Monk Burns at 110?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by HeatherPurrs, Jan 10, 2018.

1. HeatherPurrs Augur

When I get the chance I'll post mine, I'm not able to load EQ at work.
    Burst. (30 seconds) Mid duration (up to one minute) Long duration. (3 minutes or longer)

Who's doing what and when?
  2. Skalde Elder

Heel if you have a beastlord for DF/RF, Speedfocus if not(maybe heels still better with bards QT idk), followed by either Terrorpalm or Ironfist after those 2 if they're up and then eye of the storm.
  3. Monkman Augur

4. HeatherPurrs Augur

I appreciate the attempts. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing, testing and parsing. The old thread linked really doesn't address damage as burst, mid and long duration it just lists burn discs and what timers would work with what and the usual. I get it, no one really does play the Monk and when there is a monk in your bot group it's pretty much just ignored. I mean seriously, the issues with purify and FD still haven't been addressed. As it is currently, Purify doesn't perform as described and FD doesn't always drop aggro in combat.

There's Swift Tails Chant that no one addresses and the aa "consolidation" isn't addressed nor are things like new clickies and TotCF, Firewalker's and Firestorm especially since the description doesn't acknowledge Rk. II, but Tiger's does address Rk. II...

It's OK, I'll sort my burns out and you can wait on your "leadership" to get around to addressing their bots in a few months.
  5. Thrillho Augur

Well, I think HeatherPurrs put me on ignore a little while back, so maybe this response isn't for her, but just a response in general to anyone who might want to have a discussion about this stuff.

Personally, I have three categories for DPS, but they're different than the ones noted above - Sustained, Burst, and Kitchen Sink.

Sustained - Typically multi-mob fights, groups, raids. The link above from Monkman is a link to my thread and my more-or-less current methodology for long duration / multiple fights. Basically, weave heavy discs (long timers) with light discs (short timers) to create a higher sustained damage output. Time the heavy discs with ADPS, and use light discs when ADPS is refreshing. Pair various abilities with other appropriate abilities / discs for maximum impact. Sub in newer abilities as acquired - they're designed to work in the same manner (but there are bugs, of course).

Burst - Short duration fights (<60 seconds), and you typically sacrifice Sustained damage by using up more than you typically would. Cactiikii is a good example of a burst fight. Ideally this mob is dead within 30-45 seconds, before any shenanigans start. Named fights can be lumped in here as well. Three burst burns that I run revolve around the 3 heavy discs we have - Heel, Speed, and Terrorpalm.

Each burn typically has a ramp-up, ideally before the mob is engaged.
    - DPS: BP click, CoP click
    - Survivability: Epic click, potential heals (blood drinker's coating), silent strikes

Burn:
    - Heel + Dicho + Infusion of Thunder + Second Spire + Five Point Palm + Crane Stance
    - Speed + Dicho + IoT + 2nd + FPP + (Focused) Destructive Force + Dragon's Balance / Tiger's Poise + Crane Stance
    - Terrorpalm + Dicho + IoT + 2nd + FPP + (F)DF + DB/TP + Crane
    - (Ironfist is a good-ish disc, but only really pairs well with Crane, and isn't something I rely upon for burns)

Kitchen Sink - When something absolutely needs to die. Raid is on its last leg, named has been causing a lot of problems, some jerk has been dominating the parse and you want to just bring 'em down a peg, etc. Some of this stuff doesn't pair well together, or would pair better with something else. Similar to Burst, using a Kitchen Sink method comes at the detriment of Sustained DPS.

Whatever is up, you throw in.
    Ramp up + Disc (Heel, Speed, Terrorpalm), Dicho, IoT, 2nd, FPP, (F)DF, DB/TP, Crane, Glyph, Intensity (7th year vet)

Other stuff:

Endurance Regen - Endurance has been an issue for a while now, and our abilities are becoming more and more taxing on the yellow bar. And with the revamped Fade, we're now unable to fade off any mob that is 116 or higher (read: raid bosses). Gone are the days of ID + Breather + Attack rotations to keep above board. Endurance management is an important aspect for all monks.

Technique of the Crimson / Celestial Fist I've never been a fan of. I don't like the reduced damage. I don't like the 20 minute timer. The only time I use this hunk o' junk is when every other resource is depleted.

Hiatus - Shares the same timer as Breather, but is on a 6 (5?) minute cooldown, and brings endurance up to 35% (I think?). This is a hunk o' junk too in my opinion - I stick with Breather when I'm able to use it.

Swift Tails' Chant - I love this thing. I've made a trigger for it to let me know when it's been cast (either by myself or another monk), so I know exactly how long I have before it peters out. This is most effective during burns, so pair your burns with it. I'll typically pop it the first time when I'm around 80% endurance, and it'll get me back up to 100%. By the time it's ready to be used again (10 minute cooldown), I'll be sub-50% and it'll be useful again.

Ton Po - What a waste of code. Doesn't pair with Destructive Force. Minimal damage added, has a huge AA cost, and a MASSIVE endurance cost (18,000). The juice is not worth the squeeze on this one. With the amount of endurance it costs, and the endurance problems we already have, using this can actually be detrimental to your DPS as it would burn up endurance that could be spent on something more powerful. The only time I'll use this in its current state is when DF is down, I have a significant influx of endurance to burn up, and I know I'll not be needing it all.

FD Broken - Haven't had an issue with FD at all with RoS. Not sure what the issue is. FD doesn't drop aggro in a fight (unless you stay down). ID drops aggro, and again as stated above, the Fade ability for all (all?) classes has been changed. There will be some mobs you cannot fade off of.

Purify Body - Haven't had an issue with Purify at all with RoS either. Not sure what the issue is. Perhaps the blocker after Purify has been cast is bugged? I know some spells are going through DA, but that would be a spell not recognizing a blocker. But that would be an issue with the spell itself, not the ability.

AA Consolidation - Specifically, the removal of Stunning Kick, Eye Gouge, Crippling Strike. Lots has been said on the matter in another thread. I've been pretty vocal about it, and overall see it as a benefit. My DPS has gone up because of it, and as such a mob isn't alive as long and has less time to kill me. Adding in the attack debuff helps offset the damage that would have been stopped with Stunning Kick - albeit, I haven't parsed a comparison between the two (and it's currently impossible to do accurately anyway).

Autoskill for Flying Kick will add in the most damage for you, especially for your Heel burns. Autoskill Tiger Claw as well. If you want a bit more control, take Flying Kick off of your mash key / autoskill and use it, round kick, or whatever the other one is that procs the snare (kick?) and use at your leisure. These abilities are not as powerful as they were. They fire more often, get resisted more, and last less time. I don't know of anyone who has parsed the difference between the old and new.

Intimidation - Not much experience with the effectiveness of this yet. Ideally it would stun a mob for 10 seconds. I've added it to my mash key and have seen a lot of skill increases to it. I haven't checked on its effectiveness yet - how often it stuns, how long the stun lasts, how often it fails, etc. At the moment I see only benefits to adding it to a mash key, and there it sits. I might add Disarm to my mash as well, simply to skill it up in hopes of getting it to be useful later on.

...but I'm just a bot. Beep boop.
  6. Cicelee Augur

My monk is currently doing 45k DPS.
    Thrillho likes this.
  7. HeatherPurrs Augur

That's incredibly bad. Without burns I average 157k DPS.
    A devout adherent
    ---Zone: Crypt of Sul
    ---Start Time: 1/11/2018 5:08:33 AM
    ---Fight Length: 25s
    ---Total Attackers: 1
    ---Total HP: 3943747
    ---My DPS: 157750

Produced by GamParse v1.5.2.17
  8. monk12 Journeyman

Thanks for the write up Thrill, as someone who is trying to break into raiding for the first time, with a monk, I appreciate it.

I was also trying to look up information on necessary click items ( only seen bp & epic so far really) and all of the heros resolution or vitality achievements that I can do solo (whatever those achievements are that increases base stats). Is there anywhere these are listed that you know of?

Also, have you used first spire at all instead of second? Seems like it would be more beneficial according to the description.

I know this may be a bit of a side track.
  9. Thrillho Augur

No prob! I'm glad there's new blood coming in. Clicks, there are plenty of. I don't know of any lists though, and I certainly don't have all of the necessary ones. Off the top of my head, in no particular order, and absolutely not all-encompassing:
    • Epic
    • Current-expansion BP
    • Anguish BP (for dispel)
    • Armor clicks (permanent buffs, be sure to click them as you get them. Range for AC, back for DS, etc.)
    • Various illusions & mounts
    • Quick-port items (Eg: Drunkard's Stein for PoK port, primary and secondary anchors)
    • Potions (Haste, invis, IVU, gate)
    • Poisons (Scorpion's Bite, Scorpion's Agony (aggro))
    • Juju's Terror
    • Blood Drinker's Coating
    • Circlet of Umbra (group invis)
    • DI/DA clicks (various)
    • Horn of Unity
    • Something with Circlet of Power (up to rk. 4)
    • That Branch thing from EoK
    • Urn of Overflowing Life
    • Something with Shrink
    I haven't parsed the difference between First and Second. It's been on my list of things to do. I keep hoping someone else will do one.
  10. HeatherPurrs Augur

11. monk12 Journeyman

Great info, thanks guys. Does eagle strike still apply the atk debuff? Just wondering, I've never used eagle strike or any of the other skills. Could still be beneficial when it's just me and my sham bot.
  12. HeatherPurrs Augur

I have no idea why, but parsed data shows that the Tiger Claw attack debuff changes absolutely nothing in regard to the DPS the mob is putting out. This has been tested hundreds of times in Crypt. The attack debuff literally makes no difference.

Eagle Strike with the AA (passive) returns a lot of Endurance and often with the RoS AA. I believe it was returning something on the order of 2,400 endurance every 18 seconds on average.
  13. monk12 Journeyman

Wow, no more tiger strike for me then.
  14. Dropfast Augur

Apparently neither have you ) Their is a difference in damage between all 3 as well as what they do. As for damage, funny enough Dragon punch now does the most, Tiger claw next, and eagle strike does the least. Also, tiger claw is the only one that applies the ATK debuff. So it now looks like this >
    1. Eagle Strike - does the least damage but procs endo regen. (max hit,non-crit = 2717)
    2. Tiger Claw - does 2nd most damage and procs ATK debuff. (max hit, non-crit = 2764)
    3. Dragon Punch - does the most damage but no cool procs. (max hit, non-crit = 2808)

Keep in mind though the damage difference between the 3 is small, less than a hundred. Which you probably won't notice. So use whatever is best for the situation. On raids where endo is not a factor, dragon punch. On raids where endo is a factor, Eagle strike. In a group with no slower or when I'm tanking, Tiger Claw.
  15. Dropfast Augur

The ATK debuff most certainly does help tanking. It's not huge but it does lower the mobs DI roll. Aka they will hit for max damage less often. It's ATK VS AC in this game, it most certainly does help.
  16. HeatherPurrs Augur

You've apparently not gotten your Resonant Strikes and Punch Mastery AAs.
    Tiger Claws attack debuff makes absolutely no difference.

17. Dropfast Augur

And I'm also not seeing anywhere near that kind of Endo regen from eagle strike, last I saw it was less than 200 a tick and lasts only 2 ticks, so that's about 400 endo each proc, it's no where near 2400.
  18. HeatherPurrs Augur

You've obviously never parsed the encounters then. Because there is no difference between the damage a mob does with or without "eye gouge". Also, if you;re taking up a boss mobs debuff slot with eye gouge your raid should kick you.

19. Thrillho Augur

Do you? It seems you just want to insult & gloat. Constructive criticism is welcome, and even encouraged. But your criticism is not constructive, welcome, nor encouraged.

You asked for opinions in your original post, and within two responses you gave up and huffed and puffed away.

You responded to Cicelee's post, which is nothing more than a joke, with an insult and a gloat about a 25 second fight. Your 157k parse is not accurate. What would it be after an hour of fights? Don't cherry pick your good ones, post the entire average. Better yet, don't post anything at all - no one asked for it, and turning your nose up at a 45k compared to your 157k while offering zero insight as to how it was done helps absolutely no one. If Cicelee were an actual main monk looking for help, your post is just a pure insult.

No, I haven't bothered yet. Is it worth while? Doesn't Tiger Claw give the Eye Gouge proc, and Eagle Strike give an endurance gain? Wouldn't the attack debuff be worthwhile? Or does Eagle Strike also proc Eye Gouge?

Did the out of combat restriction get removed (http://www.raidloot.com/Spells.aspx?name=hiatus&class=Monk)? This would be news to me.

For an extra 4%, Hiatus basically takes me out of combat for up to 48 seconds - more realistically 30 seconds to get to 33% (or 35% for rk3). And since it's on the same timer as Breather, I can't use it when I need it. Conveniently, Breather has the same refresh time as Imitate Death (90 seconds), so these two can be paired whenever you need endurance (and can actually fade off a mob). The only damage reduction is the time it takes to fade off and cast. Still significantly less than the damage reduction from Hiatus.

And if you use Hiatus after you die, when you're more susceptible to die again due to lack of buffs, you're out of luck for the remainder of the 6 minutes Hiatus takes to creep down, vs. the remainder of the 90 seconds Breather takes.

Yes, Hiatus gives you more endurance at once. But the cost (DPS) is greater.

The start of an event I'm typically at 100% endurance. Considering I can burn through all of it in a single event, using STC at 80% to get me back to 100% (not exactly where I started out with) easily, and will keep me with enough endurance to last until STC pops again.

FD doesn't drop aggro. It's a temporary drop, and you still remain on a mob's aggro list. Stand up and you're still in combat.

The only time I still get hit while FDed is when FD fails - either I've fallen to the ground (which I have a trigger for to let me know), or I've had a spell land on me and it breaks my FD (not common, and again I have a trigger).

If you're finding you still have max aggro when you stand up, it's simply because you had too much aggro when you went down and didn't allow the tank (or someone else) enough time to get more than you.

Recasting is an issue with the spell, not with Purify. Spells are going through DAs.

Again, haven't parsed this. It would be a good thing to check out.

That's good. I never bothered leveling up my intimidation because it was useless. Same with bind wound.

Do you?

I hope I got all of your responses. Not as easy to read when you respond in that manner.
    Cicelee likes this.
  20. HeatherPurrs Augur

You aren't seeing it because you haven't maxed Divine Surge of Battle AA. You're also not using your other endurance regen discs and AA. So yeah, I'm sure all your seeing is the pre RoS numbers.