Re-tuned HAs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Galien, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tornicade_IV Augur

Actually Prathun did respond and he said that he didn't think an open conversation would be productive,

He also said that the mechanic used was the same one used similar in the past. Roxxy then stated that it was a topic of discussion.

Its pretty clear that the base scaling for the HA's was gonna lead to problems but hey had over a months worth of data at the original scale.. now they are accumulating data under the current tune.

They also have the test data.
  2. Whulfgar Augur

Interstingly enough when DH's HA's were thee best xp in the game (for 5 yrs straight) why diden't any of you guys complain an threaten to go silver then ?
  3. Tornicade_IV Augur

Well. I didn't complain because I went on a Break after VOA was released and returned in early October but....

Edited to protect the Guilty.:
    [Sun Oct 29 14:49:52 2017] Playe1r tells General:1, 'Isn't doing some of the easier camps in EoK better than gribbles now?'
    [Mon Oct 30 22:19:15 2017] Player2 tells General:1, 'low 90 bard lfg for Gribbles if anyone has a free spot, returning and trying to level up'
    [Mon Oct 30 22:22:23 2017] Player 2 tells General:1, '90 bard lfg for Gribbles if anyone has a free spot, returning and trying to level up'
    [Tue Oct 31 21:58:18 2017] You tell General:1, 'getting those people out of gribbles is the issue'

[Sun Nov 05 22:19:27 2017] You tell General:1, '20% xp for seeking refuge.. this mission is alot easier than gribbles'
    [Wed Nov 22 17:11:22 2017] Player3 tells you, 'na thanks though doing three gribbles sorry man '
    [Wed Nov 22 17:12:16 2017] You tell your party, 'that guy rested turned us down cause we werent doing gribbles ...'
    [Fri Nov 24 06:14:05 2017] You tell general:1, 'i just did gribbles as a bonus for the 3rd one and it was 12% xp and 4 aaa'
    [Thu Dec 07 19:48:14 2017] You tell general:1, 'gribbles arent ha's imo'
    [Fri Dec 15 20:27:20 2017] You tell General:1, 'gribbles. i dont see people asking for dh ha's then doing a cooper ha'
    [Fri Dec 15 20:34:53 2017] You tell General:1, 'the only people ive seen in gribbles kill that fast are raid geared or have a ful group'
    [Tue Dec 19 23:11:54 2017] Player4 tells General:1, 'anyone up to 106 wanna come do gribbles send me a tell. LAST CALL.'
    [Wed Dec 20 18:17:33 2017] You told Player5, 'there is just some that are all about gribbles.. gribbles ha's are where the leeches go cause its easy and fast'
    [Wed Jan 03 19:10:37 2018] You tell General:1, 'Clayton teek has daileybonus Ha's 2 a day. usually both are COTF.Id suggest doing those even if you do the gribbles ha's every day'
    [Sun Jan 21 09:29:16 2018] Player6 tells General:1, 'gribbles were a problem, all other ha's should have been left untouched'
  4. Bigfan Augur

Gribbles are/were not best xp in long time, if you can't manage 17 sec or less mobs, you're doing it wrong.

400k sustained dps for a group should be manageable for anyone.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Zhaunil_AB like this.
  5. Aurastrider Augur

Again my mind boggles at how your mind works. Why would a paying customer complain about something positive in game. That's like going to your favorite restaurant and complaining because the food tastes to good. I mean who in the world complains about a good product or service? Now if all of a sudden the food starts to suck of course you are going to complain or just stop going there to eat. At least in the case of EQ the company has these forums for people to post their comments and can evaluate if making changes are worth retaining those who don't like the new "taste" of the game.
  6. Tornicade_IV Augur

Gribbles Reminds me of Old kunark.

Everyone sitting on a hill fishing chickens in Overthere.

run through
    /ooc anyone wanna goto kaesora or (insert anyplace that requires a dungeon crawl)
    /ooc ***crickets*** (with 42 peoples in the zone)
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  7. BarryGarry New Member

A lot of us were NOT playing during that timeframe or even knew what a HA was, I discovered them recently months ago returning from a break.. yes I am a casual player I don't have ALL day to do this... I have a life and I wanted everquest to be a small part of it. I felt I need to do the prior expansions before doing ROS to catch up/do progression and NOW I cannot do this any longer I can no longer advance... I must stay at a lower lvl if I want to enjoy TBM progression because if I don't I will be punished by this "scale" I was half way through my progression on TBM.... I fell in love with these HAs it was almost like I was playing a different version of EQ and was a blast!! Now I must move on and won't be able to go back and do something years old for at least another year... or I could delevel my toon JUST to do progression, make my friends do the same so we can do it together, how will any alt accomplish this? Basically I am being held back from the rest...You have obviously already done these already I like others have NOT and now CANNOT... you have had the time to do this... Of course you would not complain about this....
  8. Zhaunil_AB Augur

You've had long and detailed replies to this.
    But the shortest possible answer that i can come up with is:
    Because they never were.
  9. Zamiam Augur

A week ? try over 2 weeks now pushing 3.. its about time we hear something from the Dev's ..
    Gyurika Godofwar and Mordeen like this.
  10. smash Augur

Basically when cotf were main expansion, people did xp in rof/Voa.

When tds were people did still xp in rof/voa/cotf. People will alwats make xp in earlier xpansions, because of easiness.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  11. Sissruukk Rogue One

Uh oh, you mentioned Gribble.
  12. Millianna Augur

What are you smoking? 3 to 10% every 3 hours at 110 is sooo awesomeness.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  13. Daedly Augur

Maybe "best experience" isn't the best way to say it? Perhaps it would be more palatable to say it was some of the easiest experience to get?
  14. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Yes, definitely isn't - it's just plain wrong.

meh...
    Ofc they were "easy". And they perhaps allowed a wider range of players to get "that kind of XP".
    But since "easy" and "easiest" are quite subjective expressions, that's not much better though imo.
    And since XP has no relevance to what's discussed here (it was brought up for some reason - imo just to side-track the discussion . by players to "justify" this "fix" while Dev's said something different as to the "why" in the first place), i'd wish we could once and for all drop that topic in THIS thread. Really, if someone wants to insist to speak about XP from HAs, why hijack this thread which is about the out-of-whack difficulty of a huge portion of the old game instead of making their own?
    Mordeen likes this.
  15. Daedly Augur

Don't disagree with most of what you said. Though, I imagine experience being brought up is a result of us not having a definitive answer on why the changes were made in the first place. Which is relevant to the thread. Though, complete speculation.

Hopefully we get some feedback with substance in the next day or two from the dev's.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Lets hope so.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Zhaunil_AB like this.
  17. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I'm as optimistic as I can be given how long this has been going on with minimal responses. I'm happy they are looking at it, I'm happy they told us that here. If they do dev meetings on Thursdays (something alluded to that previously, could be wrong) then that means they've had two meetings since the first response and still no answers.

Maybe they can't agree and so they can't make a decision. Maybe they just can't decide what's best. I'm being as understanding as I can here. I also respect that attempting to discuss it with us here could end badly. With that said, I think this has sat idle long enough that discussing it couldn't hurt any more than not discussing it is now. If nothing else, a dev post explaining what they are trying to accomplish with these changes would certainly help. Furthermore, laying out how they want CotF/TDS/TBM to fit in with the rest of the game going forward... that would be much appreciated.

Listen, the guy I usually group with is taking a break because of this. Today he said he's playing other games, working and spending time with his family! If there is one thing EQ has always been good at, and should always be good at, it's giving us reasons not to spend time with our families. :p Let's not screw up a good thing while we have it.
  18. Natal Augur

The problem is not Gribbles, the problem is the application of this scaling nonsense to later instances which are necessary for progression.

If xp is an issue, it is simple to resolve using the already existing mechanic of zone xp modifiers. It is not necessary to ramp up the mobs so as to make it impractical to go back and do old content at higher levels that you could not manage when it was current.

The entire scalable content thing was a poor idea to begin with. Sure, the concept of having content that could be played for a long time sounds great, BUT ONLY IF DEV EFFORT IS MADE TO KEEP IT CURRENT AND ADDRESS ASSOCIATED ISSUES CONSTANTLY GOING FORWARD.

We have had lots of these sorts of things in the past, and they have all become problematic going forward because the commitment and interest to continue maintaining them on the part of the devs is lacking. Instead their efforts and time go into developing new content, as it should. The problems associated with that older stuff still linger though. You would have thought that with how old the game is they would have learned by now that this "easy button" style content does not work without the commitment of ongoing maintenance, but they keep on repeating the same mistakes. What we end up getting in the end are band-aid solutions that cause a lot more issues for the playerbase and I think in the long run causes them a lot more work on the part of the devs for no benefit than they otherwise would have had to do if they had kept it simple in the first place.

The whole Gribbles issue would have gone away naturally if they simply had not made the scalable content, and all of the issues with subsequent expansions would not be issues if they had simply learned the lesson and not used the scalable systems again (which they SHOULD have understood was going to be a problem since the whole Gribbles issue was well know even then). Did they learn nothing at all from the LDoN mess? Or the raid tradeskill aug mess? Or the dynamic evolving quest mess? Or so many spells/abilities that operate off percentages rather than fixed values? Or all the other things like that? How many times do these mistakes have to be made before it sinks in that these things are poor design for a game that lasts 20 years? These game systems that extrapolate into the future are far more trouble than they are worth and they should just not be implemented at all because who the hell knows what the implications are going to be next year or five years down the road.
    Mordeen likes this.
  19. Millianna Augur

The content isn’t really scalable without going back and retuning the old content. They clearly don’t want use hanging out in old content.
  20. Millianna Augur

I honestly don’t think exp is the reason for the HA changes. As previous stated, exp isn’t even on par with RoS.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.