Why do you call them namers?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lisandra, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Lisandra Augur

Just curious why some people call named mobs namers? This may come across as OCD & grammer but it doesn't make sense grammatically at all. They don't go around naming things they just have a name so they are "named" & that makes more sense from that standpoint. I guess it's just a minor pet peeve that triggers my mild OCD.
    Wdor and Elskidor like this.
  2. Hatsee Augur

Who knows, but it annoys me less than players from WoW say deep'us. Makes you want to slap them in the facers.
    Wdor, Rouan, A-Quad and 2 others like this.
  3. Lisandra Augur

Yeah that one is stupid too. Anyone else annoyed by these or any other goofy term that caught on for whatever reason?
  4. Stickietoes Augur

annoy's me moar wh3n peep's spell so stoopid
    Wdor, Lisandra and Elricvonclief like this.
  5. Lifeshriek Augur

Not that I particularly agree with using this sort of slang, I do end up using it quite a bit because I find it funny at times.
    However, it would be naive to suppose that slang wouldn't show up in an online gaming world as Earth uses cultural diffusion constantly, due to the internet.
    In a way, it could be viewed as a degradation of society as a whole, or simply microcosm evolution.
    Rouan and Bahdah like this.
  6. Elskidor Augur

There are actually a lot of gamer phrases that annoy me.
    Lisandra likes this.
  7. Edrick Augur

Toons. Toons. Toons. Toons. Toons. Toons. Toons. Toons. Toons. Toons.
    Cerris, Lisandra, Iila and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ravengloome Augur

I just kill them and take their stuff. Lets not over analyze things here.
    Rouan and drkoli like this.
  9. Bahdah Augur

"Real talk" ^ ------------ o.0 that deeps tho.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

It's faster then saying "mobs with proper names"?
  11. Fenudir Augur

I don't think that I've ever heard anyone use the term "namers". Just about everyone I know used the term "named".
  12. Lighteningrod Augur

Maybe Quellious is different. Not once since 2003 have I heard anyone say, "namers." The only phrase I've heard from native EQ players is, "Named."

Everytime I hear boss, elite, or king, I immediately conclude the player is a young child or a visitor from WoW.
    Wdor, Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Lisandra like this.
  13. Edrick Augur

I've literally never heard a named mob called an elite or a king unless they have elite or king in their name. Boss was common in Ldons though.
  14. Marike Elder

I despise "cheeve" or "cheever" for achievements.
    Wdor, Rouan and Lisandra like this.
  15. Aghinem Augur

I've used the terms namer & named before - so sue me; that is why its called "jargon" - its not meant to be grammatically correct. It is meant to identify a mob that could very well kick your butt. On a game that is 15 years old, any person who criticizes what another person says to define a particular mob is really scrapping the bottom of the barrel to find some kind of fault.
  16. Melanippe Augur

Why? Sheer laziness.
    Lisandra likes this.
  17. Elskidor Augur

The term I really can't stand is poop socking. The mental image that follows just drives me crazy.
    Lisandra and Elricvonclief like this.
  18. Silv Augur

I've never heard the term "namers" used (or at least can't remember it being prevalent) when the even shorter, and more accurately written, "named" is a term that's been around.

I am guilty of using "toons" periodically but that's probably my worst EQ sin :p

What I find most interesting is how many servers evolved their own socially acceptable terms. Server mergers were always amusing since you smoosh two different societies together.
    Lisandra likes this.
  19. Elskidor Augur

Toons is one of those words I fought hard not to say for years and years, but eventually I lost that battle. It's still a really lame term to use to describe your characters.
    Lisandra and Silv like this.
  20. Edrick Augur

It really happened is the scary thing :(.
    Lisandra likes this.