Why do you call them namers?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lisandra, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Qbert Gallifreyan

The one that always bugs me is, when referencing the random number generator, people say "range."
    Wdor and Lisandra like this.
  2. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

I usually call them "my pixels" or "my character" rather than toon. Most of the time. I've heard "namer" used on Quell/Povar a few times, and yes, it drives me nuts. It's a named, not a namer.

The use of the word "drood" or "dr00d" drives me nuts as well. Dr00ds and droods are not the same as druids. They're more like the nature-priest version of a valley girl, and get about as much respect.

I have been known to refer to a fight as a "boss fight" though. Usually when it involves a named (or raid mob) that spawns adds, e.g. Kill the adds, then get back on the boss.

Figuring out what camp is what is always fun during a server merge. Each server has it's own slang, plus it's own camp names. Trying to mesh the two together is..... interesting.
    Wdor and Lisandra like this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Never heard that usually hear rng
  4. Iila Augur

Elite is a legit EQ naming convention.
  5. segap Augur

Words that drive me nuts: 'namer', 'toon' and 'chanter'. It's 'named', 'char'/'character' and 'enc'/'enchanter'
    Lisandra likes this.
  6. Lisandra Augur

I'm not blasting anyone out per se, I just think the term "namer" sounds so silly that it borders on ignorance. I don't ever call anyone out over it but it just irritates me as a pet peeve. Toon i think came from WoW & poop socking probably came from those 36 hour raids back in 1999-2000. I've met a lot of people from lots of servers especially while playing on Test & FV due to people transferring & /testcopying & I guess that's why I have heard both "named" & "namer" among other terms.
    Mintalie likes this.
  7. Fllint Elder

I usually say named, but when I found out that it drives Qulas crazy when you call them namers, my use of the word namers in ventrilo (when he is on) has increased dramatically :p
    Kuvani, Aldren, drkoli and 3 others like this.
  8. Lighteningrod Augur

OK, granted. I think this has to due with so many of the mapfiend LDoN maps having "Boss" on them. This made me lol. Everytime I do an LDoN and see that label, I want to scream, "It's a Named, not a Boss!"

Then I promptly edit the label so I don't have to see it again.
  9. Synisca Augur

I started saying namer because we had a tank in our usual group that would excitedly yell "NAMER!" when a named popped. He always tried to be silly and hyper and he was a ton of fun. He's retired now, and we miss him a lot. There are a few of us that say it as a tribute of sorts to Pakit. <3 The fact that it drives Qulas crazy is just a bonus, lol.

One of the funniest "terms" I've heard is someone screaming "LOCAL! LOCAL!" in vent when a mob repopped back in camp. We were all like...wtf is he talking about? I won't name names, of course. :D
    Aldren and Lisandra like this.
  10. Edrick Augur

Fllint finally admits publicly that he is a hater.
    Iila likes this.
  11. Fendy Augur

Pet peeve, 'rouge lfg'. Makes me think someone wants an Avon party.
    Wdor, Mykaylla and Lisandra like this.
  12. Fendy Augur

[IMG]

Boss mob
    Lisandra likes this.
  13. Burdi Augur

That is sounding like a neologism . :)
    Some more mmo slang.
  14. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I always felt "namer" or "namers" was "adopted" simply as a typo, from quickly trying to type "named". (Due to the location of e,r, and d, on qwerty layout)
    Boss, being the lore-based toughest mob in a dungeon
    Lisandra and Qest T. Silverclaw like this.
  15. Gialana Augur

On Erollisi Marr, I never came across the term "namer," (and it pains me to type it, even in quotes) until the merge with Morrel-Thule. I was grouping with a friend who came from Morrel-Thule. I thought it was just a typo, but she kept saying it.
    That's really the only term I can think of that gets to me in EQ. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but I still cringe a little when I see it on the forums or in game. My problem with it is that it sounds like baby-talk.
    Anyway, that's my take.
    Lisandra likes this.
  16. Maeryn Augur

dps = damage per second, it's the dumbest commonly used term in the game.

Just say group looking for d. You might like what you get one way or another.
    Silv and Qest T. Silverclaw like this.
  17. drkoli Augur

%T is quicker than typing namer?
  18. SaderakhBertox Augur

Lately, I've started to say "melee dps lfg" instead of monk. It humors me, and that is what is important. ;)
    Lisandra likes this.
  19. Gumlakx Augur

Only lamers call them namers.
    Lisandra and Mintalie like this.
  20. Shang Augur

If you say 'namer', I generally assume you're wearing group gear.
    Wdor, Silv, Lisandra and 1 other person like this.