Why do you call them namers?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lisandra, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Koryu Professional Roadkill

To me, this thread is proof that we will get truly irritated by the smallest and least important things, then feel the need to complain about them on the forums. Whether you feel it more appropriate to call it a named, namer, boss, elite, or anything else, it doesn't matter because the core concept is getting across (special, rare, loot-dropping creature that is tougher than standard creatures) and you're just being picky. I don't care, just kill it.
    Metanis and Qest T. Silverclaw like this.
  2. Dalavar New Member

People with annoyingly large signatures on message boards. =)
    Mintalie, Metanis, drkoli and 5 others like this.
  3. Jaerlyn Augur

People that think the proper name of the symbol # is Octothorpe make me cringe. It's not.
  4. Serriah_Test Augur

What about "boxer" and "boxing" and my "box"?
    We all use it... and it's a dumb term too :\
  5. Fendy Augur

I didn't think it was called that. Dictionary.com does.

But what is its official name? The octothorpe. What does that mean? It’s actually a made-up word. It was invented in the same laboratories where the telephone came from. The scientists at Bell Laboratories modified the telephone keypad in the early 1960s and added the # symbol to send instructions to the telephone operating system. Since the # symbol didn’t have a name, the technicians made one up. They knew it should be called “octo-” something because it has eight ends around the edge. But how to make “octo” into a noun? What happened next is not entirely clear. According to one report, Bell Lab employee Don MacPherson named it after the Olympian Jim Thorpe. Another former employee claims it was a nonsense word that is a joke. Another unverifiable report is much more etymologically satisfying. The Old Norse word “thorpe” meant “farm or field”, so octothorpe literally means “eight fields.”
    Wdor likes this.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I just call it the pound sign, lol.

Never heard anyone call it a namer, only named or rares.

I get really annoyed by whisper and the similar imported slang. I mean if you're going to play the game be willing to learn the jargon. I think it just makes them sound less competent when they use the wrong term. Whisper and namer are at least close enough that one can deduce what they are meant to be. The really bad ones are when you get a person only using terms from another game, which results in no one having a clue what they are trying to say.

As far as Boss goes, I've only really heard it for raid targets and the LDoN bosses.
    Lisandra likes this.
  7. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

"chase" items

That was a new one, for me, when returning to EQ. It just sounds so.....wrong.

BiS (Best in Slot) took a while to get used to, but at least it is more accurate.
    Wdor likes this.
  8. YellowBelly Augur

Base pop . It is said frequently on the beta forums by the developers now every poster trying to sound smart uses it.
  9. Malachi Augur

I remember when I was like wtf is lol and roflmao and wtf?? AOL 3.0 changed language foreva!
  10. Jaerlyn Augur

/cringe. That info is from a blog. It's anything but official.
  11. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

12. Elskidor Augur

I was left scratching my head for awhile, after hearing roflmao for the first time.
    Malachi likes this.
  13. Cerris Augur

Most imported WoW jargon bugs the heck out of me, but I have special hate for "cooldowns" being used as a noun, and people who use "cleave" for a frontal AE are just confusing.

Nothing's as bad as "toon" though.
  14. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Cooldown is a noun.....
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cooldown
  15. Marshall Maathers Augur

I cringe when I hear "threat" for aggro.
    Lighteningrod likes this.
  16. drkoli Augur

about the only one that bothers me is when people say whisper them. in EQ its called sending a tell or PST (please send tell)
    Wdor and Lisandra like this.
  17. Laurana Augur

Back in the day on the Torvo server, a person that played more than one character was described as DC-ing; "dual-comping" from the legacy restrictions faced then from having to have one computer for each instance of EQ one wished run.

I still tend to dislike the term "boxing" as it has a negative connotation to me. I started "dc-ing" when I started playing 15 years ago from the very first month. I've never played one character, always two mains. I just stick with the term "toon" now to make things short and sweet even though it too is a bit strange to me.
  18. sojuu Augur

If someoone said they were DCing i would take that as disconnecting.
    On another note one that may be a reference to something i dunno but people who call agro, argo i still dont understand that. Was it a typo and they ran with it?
    Lisandra likes this.
  19. Marshall Maathers Augur

Almost sure that has to be the case
    Lisandra likes this.
  20. Schadenfreude Augur

So much hate for this. Ugh. Almost approaching the level of hatred I have for Ranja or any of the filthy variants. Almost.

I'd never heard namer until after the second round of server merges, it was always named or sometimes the named. PST seemed to become a thing almost overnight. As opposed to what? Vulcan mind meld?
    Wdor likes this.