TGB

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Millianna, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmats Augur

Have known and been in more than one guild that did this occasionally pre-kunark. IIRC it was due to bad class makeup. Non-leading edge guilds might have only one haste/crack caster online (sometimes an alt), so they required multiple meds to fm and buffs would fade before they could finish. Couple that with what seems like 1-2 people that were linkdead at any given time due to ~56k modems (or worse), so raid leader might have everyone wait in chat server until you had at least one tank and most of your healers.
  2. Millianna Augur

Most raid mobs has some sort of mass dispell or debuff spell. You had buff yourself with crap buffs in proper order so you could deal with the dispell or debuf. Sometimes you needed to dispell yourself. There was also bug that would make you imune to a specific debuff... fun days.
  3. Rickate Augur

Right, if you're first or second on any server you're one of the people sitting there with the gear from a dozen or more kills under your belt only giving the other raid their one shot a month at the raid mob because a GM has enforced first in force. Even on your early kills there is no one waiting to pounce if you wipe so it's faster to go in half buffed, rez and buff and try again than mess with the chat server.

The other force is going to do everything they can to win and also as a morale issue since if the Rogue doesn't get buffed right down to Acumen he's quite possibly going to be wearing the guild tag of the group hovering as close as the GM allows by the end of the day.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Before Mass Group Buff and Target Group Buff, and back when many buffs lasted only a very short time, raiders for Naggy and Vox would assemble right outside their room. Each group would be formed and would be buffed by a class, then someone of another class swapped into the group to do the next set of buffs. When the group was finally fully buffed, they would camp out to the chat room.

Then the whole thing would be done with another group. Remember, raids were 72 people then and buffs might only last for 30 minutes.

So, yes, we did camp out until everyone was ready.

So when people lax lyrical about how awesome the game was in the beginning vs. today, they conveniently forget the huge amount of time and effort it took to do what today would take a few minutes.

What was awesome back then was that it was all new and exciting. No other game had this kind of play where you could assemble 72 people to take on a dragon.
    Dreadmore, Yinla and IblisTheMage like this.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Actually no, raids weren't 72 then... raids were "bring a whole lot of people and whoever did the most damage got the XP." There wasn't a raid tool when EQ started. I don't remember exactly when it was introduced but it was long after Naggy/Vox days.
    kizant likes this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Pretty sure it was PoP. I remember stupid Giraffe thing in Umbral Plains being without a raid, casters stealling EXP with grav flux and a mem blur.

I remember doing crystal dragon in Halls of Honor with a raid of 72+ extra groups outside.
  7. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Yeah, it was PoP. Bonzz's page has it listed as a new feature (and that page looks like it was made in 2002 heh). http://www.bonzz.com/planesofpower.htm
  8. kizant Augur

Old raids were the best. Wizards got all the kill shots and xp before stupid group damage. And logging to chat really wasn't needed for Nag or Vox. It's not like buffs did all that much anyway. Just needed 35 to 40 people but it was funny seeing some guilds throw everything they had and still lose.
  9. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

A sleeping, 80 couric giant has been awoken in the Northland of Canadia. And Forum Quest trembles, eh.
  10. Millianna Augur

Could we disable the ability to use tgb on group HoTs and short duration dps buffs? Then removing tgb makes sense since most of my HoT cast and dps buffs are ment for my group.
  11. Gnomereaper Augur

[IMG]

Then that would mean losing out on being able to MGB group buffs and heal other groups more easily that are short duration. It would nerf raid healing strategies and completely destroy abilities like Auspice of the Hunter. Altogether not something I want to see, as someone who easily just targets someone in their group to cast the hot anyway.

Functionality if short duration buffs were spliced into Short and Long duration, with the new TGIBLE functionality for on/off being routed to short duration buffs that were not AA abilities.... but then the amount of coding and possible bugs that would introduce would be huge.

I don't want my healing abilities nerfed, when I raid I raid in 3 dimensions and multiple groups.
    Sheex likes this.
  12. gotwar Gotcharms

This is essentially removing useful functionality to circumvent something that, in the end, comes down to personal usage preference.... that can itself be circumvented by simply hitting the tab key on your keyboard.
    Belexes likes this.
  13. Millianna Augur

The outlier here are the short duration utility buffs. They don’t follow the same conventions as similar buffs. Unless you have absolutely no other role fill, you have no business casting these buffs on other groups. That ability does not serve a purpose in the group game - only raids.

All I am requesting is to align group HoTs with similar group spells (and short duration utility buffs). This seems to be a reasonable request that does not have a huge impact on what the devs are trying to accomplish.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Yes, I guess I just went with 72 because that was when the raid tool first started. You are correct, the raid tool did not exist then.

I don't remember if there was a limit to how many you could bring. I do know that we really did have to put a buffer into each group, buff that group, swap them for another buffer, and keep doing that until the group was buffed. Then that group would camp out to chat room and it would all be done with the next group.
  15. Gnomereaper Augur

Reasonable to who?

This is a nerf pure and simple to current functionality since the implementation of TGB during Shadows of Luclin.

And yes it does have a huge impact, because there are times when healers in other groups die or lack mana and tossing a group Elixir on the other team helps them out and keeps the raid ticking. You are directly asking for a nerf for my ability to heal other groups in a raid that has been available for almost twenty years.

There is nothing reasonable about that other than preserving your own ability to not have to hit an additional button when targeting someone outside of your group to heal.

Clerics have had enough nerfs ranging from Quiet Miracle to Alliance lately, nerfing an old standby ability that has been an in game feature since the third installment of the game is not healthy for setting expectations on new features. I've hit the additional hotkey to target my own group for years, yourself and other people can adjust to the minor informality that the rest of us have had to live with.

It's an extra keystroke at times, but given the flexibility and the capacity has existed for so long that is a game staple strategy. Not to mention then there are potential coding issues that might come up that would deplete functionality such as the ability to stack with MGB.

Why should I lose functionality for someone else who doesn't want to use an extra keystroke? That's what this boils down to. I'm not one to give up functionality for someone else's convenience over a keystroke. There's a difference between say adding in the /Melody command or merging abilities together to make it easier to play a class with fewer button clicks. But this? This is an automatic nerf to raid abilities, which is unnecessary as the ability to use HOT's on other groups isn't super overpowered and rather expected and built into the healing game.

I agree with streamlining, but not at the loss of functionality. Especially a loss in HPS and the capacity to assist other healers LOM or dead which reinforces the team work aspect of the game. Which is the entire reason why raids exists and why the Alliance spells were made. To encourage Team Work.
    Saroc_Luclin likes this.
  16. Millianna Augur

And the removal of tgb functionality isn’t a nerf?
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is just a change in functionality since you can still cast group spells on both your own group and other groups with just a change of ensuring you are targeting someone in the correct group now.
    Saroc_Luclin and Sancus like this.
  18. Millianna Augur

The tgb is pn the chopping block no matter what anyone says..

It doesn’t matter if always have it on, off, or toggle - it’s always been about preference. Arguing that it’s only a nerf when it affects your play style is nonsense.

Sure, removing the ability to cast a HoT on any group constitutes as a nerf, but can really argue that it wasn’t an oversight to begin with? I honestly can’t imagine they wanted a single person continuously casting these types of buffs on every group on a raid.
  19. Millianna Augur

It’s a nerf - “not a nerf” is not even a valid argument at this point.
  20. Horyuken Augur

Nothing changes HIT YOUR TAB KEY, or whatever key you map to switch targets, cast spell hit TAB again. Why is this so hard?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.