Race and Class Combo Clash: Finals

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Hanun New Member

The DE Ranger makes no sense other than it's "an elf". But yeah, I agree with Rogue, this totally seems rigged. SOE wants the DE Ranger so why bother voting. The Iksar Berserker would have rocked. Ah well, so much for this. what a waste.
  2. code-zero Augur

I don't think it's really that complicated.

Elves in general are very popular races.

Ranger and Beastlord are a couple of popular classes.

What I don't get is the apparent love for a combo that derived from a throwaway gag in a webcomic that's been dead for a decade or so
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

As of 1/9/2014, Wood Elf Beastlord is ahead 57-43. Dark Elf Ranger wins!

The methodology could be revealed after the final result (without compromising the current contest). Just use the in-game poll system from now on.
  4. Recnarp Augur

Grats DE Ranger!
  5. Riou EQResource

They prob have it fixed internally, but not on the poll display itself, it should still be do-able, all you have to do is vote, clear your cookies for the page, refresh page and re-vote :p. It still works atm.
  6. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Yes, vote for Dark Elf Ranger by clearing cookies and using Tor browser (reset IP address).
  7. Sachiel New Member

In fairness, the reason it didn't happen was because of the huge protest from players who absolutely hated the proposed character models (which were thankfully shown before they were implemented). The overwhelming majority of players who posted their opinions about the subject were solidly against the proposed new character models, and SOE did do the right thing and scrapped the idea. So while I can understand the point that you are trying to make, I have to actually say that I think SOE did exactly the right thing and listened to the player base, at least in that instance.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Yinla like this.
  8. Sinhika Lorekeeper

We already have that with the original Luclin models--half of which look like fetish gear rather than armor. Hero's Forge provides armor for those of us who would like to have female (and male! See original human 'leather' gear...) characters that don't look like stars in a BDSM flick, and/or wearing armor that looks like it might actually protect one from damage.
  9. Sinhika Lorekeeper

"p-o-r-n" is a filtered word? Really? Methinks the bad-words filter is a bit overzealous.
  10. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The Silver and Gold memberships getting more votes is there simply to minimize the impact that people who would make a bunch of free accounts simply for the voting and stuff the ballots that way. By giving Silver and Gold accounts more votes it means anyone who is going to create accounts just to vote will have to make 2x as many accounts to equal a silver and 3x to counter a gold; making that 9 accounts just to vote is a lot more taxing than just making 3.

There most definitely is a reason for the time tables to be used, the same reason that the voting is going on now and not a month or two from now. The Dev's and Coders need time to implement and test the new race/class combos, add the appropriate Guild Masters create the relevant class related quests to the home cities.
    As for the start stop time of the voting, whatever they like, personally I am rather confident that they can easily set anytime they want for the voting to start and stop (If they wanted it to stop at 5:23:42pm PST they could do it). I chose 12 hour periods for the same reason why I chose this Friday for the proposed starting date for a re-vote of round 1; it gives the Dev's and Coders as much time as possible to do what they need to do. If whoever would be setting the new battles for each round could do it in an hour or less then I would say have it at the minimum amount of time needed.
    As for the voters needing to know when for their own voting purposes; the voting for each person would be open the whole week and doesn't have a daily vote option, and it would pop up when the person logs into the game. If the person doesn't log in during that week they miss out, but it is unlikely that the voting start times varying by 12 hours instead of 24 is going to have an effect on people being able to vote.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Never said they were bright about how they go about it. If they were smart at all they would have avoided this issue altogether, but I figure they expected the ones they wanted to win to do so.
    The reason why they care about all the battles is that likely they plan on adding more than just the winner from this voting but not all at once. The voting gives them a point to point to say that this race/class was chosen or asked for by the players over that one.

I don't care about the vote, never have, but the egregiously lopsided changes to all of the votes with only one exception is far too glaring of an anomaly to be natural.

As far as a revote goes, there is absolutely no one who can honestly stand up and say that the voting that has gone on over this past month has ever been a reliable or trustworthy. From the very start people have questioned the entire method, all 4 weeks of voting have been fraught with people using exploits to either do automated voting or to cast multiple votes per day.
    If they were to redo the votes and the results turned out the same, then I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they used a proven and secure system for the voting and limited the voters to those who actually play the game not every person in existence.
    If the vote results are different then the other side can produce evidence and reasons why the new method would be flawed just as many people have repeatedly listed all the ways that the current voting is almost as unreliable as possible.
    No, the Lore reason has always been the reasons= why players do not like certain race/class combo suggestions. The official excuse has always been that many of the various races do not have animations for all of the actions of the various classes, and that the costs on adding animations to the other races is far to prohibitive to realistically consider.
  12. Zantor Augur

And a Iksar Zerker makes since, tons more then a DE ranger. Why it seems to many who replied in this thread said they voted for and loved that combo.
  13. Sinestra Augur

Yes we have been told numerous times about animations, but when asked recently why they won't just open up all race and class combos this is what was said.

PrathunSOE likes this.
  14. Sinestra Augur

It makes more sense to you, not necessarily everyone.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. --Voodoo-- Augur

This is almost too absurd to even bother responding to.

You're saying they want to add several new combos, but only combos that they choose themselves. They do not want the players to have any input, but they want us to think we do. Yet you offer no motive for why they would care about the results. You might say race-change sales, but if that was the case it would make more sense to go with the more popular choice picked by the players (and I would also think they'd have added options for some more popular classes). You're saying they're too stupid to actually rig the results, but are just lying about the results instead. Last and most ridiculously, you follow that up by saying you'd trust them (the same people you think are lying to you now) to accurately report the results of a re-vote.

And you seriously think that scenario is more plausible than some already over-worked dev squeezing an hour out of their schedule to throw together a vote page, with too little time or inclination to consider all the possible flaws, perhaps being a little naive regarding the basic integrity of players. (We're not electing a president here. You even say you don't care yourself.) And now that the flaws are apparent, they're just taking the simple solution of deleting the bad votes rather then going through all the extra work of starting over with a new voting system.

I get that controversy is exciting, but do you honestly believe yourself?
  16. Gaeastar New Member

I love beastlords but a wood elf beastlord with a plant pet makes no sense what part of Beast lord dont they get.
    Recnarp, xcitng, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  17. NireVZ Elder

...Ok so I see it as such. Sure the Forgotten realms was supremely popular and has a large following for fans of he who shan't be named. But seriously. I didn't even think you had a real selection on class/race combinations. Iksar beserker made sense and should of been an option in choosing it already except that kunark was released before the zerker class was...

But some real options would of been like a halfling magician. But since I didn't see real inside story line development, it seemed like stuff was just kinda rolled on and you just mixed stuff together. So I went and voted Dark elf Ranger because at least there can be plausible story line behind it.

Furthermore, Whats with all the racisim towards short races. WE need Love too! Want more options for them! Also wouldn't be a bad idea to try and develop a new class all together.
  18. Sinestra Augur

If anything they actually need more big race classes. The small races (Dwarf, Gnome, Halfling) have more choices in classes than the large races (Ogre, Troll, Barbarian, Vah Shir).
  19. Saave Augur

"Never said they were bright about how they go about it. If they were smart at all they would have avoided this issue altogether, but I figure they expected the ones they wanted to win to do so.
    The reason why they care about all the battles is that likely they plan on adding more than just the winner from this voting but not all at once. The voting gives them a point to point to say that this race/class was chosen or asked for by the players over that one.

I don't care about the vote, never have, but the egregiously lopsided changes to all of the votes with only one exception is far too glaring of an anomaly to be natural.

As far as a revote goes, there is absolutely no one who can honestly stand up and say that the voting that has gone on over this past month has ever been a reliable or trustworthy. From the very start people have questioned the entire method, all 4 weeks of voting have been fraught with people using exploits to either do automated voting or to cast multiple votes per day.
    If they were to redo the votes and the results turned out the same, then I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they used a proven and secure system for the voting and limited the voters to those who actually play the game not every person in existence.
    If the vote results are different then the other side can produce evidence and reasons why the new method would be flawed just as many people have repeatedly listed all the ways that the current voting is almost as unreliable as possible."

In these forums, we were told a long time ago.. voting or polls weren't allowed. Why?
    Well, one COULD create a player and vote.. deleting it and re-making players to vote.
    Too many open situations here.

When I posted a vote or poll years ago, I got shut down from the m o d .

Did they figure out how to do a vote correctly? I guess not from all this in this forum.

Voodoo, one has there right for opinion.

It is a way for SOE to get players involved, and to be focused on excitement of this game. It is a way to get players more involved. Did it go wrong? Did giving us this.. that, or the other... go wrong in the past.

There is always negative comments about anything.

I read his comment about the way it was counted as a vote. I agree. Voting is a bad idea because those players voting don't have the right to observe results. One does not see ' x player voted today for this.. and his/her number of alts voted for that '

You have to trust the results concluded by SOE.
    It is there game. You chose to play it.
  20. Saave Augur

"Too many open situations here."