Please adjust xp on phinni and any future TLPs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Bossboy, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bossboy New Member

I really want to come back but the xp is just so gosh darn slow. :( Seems like the population isn't the same as what it used to be either.

Isn't it about time xp becomes more on par with what lockjaw and ragefire were?

I'm not trolling I played up to 60 on Ragefire but quit phini due to school because the grind was just too much.

Thanks a bunches Dev team

<3
  2. Vonsid Journeyman

I'm ready to bet that XP will be much faster on future progression servers. 90% of the current TLP playerbase is probably playing on Phini right now, and who in their right mind would leave a character so laboriously levelled to start all over again on a new server with the same crappy XP. I suspect that's even the reason they made Phiny xp so horrible to begin with, to have a sale argument for future prog servers (and for XP potions sales ofc).
  3. Taemek Lorekeeper

Wasn't Phinni designed specifically for the people who wanted that old school feel back?

Why not stay on Ragefire if thats the type of ruleset you enjoy? Why enforce other servers rulesets on to others that were never specifically designed for that purpose?

I love Phinni's XP speed, I think its perfect. Its good enough that there is groups going in a lot of areas of the game that you would of likely never seen or been too on Ragefire.
    Tallor likes this.
  4. vardune Augur

please, dont touch the exp rate. leave it as is.
    Tallor likes this.
  5. Strawberry Augur

A more casual true box TLP like phinni but with more reasonable XP, PoP newbee armor quests from the start, lvl 59 rez for shaman and druids in the game, launch with Velious, no krono, etc.

Leave phinni for the hardcore players, they clearly don't want any XP change. Phinni is not for casuals and people with responsabilities (job / family), it is impossible for people like that to keep up with the current XP rate and krono / PL drama.
    Tallor likes this.
  6. Tyche Elder

Phinny is designed to make money not give a classic feel. They made a server with instanced raids so everyone can kill them but made the time frame 3 months before the next shiny loot appears. Then they made the xp so slow that for lots of people they'd have no way to level high enough to do the raids without buying potions. RF/LJ should have slow exp instead and Phinny should have been the fast xp server.
  7. Nolrog Augur

That is completely false. Phini was a great casual server. There were groups all over and lots of people helping others. There is nothing wrong with the XP rate and the Krono are completely irrelevant (you can completely avoid krono if you choose to.)

Right now, Phini is suffering what every other server is, summer doldrums, waiting for the next expansion, kids out of school and the creation of Quarm, which all has had an impact on the population.
  8. Kushiel New Member

I wonder what would happen if they launched a new TLP server with Luclin launch (That also started in Luclin)...100% clone of Phinny but with RF/LJ EXP levels.

I wonder...
  9. Strawberry Augur

Oh here we go.....according to you, there is nothing wrong with having horrible XP, even more horrible solo XP, long travel times, massive item price inflation due to krono farmers.......casuals love those things...especially on 3 months release....casuals love falling behind and feeling like they're getting nowhere

just pretend all those people complaining about XP don't exist

pretend that SoE didn't have to make travel easier with PoP, implement 30 min. monster missions for casuals so they can have a life

just pretend people's lives didn't change since 1999 and people have no responsibilities and everyone leaving the server went to Quarm and everyone is just on a 'temporary phinni break'

[IMG]

No denial boy, the population drop is simply people leaving phinni. It's not because they are taking kids to school or because of quarm, or because they are playing pokemon go.

The simple fact is that most casuals have a certain range in which they would like to progress in a game and how much time they can spend in a game...long travel time, horrible xp, and inflated gear prices...are not compatible with a casual gameplay.

Phinni works as a hardcore server, it does not in any shape or form make a good server for casuals.
  10. Taemek Lorekeeper

You have proof of any of what you say? The server took a massive *noticeable* dip in population over night the day Quarm was released, you talk about denial?
    Tallor likes this.
  11. Hateseeker Augur

Speaking only as to future TLP; I just don't think I could handle ever starting with Classic again, but if I did, it would need to be at least slightly faster than RF/LJ experience and 3 months unlock maximum.

Preferably, though, RF/LJ would stay populated through expansions like DoN - that way I'd not even have to consider other TLP for a while.

What would be absolutely infuriating is if Daybreak were to launch a new server that has some benefit I prefer, like all-tradeable gear, forcing me to start completely over. Even worse would be if it had such a benefit but a huge detriment like true box coding. Hm...isn't that what happened to people who went to Phinigel?
  12. Nolrog Augur

OK, here we go . . . . according to you, the server XP is so horrible it's causing the olympic pool to be green.

What does long travel times have to do with the XP rate? And Krono farmers don't impact you if you don't let them. Igore them.

There is a population drop, that is true. But the fact of the matter is that it's caused by people being max level and raided things a dozen or more times already, they have nothing left to do and they left to do until Luclin comes out.

It's the summer time, when we always experience a population drop. Always.

And the launch of Quarm gave those people who were max level something else to do while waiting for more XP to gain, so they headed out to do it. Talk about denial. . . .

Phini works as a great casual server. There were tons of groups all over the play, lots of great people to play with and the fact that everything is instanced meant that even casuals had the chance to go after those raid targets; one guild couldn't lock everything down and prevent others from seeing the content and progressing.
    Tallor likes this.
  13. Lyrial Journeyman

I came over to Phinny for that classic, hardcore, feeling of EQ and have loved every minute of the game play on Phinny. I have a number of characters above 50 and, to date, the XP rate hasn't really been an issue for me personally. The fun of the server has been the leisurely stroll through classic content and returning to a style of play that has been all but lost on every other server. That stroll, by the way, is still faster than the classic XP rate of classic EQ circa 2001.

According to EQ Resources, Phinigal is the most populous server on the EQ network. I'm not sure where everyone is getting the idea of a population drop on the server from - but the stats don't quite show that at this point (certainly not in comparison to other servers). I'm guessing it's that a couple of the big guilds are playing Quarm from time to time simply because they have already farmed the end content of Velious to an insufferable level? If anything, Phinny has a feeling of growth at the moment that is unprecedented anywhere else. Quarm is struggling to gain traction while Lockjaw and Ragefire are effectively Ghost Towns. Personally, I tend to think that Daybreak got it right with Phinny and players have have been clinging to it as a breath of fresh air in a 16 year old game that lost its way in its most recent expansion. Really, EQ lost its way through a number of significant player exoduses that forced boxing and less player-to-player interactions. Mercs were intended to be an answer of sorts but without the ability to raid with them, the game forced guilds to multibox to stay viable. Many of us left live in search of what Phinny has provided and until PoP, I think the server is probably going to remain very healthy.

Yes, I do think that Phinny will certainly have a moment like all other servers in EQ where players start to leave en masse. At that point, I would hope Daybreak will be prepared with some key strategies in place to revitalise the server. Normalising XP at that point might be viable option by way of enticements for players on other servers to join. Just not sure we're quite at that stage yet.
    Tallor likes this.
  14. Kutsuu Augur

Phinigel is perfectly suitable to casuals - just like classic EQ was suitable to casuals. The problem is expectations. If you're a casual player and you're expecting to be 60 and raiding endgame in 1 month, then you've set your expectations incorrectly for Phinigel.

I was a casual back in classic days, and I never hit the level cap in-era until LDoN when I finally hit 65. I joined some pickup raids for Naggy/Vox/Kael/Hate/Fear and the like, but never saw VP, ToV, or ST. I was happy to group and get good xp when I had time, and to hang out in EC (or baz later on) when I didn't have time.

These days, people think "casual friendly" means that a casual player can do bleeding edge endgame content with the people who have a ton of time to commit, but that's not what it means in EQ. You can play casually and do casual things in the game or you can play hardcore and do hardcore things in the game. It caters to both audiences.

TLDR: If you are expecting to do hardcore things with casual playtime, fix your expectations.
    Tallor, Lithien and Polekn like this.
  15. Your_Ad_Here Augur

Oh ... this again ....

*gives stick to beat the dead horse with*
  16. Strawberry Augur

Travel times are only indirectly related to XP. The longer you need to travel the less XP you make.

However!....travel times affect how accessible a server is to a casual player.

There is a reason EQ implemented OMM (Old Man McKenzie) missions and there is a reason why they were super successful. They had non-existing travel time, they lasted for 15 minutes / mission, and they gave people reasonable XP for it (less than what you would get in a good group, but reasonable).

When one has about an hour or 30 minutes to play, they do not want to waste that running accross a continent. Long travel times do not make a game more accessible, it makes it less accessible.

There is nothing really you can do about this on a TLP but wait for PoP, but my point still stands that this can be offputting to casual players, especially when compounded with slow XP.
    Tallor likes this.
  17. Strawberry Augur

Classic was never perfectly suitable for casuals. You had corpse runs, long travel, simply tons of timesinks. EQ only became accessible to casuals in PoP and beyond.

Casuals, under my definition, are people who can play for 30 minutes - 2 hours in a single session and not longer. These people have a job / family / responsability.

That doesn't flow well with long travel times and corpse runs. That's why we have fast PoP travel, that's why we eliminated corpse runs, that's why we have OOC regen, that's why we have lots of things in EQ that did make the game accessible to casuals.

I do think TLC can work well for casuals, on the condition progression towards PoP and beyond is smooth and fast enough that they don't actually leave midway. But by the time a TLC server arrives at PoP, populaton has usually been decimated, this will (is?) be the case on Phinni because they made character progression slow.
  18. Kahna Augur

Thing is, back in the day EQ was the only choice. Now there are more choices than you can shake a stick at, and many of them willing to cater to casuals who want to see the endgame. Expectations of games has changed, EQ isn't keeping up. Why bother playing on the instanced raid server if you can never get high enough level to raid.

Increase exp, don't increase it. I've canceled my subscriptions, and I don't plan on coming back. I dislike the amount of time it takes to accomplish anything in the game. I enjoy other hobbies as well as gaming, and this game doesn't afford me that option. It's fine, there are other games out there that do. I will miss the people I met along the way, but I'm sure I will meet others.

And before someone asks why I am sticking around if I already decided to leave. I check the forums periodically, I like to keep up to date on what is going on, in case they make changes that will make the game more suitable, or interesting. Crazy, I know, keeping tabs on a game you once enjoyed playing to see how it changes.
    Kraznor and Terranos like this.
  19. Kutsuu Augur

You hit the nail on the head saying there are more choices than you can count for the ez-mode experience.

Part of the nostalgia for many of us is that nothing came easy and that getting max level took a whole lot of time and adventures to reach.
    Tallor likes this.
  20. Terranos Elder

Dunno about these "inflated prices" that people are banging on about, lots of Velks and Seb loot going dirt cheap these days due to being farmed 24/7 in multiple picks by normal people. Easy to gear up a main char or a twink with decent gear, yeah if you want the top end BiS for non raider gear you will need to spend more, but that's the way it's always been.

The xp on the other hand I agree will be an issue at some point. I'd like to see them make it easier to catch up in levels/AA's. People that have the time to grind might think it's not needed but there is still a trickle of new people coming to the server, if they feel it's too much effort to catch up.they won't bother. Having enough new people coming and leveling up to replace those that burn out is important to guilds that don't want to have to merge down the road.

I'd like to see the server stay healthy till at least OoW but I'm not so sure it can with current xp rates. How AA xp is handled could make or break the server.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.