Need before greed?!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by HoodenShuklak, May 23, 2017.

1. Phrovo1 Augur

people who do "need" on gems to sell (diamonds) give me cancer, people who aren't clerics/chanters/whoever else don't use them for spells and do need on peridots and the like give me aids
  2. Galleyan Augur

I didn't really read the responses... but the common TLP tactic in my experience is this...

"I *NEED* plat/kronos, therefore, I *NEED* everything."

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it is what it is. Don't ever click greed on a cash item.
    DariyaVika likes this.
  3. DariyaVika Augur

Just need on all cash items and save yourself the anger.

If I'm in a group of people I've grouped with a couple of times before, I might roll need along with everyone else and then give the warrior or monk the fbss that I just won, but I stayed poor for a very long time in classic EQ by always yielding to strangers with needs.

I always loved the justification some people had back in the day. Casters weren't supposed to roll on melee gear, because they couldn't use it, but melees would roll on caster gear, because they needed money to upgrade their gear.
  4. ECrack Augur

*Flies in!* Captain Here!

Here is how you should approach this on an EQ TLP server. One of two ways, as you're forming the group *if you're the one forming it* let people know how you are going to conduct the items. For instance, EVERYONE will need plat because plat buys gear. So technically everything can be needed. Some groups will say "hey we all know FBSS drops at this camp, everyone here is helping to obtain it, everyone here can roll need on it, yes even wizards" and noobs will say "But why, they don't need the attack speed" and the veteran wizard will say "I'm sitting in this camp camping it for 6 hours just like you are, and i need gear to. If I get this i can easily sell it in EC tunnel and get a nice item or a bunch of nice items that I need."

OR the more common way is the one most people are used to and that is, let the monk roll need on it because he actually needs it as an upgrade.

You WILL run into both types. You also may run into the third type where its a group of friends and they just let you join so you can get better exp then some random pub group, you'll be grateful because of how well coordinated and quickly the murder mobs so when FBSS drops, the leader just gifts it to his rogue homie cause when you joined and said "how are we doing loot" they're going to say "we're camping it for mcstabzz so if it drops its his" and you'll say "ok" but die a little in your soul because you're a monk.

In conclusion, join a guild. A lot of times the... we'll call them "more capable" players, or at least ones with more time. Will obtain these camps and keep them in the guild and rotate in members to help gear the guild for raids. So there is that as well.

*Flies out!*
    Jarith likes this.
  5. Bewts Augur

Selecting Need is greeding on every item.

You're not wrong to select need if you are trying to enforce greed in a group.
  6. Sdoofbuc Augur

Need before greed works well.

If you need an item; you are going to put it on right now, roll need.

If you are going to sell it or give it away, roll greed.

I can't even remember the last time I was in a group that didn't do it this way.
  7. Lankie Augur

In 17 years I have not once been in a NBG group, nor heard anyone suggest it, because it's not logical.

Ignore the greed button.

Need = you want it
    Greed = pass

NBG is for greedy people that want to scam free loot.
    yerm and DariyaVika like this.
  8. taliefer Augur

Symbol line of buffs no longer use reagents, and rune is far from needed in the group game, even with charm pets.
  9. Strawberry Augur

Need before Greed originates from EQ and this is the first time you hear the term in 17 years? Are you joking?

Seems to be me like that person who said he didn't like the advanced loot window is right. It allows for abuse.

I don't know where some of you people come from that you think everything is just up for grabs. P99? But in EQ people give loot to people who need it first, only then is it greeded, only if no one can use it and it isn't an upgrade to anyone, it is basic decency. It's basic decency in real life, not just in games, you don't take stuff from people who have less than you.

If I see someone greeding armor / weapons / spells over someone who needs it, you better believe I'll call you out on it and give you a swift kick out of the group if you refuse to give it to the person who needs it.
  10. DariyaVika Augur

This attitude ceases to function in Kunark when almost every item of real value that drops is a melee item of some kind.

"Sure guys, I'll heal the group and bring my wizard to dps for you as well, but you can keep all the items I might be able to sell to obtain gear for myself. No problem, I'm just here to help you, not the other way around."
  11. Carns Lorekeeper

Some people have watched a lot of High School Musical. "We're all in this together!"

Other people have watched High School Musical 3. We aren't in this together, and we never were. We were just in forced proximity for a while.
  12. Lankie Augur

Not sure what part of my post confused you, but I am talking about EQ (EverQuest). Not once have I been in a NBG group. If anyone tries to scam the group by trying to enforce NBG, they will be kicked and placed on ignore.

The /random function is perfect for tradable loot in groups where you likely wont group with that person again. It gives an equal chance to everyone to gear up their characters. NBG is for scammers and greedy people.

Forget the terms "Need" and "Greed" as they are pointless. Basically N = roll, G = pass.

It should be changed to R and P, not N and G.
  13. AgentofChange Augur

This is why people 6-box, because people can't play nice with each other.
  14. Strawberry Augur

Then you never played EQ. Giving items to people for whom it's an upgrade, instead of loot whoring everything, has been the standard since the start of EQ.

Don't pretend this is some new concept, need before greed originates from EQ. It's an unwritten rule in EQ, it's common decency to pass if the armor / weapon / spell is an upgrade for a person in the group.

If someone says the item would be an upgrade for them, you pass, if you don't, you're not going to make many friends in EQ.
  15. Carns Lorekeeper

Strawberry has to be trolling. Yes, it existed twenty years ago, but NO ONE could be that naive today.
  16. Lankie Augur

I played EQ since day 1 and never played in a group with NBG. If anyone wants to try take an upgrade, they will be kicked and placed on ignore.
  17. Strawberry Augur

20 years ago EQ didn't exist. Passing for a person who needs the item is common decency and most people expect you to adhere to that, you pass for the person for whom the item is a clear upgrade.

If that isn't how you play, then announce that before you join groups, or you're not going to make many friends in the game.

Many players will not appreciate you needing on items you don't actually need.
  18. Galleyan Augur

In 1999, need before greed totally existed in normal PUGs. The entire concept is the reason "ninja-looting" was a thing in EQ, and the entire reason that would ruin reputations.

The term has evolved from, "Will use, therefore I will roll" to "Will use or sell in order to get things I can use, therefore I will roll." Neither is right or wrong. It's just a change in mentality that has arisen over the past 18+ years.

If you want the "old definition" -- you need to be in a static group of friends or grouping with guild mates only. There is probably *NO* PUG in existence today that will allow you to go with the original definition.
  19. Strawberry Augur

My guess is that due to the influx of p99 players, the fact most loot on TLP is droppable, the fact the advanced loot window allows you to get away with it unnoticed ...somehow makes some people argue that loot whoring is now ok.

Need before greed is very much ingrained in every non-TLP server, you do not loot stuff if someone else can actually use it, you would get a horrible reputation if you did. If need before greed wasn't part of EQ, there would be no need button in the loot window.

TLP are fluid servers, with lots of new players not used to EQ or maybe forgetting how EQ works, but this idea that "need before greed" doesn't even exist, is just ridiculous. EQ coined the term afaik, it is still used in every other MMO since.

TLP servers have become way too focused on me me me, only thing that seems to matter is how much ahead you can get over someone else.
  20. Deadshade Augur

There are people with the mindset "I am entitled to everything just because I am here" and there are people with the mindset "Those who will get upgraded by an item have priority ."

And it is the GL who decides .
    In my groups it is ALWAYS NBG and if a member doesn't like it he leaves on the spot .
    This from somebody who plays an enchanter but has no problem to let the FBSS or SSoY to a melee for whom it is an upgrade . I can't remember a case where I would have a difficulty to enforce this .

And of course, symetrically, even when a Sebilis group needs desperately an enchanter and asks me to join yet enforces NBG, I have no problem with it either .
    However being jewelcrafter, I always ask to either roll need on gems or to be able to buy them off for a discounted price .