Prison Server Mega Thread

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Daybreak has to impose regulations for what software could do and not what the user would do.
  2. Elvenphox Lorekeeper

Recent communications from DPG would suggest otherwise. They've gone out of their way to say they cannot endorse any particular 3rd party tool as allowable because there's no way to guarantee future versions of the tool would have the same functionality. Using the same logic, they won't take action against users of specific software because they have no way of knowing what that specific version can or cannot do. Specific behaviors are what they detect and sometimes take action against.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Daybreak sets forth clear criteria:
    It is open-ended because new mods can be created and previously benign software can turn nefarious.

The application of the rules falls towards enforcement against advantages.
  4. Elvenphox Lorekeeper

I agree with you regarding the rules. My point is that there's no practical enforcement mechanism other than detection by behavior. There are many "flavors" of 3rd party tools, all of which have different abilities. Much easier to run a script looking for obvious patterns.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

No, this is like someone makes a private park on their land, and allows people to come hunt and fish for a fee, but sets rules for behavior like no alcohol or littering, and starts banning those people from using their services, and then those people start whining on the internet about how unfair it is and how they should be able to do whatever they want on someone else's property because they are paying customers.
  6. Elvenphox Lorekeeper

Management, having been approached by customers who are looking for a place to party, then considers dedicating a portion of the park to these types of customers. For the added inconvenience of cleaning up litter, they charge a higher rate... say 6x per person?
    Vumad, Bardy McFly and Nennius like this.
  7. Go Take A Nap Augur

Fun take, but not exactly. Previously they did not care if you drank on their property, they never said you couldnt drink. The guy up front said dont throw a party in one area for to long and dont get so drunk you pass out in the field. As long as you were not causing trouble or doing hard drugs no one would bother you. You noticed anytime someone showed their brand or talked about drinking they were removed from the park.

Old men would always stare with a shamed look on their face and point at a rusty sign depicting a crossed out bottle when they seen you drinking from your water bottle filed with alcohol. They knew what you were up to. It didnt matter if you werent causing problems in the park. They didnt want you drinking here! Park goers learned to avoid them and keep their mouth shut. It wasnt worth it and you were coming there to have a good time after a hard days work.
    MacDubh likes this.
  8. Go Take A Nap Augur

So this thread is trashed. Anyone want to discuss politics or something? [sarcasm]
    If we cant stay on topic and let Benito rest tonight with assurance that his ideas are being heard we might see another post tomorrow about the same thing.
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The thread is fine. Intentionally derailing a thread is against forum rules.
    MooseUhLeany likes this.
  10. Go Take A Nap Augur

I think everyone here is following by example and continuing the rapidly changing conversations that you keep starting.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

As the original poster, I am fine with some changes in the conversation. From my perspective, it is better to be lenient than try to pick-and-choose (ad hoc, arbitrarily target with double standards) what is unacceptable and acceptable. Everyone has a right to be on the forums (within forum rules) and only the moderator can make judgment calls.

If you want to start your own thread about politics, you are free to do so. Though it would run afoul of these rules:
    If you do not like this thread, you are free to ignore it.
  12. Go Take A Nap Augur

There, i fixed it for you.
  13. Go Take A Nap Augur

Prison servers suck and its a self fulfilling idea that needs more thought. I already gave you a solution to your problem. You just dont like it. Ask for a true box live server that has free transfers, you might get enough players to start it but i fear it will be the same as the pvp server people( me being one of them). You dont have enough interest atm.
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

We are discussing botters (automation - full and partial) and not boxers (Alt+Tab, key broadcasting) being sent to the prison server.

You are entitled to your opinion.
  15. Go Take A Nap Augur

How would you distinguish the two, if they didnt willingly go, and would you forcefully take them there otherwise?
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Daybreak's current detection methods. Please refer to Post #3 for details.
  17. Go Take A Nap Augur

What is the difference between partial automation and key broadcasting? How can you guarantee those two are not being confused further? How can you tell if someone is using any of these things? Would you mistake a "good boxer" for someone who is partially automated or boxing via key broadcasting?

Logically this is the same problems EQ devs are faced with atm. Its fun to come up with ideas but i think this prison server idea is misguided by your own agenda to free yourself of modern technology that has invaded modern games. Im sure the Devs will come up with a good solution, i just hope you are as open to participating in solutions offered to you as you are scooping everyone up and moving them out of your way.
  18. Herf Augur

Sooo many possibilities to talk about when discussing a "prison" server. Forget the stats, note the image.

[IMG]
    Benito likes this.
  19. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Is that like FV? i actually like fv though but if you dont like the server and are on it cant get off lol.
    Benito likes this.
  20. Burdi Augur

Since about half of the current players are using third party, it could be quite popular.
    I don’t see any reason why the service should be watered down, unless it is free.