second server locked at pop were people can box

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by nostalgia, Apr 18, 2017.

1. nostalgia Lorekeeper

Could we please have a second server were people can play more then 1 account for computer or please put instancing on all previous tlp.
    Zavix likes this.
  2. Mowens Elder

lol why? so we can have another ragefire fiasco? ragefire/lockjaw will keep going as is, if you want to play where the crowd is you'll come to agnarr and learn to box legit.
  3. nostalgia Lorekeeper

I do 6 box on lockjaw and only use hot keys no 3rd party program and why not make a server for the boxers .and for a long time in eq i only played 1 account,the point is i am entitled to play eq my way and no i do not farm or rmt i just log on every 2 or 3 days when i am working but on vacation nearly every day.
  4. Kahna Augur

You have Ragefire. You can box there, you can play the way you want there. They don't want to depopulate RF by making a boxing locked server. Sorry.
  5. snailish Augur

There are 3 truebox servers iirc, Phinny, Agnarr, Brekt? (and sometimes Quarm???). That means there are a lot of servers that are not truebox that cover a wide range of era options.

I would be very surprised to see another non truebox progression server for a few years at least.
  6. Intin Elder

Quarm was truebox, Brekt is not.
    snailish likes this.
  7. Ultrazen Augur

I'm going to predict a couple of things....

1. The ruleset for Agnarr is going to prove to be the most popular ever, and the login ques are going to make ragefire at release look tame.

2. DBG won't be prepared for this.

For me personally, this combination of stuff is exactly what I'm looking for, minus the ability to box on one computer. Given how much interest they are going to have in this, I'm not sure what harm opening up a 2nd server with this ruleset, and open to boxing would be. It would actually pull some of the people that are going to box on multiple machines off of the truebox version.

I love grouping, and I do it when it's an option, but there are a lot of times I play odd hours, or just want to work on another character or catch a character up. I wish there was some middle ground between having to have individual computers, or people running 50 bot armies. Heck, even a server limited to 2 or 3 accounts per machine.

As for the 'they don't want to depopulate ragefire' stuff, lol.....all the other TLPs are going to be absolute ghost towns once Agnarr opens, and I'm happy to take paypal bets on that one.

DBG opening a second server with open boxing probably won't happen, but it should. They'd make quite a bit of money on it for one.
    Devante and nirriri like this.
  8. Auedar Elder

From someone who 6 boxed on Lockjaw to someone who 1 boxed/eventually 2 boxed (and 3 boxes for when I'm really bored....) on Phinny....

If you can form your own group of characters, it is almost always significantly more efficient to group with yourself versus finding a pug group. With a pug group, you have no idea what you are getting, and sadly in group settings and lower levels, a lot of people tend to ninja afk or not play their class properly. You don't have to wait to invite people, for them to get there, to set up a camp, for them to ninja quit, etc. You are setting up at camp within 3-5 minutes of logging in versus waiting a half hour. Unlimited boxing kills pugs, plain and simple.

Also, unlimited boxing + instance raiding = $$$$$$$$ for those who box raid forces. Many of the encounters in early everquest are spank and tank with little variation, and the only thing stopping multiboxers from getting loot was the competition from other guilds/knowing they would get endlessly trained if they tried to compete with guilds in open world on certain encounters. The server would just turn into 1 man raid teams selling raid loot for krono.....

Pairing both of these things together wouldn't make for a good server, there are 4? (Not sure about Vulak/Fippy) TLP servers where you can multibox. There is also every single live server to choose from. You do have options.

The major problem is that it is incredibly hard to bring in fresh players into playing classic everquest that have never played the game before. Everquest is nothing like modern MMOs, so it's very hard to bring in fresh blood since the majority of us play the TLP servers for nostalgia reasons more than anything else. It's hard to make new rule sets for TLPs without splitting up the already limited player base of the existing TLPs, but Agnarr does a very good job of it since it will most likely bring in a lot of p99 players.
  9. AgentofChange Augur

Phinny launch didn't have any issues, and it blew Ragefire launch out of the water. I don't foresee any problems. They increased their capacity enough that the launch will be pretty clean, at least as far as getting everyone on the server who wants to be there. There are lots of other problems that could arise, but capacity won't be one of them.
  10. Illusory Augur

Lol, I'll never understand why people try to make a living out of video games. We all know why people box 6+ characters and to say otherwise would be frivolous. That said, I don't think DBG would ever make the mistake of creating another TLP or ELP server without TrueBox code.

You're not entitled to anything and you've agreed to play EQ the way DBG outlined under the EULA.
  11. nostalgia Lorekeeper

well play eq your way is part of eq lore and marketing i belive.
    So whats a cheap laptop or tab that can play 1 instance of eq easily i have 3 old pc in the garage plus the wifes and my pc, or i could play on a boxing pop locked tlp.
  12. Catashe Augur

Stop... just stop... How many more TLP servers you need before the TLP population gets so spread out it ain't worth playing anymore? Not to mention I'm sure you just want to "box" to grind them almost free kronos the first 3 months of the server like 75% of the people going to agnarr for.. lol
  13. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Yeah, its a good marketing tool, but its not literal, lol. At Burger King they used to say you could "Have it your way!" but that doesn't mean you can order sushi and then get mad when they say "Sorry, sushi is not on the menu."
    Devante and Illusory like this.
  14. Thorn01 Journeyman

Im going to make a prediction.

1. The server is going to be full of krono farmers and trolls for the first few months. People who will only be playing there to benefit from you people.

2. The server population will never be over medium after we are done farming your sever.

Unless everyone from p99 is coming to agnarr, there's no way its going to match phinny population. On release, and for a few months after, sure.
    But that's only because there are krono to be made and tears to be had
  15. taliefer Augur

i will be shocked if there is ever a new server that isnt "True box."

Mass boxing just isnt healthy for a game. maybe there will be a quarm event that allows it, but even that would be a surprise.
  16. Illusory Augur

Lol, exactly!
  17. snailish Augur

Phinny's continuing success has shown it to be the best at what it does.

Agnarr is not Phinny. It is aimed at a different core audience, it does something else. It doesn't need Phinny population to succeed, which is good because it is unlikely to have those numbers.

Agnarr (in my view) will do very little population splintering of current Daybreak EQ servers. It will bring in people not currently playing and/or seldom logging in. Enough of them to be viable. "lock it, leave it, collect $" --pretty smart business plan really.

Will it have some aspects of the Phinny economy? For sure, especially to start. One can avoid that, use that or be frustrated by that.
  18. Machentoo Augur

If they keep cranking out nothing but new true box servers, at some point the agreement with the folks at emcue2 is going to break down I imagine. Will be interesting to see how that plays out when that point is reached, but I think the long term result would not be very good for DBG.
  19. Machentoo Augur

Not necessarily. Phinny has several unique characteristics. True box, instanced raids, slowest xp, moderately paced expansion unlocks... You can't point to any one of these and be certain that they help more than hinder. The combination has been wildly successful, but no one can say whether the server might have been even more successful with some other combination. For instance, unrestricted boxing, slightly faster xp, instanced raid server with fully instanced group content (allows you to get away from the mage box armies, while also allowing DBG to take in all that sub $$ from the mage box army players) might have been even more successful than Phinny. The only thing I think we can be sure of is that instanced raiding helps tremendously.
    snailish likes this.
  20. Ootax Augur

After people complain enough to get this server, then lets complain to get a server that only allows 2 boxing. Then we gotta through out the pvp TLP complaints too. Might as well add in a Velious locked truebox and box servers too. Let's just keep going until every single person gets their own individual server.