TSS Headshot Proc Rate

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Varu, May 3, 2018.

1. Varu Journeyman

The proc rate on headshot after "upgrading" past rank 4 is drastically reduced. I noticed this right away when testing out new headshot spots for TSS. I went back to my normal spot for lvl 70 with headshot rank 4 to make sure what I was seeing was correct.

The mission I headshot in usually takes me 20 mins on a good run or 25 mins on a bad run to clear. At lvl 71 with headshot rank 7 it took me 1 hour 27 mins.

Out of 85 mobs, headshot only landed on 62 of them. This is using a Bow of the Destroyer so the mobs that didn't die to headshot took many, many arrows. The mobs there have about 30k hp each.

As it is right now, headshot is only a bit faster than doing normal melee killing. After buying the new ranks, headshot becomes nearly useless. You will kill way faster in group content by doing melee damage. The only use I can think of for these new ranks would be headshotting lvl 65-70 raid bosses. Nothing else will have enough hp to make it worth it.

So if you're a Ranger on Phinigel then I'd recommend not buying the new headshot ranks in TSS. You're far better off with rank 4 unless there are specific raid bosses lvl 65-70 you plan on headshotting.
  2. Ryak Augur

In before they reduce the proc rate for ranks 1-4 to fix this.
  3. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

We have a turd in the punch bowl. Repeat, turd in the punch bowl.
  4. MaxTheLion Augur

Happens every time. People come here to complain about an upgrade being weaker and it turns out the old stuff was "intended" to be less than it currently is. Nerf inc!
  5. Varu Journeyman

Yeah I thought about that but both options are pretty bad at level 75.

A level 70 headshot that never procs or a level 64 headshot that works.

I don't think either will get any use unless the level 70 headshot gets a buff.
  6. -wycca Augur

Someone also want to talk about how ridiculous it is Rangers get headshot so long before Rogue assassinate? Those AA revamps were quite silly in decision making.
  7. Lankie Augur

I'm confused, why are you using such a garbage bow? 10/17 is terrible. Headshot is 2 ppm regardless of attack speed.
  8. Varu Journeyman

Headshot isn't a set 2 procs per min. I'm not sure where you got that.

Attack speed and dex both make it proc more often. There's a big difference using a BotD while shaman buffed vs using a 24+ delay bow with no buffs.

More attack speed means more hits which means more chances to proc headshot.
    Dex makes each hit more likely to proc a headshot.
  9. Meredyth Augur

Headshot was nerfed many years ago because it was being used by rangers to sell PL sessions on live servers. Prior to the nerf it had an extremely high proc rate and would go off perhaps every other shot with a low delay bow like Bow of the Destroyer, but it only worked on level 46 mobs and below. The level cap would increase with each rank but the mobs you could headshot were much lower level than the ranger.

After the nerf, many rangers quit so the devs changed headshot again as a compromise solution and made it more powerful than it had been before by raising the level restriction to anything 1 level or more lower than the ranger’s level and by increasing the damage substantially, but they left the proc rate nerf in place, which is supposed to be something like 3 times a minute. Someone with more time than me can probably find the patch notes. So it was no longer a machine gun and was now more like a rocket launcher instead. This means it is harder to swarm kill mobs but you can do cool things like totally annihilate lower level raid bosses, and you do awesome DPS when doing so.

By the way, a weapon swing gives you a chance at a proc, but you will only proc if the roll is successful and a proc is actually available. Whether a proc is available or not depends on the proc rate of the weapon or ability. The devs actually came out and mentioned that headshot had been tuned to only proc a few times a minute. This is regardless of bow delay. Prior to the nerf procs became available so quickly that a super fast bow like Bow of the Destroyer gave you the best chance at using all of them, but after the adjustments with the much lower proc rate now, you can actually use a bow with better damage and reasonable delay and expect to use all your available headshots without missing any.
  10. Lankie Augur

Headshot is base 2 ppm, same as most weapon procs. May or may not be modified with dex / heroic dex who knows. But weapon delay makes no difference. You actually have a lower chance to proc with a faster bow, per arrow.

Delete bow of the destroyer, it's useless.
  11. Lankie Augur

Nonsense, procs do not have a cooldown, you can proc twice or three times in a row. It's rounded out to 2pp.. actually base proc is 1ppm on a non modified weapon proc I believe. Main hand has doubled proc rate, that's why you see 2ppm, offhand will do 1ppm.

For example if you have 30 second weapon delay you thearetically have 100% proc rate. That's why warriors used to get shaman slowed before rampage / riposte AE killing with earthshaker.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

Proc available. Attack now!
  13. Prisim Lorekeeper

Agreed. I remember assassinating at level 60 on my rogue way back in the day. They need to introduce assassinate and decapitation AAs to equal headshot. Decapitation is level 91. Oy!
  14. HoodenShuklak Augur

I feel like... if level 70 players are using complaining about their 10/17 bows to use some broken aa then they are just asking for a nerf.
  15. Communist Puppy Augur

Found the guy who didnt read patch notes and hasnt played since headshot was reworked.
  16. Polekn Augur

Because everything they write in patch notes is true. If you are a ranger try it yourself and decide for yourself what bow you want to use.
  17. Random newb Augur

Yeah assassination used to be an innate ability gained at level 60 starting in kunark. They need to find I way to put it back in, also rogue aa used to keep up with or exceed ranger aa level for kills. Now rogues lag several expansions behind before they can unlock the same level aas as rangers get.

It would be nice if devs too a look at it and did something about it.
  18. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/game-update-notes-february-19-2014.208298/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/test-update-2-14-2014.208175/
    snailish likes this.
  19. That One Guy Augur

approximately 2 per minute for a raid geared player means that the proc rate scales to gear and is not set to a specific amount? I wonder how big of a difference it is when you compare completely naked to BIS ranger.
  20. Varu Journeyman

I decided to humor you all and used an Oak Treant Recurve Bow (47 delay) for my last 2 headshot clears. It took me 32 mins to clear the mission and 45 mins for the next using it. Out of my 40ish runs, my worst run using a BotD is 26 mins and average run is around 22 or 23 mins so it is clearly worse. Leave it to the forums to pick the 1 irrelevant thing in my post, nitpick it, and spread false information about it. Maybe in the later ranks delay doesn't matter but with rank 4 it 100% does matter. Also on a personal note, it is way more fun to use a BotD and see my guy shoot out arrows like a machine gun and watch the hits fly by.

My experience with headshot is it works like a critical hit, not a weapon proc. It has a % chance to proc on every hit that lands. More hits landing will increase your procs per min and extra dex will increase the chance each hit lands a headshot.

Now back on topic...Spending the 15 AAs to "upgrade" to the TSS rank 7 headshot lowers the proc rate around 5x and makes this ability nearly useless. It becomes lower than 1 headshot per min on average. In 87 mins of killing with headshot rank 7 I only got 62 headshots.