How to Cleric??

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Talonthalis, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Gundolin Augur

Thanks, So far just Gorowyn but we're getting closer on the other two, and now that Kor-sha is on farm status T1 is going a lot better. :)
  2. Talonthalis Elder

Hey all!

I wanted to check in as it’s been a while. Thanks again to everyone who has put great information into this post. I also wanted to call out a couple of other threads that have been super helpful as I’ve been moving forward that may help other clerics as well who may come back to learn things here:

1. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...aid-clerics-for-ros-multi-bind-method.247597/ Thanks Clarisa!!!
    2. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/color-coded-healer-window.247126/ Thanks Pano!!

I finally hit 108 last night (woohoo!!) It’s such an amazing comparison to see a true cleric in action vs a merc in group content. While my group is between 108 and 110, we started camping in Sathirs Tomb for experience when I was 105. Sure I spam healed a bit (a lot?), early on, but no one has died (other than a couple wonky pulls). Until 106.5, I didn’t even have level appropriate gear (that my Paladin brother smithed for me) that nearly doubled my mana. Of course my other group-mate, boxing a bard for songs/twitch and a mage with mod rods, sure made life easier. Still, an active cleric (I wouldn’t label myself as good yet) seems to make all the difference in the world. Another thing worth mentioning is GINA definitely helps. I’ve gone so far to build timers bars for my AA’s so I don’t have to pry my eyeballs out of my face while scrying through all the junk in the songs windows from the bard (no offense bro) and other casters. It help me determine if and when I need to move onto the next AA to beef up my healing capabilities.

Through all of the wonderful advice posted here and great ideas, I still am finding a few questions that are hard to answer:

1. Stuns? Are they useless? They seem level dependent and as content seems to be yellow/red to my mates at 110 so do I put stuns aside?? Do the heal/dd procs still work if the stun doesn't work due to level restrictions?
    2. Does anyone have a good plan for Buff Stacking with Shamans/Ranger/Druids? Any good lineups? Outside of Shining/DI/Divine Guardian. It's hard to interpret what can do what when most buffs are adding three things per click now. I know better buffs make healing easier in the long run.
    3. Must have gear: Working on getting Tome of Manipulation, Helping Hand, Miniature Horn of Unity, Cleric Epic 1.5/2.0 for Arbitration clicky, and Small Manisi Branch (but how the heck to get this outside of a guild let alone the Invested)?
    4. Why use this instead of yaulp aa? Is it that much better? : (see quote below)

Thanks again to everyone who is putting time into this thread. I understand just how much reading has been involved so it is thrilling to see such comprehensive responses. I hope it will help current and future healers as much as it's helped me! You all are the best!
  3. Brohg Augur

did you look them up at all?

AA
    Lesser Yaulp IVCLR/254 PAL/2540.25s18s42s+n/aSelf
    1: Increase ATK by 290
    3: Increase Current Mana by 100 per tick
    8: Increase Worn Proc Rate by 50%
    9: Increase Melee Haste by 30%

Item
    Yaulp XIV Rk. IICLR/101100.25s18s36s+n/aSelf
    1: Increase ATK by 318
    3: Increase Current Mana by 113 per tick
    8: Increase Worn Proc Rate by 60%
    9: Increase Melee Haste by 30%

Besides being plain better, the item has a 1min recast built in, so those that use a multibind (gonna call that 99% of clerics) can just put the item in the multibind and not have it spamming quite so frequently.
    Metanis likes this.
  4. Talonthalis Elder

Thanks for the quick reply, Brohg, about yaulp'ing. I apologize as I should have been a little more clear on what I was trying to define as "worth it". The Lesser Yaulp AA giving 100 mana over 7 ticks vs the item's Yaulp XIV giving 113 mana over 6 ticks: left me thinking why bother spending time getting an item that produces less mana overall per click (678 mana-item vs 700 mana-AA)? Is it worth it just for the multi-bind though? In my position, an increased ATK rating doesn't affect me as I'm not attacking (not that other PC's playing clerics can't). Is it the increase to Worn Proc Rate by 10% that makes it worth it?

Just trying to understand all aspects of it here. I apologize if my newb is showing here. I just want to learn how to be a great cleric vs average. Thanks again!
  5. Brohg Augur

Either one is on full time. Every tick, you either get 100, or you get 113.
  6. Gundolin Augur

Good question not sure if I have a good answer but my general rule of thumb for buffs is if it sticks cast it. If your group has access to Druid Skin cast symbol on everyone except:
    • Paladins, Don't cast symbol on a Paladin unless they ask.
    • Clerics -I generally prefer to go with Self shielding/Assurance over Druid Skin/Symbol/Shaman for the higher mana regeneration, but its a trade off for Clerics, I think most prefer the higher HP/AC from stacking Symbol and Skin but YRMV.
    • Magicians - Again most prefer the higher AC/HP from Symbol/Druid Skin/Shaman buffs vs the slightly higher mana regen from self buffing and Assurance. But if they are constantly pressed for mana then go with Assurance.
    • Everyone else if no access to Druid Skin is available.
  7. Talonthalis Elder

Thanks to Gundolin and Brohg for answering a couple more of my questions! I started deep diving into buff stacking with slots and such at Allakhazam's Spell Data page. It's like another language one has to learn but it's starting to make sense. Kind of like a lot of IF/THEN statements "if this kid eats 4 hot dogs but that kid eats 3 hot dogs with mustard then the mustard dogs over-write the flavor profile of the Oscar Mayer buff unless..." sort of thing.

Does anyone have any good info on my stuns question from above? I'd hate to think the stun lines become completely useless in ROS and are only perpetuated towards newer versions because DBG is copy/pasting spell lines. It just seems like a broken idea to me that the cap wouldn't be 113. Am I missing something?

Other than that, I think the only way (outside of a guild as I am) to obtain the Small Manisi Branch is to start a new thread and try to organize something on the server and see if there is any interest to do the Foretold Hour quest with spawning and removing all the ancients.

108 has been a grind though so no update there as I'm still deep in XP mode. Hope everyone has a great weekend with the experience bonus!
  8. Fohpo Augur

Press button, heal tanks
    Gundolin likes this.
  9. Clarisa Augur

In a group situation, cleric stuns (other class' stuns may be better) are mostly useless due to the low level cap, long recast timers, and the fact that most mobs you'd want to stun can't be (either due to level or they are just immune to it). They did add indirect heals to all of our stuns a few years ago and created the "Sound" line of stuns (newest being Sound of Wrath) which is a fast-cast stun (0.25 sec) that provides a stun along with a 6355 hit point heal for a meager 125 mana, making it the cheapest and fastest heal available to our class. Unfortunately, the low heal amounts and the recast timers make it hard to use them as heals in a group situation, so while the intent was nice, it really didn't change the usefulness of the stun lines that much. They *could* be more useful when soloing, but I wouldn't know as much about that as others.

You'll find that there are several cleric spell lines that see limited usefulness (to a greater extent than stuns, which are not terrible spells, just not suited to the content as much as they were before), either due to poor design or implementation or antiquation. Sometimes there are just bad ideas for spells that should never have been made (Acquittal) or the idea is decent but the implementation is poor (Infusion and Anticipated, just to name two) or the spell is old and from a different time and has outlived its usefulness (Light and Vie). Unfortunately, spells are rarely discontinued from the game unless they are one-time creations (Alliance and Undying Life), so instead we continue to see "bad" spell lines continued until a change is made to make them better (Remedy). I do wish that the spell designer had the time (assuming that is the issue) to go through some of these spell lines and try to make them better but with a few rare exceptions, "bad" spell lines generally don't get better and we just have to accept them as they are. Not every spell can be useful in every situation, sure, and every game has "bad" abilities that everyone ignores, but it's a shame to me that some spell lines are so neglected when simple changes can be made to improve/encourage usage.

I made a post about a new hammer available in Ring of Scale here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/ros-clerical-things.245824/#post-3637711 It has the same heal click on the same timer as the branch and if you join a guild raiding Ring of Scale, it has the potential to be even better than the branch with an improved heal available with the raid upgrade. I am not sure how far you are into Ring of Scale progression but it could be easier to obtain than the Small Manisi Branch (which doesn't need to be upgraded to the Invested raid version unless you want better stats for it -- the group version has the same heal and it doesn't have to be worn). The branch was much easier to obtain back when that expansion was current and while The Foretold Hour can probably be done with less people now it's very hard sometimes to get people to do something like that for priest characters. The hammer, though, is a nice option and you might easily get more help for that as there are chase items for other classes in Veeshan's Peak that will make the trip more worthwhile for everyone.
    Metanis likes this.
  10. Talonthalis Elder

Happy April Everyone! It's been a while since I've updated my progress and I've finally hit 110! The anniversary experience bonus helped quite a bit. With my normal group out of town I've been doing some old clicky-item quests (Mask of Vanishing, Earring of Diminutiveness, Zueria's Slide for a gate to a POK book, and a levitate item from station store as i had enough cash saved up) and now am looking to start my epic 1.5. I have finished the prequest as of yesterday so I can get started although I haven't started getting my brewing skill up for this yet though.

Thanks, Clarisa, for the previous post about the Apothic Hammer. It seems, as we will be doing progression anyways, that this would be easier than organizing a bunch of people for the Small Manisi Branch quest as we are guildless.

So as I refine my techniques and work to improve healing, beyond spamming my key-binds, things are settling into a routine for me. Outside of Fohpo's comment:
    What are clerics at 110 doing that they are excited about? Any specific quests or drops? A favorite zone? A must have AA set (besides the extra spell gem)? Anything that you all are jazzed up about?

Thanks to everyone who was able to contribute to this thread and bring updated information to new clerics, like myself. I hope everyone has a wonderful spring season!

~Talatlantis (Newly attained 110) Cleric on Bertoxxulous Server
  11. MrBonesHOK New Member

How do I setup a multi-bind sequence? Can you give me an example of yours (as in the actual commands?) I'm new to this (and EQ) and I can't seem to figure it out, I just upgraded to Heroic.
  12. Dreadmore Augur

Gundolin likes this.
  13. Brohg Augur

a multibind is set up in Options, this post has some helpful screenshots. the trick allows one keypress to try lots of options, executing the first available one. That lets you weave together abilities with different cooldown timers with minimal attention. In the cleric case, instead of the nukes in the screenshot, you would line up heals.
    Gundolin likes this.
  14. Talonthalis Elder

About halfway down the page in this thread is a great example of what to put into a multi-bind at 110: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/cleric-guide.223689/

For a heroic at 85, I've found that QH refers to Quick Heal, a spell type choice within your heals. From 85 to 100ish my multi-bind consisted of the most recent,2nd, and 3rd most recent spells in the Remedy line (Devout Remedy, Solemn Remedy, etc...) along with the intervention lines 2 most recent (Holy Intervention at 83 and Celestial Intervention at 88). I've tried to keep 5 spells due to timing in my multibinds as I leveled and I'm sure there were more efficient lineups but this one did work well to get started.
    Now mind you, the Remedy line doesn't become a true quick heal (.5 casting time) until 96. Again, I still used them but others may have a better lineup to offer.

I hope this helps and welcome to Everquest, MrBonesHOK! This thread has a ton of info to help you so make sure you go back and read it all and follow the links people present. It's worth the time to make an awesome cleric!
    Gundolin likes this.
  15. Fohpo Augur

Couldn't tell you, mine is just a box
  16. Talonthalis Elder

Hey all! This question has been bothering me for a bit: Is it worth going through TBM progression to increase the cleric dicho lvls of Undying Life at 110? Is the spell going to be that much more UBER that I'd use it over other healing lines? As I'm spending time doing ROS progression at current, I wasn't sure about going back to get this unless clerics see this as a must have. I'm using the lvl 1 version off and on in grouping and I'm not with a guild to consider raiding, yet.

Any thoughts?
  17. Fohpo Augur

I ended up getting it on my box cleric while doing it for other classes (hello SK, zerk, and enc), I'll give it some testing and let you know in a few days. You can finish RoS content in the mean time and I'll let you know.
  18. Clarisa Augur

The HP buff portion of the spell, Undying Blessing, improves with rank increasing a target's Max HP by 15% at Rank 1 and 19.3% at Rank 6, so you're gaining roughly 0.7 - 1.0 percent more HP per increase in rank. The single target heal goes from 40661 to 51895, while the group heal goes from 18704 to 23872, but the HP boost is more significant because it's percentage-based and will scale up as tank HP pools increase.

As far as it being worth upgrading? It definitely is, considering how infrequent increases to percentage-based abilities like Undying Blessing and our HP aura are. We waited years for a tiny 1% increase to the HP aura and Undying Life is likely to never be upgraded considering it was designed as a one-shot, powerful spell for the class and it could be argued that the heal values and the HP increase are sufficient for the remaining life of the game.

I'm not sure where I would rank it on the hierarchy of things a cleric needs, but it is definitely up there considering it can be acquired through relatively easy group content while a lot of other things can't or require a better group/more time invested.
    Gundolin and Talonthalis like this.
  19. Talonthalis Elder

Thank you Clarisa and Fohpo for your responses! Seems to be a big jump from 1 to 6 but not the same jump from 1 to 3 (group content only). Once with a guild that will raid TBM, it does look like it's worth it. I think I'll wait and go back for it after I can get caught up with RoS gear and questing, unless I suddenly become active with a raiding lifestyle.

Thanks again for your help!
  20. Mirriee New Member

MrBonesHOK, welcome to EQ, the greatest game ever!

Here's a link for you that may be a bit more relevant:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/cleric-max-raid-healing.212459/#post-3108094

It's a bit old, and the pictures no longer seem to work, but it's a fairly good explanation. Essentially, go in to options, spell casting, and set your healing spells to a single key. Order those heals in a specific order on your gems, the best heal (fastest) being first, and worst (slowest) being last. Then, all you have to do is hit that key over and over as fast as you can, while targeting the toon you want to heal, and your best heal that is available, and not on cooldown, will be cast on that toon.