second server locked at pop were people can box

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by nostalgia, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Machentoo Augur

This seems to be the trajectory, and at some point everyone will get to see how much fun playing on a server with a population of 1 is. I file pretty much all requests for new servers/rulesets in the "be careful what you wish for" file.
  2. elebertus Journeyman

As some others pointed out, once the initial rush starts to flatten out, the economy starts to balance, and the trolling is no longer a novelty, the true box aspect won't really matter as much.

The trouble with boxing is that there's a lot of use cases for boxing. Mine personally is to just be able to login and play when there's nobody else around or just fart around for a little while when I actually have some free time to burn. Then there's folks that monetize it by selling accounts, krono, and generally being . If we didn't have people that wanted to abuse boxing then it wouldn't really be a problem.

Then of course there are people that hate boxing no matter what. They have their voices and are as equally justified in their reasoning as people electing to box.

It's not a simple problem. The true box rule set unfortunately is the happy medium that weeds out more of the and promotes an overall higher server health. By default (we'll pretend mercs don't exist) the game was designed, at least specifically in this era, to be played by groups of players. So it's very easy to make a logical argument to defend discouraging playing multiple accounts even in accord to the true box rules. As annoying as that might be, installing synergy and EQ on an old laptop isn't really that big of a difference.
  3. Ryder Lorekeeper

They already have the money from Mage Box armies, as those guys use Krono paid for with in game currency and items to keep the accounts up.
  4. snailish Augur

I concede your point entirely.

Another combination could be even more of a magic formula. For sheer population, Agnarr is not it (though I personally am looking forward to Agnarr) and your example would be a pretty good bet. It will be interesting down the line, when Phinny is far enough along in era, when they launch a new progression server going for a high-population audience.
    Machentoo likes this.
  5. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Just lock lockjaw there forever and allow free transfers to Ragefire :p
  6. Machentoo Augur

Seriously doubt they are getting nearly as much $$, from krono or otherwise, from mage box armies post phinigel launch as they were during Ragefire/Lockjaw heyday.
  7. Ryder Lorekeeper

No what I'm saying is that the Krono mage box armies farm items and plat to trade for...are already purchased.

As in DBG has already made money off those Mage Accounts, due to non-mage boxing army players buying Krono.
  8. Machentoo Augur

If there aren't people buying the items, there aren't mage armies selling the items, and all that becomes irrelevant. There are not nearly as many people buying those mage army farm stuffs as there were before Phinigel launched, hence the $$ is down for DBG regardless of when the krono were purchased.
  9. Juzam Djinn Elder

"second server locked at pop were people can farm the crap out of Krono and ruin it for everyone else"

Fixed it :p:p:p:p:p
  10. Ryder Lorekeeper

Krono are the worst.
  11. wildone Elder

All the kronos farmers would be on the truebox server why would they be on a server of people who just want to play and box when they feel like it and if i am wrong that means less farmers on the truebox server,i don t see a second server were boxing is allowed having a negative impact on people who tottaly hate boxing,more active accounts for daybreak.
  12. sifonin Augur

I <3 Krono!
  13. Espiritun Augur

Real edgy prediction there. Tell us, Oh Wise sage, will the sun come up tomorrow?
  14. Acen Elder

I love that this will be a semi non box server with the faster exp. The box armies were very annoying on Ragefire and Lockjaw. I did not mind them as much until I had a camp and they just steam rolled it, and was very in my face about it, and I had not even complained or argued with them. I think the words were this is my camp now.
  15. Throndor Augur

People box because it allows them to take on meaningful character progression content in areas where the exp rewards are less than optimal.

The large majority of EQ players, when going PUG to LFG, just want to sit in the highest ZEM zones. As such, it's not exactly optimal for players looking to accomplish goals outside of raw exp. Take, for example, farming Lucid Shards for the VP key. A determined player logs in to get this accomplishment completed on their character for raiding. If they miss the boat on the initial surge of raiders keying for progression, they're pretty much screwwed on accomplishing this outside of significant 'back-farming" effort by fellow guildies willing to backtrack and farm these camps with them.

Randoms just dont care. They would rather drone on in Greig's getting 10% more exp than accomplishing anything meaningful for their characters, because they have no intention of doing anything else when they log in besides sucking hind- and half-assing their way through EQ behind schedule until it locks in POP.
  16. The Hated One Augur

Our gang of folks all box. We box because we enjoy each others company and we like to raid. We like the challenge of taking down targets with the fewest folks needed using tactics and skill. This doesn't belittle the accomplishments of larger groups or non-boxers in any way. We just like to do it ourselves as much as we can. We at times get help from others for things that we just are not capable of accomplishing as there are just not enough of us.

If they would make a server with normal live rules/exp progression and with instancing my friends and I would jump on it in a heartbeat. We would likely field 30-40 toons between a handful of people without the use of illegal programs n such. We would have a ball. Plus DGB would gain about 20 accounts from us...as we shut down half our accounts to come to phinny. With instancing...how could a server like this hurt anyone?? We could all just schedule raids without having to climb over each other or get into heated arguements or competition for targets. It would be heaven in EQ for me and my friends. It was what we were wanted Agnarr to be...but alas it wasn't.
  17. Khaliss Augur

I for one recently returned to EQ after a 12-year absence... my RL situation has changed (got married, have a kid, full-time job, etc), so I have to resort to multiboxing my own little group. Currently playing on FV server due to the recent free Heroic character offer... forgot how much I loved this game & having a blast! But live-EQ isn't quite the same as the golden-age of EQ (PoP+LDoN era), so when I heard about Agnarr, I got so excited and willing to pay for the cost to subscribe my support accounts (right now, I'm only paying subscription for my main toon). Then I found out that Agnarr is a true-box server, so guess playing there isn't an option for me.

So now, I'm starting to look at Ragefire & LJ. If DBG locks LJ to PoP/LDoN & allow (toons who want to progress further) transfers to Ragefire (vice versa), that would be an awesome solution!
  18. Machentoo Augur

...an awesome solution, for you. Not so much for the people that have been playing on Lockjaw for the past two years, like their server and don't want to have to move.
  19. Khaliss Augur

@Machentoo: well, I only suggested that because of the OP's idea of opening up a twin server to Agnarr (but without the Truebox feature), which I also would love to see happen, but DBG would probably never even consider. Since LJ & Ragefire are on the same ruleset, and roughly at the same progression timeline, why not make them slightly different? =)
  20. Stewgottz Augur

Rage and Lockjaw need two server because the raids are aren't instanced.

I think an Agnarr clone without truebox would not affect Ragefire and Lockjaw at all. Both servers have had 6+months of Kunark-Velious-Luclin. That's 18+ months. I doubt many if any would leave Rage and Lockjaw to play through classic-luclin again.

It could appeal to people who left the game previously for some reason.