How to massively reduce RMT

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Haldi, Mar 28, 2022.

1. UNDEADCRUSHER Elder

Ranger is nothing till Luclin, bard and druid are replaced by enc and wiz, on TZ the dark team was always able to complete the planes. Or you could simply add half elves that start in Neriak and have a blue tinge to them.
  2. UNDEADCRUSHER Elder

Im 100% sure they will enforce on warping since once someone is known for warping you can put up see invis and record the warping.
  3. Xazier Augur

"Create a similar Krono system like WoW has with their WoW token. IE cannot trade Kronos from person to person rather have to put in on a trader at a set price based on what DPG thinks the price of a Krono should be compared to the amount of plat in the economy. Anyone with a knowledge in Probability and Statistics knows that this is not hard to do."

This should definitely be implemented it works very well in WoW and provides blizzard with more revenue, It would provide DPG with more revenue as well. You can still pay for your sub with kronos via plat, just Now the market is more stable.
  4. Gnothappening Augur

Yeah, it should definitely be done if DPG wants to cut down on the amount of krono they sell to almost nothing. If you guys can keep coming up with ideas like this, maybe DPG can shut down all together.

We already have a slew of rumors about a plat dupe every TLP with weird rules. Now imagine if people had to list krono at a set price. Nobody would buy them.
  5. Truetotheblue Augur

Disclaimer - I agree that implementing the same system WoW has for the token is a bad idea. Precedent has already been set with how they are and they are integrated into the games economy as a whole.

But, did want to add a point of clarity for the WoW token. The price is variable based on the market. It changes, often, so not quite a set price. It tends to have about a 50k float in either direction depending on a new server release or upcoming patch.
  6. Truetotheblue Augur

It would not make a massive difference in terms of RMT or usage of Krono
    The currency would just convert to Plat inflating substantially and being utilized in lieu of krono or players just RMTing directly. WoW doesn't have the deep trading economy that EQ does and paid boosting services are a dime a dozen. Their system has its own issues and it's not perfect either, even with the limitations on the token. People just transact in gold instead.
  7. Soulsiphon Elder

I agree with the OPs take on this. He did say it wont completely stop RMT but WoWs token system works perfectly fine. It is a way to stabilize the Market just like Xazier said. The WoW token doesn't inflate nearly as fast as kronos do either. I do understand new servers inflation does rise quickly, but when you have plat dupes or you a massive increase in the price of krono when you know damn well 5k players in the luclin expansion could not farm that amount of plat even if they were farming SG 24/7 vendoring gems for a year straight. But that is it's own separate issue, I get it.

BTW it does limit RMT through krono sales. It doesn't get rid of RMT, but it is a step in the right direction in my opinion.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If that is how the system was designed from the start that would be fine but they won't be able to make the change to how it works at the current time because they can't just change the terms for what they have sold after the fact. Besides you can't stop RMT in these type of games and it would just shift it back to 3rd party websites and people would start getting scammed again.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Gnothappening Augur

No longer selling kronos would limit RMT through krono sales too, and that is about as good an idea as this.

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point of krono. Krono wasn't added to make things easier for players. It was added so that DPG could get a slice of the RMT without tacitly supporting it. It even costs more than a full price monthly sub.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Jakuk Lorekeeper

You guys are missing the point of what he is saying. Have any of you played WoW or understand how the WoW token works?

Kronos will still be sold by DPG
    Kronos will no longer be tradeable between players.
    You can buy Kronos with in game plat from a trader with a set value from DPG (players dont set the value of Krono
    Kronos can still be used for monthly subs.

Basically removing Krono as a currency but it still is useful for players to sub accounts if they make the required platinum to afford one based on DPG. That also gives players a way to make currency in exchange as well for buying the krono from DPG but you know the value is set before buying the krono from the store.

I for one think this would be a great idea and a massive win for Daybreak/Darkpaw. It's a win win for the player and the company but a swift kick in the britches to the players who sell krono on 3rd party websites.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And it would violate the agreement that was created when each and every one of them was sold and not prevent RMT just changes how it happens.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Overcast451 Augur

Well, yes - but good ways to do it. One way they tried was nerfing the enchanter color stuns. Now they all share the same cooldown.

Great some might say - a single chanter can't keep 100 mobs stun locked.

But 3+ can easily. And the RMT'ers just do that. In the process they have functionally killed the ability for a single group to do AoE. You want AoE leveling? Have to pay for it now, can't single group it anymore. Unless half the group is enchanters. Then one tank, one healer - you have room for 1 DPS, so crap won't die anyway.

I think that actually made the problem worse.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

RMT stands for real money transaction right? Krono is a RMT the day it is sold. You are giving cash for an in game item, which is then traded for a different in game item.

Platinum is an in game item. Often, Krono is bought and sold for platinum, but platinum has no value, so it is then used for a different in game item.

So you are RMT for an in game item (krono) which is then traded for an in game item (platinum) which is then traded for some other in game item...

Krono simply added a 1st party step to an existing RMT system of buying platinum 3rd party. Krono however has more actual value than platinum, because you can not buy game time with platinum. EverQuest expanded on the problem when they brought the RMT to 1st party.

So just to clarify, it's all RMT, it's just an issue of 1st party RMT vs 3rd party RMT.

I have not partaken, but I would speculate the transactions look like this...

1st party RMT of a Krono $18.00
    People farm platinum and trade the platinum for the Krono.
    Krono is then sold 3rd party for. $xx.00 making $18.00-$xx.00 in profit.
    Either the person claims the krono for discount game time or...
    They sell the krono for platinum giving them a better platinum:krono rate that the 1st buyer.
    That person then either consumes the krono or makes another RMT...
    etc.

The only way to eliminate 3rd party RMT is offer the same services at a competitive price. Since the 3rd party Krono rates are likely lower than subscription rates, you can't actually fix the subscription issue unless Krono is removed as a way to get game time.

Then they would have to sell platinum instead, which would make EQ a massively ridiculous PTW game like sooooo many others.

But the actual issue here isn't RMT or PTW. The actual issue is botting. And not even botting itself but abusive AFK 3rd party RMT farming botting.

So the solution here is not to give two poopies about RMT, boxers or even a slight amount of botting in little box groups, but to find and eliminate the blatant abusers who are running multiple groups fully automated and AFK.

It is incredibly easy to see that abuse yet it goes unaddressed, and that is the actual issue. That pisses people off. They get angry. Then boxers and people using a little help become collateral damage and then everyone is mad.

It's not hard to figure out who the big problem are. Put a few high playtime people on the payroll. Send them a computer with recording abilities and make them guides. Target the big abusers. Leave the boxer alone.
    Metanis likes this.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

No, you are missing the point.

Then they RMT platinum like they did before Krono.

The person who buys the Krono at $18 is happy to get the platinum.
    The person who buys the platinum at $xx.00 is happy to get the Krono.

You aren't fixing anything. You are just changing the way the transactions occur.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Jakuk Lorekeeper

I never said it stops RMT. You are assuming my focus is to stop RMT which it is not. There is no way to stop RMT. And yes you can still buy platinum from those 3rd party websites, my whole approach is to take out the number one thing that affects the servers economy, which is Krono. Platinum is not the driving force in the economy, Krono is. A significant portion of the player base plays EQ specifically to farm krono only because it is perceived to be tangible in the game. Krono also is the main currency in Everquest not platinum. Daybreak has an opportunity to sell more krono and make more money if the control the price and make them non tradeable. I also agree with others in this post that it would stabilize the market. People who argue against these basic ideas just goes to show us who the real RMT keono farmers are and they will do everything in their power to prevent something like this because it threatens their bottom line. Krono is much easier to sell than platinum, and daybreak monitors them both differently.
  16. code-zero Augur

Very few people who play EQ care what they do in WoW. If they want to play WoW they can do that.
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

That is a logical fallacy used to attack a person or an ideal on something other than merit of the actual ideal. IDC if you get rid of Krono. I don't RMT. I don't farm platinum. I have no bottom line to threaten.

In 2003, this article was written comparing the Platinum in EverQuest to the GDP of a country. Give it a read. https://flatrock.org.nz/topics/info_and_tech/game_theories.htm

People used to buy Platinum in shady deals.

People now buy krono, sell it for platinum and then sell the Krono at a discount to another person willing to make a shady deal.

In the proposed solution, people will buy Krono, someone will make a shady deal to buy the platinum, and then buy the krono.

You are not fixing anything. You are simply changing the steps in the transaction. The proposed solution doesn't have the desired impact. Krono is the leading method for RMT because it is the easiest. Before Krono, it was Platinum, and if you get rid of Krono, it will be platinum again.

The proposed solution not only doesn't fix the problem, it can't actually work.

Krono on Luclin is currently going for 2.6million. On FV, it's going for over 5 million. I know this, not because I have a bottom line, I do not, but rather because I see the spam constantly, and I would rather not. Anyway, point is, DPG would have to make a significant time investment in tracking server platinum values to maintain fixed Krono values. My point is, that time would be better investing in addressing the underlying farming issue.

Sorry, but price fixing Krono is not in the ballpark of a workable solutions.
    code-zero and Metanis like this.
  18. Elabone Augur

My man, you are delusional. You have this fantasy that there is going to be hunting parties running around the world. Thats not going to happen lol. Maybe you and a few of your friends will do that, but there certainly will not be massive guilds that do it on a daily basis.

Most guilds cant even band together to stop a single person who comes to train or KS your group. Its a nice fantasy to think about, but its definitely not going to be what actually takes place.
    code-zero likes this.
  19. Jakuk Lorekeeper

Interesting Article with some very valid points. I do agree it does not change RMT. But it does make it less convenient for the RMTer to sell goods because now they all have to go the platinum route.
  20. Gnothappening Augur

Not really. All will happen is krono will stop being bought from DPG. Websites will quit selling krono and will swap to all plat. I see no way doing this increases DPG krono sales.