Why do you call them namers?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lisandra, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Mintalie Augur

Piling on with the "namer" hate. They are a named. Not a namer.
    Lisandra likes this.
  2. Vanrau Augur

I don't know anyone who calls rare npc's, namers.

I believe named was used quite a bit because most trash mobs in zones had names like "a lion" "a tiger" "a bear". And you've probably already said "oh my" *disappointed head shake*. But then you see killable NPC's with the name "The Scarecrow" and think wow capital letters in the name makes that NPC stand out from the rest, they must be privileged and wealthy and drive a exotic car. Therefore given a name. The named.

/Scroll History Channel credits
    Sirene_Fippy and Lisandra like this.
  3. Bangzoom Lorekeeper

Y'know, reading all this, I was wondering why I've been saying "boss" in certain HAs, as in, "spawning boss." In TDS and everywhere else, I still say "camping named" or similar. Maybe it's an old habit from LDoN I forgot about.
    drkoli likes this.
  4. sojuu Augur

I gotta ask what is poop socking? Iv heard namer b4 and always just passed it off as I havnt heard it often and always myself refered to it as a named but never heard of poop socking.
  5. SaderakhBertox Augur

Imagine one or more raid forces waiting for a highly contested mob to spawn. If some people were to leave their keyboards at an inopportune time, the 36 hours they waited could have been for nothing.
    Lisandra likes this.
  6. Eaiana Augur

If you read the developer posts, they refer to these loot dropping monsters as "rares". Makes me think of steaks...
    Lisandra likes this.
  7. Numiko Augur

people saying "Woot" still bothers me!

As for "namer" I cant say i have ever heard anyone using that term.
    Lisandra likes this.
  8. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

The term namer may come from a non-American English speaker. Also, in the game Horseshoes, a ringer is a very good thing.

A chanter is one who chants, a.k.a. a Shaman.

I use "tha deeps" because it makes more sense than using DPS in place of DoT, or "damage" or "one who does a lot of damage," etc.

"Woot" is something I heard 15 years ago in EQ, and it was so perfect as a statement of jubilation, resembling the sound of a tooting horn, in reference to loot, that I immediately started using it myself. I still use it outside EQ among other gamers.
    Wdor, Lisandra and drkoli like this.
  9. Shang Augur

Do people on Bertox still use the term "hydra" on the reg?
    Lisandra likes this.
  10. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

They're more commonly "boxers," short for "multi-boxer," in reference to the days when computers were housed in beige boxes, and you needed one for each toon. Hydra does make sense, and is rarely used, though more commonly when written.

Another alt being played by the same player is almost always referred to as a "box."
    Lisandra likes this.
  11. SaderakhBertox Augur

I still occasionaly bust out the "wuwu~" in place of a woot. "Woot" I really save for truly epic moments though. Kappa

If everyone tacked on the "~" at the end of everything, the world would be a better place.

I occasionally still see the "kk" or "kk~" or "kkthnx" or "kkthnx la~". Recently I've also seen the "#kkthnxplsdrivethru" or any variation of popular terminology with the "#" thrown in thanks to the popularity of twitter.

Hydra is something I've never heard of before. As for Bertox, I haven't been in the General channel since early 2013, so I have no idea.
    Sirene_Fippy, Lisandra and Iila like this.
  12. drkoli Augur

i havent ever heard of boxers called hydra before. i kindof like it tho! ive heard of box crew or the one i use is box army
    Lisandra likes this.
  13. Fendy Augur

I wonder why the cheerleaders don't chant "We're hash tag one!" when they hold up the posters that say "We're #1!". (The proper name for # is octothorpe but NOBODY is going to chant that)
    Wdor, Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Lisandra like this.
  14. Serriah_Test Augur

You're a #1 (sharp one)

bwaha... :p
    Wdor and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  15. Jasazick Journeyman

"toon" and "namer" both make me cringe.
  16. Lisandra Augur

I've used box crew & box army & DPS a lot. I've used woot & wuwu off & on over the years. Never heard or seen anyone write hydra in that context. Interesting to see how many others find the term "namer" to be mildly annoying & somewhat stupid. Any other cool or annoying terms you've seen used that are uncommon?
  17. Feradach Augur

"Namer" really irritates me, and for some reason so does people referring to /tells as "whispers." I realize that's the proper term for other games, but this is EQ. We don't whisper.
  18. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I admit "toon" made me cringe when I first encountered it. Now I use it because it's short, and I almost never get to roleplay any more anyway.
    Lisandra likes this.
  19. Aldryn Another New Member

Pakit <3 </3

Namer. Get good.
  20. Shang Augur

Out of curiosity, I looked up the loot rules I helped rewrite on my old guild's forum.

I used the word "Hydra" 18 times in the post.

Here was the definition we used: