Race and Class Combo Clash: Finals

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Camien Ta`Mire New Member

I haven't read through every single post here, but it seems to me that the problem starts with this: When I sign into the EQ site, and check and see that I'm logged in, I then go to the voting page, where at the top, it says "Sign In or Join Free!" which tells me that I am not logged in anymore. This is the first problem... you do not have to be logged in to vote, so therefore you don't have to even play EQ to vote. Secondly, what kind of "fair" vote encourages you to come back the next day and vote again? So just because Imy view of fairness is each person casts 1 vote and then that's it for them, I get to lose against some person that votes each and every day over and over? :|

Just my 2cp :)
  2. Camien Ta`Mire New Member

Make that 3cp... just because I rarely post, shouldn't make me a "New Member". I've been playing on this account since I created it in 2000-2001... so I should be a "Very Old Member With No Life" :p
  3. Fenthen aka Rath

42-58 currently in favor of the WE BL - if this was recently fixed/scrubbed then it is a near landslide.
  4. Philphans Lorekeeper

If DE ranger suddenly wins now. It would be my opinion ...the fix is in.
  5. BoomWalker Augur

Imagine all those Wood Elf BST named Drizz Tdorden or Drizzle Treed or Drizzletree or Driz DoTrees or some such....
  6. Crackanory New Member

Just open all classes up to each race, faction is obsolete now, unlike when EQ started, if you want to do something different make a new race.
  7. Abazzagorath Augur

Such absolutely boring choices.
  8. xcitng Augur

*beast* lord with a tree for a pet is silly ... some ladies may go for it but i doubt many guys will, they will surely be made the brunt of many jokes ingame if they do
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Grumpyoldfart New Member

Not to put too fine a point on the lore aspect...but when did treants get relegated to " beast " status? They have always been intelligent beings, to my understanding of Tunare's law...just curious...
  10. LDEffectsMe Augur

Difference there is that all possible combos were never even suggested. When you allow a poll to run for an entire week and the day before the poll closes the Iksar Berserker is winning 64% to 38%, it looks pretty certain that the Iksar Berserker is going to win. When you change that at the last minute, it's like false advertising. Based off of the last day of the voting in the last round, Wood Elf Beastlord shouldn't even be in the finals.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

For security. As of 1/10 (Phantom's post) - 1/12 (current day), poll has consistently favored Wood Elf Beastlord 58-42 or Wood Elf Beastlord 57-43.
  12. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Last race addition: 2003
    Last class addition: 2004

1999 - Launch
    2000 - Iksar
    2000 - Vah Shir + Beastlord
    2003: Frogloks
    2004 - Berserker

Meanwhile...
    EQ2 got:
    2004 - Launch
    2005 - Frogloks
    2006 - Fae/Arasi
    2007 - Sarnak
    2010 - Freeblood (Vampires)
    2011 - Beastlords (with customizable pets)
    2013 - Channelers

Soooooo 3 races vs 5(4) races, 2 classes vs 2 classes (EQ2's runs dual classes, evil/good with the exception of beastlord and channeler)

Arasi are evil looking Fae. (Think DEF vs HIE)

Vanguard...
    They just made every class/race combo open.
    The 4th tank class got scrapped before it flopped its way live.

What's it all mean though?

EQ could use some luvins here. We're talking a 15 year old game, with no new "blood" for 10 years.

I was looking over my chars today, thinking about how I could combo them all to have x1 of each class and x1 of each race with no overlapping.

It is nearly impossible ( possible, just limiting).

While I do like the idea of more beastlord pets (since EQ is locked 1-1), I feel Iksar Berserker would have added more variety in the end.

What EQ really needs (and has for AGES), is another true healer. (Shaman and Druids were adapted to their current roles.. and while they can do the job, they are still stuck being split.) The game could also benefit from another tank class. (Ahh the infamous Ranger "4th tank" because of taunt). Monks and Berserkers can handle taking some hits.. but really, there is so much more.

Alas, I digress. I've been to and from EQ, EQ2, and VG. My heart is still with EQ1. Something needs to be done, not just a + 1 class/race combo. Not that the game won't function without it.. but it has been a decade.... a DECADE. Add something new maybe?

tl:dr
    EQ needs more than just one race/class choice boost. It has been 10 years without any additions in the race/class area.
  13. LDEffectsMe Augur

While your point does remain intact, the last addition to EverQuest was in 2006 when Drakkin were added in The Serpent's Spine expansion.

I think we are long overdue for a new race or class, but honestly I don't expect we'll ever see one in the original EverQuest again. I really get the feeling that SOE is in a static mode where they just add new end game content every release and don't even think about the lower levels anymore. Plus, with it's limited development team, I don't think they want another class to have to balance out.

They were supposed to add new models to the existing races way back in 2006 as well... We've yet to see one other than the human that flopped. I don't understand why they won't just entirely remake the models as they currently are in Luclin, but with the current engine. We don't need a new art direction, we just need newer graphics... Then everyone who opts for original graphics is still happy and newer/returning players have better graphics and characters who fit into the newer environments and don't look like an eyesore.
  14. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Yeah, I forgot Drakkin.. who are just humans that spit.

The Drakkin modles were supposed to herald the complete revamp of all the race graphics, and allow for more unique armor styles (Drakkin were also unable to use armor dyes at the time). (You'll notice in expansions like TBS, they have humans which are based off the drakkin models)

I totally agree though. I enjoy some nostolgia with the old zones, old models. I miss the Kunark goblins and favor them over the new models. I can't stand the new treants. I don't like Luclin Trolls or Ogres vs the originals.. but overall... Laxing some more class/race combos that make sense, and actually doing what they said they would do in 2006 with the race graphic revamp would be awesome.
  15. SmilingBellikos New Member

As was noted in a previous post, the revamp of the race models based on the drakkin models was halted because everyone hated them. This was the flop that LDEffectsMe mentioned. And it wasn't done to allow for more unique armor styles; they wanted to revamp the models so that they could all be done under the same system to make it easier on their own game engine.
    A revamp of the graphic models might be a good thing, depending on the models. If they look like the models that flopped, it would most definitely not be a good thing. The players protested those models because they were ugly and no one wanted to have those ugly characters.

As to the lore arguments that many people bring up, as far as I'm concerned SOE destroyed the integrity of that a long time ago. First, they allowed frogloks to chose both clerics and shaman. Now they are going to introduce froglok monks. Sorry but the lore excuse just doesn't hold up.

Neither, for that matter, does the excuse that SOE gives about not having the proper animations for all the race & class combos. That just doesn't make sense either if, again, we are going to have froglok monks. Give me an example of a race class combination that is any more guilty of not having appropriate animations than froglok monks.
    Sachiel likes this.
  16. SmilingBellikos New Member

Agreed. And I'd vote for the drakeling, since coyotes and wolves look too similar to the shammy pet. Granted the drake might look similar to a wizard familiar, but most wizards I see dismiss their familiars, and plus, familiars don't get to physically attack mobs. So the drakeling would be the most unique choice.
    Sachiel likes this.
  17. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I know. I was there. I tested TSS. I was around when it hit the fan. So... instead of working on new models, everyone just accepted looking like yr 2000 lvl 1's with dyed armor for another eight years.

The technology about the change is still the same. They simply needed an artist to design better skins. Aside from that, the armor dye aspect required a revamp from the character model to the armor piece itself.

If they hold true to the original EQ designs, I'm sure many would be in favor of getting them revamped (as promised years ago).

That is only one portion of the issue, and a bit off-topic for the thread.

Unless you want sixteen level one hundreds, with 7k+ AA's, there hasn't been anything "new" added in nearly a decade.

Once this vote is passed.. Well.. I can take my ELF RNG, buy a potion... *BAM* DEF RNG. or TRL BST *BAM* ELF BST. Ok... \o/

I don't know... it just feels stagnant. Every expansion.. max out lvls/new AA. Key... key... key... beat the raids. Show off fancy new weap graphics (since that's the only thing that changes visually). Play the same alts. Max out their lvls/new AA. Key... key... key... beat the raids. Show off fancy new weap graphics.

While going from 1-100 isn't a task besides time... and I'm sure a new race/class would be topped out in a week.... the epics, actually learning the class.. the lore.. new area (that isn't some alien-infested junk).. Ughh.

I'm for the WE beastlord here.. simply because of the warder. Though I felt the Iksar berseker was a much more needed addition to the race/class combo. Trolls, Ogres, and Barbarians are seriously hurting due to lack of WIS/INT casters.

The thread may be about ELF BST vs. DEF RNG.... but in reality, there are many more factors (in the race/class area) which ought to receive attention from SOE.
  18. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Fae drake for female ELF BST, glimmer drake for male ELF BST... win/win ;) (Though the other drake modles would be awesome.. it would be a tad unfair)
  19. Erekai Journeyman

Member since 1999, first time poster, awww yiss. (I think).

I just wanna say, ever since making my very first character pre-Kunark, my Wood Elf Warrior, Wood Elves have been far and away my favorite race. And ever since Luclin, Beastlords have been far and away my favorite class. Wood Elf Beastlord is everything I've ever wanted. Ever. And the reason I'm here posting this, is because it's looking like they are gonna win. And that makes me absolutely giddy with excitement!

HOWEVER, I just wanna add my two cents that I think it's really silly that they're getting Treants as warders. I really don't think that makes any sense at all. I don't think I can rightly use Lore as an excuse, because lol@Lore in EQ anymore. However, Treants not being beasts, kinda really upsets me. Especially when there are so many beasts, especially Faydwer beasts, to choose from. Fae Drakes would be pretty cool. Bees! Hell, even BATS would be better than Treants! But what I would REALLY LOVE to see as a Wood Elf Beastlord warder would be the Faydwer spiders. The brown, wooly, tarantula spiders. Nothing, and I mean nothing, would please me more!

Please, SOE, reconsider your decision to give them Treant warders. It just makes no sense. Give them an actual BEAST. That is all. :)
  20. WiIIiam New Member

Ok, I think I will vote for a Wood Elf Gardenlord with a sexy nude dryad as pet!