Cleric 'max' raid healing

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Nylrem, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Nylrem Augur

Cleric “MAX” healing…

Going to break this up into segments, too long to post in one shot.
    First of all, I am going to assume you already know the basics as a cleric. About targetting, setting keys to toggle targets, hotkeys to target Xtarget, cycle through nearest corpses, have a social hotkey for rezzing between casting heals, putting non-grouped tanks, CC, and pullers in xtarg window, etc.

This is strictly for ‘advanced’ cleric healing, to go from basic healing, to max raid healing. I am not trying to tell anyone how to heal, but am expressing there are better ways to heal than most clerics utilize.

AGENDA:
    Spell effectiveness
    Raid Healing (multiple healers vs. 1 tank)
    Group healing during raid
    Multibinding
    AA social hotkeys
    Triggers (Gina/Gamtexttrigger)
    Guild cleric team actual heal effectiveness vs max
    Other tips and how to train your dragon… err tanks
    SPELL EFFECTIVENESS

My cleric’s best to worst order for healing spells is (average hp healed per second of cast time, used 100 casts each, then averaged and divided by cast time):
    Graceful Remedy Rk. III ............ 67,614
    Virtuous Intervention Rk. III ....... 48,871
    Fraught Renewal Rk. III ............ 44,365
    Elysian Intervention Rk. III ......... 36,710
    Virtuous Contravention Rk. III ..... 36,416
    Fervent Renewal Rk. II ............. 34,840
    Elysian Contravention Rk. II ....... 28,601
    Celestial Intervention Rk. III........26,765
    Frenzied Renewal Rk. III............ 26,660
    Reverent Light Rk. III ............... 26,076
    Anticipated Interposition Rk. III........has a large variance depending on what type tank cast on
    Syllable of Renewal Rk. III........... 24,255 (per target)
    Word of Reformation Rk. III ......... 22,785 (per target)
    Word of Renewal Rk. III .............. 21,361 (per target)
    Ward of Certitude Rk. III.......... 373,138 (at max prevented/healed, too hard to figure average)
    Shining Bastion Rk. III.............. 128,666

Because of the severe restriction on 15th and the fact I cannot cast it any time it's refreshed, it’s not worthy of a spell gem IMO. Because I cannot heal anyone other than the MT with Contraventions, I do not consider those either, however, you can definitely utilize them during some events if you desire. Especially combined with Improved Twincast AA, they can be particularly effective to heal the MT. Promised is also terrible for 3 reasons: if any other priest casts another promised while one is running, it overwrites it, and makes it so that one does not heal at all. It takes FOREVER to doom, 18-24 seconds is an eternity any more in healing. It overwrites Divine Guardian, which is an excellent buff that WILL ONLY fire when it’s needed, unlike promised.

As you can see, Reverent Light is one of our worst heals. Only group heals are worse vs single targets. So, the object to ‘max’ healing is to avoid using Light as much as possible, and increase the number of ‘better’ heals cast, attempting to ‘max’ the best heals per timeframe.

Ward of Certitude can prevent 160,800hp damage plus the 25,769 heal proc; all together it is 550% better than the next best heal of Graceful Remedy IF the mob hits for 20,100 or more for all 8 hits of Ward’s prevention. To take a more accurate ‘average’ of the prevented damage, I’d have to know what the average hit was of all different raid mobs on a tank. Ward is MUCH more efficient vs the hardest hitting mobs (a 20,100hp rune x 8hits vs a 40k hitting mob = huge) less so vs softer hitting mobs (a 12k average hit x 8 hits = much less impressive).

Anticipated Interposition is very tough to place and would vary from character to character that it’s cast upon. It’s average heal is tremendously different between a warrior or a knight, and dependent on what AA they have, since it’s 31,161hp base heal acts as if it comes from them, and only is focused/crits if that person has AA that allow it to. On a paladin, this heal proc would be almost twice as good as a Fraught Renewal. On a war, who only has a 15% chance to crit this spell, and zero focus to heals, it’s worse than Reverent Light except that it can proc between hits in a melee round. IE – If a war were to have A.I. on, and were to take a quad round of 20k, 40k, 40k, 40k, instead of actually taking 140k damage, they would take 20k, 40k (then AI fires, with a 31k base heal), 40k, 40k, taking only 109k(80k if AI crits) damage that round instead. This is why a designated cleric spamming AI on the MT during the very hard hitters can be beneficial, so they have less chance of getting dead in a single bad round.

HOWEVER, these numbers are assuming that each heal will land for it’s maximum potential, which, when multiple healers are healing a single tank, DOES NOT happen.
    Viper1, Adaire, Ylyrra-TP and 6 others like this.
  2. Nylrem Augur

RAID HEALING – MULTIPLE HEALERS vs 1 TANK

The truth is, in a raid environment, the more heals you can cast in a given time period, the better you’re healing. BECAUSE, 50% or so of all your heals are going to land when the tank is 80% or more hp, so their actual amount healed is almost irrelevant, it’s going to top the tank off anyway. Maybe 15% of all cast heals, from any one cleric, will actually heal for their max potential and that's only if the cleric is maxing Graceful Remedy. So, with that being considered, the primary consideration when comparing heals should be the speed that they can be cast. The more heals cast, the better, period. (as long as they are at least a decently high amount of hp healed, of course)

With that in consideration, the ‘best’ 10 heals, in order, and my personal ‘Raid’ spellset would be:
    1.Ward
    2.Graceful
    3.V.I.
    4.E.I.
    5.C.I.
    6.Fraught
    7.Fervent
    8.Frenzied
    9.Syllable
    10.Word
    With last 2 slots as buffs, usually for me:
    11.Shining Bastion/Cert/Symbol/Splash/Issuance/DS, whichever assigned or best for event
    12.D.I./other if other group cleric doing D.I.

Assigning the first 8 spell gems to a single key, called ‘multibinding’ will allow the cleric to cast them, in preference order, top to bottom, as fast as they refresh, without having to know or try to figure out which is about to refresh. I will explain in a minute how to do that.

A cleric that uses this max method of healing will heal MORE THAN 100% more hp on a tank than one that is mainly spamming Light/Word. In other words, 4 clerics utilizing this method is worth more than 8 clerics spamming Light/Word vs a single tank.

GROUP HEALING DURING A RAID

First, all buffers, including clerics should be putting a Tranquil Blessing ‘in the hole’. This provides for their next TBable spell to be mass buffed during the event, allowing each buff class to MGB 2 buffs per event (only way to lose the TB que is to die or zone; agro, length of time, etc, does not matter). For clerics, this should usually be Celestial Regen AA. The only restriction, if you want to call it that, for this to work, is all buffs cast DURING an event must be single target ones unless you WANT to TB it, like after many rezes after an almost wipe, etc.

For most events, there is no need for ANY priest to keep ANY Heal over Time spell mem’d. With a proper Celestial Regen rotation, no cleric or shaman should have to cast any Elixir or Wisp during an entire raid event as long as the event does not last longer than the total rotation time. With 6 clerics, that is almost 24 minutes. Cleric1 TBs CR, 2 min later Cleric2 does, 2 min later Cleric3 does, until Cleric6’s is complete. Then start over with Cleric1 MGBing CR, etc, on down the line. This can totally alleviate any cleric or shaman needing to cast any HoT on their group, and possibly even some druids realizing they don’t need to heal their group, if they’re going to be topped off in a tick or 2 from raidwide HoT. This provides for each and every priest to continue casting more productive spells the entire raid fight. Plus Celestial Regen has zero impact on casting single target heals since it can be cast during global cooldown, unlike Elixirs.

Group heals should be avoided as much as possible, but when they are required, Syllable should be used instead of Word whenever possible (obviously not on some events where curing is needed, like DH1). It’s .6s faster cast time, and the fact that it’s enough to top off group members that are not severely low, allows for the cleric to swap back to single target healing the MT that much faster. Remember, the object is to cast as many heals as possible.
    Adaire, Ylyrra-TP, dalead and 2 others like this.
  3. Nylrem Augur

MULTIBINDING

In order to cast these spells as fast as possible, having zero downtime, a multibind is the easiest way to accomplish this. Everquest has an order of precedence in the way it attempts to accomplish multiple tasks that are assigned to a single key. In the case of multiple spells assigned to that key, it attempts to cast them in order from first to last with how they are ordered in your gems. If you go to options > Keys tab > Select Category: Spell casting you will see how to set a key to cast each spell. So, if you set your targetted heals up in order, from gem 1 to gem 8, then set that Keypress to the same key (that isn’t used for anything else) then you will have created a multibind.

Now, when you press that key over and over, 2-3 times a second, it will attempt to cast gem 1, if that gem is on cooldown, it will attempt to cast gem 2, if that is grey, it will attempt to cast gem 3, etc etc down the line, until it can cast a spell, or they come off global cooldown, in which case it will cast the first one in the line that it comes to that’s not on cooldown. This is the fastest way to cast the best spells possible, in a lineup that have varied cooldown timers, while ensuring that the best one that IS available, is cast first. When done fast, the spell gems will never ungrey.

Pictures of my two main healing multibinds as an example:

‘Raid heal’ setup:

[IMG]

Some events, you cannot use Interventions during some parts of them. When nuking your target’s target is an issue (IE when healing knights that are grabbing agro on mobs that are being mezed, or they are kiting mobs that cannot be damaged or will start summoning) then you cannot use Interventions. During events like that, I use a ‘No Nuke’ setup where my ‘normal’ keybind will not nuke a target, but I have an alternate key, with 2 interventions, that I can utilize when healing the MT/MA. That’s what the ‘Z’ alternate keypress is for, for this setup:

‘No nuke’ setup:

[IMG]

You do not have to use the keys I have used, you can set them to any key that is comfortable for you. If you set them to something that is already assigned, you may have to change that function’s assignment.

The one detriment to using a Max cast multibind is you will use MUCH more mana than you’re used to. Glyph of Lost Secrets, Tome of Manipulation, staying off a mount and using Yaulp AA between spells, and using V.P. and Q.M. when they are available and to begin using them as soon as your mana is low enough to make max use of them is the answer to this. Glyph alone will mostly solve all your mana problems for every raid but Rot, it doesn’t work there.

Once you start using a multibind, and really understand how it works, you will be amazed how easy it is to use. It provides for HUGE improvements in spell casting for those classes that utilize long refresh spells. Pretty much anyone that doesn’t mostly use dots can make great use of a multibind to max their spells cast.

AA SOCIAL HOTKEYS

Most clerics do not use many of their good healing AA, or very rarely. I created a couple social keys to combine them, because I found I was not utilizing them, and figured it would be better to use them possibly when not needed than not use them at all.

So, I created a ‘autocast’ one, which I set on a hotbar and also assigned that hotkey as ‘A’ so it casts these AA between spell casts, if they’re available. I also found I was forgetting to hit Silent Casting just before events were triggered, and since I start my heals on the tank before we engage, I set Silent Casting up on this key as well, so that way I’m always running Silent when we first engage, plus it activates it as soon as it’s available again during an event.
    ‘Autocast’ social:
    /stand
    /alt act 494 (Silent Casting)
    /alt act 137 (Beacon of Life)
    /alt act 7689 (Burst of Life)
    /alt act 463 (Divine Guardian)
    This will automatically make me stand if FD’d, plus cast any of these available AA between casting spells, if they’re available.
    ‘Superheal’ social:
    /pause 1, /alt act 8500 (Healing Frenzy)
    /pause 1, /alt act 997 (Celestial Rapidity)
    /pause 5, /useitem 32 23 (bagged VoA BP click for me)
    /pause 5, /alt act 6488 (Flurry of Life)
    /alt act 706 (Channeling the Divine)

I use this when the MT is going to continue to tank when Last Stand fades, mostly, or whenever seems appropriate. These have 10-15 min cooldown timers. The pauses are there to ensure everything fires, there is a touch of lag to clicking/casting some, and Flurry and Channeling have a short cast time.
    Adaire, Ylyrra-TP, dalead and 2 others like this.
  4. Nylrem Augur

TRIGGERS

Last Stand – ‘for a last stand’ trigger for when a warrior activates it. 3 min timer, I use it to know when to hit ‘superheal’ hotkey, when it’s fading if they still going to continue to tank. Have to be pretty close to the tank to ‘see’ when they use it though.

3rd Spire – ‘<Third Spire of Divinity>’ I use to know when other clerics have hit 3rd spire. It has a 90s timer, to know when to hit next in a rotation.

Yaulp – ‘your surge of strength fades’ to know when to refresh AA yaulp

Imperator’s Command – ‘imperator’s command’ with a 60s timer for when it wears off. Lets you know when you can recast Yaulp. Imperator’s command overwrites yaulp, and is better mana regen then yaulp.

Slain – ‘is slain’ and show the whole line, and will let you know when someone is killed near you. You can then hit your ‘cycle through nearest corpse’ target key, and hit rez AA social between heal casts to rez em.

Shining Bastion – ‘your shining bastion Rk. III spell has worn off of’ and show the whole line, to know when to refresh SB on tanks you’ve put it on.

D.I. – ‘your Divine Interposition Rk. III spell has worn off of’ again, showing whole line, to know who it’s worn off.

GUILD CLERIC TEAM EFFECTIVENESS vs MAX HEALING EFFECTIVENESS

‘Max’ healing, with the multibinds I posted, will get you between 30-31 actual spell cast heals (not including AA, clickies, etc) per 100s. The ‘normal’ cleric that does not multibind only casts 40-50% that many, and they’re almost always the ‘worst’ of our heals.

Also, very few clerics use Divine Avatar, Beacon/Burst of Life, or TB/MGB Celestial Regen and the ones that do, are not very frequently. So, adding some to a social that is same key as your multibind, so that it would auto cast them any time they were available, couldn’t really hurt anything.

Max healing is particularly important vs the ‘superhard’ hitters like Galenth and Kanteer, but, what it also provides for, is the other two priest classes should not have to single target heal at all, with a decent amount of clerics. They should concentrate on DPS, with just the occasional required group heals for their groups. More dps = faster kills = less mana required to heal and DPS = less time for people’s attention to wander/things to happen each event, etc.

Look at a spells cast parse of all your clerics during raid events. If they’re not getting at least 28 or so actual cast heals per 100s (not clickies, AA, etc) on average, then they have some areas they can improve on. Typically what I’ve seen for ‘mid tier’ guilds is less than 50% of max heals provided, when average all clerics spells cast.

OTHER TIPS AND HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON… ERR TANKS

Using auras, and staying in aura range of your tanks, is important. Both auras are a big deal. Standing back and trying to stay away from the mobs is no help to your tanks. Using Silent Casting every time it’s available, plus fading frequently (especially after a MGB), should keep you plenty low on agro.

3rd Spire rotation is huge. 3rd Spire is TGBable, so it should always be on the MT, with 6-7 clerics in raid. Can just do an alpha rotation, and by the time it gets through 7 clerics, it’s reset on the first one again.

Most clerics don’t use Forceful Rejuv AA. It’s a big benefit on the ‘superhard’ hitters, if each cleric were to Ward, heal a few times(while letting Ward use up it’s 8 counters), Forceful Rejuv, then Ward the MT again. Would turn sixteen 40K+ hits to 20K hits per each cleric that did this.

Ensuring Shining Bastion heal proc portion stays on MT is pretty big. 72 procs lasts a good bit, but not real long, especially if there is adds, on the MT.

When possible, assigning a single cleric to continuously spam Anticipated Interposition on the MT while tanking superhard hitters can be very effective in preventing ‘bad’ single round deaths. Because of what I’ve already described about AI, it can turn a ‘should be dead’ melee round to a ‘yay they lived’ round.

Tired/frustrated of your wars getting 1 rounded about 12-18 seconds after they start tanking? Teach them to use Flash properly. A warrior should open with Fortitude, but then, they need to use Flash to ‘bridge the gap’ between Fortitude and Last Stand. When they don’t, is when they can get single round splatted. If you see a warrior that this is happening to often, ensure they know what they can do to prevent it. Also letting them know how important it is they ‘call’ when they’re about to tank something, even trash adds, after they die to lack of heals is important. Eventually, hopefully, they’ll figure out how important that ‘I’m tanking this now’ key is.

Common objections and my rebuttals:
    ‘I can’t dedicate that many gems to just single target healing/2 gems to group heals’-- Assign buffs to specific clerics, don’t mem HoTs, and go ahead and look at a whole raid night’s spells cast parse. If you didn’t cast a spell more than 1% of all casts DURING the event, you don’t need it mem’d, period.

‘I will not take ‘X’ and ‘Y’ spells off my gems even though I know I cast them less than 1%’-- At least get to a point where you’re using Graceful > Fraught > Fervent > Frenzied > Light multibind. That will only require that you cast slow casting Light one in every 8 spells, and put you about 90% of ‘max’ heals per timeframe.
    Viper1, Saroc_Luclin, Adaire and 3 others like this.
  5. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

This guide is amazing, thanks for sharing.

I want to talk about a few things that I do differently, because playing a cleric is way more interesting than people give them credit for. I love talking strategy, and it just doesn't happen often enough. I would be happy if someone can convince me to change my ways.

The best -> worst heal order - I did these calculations again (spreadsheet link) using the heal equation, average focus, crit rate (currently 50% I believe), etc. I didn't include SB/Vie, as no one is going to be spamming those, and the buff spells included need a spell slot devoted to them. I sorted most of our heal spells from 88-100 by the following:
    • Average Healing on 1 PC / Cast Time
    • Average Healing (of the spell) / Cast Time
      - group heals/HoTs were given 3 targets, Splash and IoG get 20 targets. HoTs only get 50% of their max.
    • Average Healing on 1 PC / Total Cast Time (cast + recast with AA etc)
    • Average Healing (of the spell) / Total Cast Time
      - useful mainly for seeing the "value" of a spell over an extended period of time. Helpful for deciding if something is worth the spell slot.
    Results:

[IMG]

The main thing I want to point out, is that things like Ward of Certitude, IoG, and Olsif's have a lower usefulness when it comes down to their recast time. I think this is the reason some clerics avoid them. That being said, we wouldn't have a spellbar with Remedy x12 if we could, because we don't need 12 of them to be busy 100% of the time.

How I fill my spellbar is a balance of two things:
    1 - Single target healing
    2 - Utility / situational spells

When it comes to picking heal spells, cast time is paramount. Remedy is the fastest (0.5), followed by Interventions (1.5), Renewals/Syllable/Splash (1.8), Light (2.2), and WoR/IoG (2.4). I'm sure we agree on this.

My question for you is, can you defend the use of pre VoA spells (Celestial Intervention / Frenzied Renewal), considering they have the same cast time as other spells that can often be substituted in (Syllable and Splash), and their healing/time drops off considerably compared to many of our other spells? My preference is to use the RoF/VoA spells, and substitute in Syllable & Splash when able, as the speed difference (0.3s every 30 seconds) is not a huge deal when I am saving 2 spell slots.

For reference, this is my normal raid lineup:

1 - Graceful Remedy
    2 - Virtuous Intervention
    3 - Elysian Intervention
    4 - Fraught Renewal
    5 - Fervent Renewal
    6 - Olsif's Retort / WoR / cures
    7 - Ward of Certitude
    8 - Reforming Splash
    9 - Issuance of Grace
    10 - Elixir of the Acquittal / buffs
    11 - Syllable of Renewal
    12 - Divine Interposition

In defense of spamming Splash, this is what my healing / time looked like for 20 minutes of a ToR raid:

[IMG]

My average healing was 29k per heal that landed. This graph is out of 393 heals cast. The max healing on a single cast was a Splash for 480k. I was casting 31 heals per 100s as per your post.

My next question is about your Autocast social (Silent Casting + instant heal AAs + DG) - if the tank has DG/Guardian's Grace already, isn't autocasting this in between spells a bad idea? Silent Casting has a 1.6s cast time, DG is 1.5. Honestly I never use SC unless I'm using undead nukes. This just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. If the tank already had DG, my AA is down for 5 minutes. If the tank has Guardian's Grace, DG bounces and I could have DG'd someone else.

Can you explain how this works? Do you also get NPC deaths with this trigger?

I think Anticipated Interposition is a terrible spell, and I would be happy to have someone convince me otherwise. AI is a 31k heal upon a 21k hit, with a 3.5s cast time. That's 9k HP/sec, and is the worst time efficiency of any spell we have. If I were to spam it on a paladin (36k HP/sec), it would be about half as efficient as Remedy (73k HP/sec), and we're not even guaranteed they're taking 21k+ hits. I can see it being useful in a preemptive heal situation (i.e. before engaging Kanteer/Galenth), but that's about it. I'd much rather have that cleric using normal spells, even if some land for 0.
    Adaire and Iila like this.
  6. Crystilla Augur

I wanted to add one thing to those wondering why we even carry 2 (much less 3) f_renewal spells.

One big reason is specifically sanctified blessing - this AA line adds a 12-13k heal (25k when it crits) and it is triggered by any curing spells. Fraught renewal, fervent renewal, (any pre VoA f_renewal spells), etc. will trigger this.

So when you add the quick cast time on top of a decent heal value PLUS this extra large heal from a proc, it can become pretty powerful.

Add to that using channeling the divine and 1 cast of Fraught renewal could heal for 250k between the components of it and the more f_renewal spells up you have, the more powerful healing you can do. Using healing frenzy then as a secondary disc once channeling runs off extends the focus. And of course using flurry of life to boost up even more.
    Ylyrra-TP likes this.
  7. Crystilla Augur

Regarding AI, I keep it up full time and do reapply it on raids, but I'm the only one really for my guild. Call it the utility cleric mentality (from days of old). None of our events are short and often many of them require multiple tanking at the same time and the more recent raids we are learning have a fair # of tank deaths, so I keep it up to reapply it so when that next wave of adds comes in, it is a quick booster before the heals start happening on them.

So I do very much see the value of at least one cleric in each raid playing a similar role (if you have healers you can spare for a few seconds or have a healer who also already has this mentality to rebuff before new waves comes).
  8. Roxxanna Augur

Awesome, and the Sanctified Blessing thing never even occurred to me, will be using that from now on too.
  9. Kreacher Augur

When you're doing these sorts of calculations then it is important to include the global refresh time of 1.5secs. Without it, you get the figures above, which seems to indicate that Remedy is ~50% better than Fraught Renewal when in reality they are a lot closer together.
    It doesn't overly change anything you've written.

It's a very good guide. Thanks.
  10. Nylrem Augur

Yes, for slain, you get everything that dies, NPC and PCs. Their name is first though, so when I see a PC name, is when I hit /hidecorpse npc hotkey, cycle through nearest corpse key, and rez.

I'm often in a knight group but healing MT war much of the time, is why I'm not fond of syllable in single target lineup.

My two issues with Splash is the 'recovery time not yet met' garbage and it disappearing from cursor that happens when you try and click it on a spot during global cooldown. That irritates me to no end. Plus, it's not even half as good at healing a single target as other single target heals. For the same cast time, even Frenzied is more than 100% better vs a single target. Most guilds I've been in don't have too much trouble keeping non-tanks alive. It's the MT/OT/RT dying that's the problem. Mainly, because far too many clerics think that spamming slow casting Light/Word is 'good' healing.

For healing, yes, AI is terrible. If you have 6 clerics max healing plus 2-4 other priests though, a 7th cleric is not going to benefit the MT hardly at all. What they CAN do, is prevent a 1 round death though, with AI. We no longer have a problem now that we're doing 3rd spire rotations, have geared tanks, etc, but Galenth used to be a monster for us, tanks getting 1 rounded all the time, even under Last Stand. We no longer have that issue, our MT single tanks him all the way through, for up to 3 minutes after Last Stand fades even, but we assign 1 cleric (a 7th, usually for us) to just spam AI on him.

I'm sure your guild has super clerics. This post was meant more for the 'mid-tier' clerics (the vast majority, unfortunately) that think they heal well by just spamming Light/Word mainly with only occasionally casting faster heals.

We just went through a guild merge, so this is the 3rd one I've been in, in last 3 years, and in every single one the majority of the clerics spammed slow casting Lights/group heals as their main thing, and only occasionally cast fast heals. They all thought they were 'good' healers and, it's my belief, had no idea how much better they could be doing, multibinding fast heals. Each time, after posting a similar post to this in guild forums, we've had a great improvement. I just wanted all clerics, in all guilds, to understand what the difference is.

There have been several cleric posts alluding to how to multibind, how good Graceful, Interventions, and F_ Renewal spells are, but not one that I found that spelled it out, in step by step terms, or compared it to just how much better it is to multibind in fast heals vs casting slower ones.

My 2 cents about out activated AA and 'big' heals.... our activated AA aren't to twincast 250k F_ Renewal spells... 1.5s, a whopping 17% faster cast time than without Rapidity, on a heal that 99% of the time would top the tank off even without activated AA....

OR

40% decreased cast time, .3s twincasted and boosted Gracefuls now healing for a guaranteed 115-130k...
    Adaire likes this.
  11. Nylrem Augur

Actually, 'true' global refresh, because of server lag, ping, or whatever you want to call it, is actually almost 1.9s. Use a stopwatch and cast 100 lights, see how long it takes you.

However, global refresh timer is irrelevant. A healer's goal is not to see how much they can heal over time on an always low HP pool. It is not the same as nuking a mob down. A healer's goal is to keep their target as high of HP as possible, all the time.

The best way to do that is to cast the fastest cast heals you can, that are big enough to accomplish that. If 6 clerics are casting Graceful as often as possible, without even 1 second between a heal landing on a tank, then Graceful is enough to do that.
  12. Iila Augur

That's going to vary based on your ping to the servers. Someone living in California will have a lower effective gcd than someone living in England (and playing on a non-AB server). So giving a "corrected" gcd is only really going to apply to people who share a similar ping to yours.
    Enkel likes this.
  13. dalead Elder

Very nice writeup indeed. My raid lineup is a little different.

1.Glorious (Admittedly this is largely a wasted slot for most raids)
    2.Renewal
    3.Renewal
    4.Renewal
    5.Remedy
    6.Light
    7.Group heal (Diff key)
    8.Group Hot (Diff key-Yes I do keep one up, even though I cast 2 rounds of CR every fight, my other clerics don't)
    9.Cert/Symbol/whatever
    10.Ward
    11.Shining
    12.DI

I also like the 'Autocast' social hotkey above and might give it a shot, but I do tend to save those for my "Oh crap" moments.

I've been trying to beat into my other clerics that trying to chain cast Light is just horrible for raid healing. I still have it in my lineup, but it will only cast when everything else is down.

I don't put ward in my bind as it sucks to waste it on a non tank if you have to throw them a quick heal.

I also don't use splash. I leave that to the pallies. Theirs is much better anyway.

I have a different spell lineup with Interventions, but on normal raids I don't use in case I have to throw a quick heal on other tanks who may be dry tanking mobs, aggro building mezzed mobs etc... Best to leave those at home.
  14. Casidia Augur

A+ Naylem, the more clerics realize that Light is not a good spell the better.
    But why i am actually posting...i would be interested how you guys and gals bind the "super heal" AAs.
    Currently i have Rapidity + Channeling for oh moments, and click Frenzy and Flurry separate in times where i think that i want just a bit more healing. But that was put together without much thought, would love to hear other suggestions.
  15. Crystilla Augur

For Casidia,

I manually select the AA's I want (no binding) because I want the full control over their usage. I'm definitely no expert and tend to use all of these AA's much more often than any other cleric in guild save one. (It's something I've tried to point out, but as the adage goes, you can take a horse to water but can't make them drink.)

For the non struggling events, I generally use Flurry of Life and Celestial Rapidity together (Flurry clicked first since Rapidity has a shorter duration). Since Rapidity is only 10 min reuse and Flurry is 15, Rapidity can then be up for those 'oh crap' moments if they do happen.

I save Channeling and Frenzy either for those 'oh crap' moments or when we're weaker on healing or working a tough event. For the tougher events, those are the final boss in WK2 and our learning on Bayle raid (I haven't seen the Argin raid yet though guild has attempted it one night so far).

So from an actual raid event perspective (as a knight healer):

• WK1 - don't generally use any of the AA's, though if I do, it's Flurry of Life and Celestial Rapidity together.
    • WK2 - Use all 4 activated AA's I have on the final boss.
    • DH1 - Use Flurry of Life and Celestial Rapidity together on Xulous if needed (our healers, including me have a high % chance of kiting the aura lol)
    • DH2 - Use Flurry of Life and Celestial Rapidity on Kanteer, will add in Channeling or Frenzy if needed
    • Bixie1 - Use Flurry of Life and Celestial Rapidity when it's up specifically for the wave add spawns (add in Channeling or Frenzy only if needed)
    • Bixie2 - Use Flurry of Life and Celestial Rapidity as often as it's up (the way we group healers/tanks is not my favorite on both bixie events, so I take any extra healing boost help I can get)
    • Neriak1 - Use Flurry of Life and Celestial Rapidity and (Channeling or Frenzy) if I'm healing the Nightmare Devourer tank, following up with the other one once it runs its course (generally don't need these if I'm healing Bonecrusher tank, so I then wait and use these once we just have ND left)
    • Neriak2 - Pop Flurry of Life and Celestial Rapidity when either our weaker warrior is tanking Prince OR the warrior who parses healing is tanking Prince (I admit that's silly here lol), then add in Channeling or Frenzy on the later half of the fight once discs are down for the warriors in the rotation.
    • ToR (Bayle) - I use Flurry of Life and Celestial Rapidity any time they're up. We're still learning this event though we've gotten to the 5% lock a few times so far. Critical here is I also use Silent Casting and Divine Peace often in that latter part of the raid.
  16. gnomeboss Augur

i use the heal aa when i'm healing a mt who links a heal parse. =)
    Crystilla likes this.
  17. Nylrem Augur

Dalead -

Assuming you're casting Glorious every time it's available, with that lineup, you're only landing 15 heals every 100s on average. Sure, they're big heals, many of them twincasted Renewals, but... what's the point? Are your tanks at negative 80k hp when your heals are landing?

As I said, more than half of any cleric's heals are landing when the tank is more than 80% hp. So your 15 heals per 100s, although on average are CAPABLE of healing much more, they're mostly wasted.

You're healing 50% of what you could be doing.

You could drop the glorious and all the renewals, and be healing at 19 heals per 100s just spamming Graceful/Light, or 22% more heals than you're doing with that lineup. Put Graceful as the top heal though, and you'll GREATLY increase your number of heals cast.

I cannot stress how crucial it is to put Graceful as your top heal, in a multibind, to max the number of heals per timeframe cast.
  18. Ylyrra-TP Journeyman

Wow.. amazing writeup. I have resisted using a multi-bind heretofore. No one ever explained it quite so thoroughly, so I didn't see the point. After reading this, that is changing. Thank you!
  19. Nylrem Augur

I would like someone with a good internet connecton, living in California, to spam a 1.5s refresh spell as fast as they can (Light, 'Vida, whatever), 100 times, including the 100th cast GCD of the spell, divide the total time by 100, then subtract the spell's cast time. The remaining time is your average global cooldown.

Then tell us what the 'real' global cooldown is, even when living in California. Everyone always claims it's 1.5s just because someone, or some data somewhere, says it's supposed to be.

Fastest I can get on the east coast is 1.86s @ 99ms.
  20. Nylrem Augur

It's not just clerics that heal bad, the exact same principles apply to druids and shaman as well.

Unfortunately, druid heal lines share timers so they can't use older fast casting heals the way a cleric can, but still, a druid that just spams Sterivida is only doing about 60% of what they could do when healing, if they multibind Vivication > Rush > Vida.

Not familiar enough with the Shaman lineup, if their fast cast heals share timers, etc, but theirs is similar. They also have fast casting single target heals they could utilize in a multibind for more heals per timeframe.

Multbinding faster casting, longer refresh heals before slow heals adds a much greater amount to heals cast per timeframe. Which is primarily all that matters, when strictly healing.

For another example: 12 priests that cast @ 50% max heals (we'll say 15 heals per 100s), for a 1000s event = 1800 heals during that event. Or, 8 priests, max healing (30 heals per 100s) = 2400 heals in the same timeframe (133% better than the 12 priests). Which tank do you think has a higher chance to die? Is very few events where a tank gets 1 rounded. They die from lack of frequency of heals, going 2 melee rounds without a heal. Very rarely is it due to something other than that. 2400 heals vs 1800 heals, which would you want if you were the tank?