Summoning Mobs/Test server

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by silku, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Edrick Augur

Sony seems to be terrified of anyone mentioning beam kiting and will lock any thread that talks too much about it. I don't understand it. I've never seen an issue so purposely ignored and blocked by SOE before.

It is a problem. Address it. Don't dance around the issue. Take a precision tool to the issue, don't hit multiple classes with a sledgehammer so you can say you aren't targeting a single class.
  2. Stubar Augur

I didn't say it was a better opinion/option. All I said was nerfing a class instead of what they did would be a matter of opinion.Someone commented on my post, I simply replied. I didn't even put my opinion.

Take the time to read the post.
  3. Vlerg Augur

I fail to see how a beam nerf would affect mages who don't beam?

Please, don't give me the '' farming TS mats by killing greybies'' excuse.

I get it dosen't affet you. However it does affect other people. It IS detrimental to the new player and the group scene when ground-valley ( hotzones) are lagged out 24/7 . it IS detrimental to people doing partisan-mercenary-hunter in said zone. there's a reason why people have been talking about beam for the past 2 years ( wizzy and mage one).

Like, really? slapping 6 classes in the face ( while not fixing the problem AT ALL cause beamer will just go disrupt other zone) or nerfing 1 ability , beam, to be in line who other similar ability... a matter of opinion? how can you even have a straigth face typing that?

I'm done before I get this thread locked...
  4. Leerah Augur

We stuck up for the necros and I don't see them sticking up for wizards and there's a lot fewer of us. If this were a necro nerf, it'd be 33 pages by now.

THIS IS A POORLY THOUGHT OUT NON-SOLUTION. Don't push it live tomorrow!
  5. Mysl Augur

Well, like it or not, I think it is going to be pushed to live servers.
    Honestly, it is just moving the problem to other zones. Unfortunatly, it punished kiters who have nothing to do with the zone disruption.
    It would be nice to know what data the dev team use to make this decision.
  6. Robnie Augur

You realize this hurts necros too? Evantil was my favorite kite spot.

We just know how to pick our battles. Or we got tired of fighting, one of the two!
  7. Stubar Augur

Hmm, let me think....straight face cuz live in North America. The foundation of our society is about differing opinions. Right or wrong---an opinion is an opinion and you can never ever take that away from anyone...ever.

You think it's a stupid solution, that's your opinion. I never knocked you for it. Someone else had a different opinion, I didn't knock them for it either.

I say people are allowed an opinion, I get attacked and you come at me? /shrug
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Yet you took it away the ability to get AA's at a rapid rate nearly COMPLETELY from 3 other classes because it was "too fast". Laughable at best, the bias we see here.
    Barbwarrior and Leerah like this.
  9. Leerah Augur

You just watch the number of casters and rangers logging in after tomorrow. Guess I'll work on my sk or bard till you fix this.
  10. Stubar Augur

I don't even know what you are going on about here. I don't know how it works nor did I claim to. I implied some Mages might be upset about one of their abilities getting pooched. Nothing more, nothing less.
  11. Piemastaj Augur

Beam is used for more then just gaining exp.

It is used frequently on raids. AE killing mobs down have been in the game for years as raid content. And yes the killing of lower con mobs for TS and such.

Piestro said this was not specifically for beaming. These changes were aimed at mass exping abilities, and instead of changing numerous abilities to make it so they simply do not work they chose to go this route.

The funny thing is and the real kicker, that this was all brought about by people complaining about Beams/HS/Decap/Rogue Decap/SK swarming ect. Littering SOE live with all these threads, I am sure the developers loved seeing those pop up every week. Reap what you sow?
  12. Barbwarrior Augur

and wizard have to make do with beam only hitting 9 targets works fine for farming grey mobs btw
  13. Vlerg Augur

Well Stubar, since you are active in this discussion let me give you a summary.

beam is a large cone AoE in front of the caster that do low damage. Both wizzies and mages have those kind of spells... there's few différences between both, but the one important difference is that the wizard beam is limited to 8 target at once while the mage beam have no limit.

the typical strategy is to pull a very large number of mob ( 100+), round hem up, pop disc, and kill hem all.

By grouping such a large amount of mob, the zone begin to lag... it's not your computer, it's not my computer; it's SoE server who cannot handle it; mobs start warping back ( or don't move at all), spell are heavily delayed, merc freeze... basicly you are playing with 2000 ping ( but it's on SoE side,)... the zone is unplayable for everyonelse who may be in it. ( this process can take anywhere from 5 to 20 minute, depending on the skill of the beamer, every repop cycle)

their fix: By adding summoning mob, mages won't be able to pull them ( making their beam smaller- no more zone lag).

---

Back to our argument: the most common ''fix'' people asked is to nerf the mage beam the same way wiz beam was nerfed: 8 target max... other idea involve reducing range, increase-reducing run speed of different mob ( so they cannot bunch hem up). split the dmg evenly amongst X number of target ...

My argument: reducing mage beam to 8 target max won't affect mages much outside of that particular beaming strategy... I can farm TS mats, or play with old raid just fine with that 8 target beam... raid like west karana ( if you use AoE on that) are fine...

Your argument, from what I understand: there's a whole bunch of stuff mage do with that spell, other than the obvious PL, and it's gonna devastate them!
    Leerah likes this.
  14. Siwin Nonesuch Elder

This is going to massively effect a Druids ablity to solo. And since druids are one of the least desirable classes to group with, this is a huge blow for a Druids way to get EXP. Plus its a good thing being able to do to solo stuff when I only have a half an hour or hour to play. This is going to destroy a Druids ablity to charm or quint kite effetively at level 100. Charm kiting by the way is really only good for 5 mobs at a time, any more then that the mobs either die to fast and are uncontollable meaning they bypass the mob you have charmed and keep coming for the caster.
    Basicly this change will make these spells we get all but useless.
    Beast's Bespelling Rk. III
    Hailstorm Rk. III
    Heliacal Fire Rk. III
    Frosthowl Chill Rk. III
    Vinelash Assault Rk. III
    Paralytic Spores

The last two are roots so if a mob is even slightly damaged, this will get a ping pong effect going off summoning mobs while grouped and druids are the the easiest to die out of the priest classes. We are as fragle as the 4 INT casters.

Remember Underfoot and why it was so "Hard" and subsequently just made people quit playing EQ was the fact just about ever mob summoned. And most were immune to run speed changes.

I never got massive ammount of EXP for doing this and I certainly never disrupted a zone doing it.
    This is a horrible, Horrible, HORRIBLE change that will greatly effect many classes and the people who like to play the game their way.
    This change will make players feel alienated I beleive.

IF beam kiting was the real issue of this change, I suggest that this should be looked at. Not a wide sweeping change that will effect many classes.
    Most of all this will effect druids more then any other class.

I guess there is nothing I can really say to get the Devlopers to change their minds about this. Nothing I ever have has. :(

This change makes me sad. I really wish the devlopers would reconsider the change.
    Eviara, Lealani, Leerah and 2 others like this.
  15. silku Augur

I am curious why there doesn't seem to be any consideration of input from the player base?
    Sinestra, Eviara and Naugrin like this.
  16. Stubar Augur

Oh, so if I am reading this correctly, what you are saying this was an exploit, and a doosy at that. I understand completely now. I would think people should be happy they didn't get suspended.
  17. Edrick Augur

Civility tends to get thrown out the door when developers respond personally to threads like these, that's why they punished made Piestro the communications guy.
  18. Langya Augur

Probably when the spells are not abused and latency in crappy server hardware is not exploited, the spells are tuned correctly.

Beams are not a focused cone of death touch. They are some of the weakest spells damage wise on a single target a mage has available. Rains are more efficient and spears/fickle/bolt do more on a single target. Plus beaming means no pet. Its not money for nothing and chicks for free and honestly an SK or pally or cleric has more available to them to successfully pull and burn down mass quantities of mobs than most mages. If the server hardware was a bit more robust, than beam kiting would be nothing short of a nightmarish challenge where every AA is earned in proportion to the work put in.

As it is now, having a bard around really is a big plus. With no lag, a bard would be mandatory unless you were god of kiting. Mages still can't AE snare or root without clickies or the earth pet (like a wizard...oh is that why wizard beams got nerfed?) and they can't evac to somewhere safe in the zone when things go wrong...like a wizard, or feign death..so on and so forth. There are many drawbacks.

This issue would not exist if the server hardware was not trash. That is why it is more about denying the ability to round up huge trains and rubber band the zone. Again, economics trumped proactive design or common sense. Someone wanted to save a few bucks and this is what we get.
  19. Tarrin Augur

The funny thing is, I only hear 1 of those mass killing classes being effected by things summoning now.
  20. Denial_Sinfae Augur

Ber, Rng, Rog -- mass killing is restricted to level 88 and below.

SK, a little higher, but not too much. You have to get hit.

Mag-- Any number of any level of any con of any difficulty so long as they don't summon.

Mag - 372 white cons that hit for 19k? Np. 1,967 blue cons that hit for 12,345? Np.

SK- 7 white cons that hit for 19k? ...Meet you in the lobby for rez?