Need before greed?!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by HoodenShuklak, May 23, 2017.

1. HoodenShuklak Augur

I was reading some threads doing "research" (can you call it that for a game?) and came across a couple instances where people were (shockingly) talking about being in NBG groups in camps like FBSS, SMR, etc. Obviously that is the best way for a greedy person to be greedy under the guise of need... but my main question is: Is NBG in pickup groups common?

On p99 it is (or should be to most people) always greed... I'm ok with that as the idea that everyone needs plat is legitimate. I was surprised to hear people would be NBG'ing in a pickup on TLP's...
  2. yerm Augur

NBG is the worst.
  3. Trevalon Augur

It kind of depends. If you in a guild group or group of people you have leveled with a lot it can be NBG, but I found that most PUGS are going to do Greed only, though most have the rule that you can only win 1 of the "uber" item until everyone has one.

Don't expect randoms to NBG anything in Efreeti, Arch Mage, or Frenzy...and truth be told you shouldn't expect it. We all need gear and wining an FBSS as a caster just means I can trade it for an SMR or something else.
  4. windbearer Lorekeeper

I doubt you will see any NBG in camps like Frenzie unless it's friends or a guild. PUGs never did that back in the day to my knowledge: There would be a list and when the next up gets the item they'd leave and a new person would be added, etc.
  5. taliefer Augur

almost every pug i did back in the day was NBG, and the same was true on Phinny.

there were groups that did it differently, as long as it was made clear how the group was doing loot most people didnt care one way or the other
    Aaoogaa, Funktions, Rouan and 2 others like this.
  6. TruthofEQ Elder

Yeah I agree with Taliefer, I have been in a ton of NBG groups back in the day, on p99, on Vulak and on Phinny. (Didn't group much on Rage/LJ, haha). I think it really matters how old the server is in general. Obviously Guild groups and friends generally do NBG, but in a game like EQ it won't take long before group members are on your friends list, so it's natural that early on, when there are little to no twinks, people do NBG.

There is an argument to be made for, we all need plat and items, so lets just roll for it and whoever wins will get an upgrade anyways. I'm not a huge fan of this, as when it's a true upgrade for a group member, why not give it to them and help the group out in general. Of course there is always the fear that a monk is farming FBSS, gets it and then leaves group, but that could happen to whoever won the item anyways.

NBG 4 life!
  7. Bewts Augur

Good luck getting a healer to stick around camping FBSS/SSOY if you enforce NBG with strangers.

A guild or group of friends, sure NBG. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

In a pickup group of strangers? What incentive does a max level cleric have where they can only take plat splits while you're looting items worth krono?
  8. Tachyon Augur

I prefer greed in pick up groups. A good 70-80% of my play time is going to be guild groups or raids and that is where I'll get a good 70-80% of my loot. Share the wealth in pick up groups! They are about meeting new people, getting xp and maybe getting lucky on a roll.

If I'm in a good pickup group for a few hours getting xp I don't really care how many rolls I lose. I'm looking for xp. Everything else is gravy.
  9. TruthofEQ Elder

Well first off, if you really want to have this conversation, you are assuming this cleric is a max level. And I'm assuming he has moonstone rings and any of the loot he could get from those camps... Also, a group of strangers? How often is that in EQ? And how long do they stay strangers, 3 hours at FBSS and I've made a few friends easily.

I see it a bit differently in reality. If you are a 50 level cleric LFG and you dont have friends to group with, there is most likely a problem. Haha I mained a cleric for most of my EQ career and all you have to do is send a few messages to a few friends and they want you in there group...

In your crazy scenario you may be slightly right, this max level cleric probably doesn't need any of the loot from the camps and is just farming cash, but of course a full group is a really bad idea to do that for FBSS... a 50 cleric can pretty much solo that camp...

I see it more like you are level 1-49, in a group and still need all types of gear. As a healer, I"m super happy to get a moonstone ring if I dont have one. Focus item, mana, and a little str. It will probably replace some wisdom or HP ring. I might stay around till I get two! If we get a FBSS and the monk/war or whatever gets one, great for him. We may even become friends and group again!
  10. taliefer Augur

i have never had an issue filling a pug doing NBG. shrug. yes, sometimes a max level cleric/tank/whatever wont join, but you just grab someone else.

i dont have an issue with people, especially at max level, that want to do loot differently.
  11. TruthofEQ Elder

Exactly!

I really like you Taliefer! hah
  12. Kanuvan Elder

for the first time in my carerr of MMO's i will be needing on all, im not taking any more chances on greedy people, only greed in statics
  13. eqzekisdead Augur

I started out with the NBG mindset until I grouped with AoS a few times. That is when I learned everything is all greed. Too people many will lie about need on spells and armor. I have also seen them give finesteel weaps and gems to themselves when they are loot leaders, so that is something you will always have to pay attention to.
  14. Tachyon Augur

The bottom line is play nice and it will come around. I don't need anything in this game other than a fun evening. Loot will come in time!
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

Well, it's good to hear that most are on board with all greed.

Personally, I am going to do all greed just because it is the most straightforward. I would have no problem giving items that are vendor fodder, but I mean, all-greed simply eliminates any funny business right off the bat. Plus it's random so you can expect things to be pretty much even over the course of things.

Something I've also done before is when someone is camping XYZ then they basically "pre buy" it from the group. No rolls -- the person wins it by default and then each groupmember gets their "cut" from the winner at a fair price. It works well cause literally everyone wins.
  16. Trevalon Augur

And by All greed, you mean everyone should need. Cause I 100% guarantee in a pickup group at least 1 dude in the group is going to need. Don't ever put any good items on "Greed" unless your with a group of friends/guildees IMO

Pretty much all classic/kunark items are droppable so even if you need and others greed and you win you can still be "cool" about it and let them roll it off.
  17. Eaglestiker Journeyman

To me this is exactly what is wrong with current MMOs everyone is so worried about what do I get and not helping out the next guy who will then help you and the chain goes on. Way back in 1999 when I played you got into a group and put in the rotation to get the item you were after. You waited your turn then ONLY left if a replacement was coming that was after the item to. You stuck around and helped the next team.
    There was no advanced looting system it was the honor system. When someone did steal loot their name got around and they would have a hard time getting groups unless it was with specific people they may of known or a guildmate.
    Cendien likes this.
  18. Rauven Augur

The loot rules are whatever the group leader decides.

If you join a group expecting everyone to greed on CB Belts and the leader or others Need on them. Don't throw a fuss. Either find another group, or click the AN/ND button for the duration of said group.

We don't need loot drama on trivial drops in a 20 year old game. Any discussion beyond the bolded part above just leads to trolling, drama, and anguish. Just discuss the terms with your group leaders and everything will be fine. No misunderstandings, no unfairness, and no drama.

Lets keep it civil on this aspect for this one server launch.
    Daia Spiritlight likes this.
  19. Rakete Lorekeeper

NBG (exception: No Drop items) especially in early EQ doesn't make a lot of sense.

Most camps don't drop equal stuff for different classes. Take the frenzied ghoul for example - strong melee item (FBSS), but caster item. If you try to do that camp with NBG, have fun in your group of monks and rogues.

At least till Luclin, most really good items are tradable. You will be able to buy the stuff you want and you can basically do any camp you want to do to get the cash to do so.
  20. Strawberry Augur

If a group doesn't do need before greed, I would just bail on the group.

I didn't know groups that took loot purely for greed OVER someone in the group who needed it were even a thing.

Checking if people need loot first has always been the unspoken rule for as long as I can remember.

It's basic decency.