If I could ask the Devs one question...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Montag, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montag Augur

Why, after all these years, has the Human experience bonus that was mistakenly given to Halflings who get arguably the best set of innate racial abilities, not also been given to humans who get no racial abilities at all?

It's been this way since at least beta in nineteen ninety eight, when the Undertaker threw Mankind off hell in a cell and plummeted 16 ft through and announcer's table.
  2. Fohpo Augur

3. Sindaiann Augur

4. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Humans get an eyepatch.
    Niskin likes this.
  5. Montag Augur

It is a serious question, though.
  6. Cloudia Augur

Because humans are the base standard. They get no bonus and no detrimental effects. Well other than being night blind.
  7. fransisco Augur

You could ask the same about rogues and warriors getting a bonus. They have yellow mana now. They are not helpless bad classes anymore like they were in classic.
  8. Bobsmith Augur

After all these years, this late in the game, would it make a noticeable difference?
  9. Weebaaa Augur

Humans got new Freeport instead.
    Tucoh and Felicite like this.
  10. Weebaaa Augur

Hahahahhaaha sorry.
  11. Montag Augur

Insult to injury.
  12. Tachyon Augur

If I could ask a question it would be how do you pronounce Cursecaller Fhqwhgads!
  13. Montag Augur

Prathun and Tachyon like this.
  14. Aurastrider Augur

What class best describes your personality and if you could only pick one beverage would it be whiskey or vodka. These are the serious questions we need answers to.
  15. Angahran Augur

I thought human's 'bonus' was they could be any class and had no penalties.
  16. Qbert Gallifreyan

My question to the developers/coders/GMs/(others?), collectively, would be:

How much do you regret (if at all), that third party programs that interact with the game in some way are not wholly prohibited (and said prohibition enforced in some meaningful way)?

My personal context is below; this will most assuredly not be the mindset of very many, but it is how I perceive the game's evolution on this topic. To be clear: this represents me and does not presume to judge anyone else playing EQ or how they choose to play EQ, but it affords at least a modicum of insight into the basis for my "one question to the devs," as it were.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Programs that read data but do not feed ANYTHING back into the game/as an window overlay I can understand. Sites that give you item statistics, player profiles or even spell information are what I would consider neutral . . . where are you EQPlayers web site?
    • I do not begrudge anyone their personal use of allowed programs (even if EQ generally refuses to define specifically what is and is not permissible in this arena), even if I would not use them myself (immersion-breaking). However, I wonder if the ever-increasing complexity of mob abilities/event mechanics and scripts are at least in part a reactionary response to a large swath of players using their computers and non-EQ software to make many of their decisions for them and facilitate their actions in game.
    • Raids used to be fun (for me) when everyone had to work together, talk with each other (in chat . . . not voice programs, again - immersion issues), coordinate movements and just plain be a team and not a bunch of people following orders/instructions with very little room to approach things in variable ways at the individual level.
    • When a fairly large number of players have decided that they either want to/are required by their guild to/can't properly react without the use of programs that tell you exactly what to do, when (and how) to do it, the game is not . . . EverQuest anymore, to me at least. That does point of view does not assume a negative state of affairs, merely that the game has evolved (or devolved depending upon your perspective) as it pertains to the cooperation/discovery/trial-and-error/FUN standpoint.
    • I stopped raiding when the events became so complicated that it was clear things were often designed with the aforementioned program-assisted player in mind (many years ago now, though I wish still raided). Rather than acquiesce to calls for me to use such programs, I chose to stop raiding so as to not hinder the progress of the guild I was with; I know I could adapt to the use of programs like these, but I have no desire to essentially plug in a GameShark to play EverQuest.
    • I have tried to raid sporadically in the intervening years (usually once every couple of years), but if I even last one full raid it is a small miracle. I cannot abide listening to/talking to other players in a voice chat environment. I also cannot abide utilizing programs that will take away some of the intrigue/fun/challenge of the game, simply to gain an advantage; I always strive to be the best at what I do in the game but I eschew non-game assistance as much as humanly possible.
    • In short, the idea of the progression servers is nice from a nostalgia standpoint. I applaud Daybreak for providing something with an audience that clamors for this type of server. However, I generally like the evolution the game has taken in the vast majority of ways - I don't want to return to how things were, I just wish real-world technology had not ensconced itself our fantasy world.
  17. Qbert Gallifreyan

Except humans cannot be any class, and I think it is fair to say that we also had at least one noticeable penalty from the get-go.

• Even excluding beastlords and berserkers due to their later introduction, humans cannot choose the shaman class.
    • Also, as a human, it was not exactly easy to mosey over to Blackburrow from Qeynos and find that I couldn't see worth a lick in parts of the zone because of our vision issues.
  18. Critts Augur

Well the reason is Mankind had an unusualy high tolerance to pain as well as some mental problems. It didn’t help that he was feed by a mob of people that where cheering his every insane action. Now the undertaker was just evil that’s all.
  19. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Sorry that I don;t have an answer to the OP. I simply don't know.
    I have no idea how to pronounce the curesecaller :/
    And the personal/silly question about Vodka, I feel I should leave since I couldn;t answer the original.
    This paranoia that we design things to SUPPORT third-party is that. Paranoia. And maybe also a conspiracy theory.
    On the contrary, we often attempt to design in such a way as to thwart third-party programs.

As for the complexity. Player power has become so great that the only way to challenge players is to Be complex... otherwise its a cakewalk of a fight that players can basically AFK through without much communication, or it just slaughters players indiscriminately. There is no middle ground anymore.

You mentioned "voice chat" while for you that ruins immersion, to me that greatly enhances it (I talking about Ventrillo, Discord, Teamchat, etc...) Typing is not "immersive" to me, but chatting while in combat is awesome! But I understand that different people have different opinions there. In my opinion Voice chat is awesome.

The other "harmless" programs, I'm afraid I have to stick with the company line on that. No comment other than what is in the EULA.
    Rolaque, Xanumbik, Brohg and 9 others like this.
  20. IblisTheMage Augur

Ngreth, you rock.

And Havana Rum, 7 year old, room temperetature. Of course.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.