Quick update for EQ!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Windstalker Executive Producer

Seeing some themes here which is helpful. The team is already talking about some in-game polls and opening up the feedback gates. We realize no one person represents everyone, but it all helps us in the aggregate.

Plus, it's all honestly touching, entertaining, and sobering (and I haven't hit the ale yet today).

And sorry about the DDoS issues. Still working on that. I couldn't get here to post. I've been spamming on Twitter for a while @windstalkereq2 (don't hate me for the "eq2" part...Windstalker was taken! I'm still yours!). I'm adding #everquest to news relevant to you and I'll get my Tweets added here on the Twitter panel (though the community team does the good stuff).
  2. Tyche Elder

I would like an executive producer that actually posts more than once every two years. We've seen this same story played out many times and after the first post they are never heard from again. It's nice you are here but now it's time to use your position to bring about some positive changes to EQ.

Remove the exp nerf recently implemented.

That would be a good start.
    LS_Xegony_Dru likes this.
  3. Roxxanna Augur

"NO" was not intended to be a constructive idea on how to make the game better for all. "NO" is a response based on my opinion of someone else's idea.
    Lisandra likes this.
  4. Tanols Augur

Personally I think Norrath is big enough world and much of it is now never used or hardly used at all. The updated and integrated old zones into some of the more recent expansions I saw as a great re use of existing assets. I never was a big follower of the lore in EQ so forgive my ignorance that is about to be displayed ....

Being a long time D & D player I got used to the idea of battles being fought on different planes of existence. Why not take the existing world of Norrath and revamp (update) it to challenge current player levels and abilities. The lore could just reflect that a higher/lower as the case may be plane of existence had been discovered or even an alternate or parallel universe that is a reflection (copy) of Norrath.

In SoD there was an option to do "Hard Mode" raids. Simply it was the same event with fewer number of raiders allowed in the instanced. Heroic adventures now scale to average group level. I saw this as perhaps a move towards more "intuitive" instanced events. We have seen many "group tasks" that are watered down versions of raids. Is it possible to design instances to scale difficulty / reward so that they are doable with 6, 12, 24, 36 people.

It didn't surprise me in the least, that when the Journeyman's compass was released people learned of and visited many zones of Norrath for the first time. The reality of the size and breadth of Norrath was revealed to them for the first time. Zones and monsters that they never knew existed. I know there are coding issues involved, probably even several different "languages". I have to ask though is it more work or less to re vamp / re purpose the vast majority of Norrath that is at this time not being utilized in any way. Also perhaps a way to re visit the past and complete that which was left incomplete/unfinished/unresolved. How often were zone connections put in that lead to no where just in case there was a future need or a planned need that was never used ?
    Muuadib, Sita, LS_Xegony_Dru and 3 others like this.
  5. Numiko Augur

Actually in the Tutorial your name is Vahlara, yes you are still there handing out armour pieces.
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Lorai Lorekeeper

It is unknown (to me at least) just how many paying subscriptions EQ1 has among its player base (whatever number that may be too). Obviously it has been enough to continue maintenance and development on the product, however meager. But it seems to me that the current subscriptions in all games must have generated enough "profit" to maintain AND fund development on new, as yet unreleased products?

If we still matter to you, I will offer the following advice.

Most of your player base in EQ1 are not into the "instant gratification" served up by the other games out there--including WoW, that results in "instant over, onto the next".

We are loyal to our game only because our characters and guild associations are for keeps.

There is always more to do--for ourselves and for our guildies, whether that be increasing levels or AA's, progressing through tasks and raids, building gear and stats. We continually help each other. The #1 thing for most of us are the relationships we have built with other players since 1999. We may be spread out all over the world, but we interact with each other on a weekly basis as much as, or more than our local friends and family. Over all this time.

Pride in our characters, association with fellow players, and exploring/progressing through new, challenging content TOGETHER are what drives us.

Please know that by eliminating the SoE Live event, you are cutting into our #1 interest (fellow player association), as well as our loyalty to the game via interaction with the devs. You may not think it was "profitable", hopefully you at least broke even. But regardless, in the long term I believe you are being penny wise and dollar foolish.

The new fly-by-night games have their place and I'm sure your new development will cater to that player base. But EQ1 was the first, and it is still going. It is still the best, for players like me. Please return--and retain our loyalty by maintaining the game and continuing to produce creative, challenging content for us to explore.

You can make EQ1 flourish once again, if you care about it enough to. If you keep it different from all the other games out there, and build it quality, they may come, and stay too.
    Melanippe, LS_Xegony_Dru and Finen like this.
  7. Axem the Great Journeyman

This x1000

A lot of people cite RoF as the last "good" expansion, especially the earlier phases of it. A lot of it had to do with the fact that we got to go play in some familiar, yet different areas that brought back some nostalgia. We have an entire world of zones sitting empty that people would LOVE to explore, either again or for the first time if there was content in them for us to do. Instead of new zones from scratch, give us Old Sebilis with frogs that are ready for revenge and a dragon that still isn't dead (undead?), give us Velk's Lab with spiders ready to knock off those ice bridges again if you're not careful. Give us dwarves and dragons warring with giants all over again, and let us choose one more time who we're going to side with. Instead of new zones from scratch, use what we have and beef it up.

As far as raids go -

Plane of hate / fear
    Plane of Sky
    Veeshan's Peak
    ToV
    Sleeper's Tomb
    Vex Thal

These are some of the raids that people mention when they talk about the good old days. Re-use them! Give me a level 105 plane of sky that I have to key through to meet an erudite in a windmill, or a giant death touching bird. Give me a powered up Vex Thal that has random visibles drop during clearing to make it less painful, mini bosses that are events onto themselves, and a giant 4-armed crazy lady waiting for us at the end. I know everyone won't agree with this, but this is just me. And I know it's a hot topic about having zones that only a part of the paying customer base (raiders) will see. But what's the difference between that and making raid events that only raiders are going to see anyway?

cToV was a great example of this. Even though it was a precursor to RoF, it is often lumped in as part of the expansion when talked about, and it was probably one of the best things about it (in some opinions ;) ).

Instead of making new, bring back some of what we loved and what hooked us in the first place, and it might even bring back some old friends who want to be involved with some of that old nostalgia too. Heck, just copy/pasting some of the old stuff and making it 105 with level appropriate loot drops I believe would sell to this crowd at this point! We aren't playing Everquest because it has cutting edge graphics or revolutionary combat. We're playing EQ because it's the game we fell in love with and the lore, size, and fun we find here isn't anywhere else.
  8. Mayfaire Augur

^^^ ALL of that Axem, huzzah and well said. If it makes it cheaper and easier for Daybreak to do for a slowly dwindling population, then even better.
  9. EQtroll Journeyman

Hi Holly! I am not sure if you have progression servers for EQ2, but EQ could use a new rule set progression server! There is always a lot of emphasis on creating new content expansions, but there is a lot of value in reusing the content that was released years ago. Many players are looking for a Time Locked Classic server (Velious or PoP expansion) and since these servers are locked behind subscriptions, it just means more revenue for DayBreak. Please consider this for all the old fogies out there! Thanks!
  10. Bikmer Journeyman

Don't really need server mergers etc... just need an expansion that kicks some !@@#! and encourages players to return to such a great and rich game!

www.srguild.com
    Melanippe and Yinla like this.
  11. Dre. Altoholic

I'm with you on the re-use of old content, but PoSky keys suck.

These old raids could be re-done with old flavor and better, modern mechanics.

Example: Veeshan's Peak- Death = locked out for 2 hours.
  12. Warpeace Augur

At least from my perspective there is a lot of room to revamp old zones for new use. So much of EQ is wasted or under used. Was let down the raids this expansion didn't include a Solt 2.0, that would have been cool following up Corrupted NToV.
  13. Kiillz Augur

yes this omg would love a Sleeper's revamp....Ax you made me well up.
    Axem the Great and Lisandra like this.
  14. Borek-VS Augur

Sucked - they go on the keychain now, and Sirran doesn't assist other mobs. That was a big step forward, about a year ago, I think.
    Axem the Great and Yinla like this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

1. We have enough drama as it is in group zones and some of us remember the troubles between guilds dealing with open world targets so personally I will pass
    2. That was fun but back then there was a larger team that could do larger expansions
    3. You do get xp from green and above monsters just not always as much as you want you will only not get xp from grey mobs. A fact of life in any MMO is that lower level mobs which generally provide little challenge will not be good for xp.
    4. We have enough ways to get to 100 what we need is more current level content for players not repetition of that doesn't get used as it is
    5. Heroic adventures is the new ldon style of adventure
    6. People can box without it and depending on who you ask boxing is bad.
    7. They are still around but styles do change as game play mechanics change
  16. Warpeace Augur

Here are just a few I had off the top of my head that could be worked on to make the game a bit better.

Remove the XP nerf on RoF and prior content, but fix the xp scaling in heroic adventures because that was the real problem and lock outs could be further reduced or eliminated

Add additional lines for socials, currently 5 lines is often just not enough. Say 10 lines?

2-3 additional Bandolier slots

Key bindings set to characters and not global

Merc key ring for merc gear so it’s not taking up bag space

Epic 3.0

NEVER EVER, EVER AGAIN include quests you hail NPC 10x, kill 8 mobs, Hail NPC 6x, Kill 12 mobs, Hail NPC 6 times, Hail NPC 2x finish......those sucked!!

and seen several other great ideas through the thread.
  17. leaola Journeyman

"Bear with me as this hummie druid gets her feet wet"

As a druid try using our reptile skin line on ur tank merc, and watch it curse it instead of the mob, like it has been doing to me for along time with no fix. Hope with new owners the bugs get fixed ( I'd say faster but so many never got fixed there's no way to compair)
  18. segap Augur

A big part of this game is the social aspect. With people playing multiple alts, past server splits/mergers, transfers, etc, I think a lot could be done to help people not only connect with current friends, but perhaps find old friends as well.

For current friends, I'd like to have a way to link alts for tells and the friends list. If some random person I grouped with friended me and wants me to come join them doing something, but I'm on an alt, it would be great if my alt could show up in their friends list, a /who or a tell would come through. Or if I'm dinking around on an alt and a friend logs on they don't have to look for any of the 10 versions of me they actually know about (much less the 10 others they don't know of). Being able to broadcast tells could also help with boxers that may not be looking at the screen you send a message to.

For old friends, I'd love to have a registry linked to current accounts. Let us register our old characters, the servers/years played and the guilds they were in. Link that to current accounts and automatically update with last played. Where data exists, provide some sort of verification of who people are. I've been lucky in randomly running across some old friends, but I'm sure there are probably a few others scattered about on who knows what server with different names I'd enjoy playing with again. Help us reconnect and strengthen the community aspect that keeps us coming back. This could also extend to your entire portfolio of games and maybe get people interested in playing other games all access includes because an old friend plays it.
    LS_Xegony_Dru, Lisandra and Sancus like this.
  19. Ottakar New Member

I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents worth, any feedback on making this great game better is useful.

1. Get rid of the exp nerf please on pre-CoTF zones... plus, get rid of the stupid progression on TDS. I hate, hate HATE that stupid sirens zone and I've had so many issues with mobs popping through walls, etc. It's the zone that made me quit playing in TDS to be honest.
    2. New player models... Currently, the Drakkin are the only attractive models in game. It's time to update the models and make them reasonably attractive.New players see these old goofy mannish looking women character models and I'm sure it's frightened many a pre-teen boy.
    3. If you do reuse old zones for future content, then at least update the trees and stuff. I mean I love the EW updated zone, but seriously... you couldn't invest in like 2 hours for someone to redo the trees in the zone. Yes, I used to decorate seriously in EQ2, I understand the timesink required... but if you already have the "plane" made... then you can do some cosmetic changes as that's the final stage of decorating a zone.
    4. Why not have a SC item where you can change the look of your mercs and maybe a SC item that allows you to keychain the equipment they where. I have a cleric merc and wizard merc fully aa'd and equipped, but I get lazy sometimes and forget to change out their equipment. Popping over to a cleric merc from wiz and having he/she/it already have the equipment needed would be useful.
    5. Last, allow people to design armor for sale on the SC marketplace. I love the Sol'Dal visual armor as well as the last two you put into the game... but, that's about all that look attractive... oh the Dark elf armor is alright too, but allowing us to really customize our toons makes the game more fun.

I'm a casual player and don't raid so I have no input on that part of the game. I do love the Heroic adventures, but TDS really doesn't have that many in the few zones I've played. One in Tempest and one in that stupid Echo zone gets really boring. Why didn't we have one or two for Brothers Island or Katta... the zones are already there, pre-made... all you have to do is populate them, etc for that adventure(and yes I made many a dungeon in EQ2 as well, and actually decorated mine!)
    Lisandra likes this.
  20. Numiko Augur

One old bug that bugs me because it has seemed to have been ignored for a year by Dev's (maybe they have discussed it internally, but no one from the team has never even acknowledged it's existence) is the fact that is you put a sword in the off hand of your melee merc, warrior or rogue, it stops them from duel wielding and cuts their DPS up to half of what it should be.

browns me a little that I spent 900+ marks of valor on a useless sword for my merc.