If 2023 TLP is PvP TLE server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by uberkingkong, Mar 6, 2023.

1. uberkingkong Augur

This thread has over 9000!!!!!! views!!!
  2. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I forgot the other part of interaction other than trading and yeah, I knew that in the back of my head. It's not an uncommon thing for a "mixed" server to prevent interaction because it invites some exploits of a blue supporting a red but the opponents not being able to do anything to them, i.e. healing being one of the big ones.

Having played Star Wars Galazies way way back in its 2nd year, if I had a wishlist for "going red" it would be very similar to how consensual PvP worked there. In SWG back then, you could be a member of one of the factions and be covert (blue) or overt (red). You could also be non-factioned (blue with no ability to go red). In SWG early years:
    • PvP was strictly Teams, 2 teams, I'm sure you can work that out what they were :) (SWG was set between IV and V or VI).
    • To be able to covert or overt you had to do a certain amount of faction questing to attain a particular rank level (If I remember rightly, it took a bit of faction work to get to that point so that the opposing team wouldn't just be able to grief those who were in the early stages of factioning, i.e. low-levels).
    • You would make yourself overt by talking to an NPC to be able to do specific faction-based PvE content past a certain rank of the faction. Things at that point were such like blowing up an NPC fort or some such. Those of the opposing faction could assist the NPCs and PvP the questors.
    • If you did a trade or or other interactions with some one overt or of a high faction rank that's covert, you would become overt, but only if you had progressed in a faction enough to be 'covert' and they were opposite faction. (This happened to me when I was handing over armor I made and sold and it exposed I was the opposite faction *laugh* He was nice and didn't kill me. The armor I made was too good for him to want to. Usually I had people buy from my merchants.) - there were, sadly, a few who would use this to grief people.
    • While overt, you could not enter player housing or, I think, travel off-world. It's been a couple decades almost, I am allowed to forget somethings ;-P If you were in player housing when made overt, it would kick you out (see above, that's what happened to me, kicked right out of my own workshop!)
    • While overt you could still use the bazaar terminals but you couldn't use merchants in player housing (because you couldn't enter player housing).
    • To go covert (blue) from overt, it required a specific amount of time not doing any PvP related activity including any interaction with someone overt of either faction. I forget if it was automatic or required doing something on top of the cool down. I vaguely remember accidentally restarting that timer by doing something without thinking about it and having a forehead slapping moment.
    • You could also self-select to be perma-overt. I forget though if it was a UI switch or just always doing stuff that kept you overt.
    • AND, you could flip factions only if you did enough faction questing with the other side to get to zero with your original faction then work up enough faction in the other one to get appropriate rank to be able to be covert/overt. (I actually did this, for RP reasons, I switched from Imperial to Rebel. I knew a few people who flipped it twice. Waaay to much work.) Doing faction work with the other side wasn't like handing bottles of wine to a drunkard while invis or sneaking. It required being overt and out in the world where those NPCs you were working to build faction with might also just kill you dead as look at you and if you fought back, all the faction work you were doing would be lost. You couldn't even start quests to flip faction until you were a certain rank in the faction where you would be overt/covert and were overt while doing that factioning.
    I started thinking back to SWG PvP and missing that game all over again :(
    I was only in a couple small battles with multiple people on each side. I was a rebel at that time wearing pink and teal armor, colours my character loved by I find rather... not so appealing :p But I was also in a few small skirmish impromptu firefights when I was overt at the "wrong times". Mostly I was covert and making fabulous armor (as in, yeah, I broke intended game mechanics by playing the game mechanics with insane min/maxing. I loved that part of the game, too. ))
    While some of the overt/covert system might be too complex for EQ (and did have it's own issues), I would love to see something similar again. I think mixed server would be far more interesting and not just Arena or duals.
    Vewdue likes this.
  3. Vewdue Elder

Yeah, the "exploit" potential for allowing interactions with blue chars is probably one of the main reasons it was added. I never really thought too much about it, but it makes sense. Even on TZ/VZ you still saw some forms of that. "Evil" races would have a "Good" race healer they would drag along. Or they would bring a much higher lvl healer, that's out of range to the char they were PvPing with. At max lvl that no longer becomes an issue, but it did happen in the lower and mid lvls. The players using a healer of an "opposite" team also happened. It wasn't something you encountered all of the time, but it did happen. It definitely sucks to be fighting someone when they have a box healer you can't even attack. People would also counter this by calling in help, sometimes it helps to keep a few friends among the enemies! I remember people would run into the issue of a player with a box they couldn't attack, they would ask a few friends and next thing you know, someone shows up that can attack the box!

I like the idea of being able to "Switch sides". I think that would be a fun and interesting aspect to include. It would probably take a lot of work to add something like that to EQ. But it's a good idea though!
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. uberkingkong Augur

I was thinking of playing EQ2 PvP.
    They ticked off their community as well it seems though.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/april-new-pvp-tle-server-coming.608475/page-4

I'm not sure who it is ticking people off. These people? https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ty-resource-council-mission-statement.280525/

Let me say this, so
    - EQ2 PvP TLE, no beta test server. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/new-pvp-tle-server-opening-soon.609484/

Accendo, Note the update above: We've just decided we will not have a beta test for Zarrakon.
    Will there be a beta test for Zarrakon?
    • Yes. Details will be shared in the coming days/weeks. [Updated March 30, 2023] No.
    This games raid community, resources to raiders.
    They throw everything for them.
    Beta test raids never fail.
    Raids are easier than ever, 10+ guilds finish T3 all of it day 1.
    Beta tests for Raiders, always 100%, 100% raiders everything.

Freddie Mecury - Well boys and girls, the word is in... they just did a copy / paste of all the failtastic things they did in the past...
    The server is dead before arrival.

This company. Investment into raiders. Everyone else getting the shaft. I really dislike this.

You can say raiders are bulk of EQ, fair. But you check out games with WAY bigger population. Raids are nothing to bulk of those games. It's hard to find a raider in games like Guild Wars 2. twice three times 10 times bigger population and its hard to find raiders, especially hardcore ones. (actually its easy to find, their LFG system is good, but theres not many of them)

So don't be saying "wheres the data of non raiders" "wheres the data of pvp'ers"
    The datas in the other MMO's 10 times bigger than this.

Runescape, thats not known for raiding. I know it for wilderness PvP, very scary area.
    Guild Wars 1, Halls of Heroes PvP
    Guild Wars 2, #esports PvP (fun while it lasted), still decent PvP scene, tons of WvW'ers (actually know for WvW PvP too)

5 months ago recent video, its been like this since 10 years ago when GW2 launched.
    Queues is all you need to know. About that video.
    80v80v80, 15 person que
    285 people wanting to pvp
    theres 4 borderlands with 15 person que
    1140 players pvp on their mind
    theres like 5 matchups, so
    5700 players pvp on their mind, ACTIVE/LIVE players, 5700.
    PvP is so popular it has another mode, spvp.
    GW2 they have 2 PvP modes, WvW and sPvP

Thats just GW2,
    Runescape, https://mmostats.com/game/old-school-runescape
    1.5 million daily players.
    Can imagine 5700 or more players in wilderness at any given time. They have like 120+ servers? Probably 50 people in wilderness on each server, I can see that.

EQ, nothing. Lagging behind other MMORPGs. MMORPGs have boats you can ride and control, all these fancy things you can do.

More content to make current players/raiders happy is what the TLP is about.

So all this showering raiders with everything while the other communities get shafted. I dislike.

ITS OVER 9000!!!

Honestly if 2023 was EQ PvP TLE, I'd expect this

People having their cursor ready to join the server. Overwhelmed. EQ having to bump of the server instance because overwhelmed with PvP vibe 2023. Look at all of those happy PvP'ers. Team BASED. Objectives to do. Fights to be fought. Fun to be had

Runescape, 200+ people going after cheaters. 200 people actually caring.

5 months ago video

Views ~Over 9000