obscure reference of the "resident" brushwuttle in Nektropos).

Vhalen's post is pretty clear on the resident being different than CM...

Cusa, where'd you get that bit in your original post?
  10. ARCHIVED-syous01 Guest

By resident he is referring to something that is haunting the place. Ghosts don't really haunt a house, the correct term is reside.
  11. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Oh... I'll tell you when someone starts to figure it out. I can tell you this much right now: I'm the only player in the whole game who knows whats going... :smileywink:
  12. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

/sighs
    You're gonna force me to go there and look around aren't you?
    Ok, I haven't been to version two yet, and I'm guessing that's the place to start snooping. I'm just not too sure I'm really ready for it at 54th level though.
    But what the hey, I'm a Ranger; and dying, (er, I mean scouting), is what Rangers do best!

Some thoughts:
    The term 'resident' Brushwuttle, may refer not to a specific person named Brushwuttle, but might be describing any aspiring artist, a 'would-be' Rembrandt, (or in this case, Brushwuttle).
    Did any of the Everlings paint?
    Is Pellas a mis-spelling of Pelleas, or is it correct, and there are perhaps two different personnas here?
    The events discribed most likely take place in the past. Pelleas is not a ghost, (or at least the adventurer does not react to him as such). The other guests and personal servants all elicit no special notice on the part of the adventurer.
    There are no Gargoyles mentioned, nor woods full of patchwork men and undead. The castle seems to be in good repair and staffed normally.
    It seems as if everyone (except the adventurer) is privy to some shared knowledge about the adventurer, including the servants and the other guests.
    The daughters are, (conspicuously), absent from the banquet.
    There is too much deference being paid to the adventurer by everyone. It is out of proportion. Something isn't right.
    The adventurers' reaction to the disappearing painting seems too subdued, almost as if it were not out of the ordinary.
    Particular note is made of the doll one of the girls in the portrait holds and to the, (notice the pejorative word, 'wicked'), idol in the hands of the patriarch in the painting.
    The adventurer feels a vague sense of foreboding, but why would that make him leap to the conclusion that his life may be in danger?
    The starting place would be Pelleas' quarters, and that is where I will head first.

Message Edited by Mary the Prophetess on 05-13-2006 09:31 PM
  13. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

I went into The Return once. Most of the doors are physically blocked off beyond the courtyard at the zone in. you won't find anything there. I'd rather you find that lesson out yourself, but I'm saving you a few deaths.
  14. ARCHIVED-Lonissa Guest

OH! So I went and sat in Pelleas' room and along came a personal attendant
    screenshot I followed her to a secret passage, where she just seems to disappear (under Diedre's room) Edit: I sat around and waited in the banquet room too, but nothing happened. Oh well, it's 3am here, time for bed, I'll wait for others to figure it out :)

Message Edited by Emaleth2000 on 05-12-2006 03:07 PM
  15. ARCHIVED-Jacklambe Guest

Lies! The monk was assisted in part by a rather handsome conjuror ;)
  16. ARCHIVED-Lonissa Guest

Edit: In the interest of not spoiling the fun for everyone I removed this little spoiler.
    Message Edited by Emaleth2000 on 05-12-2006 12:30 PM
  17. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

Well, I went there this morning; killed a couple of the sisters, took a quick glance in the dining room, (nothing I could find there), and was just on my way to Pelleas' room when the server came down for maintenance.
    When I came back on, I was in Nektulos; locked out for 17 hours.
    I HATE those lock out timers, (though I do understand why they are there)
  18. ARCHIVED-Tarkin-Wretched Guest

You do? Explain it to me then please. The loot in there sucks. Ive never killed the epic in there though so I dont know about his loot. Nektropos and tombs of night have the worst loot Ive ever encountered and they are both instanced. Id prefer them to not be instanced.
  19. ARCHIVED-Trepan Guest

Lore > Loot on the Lore Board. ;-)
  20. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

And with that, you've just discovered the purpose of this new mystery.