Need before greed?!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by HoodenShuklak, May 23, 2017.

1. Jarith Lorekeeper

My general thought is I'm there to gain XP, not waste time on drama. I'm fine with either loot option and ask when I join a group so I know ahead of time what's up. Any loot I do get is a welcome surprise but I don't expect to walk away with anything but XP.

When I form a group I do the same thing and I only bother to invite the minimum number of people to support the mobs available. Ideally I want other people who are XP-oriented as they tend to be more committed to gaining said XP as opposed to arguing over loot.

If I want some group piece of loot then I'll head back there solo or with friends/guild members and either not invite anyone or else allow them under the condition that loot X is spoken for.
    Ishbu likes this.
  2. Green_Mage Augur

NBG isn't inherently "fair" in a kind of economic (or pixil) justice standpoint. A lot of you seem confused on that fact here. Just because a Warrior is going to use the FBSS -- doesn't make it fair that he gets over the 3 casters in the group.

What if the casters had been there 3 days worth of time longer than the Warrior? What if the Warrior already got 4 other items he "needed"? Do I have to start keeping track of which class needs what now so I know who not to invite?

There's always going to be randomness with loot luck. But I think people just rolling on everything in PuGs tends to balance it out a lot better than NBG.

NBG is what guilds and friends are for.
    superman likes this.
  3. TruthofEQ Elder

Well here is something I've actually discussed with friends and groupies. Being at a certain camp and being unlucky for 3 days doesn't really mean much to the people you are grouping with that day and moment. That Warrior could of been camping another important piece of gear for a week before that and been just as unlucky, who knows.

Fairness is completely subjective, and if you think it's fair for anyone to roll on anything that's droppable, that's totally fine. If you are in my group that I'm leading, we will do NBG mostly, just a common thing in the EQ community that I enjoy :)

The most fair thing is to get someone in the group to sell each item and split the cash, but that's not really a possibility in all groups.
  4. yerm Augur

There is absolutely nothing "fair" about telling a member of the group that they do not get the same level of access to rewards as a different member of the group. A good loot system is allowing that person an equal chance at the loot, and if you want it, ask if you can have it or barter for it from them, not taking away their agency.

NBG advocates: do you write down who was present when you got a big ticket item awarded to you, so that you can give them their equal share of the profits in the future when you upgrade it? No? Then what you are doing is selfish.
  5. Cendien New Member

NBG was actually pretty standard and non-NBG was the exception. Community is small. If you lied about it, people found out and you got blacklisted from groups.

And being blacklisted by the larger community was not worth any amount of plat. I played a caster and never rolled on any FBSS. I was just happy to get a group and get some xp. Most people were the same.
  6. Nefarr Journeyman

NBG is fictitious. If an item drops that is wroth $5k, everyone "needs" that $5k plat. The form the item is in is irrelevant. It can be used or sold, either way it's "needed" by everyone. NBG is actually incredibly unfair. If a warrior is at frenzy for 2 hours and a mage for 10. Frenzy drops sash, warrior gets it? Completely unbalanced.
  7. Ishbu Augur

That mage should have 10 hours of xp, coin, and random vendor drops and will have made plenty of plat. If they dont need xp, its dumb to be camping Frenzy as a mage, and they should go solo hill giants or something if cash is the goal.

I play a mage.
    Jarith and Daia Spiritlight like this.
  8. Ishbu Augur

Obviously in 2017 it is green always greed. It has to be or you will be screwed over by everyone else. Its sad, but true.

Back in true classic, I dont ever remember doing greed before need to be honest. The idea still seems silly to me. I tried to get pickup groups that were camping the mobs I wanted items from and waited until I won the /roll vs whomever else would need it. Eventually you end up only playing with friends and guildies anyways.
    Daia Spiritlight likes this.
  9. Daia Spiritlight New Member

NBG was the default and expectation for many, many years, for guild groups, friend groups, and PUGs. The only exception was guild raids where each guild had its own systems, such as DKP. Not sure when it changed but I agree with Strawberry - I'd bail on a group where everything was greed until at least a level where it was a certainty that everyone's gear was maxed out. And I'm a cleric who was when previously active did not have any trouble finding a group.
  10. yerm Augur

This is selfish and demeaning to the mage.
  11. Canofpepsi Lorekeeper

aye if a camp like frenzie was NBG, GL finding a healer to heal you : )
    and GL burning frenzie down with all melee aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaa
  12. Green_Mage Augur

That's been my experience. No one wants to do the sash camp for someone else.
  13. HoodenShuklak Augur

After so much nerfing maybe mages are developing battered wife syndrome or something...
  14. AgentofChange Augur

Don't worry they can have all the moonstone rings. Fair trade right? ;)
  15. Nolrog Augur

Typically, I will only do NBG with a guild group or group of friends that I play with all the time. Otherwise, I think greed is best (though I wouldn't turn down an NBG group because if it, as long as they specify in the beginning, I'm fine.)
  16. Alexanders Augur

Need before greed sounds great and works great especially in groups with real life friends or guild mates. However, the nature of EQ1 drops means that some classes would have no reason to stay at camps that don't drop items for their class. There are lots of camps in EQ that have no drops for a Tank or Cleric, but you still need classes like that to keep those camps gaining EXP goes only so far towards keeping people at a camp, once you reach EXP caps you have to give more thought to NBG since it will only work with friends in that case who are willing to help you get an item.

Once you get to higher end drops in places like Lower Guk and Sol B. You will find that people argue that they all "Need" that rare drop, even if they can't use it they can sell it and buy that rare sword or helmet they haven't been able to get yet.

I wish everyone would be less selfish and just do NBG but I think at higher levels in particular and right at server start you will find people are less willing to do that. I hope you have better luck with it than I have on past TLP servers but in pickup groups, you will find NBG is a nice concept that doesn't work later on.
  17. TLP Addict Augur

NBG is nice in theory and I agree with the principle, however the reality is that TLP servers are riddled with greedy dishonest that will cry need, then after winning the item sell it in the EC tunnel and then go back to the camp with some other group and do it again.

There's really no reliable way with PUGs to tell if they have already won that item previously and sold it. Most of us that have been on a TLP for more than 5 minutes knows that this isn't a rare practice.
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

I've just been saying (for the very few places with loot worth anything) that loot is all greed, and once you win something worth more than 20plat you just wait until each other member gets their shot.

I had something nice drop earlier that I could use, but it didn't seem right to say only need classes can roll... I mean, wtf nothing in that camp drops stuff most folks need.