Holly quote.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Symbius, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBear Augur

As long as we are defining stuff:

Casual -
    Adj: not regular or permanent, in particular
    Noun: a person who does something irregularly

A casual in a game as in deep and broad as EQ doesn't ever need (nor should they expect) to see endgame raid content.
  2. Vaclav Augur

I'd agree 100% - I didn't get to see ZMTZ or beyond pre-tune but it was definitely fun although "out of whack" in my mind too. [Lets just say - spending ages on BiC and asking an officer for it at least three times for the Qvic piece what was stated as "probably the last time the guild will do it" - and then having that officer award both pieces to his friends that hadn't even started it (and we would have been done up through ZMTZ that night if we beat him [which they did] since I already had Inktu'ta on the wife and I) was a BIT of a trigger - one and only time I got booted from a guild.... still friends with most of them now that the idiot officer is a thing of the past though]
  3. Gregolo Augur

I'll help you.
    • You don't need to mass recruit, you just need a guild people actually want to be in. If you make your guild focused around being happy friends in casual hello kitty adventure island. That's who you're going to attract. Top guilds don't actively recruit, they passively recruit.
    • You seem like you think people sock targets 24/7. They don't. We play Smite/League of Legends/Etc while we wait for spawns if we're ever in a position where we actually need to wait for spawns. Attendance is usually taken every hour or so just to keep honest people honest.

I'll give you some organization pointers.
    1. When you see a target die in global, you now know it's window. Congratulations, do something with it.
    2. When you know the windows, you'll know what is most likely to spawn next, use this information
    3. If your guild is opposed to batphones, that sucks. Try twitter, email. etc.
  4. Hexaholic Augur

Then classic EQ raiding is not for you. Simple as that.
  5. Endtimes Elder

This isn't something to be proud of . At the end of the day it's just a game and you're only accomplishment is that you've wasted time
    Agrippa likes this.
  6. Finchy Augur

All raiding is for me, always has been always will be.
  7. MBear Augur

Maybe I am missing some context but he said he does all that and still enjoys the end game. Why does that make EQ not the game for him? Sounds to me like it is exactly the game for him if he can manage his time that well.
  8. Ceffener Augur

Please explain how it changed the context of what was posted.
  9. Gregolo Augur

I'll be proud of whatever accomplishment I deem fit to be proud of. You trying to determine what someone else should or should not take pride in, is absolutely comical. You want people to take you seriously? Try harder.

Point is, Holly is 100% correct when she says organized guilds get more targets. We're proof of this. Sucks to suck I suppose.
  10. Rauven Augur

Here's my question: Why should casuals have access to everything? Better yet, why DON'T casuals have access to everything?

What I mean by that is what defines a casual?

Is it a player who only plays 3 hours a day?
    Is it a player who isn't as fast/skilled/knowledgeable as another player who is?
    Is a player who isn't as committed to the game?
    Is it a combination of any of or all of the above?

Also why is competition a bad thing?

When you play Basketball in the park, someone wins and someone loses.
    When you play Paintball, you get shot up, or you don't.
    When you do MMA-style sparring you either win or you're tapping out.

I don't understand the revulsion of players against competitive mechanics in these games. There's tons of content in this game right now. And people are getting bent out of shape over, a kedge, two dragons, two gods, and a fairy dragon thing. That is 6 named encounters out of dozens.

We even have players in the top end guilds spooked about how hard the raid encounters will be. As if they think/believe/know their dominance is in jeopardy.

So not only do we have many players balking at the idea of competitive play. We have top end players not wishing to have competition with others and just wish to rest on their laurels. Course not everyone fits in one of those two categories. But lets be honest.. we're speaking out enough.

What I do find hilarious is in another thread I mentioned this fact:

"Those who are not raiding, do not need raid gear."

I was ridiculed. I was told that would never happen.

Then the Lead Producer says something similar and you all go ballistic. How about taking me seriously and engaging in a discussion next time instead of trolling? You might get your voice heard before a policy and practice gets set in stone. This isn't the first time something I suggested has gone (or will go) into the game. It probably won't be the last.

This is what I say.

Whether you are Casual or Hardcore, prove to the MMORPG community that you are an Everquest player. That these little challenges are NOTHING to you. Be better than the World of Warcraft player, like you claim to be.

Learn your Class
    Stop getting PL'd
    Earn your gear, don't just buy it.
    Play the game, don't just AFK through it
    Group with others.
    Raid with others.
    and Drop these bosses, no matter how hard they get.

For the love of Norrath, stop doing stuff that gets you laughed at by WoW players.
    Rhiyannon and MBear like this.
  11. DBCooper Elder

If you guys were so skilled and amazing you wouldn't have all quit long ago when your guilds failed or couldn't progress, then come back to bottom feed in easy content and pretend you're amazing.

You know, that decade+ of time where everything was instanced and the only real roadblock to progression was yourselves? You know, the time most of you failed and went home crying?

Logging on at 4am, staying online in sky or fear all day long waiting for trash repops, sitting for 8 hours on top of naggy/vox with 200 other people from 2-3 guilds waiting to incinerate them with as many bombs/harm touches as they can while people try and time mem blurs, etc etc etc takes ZERO skill.

It takes a lot of excess time you're willing to sit around doing nothing at all.

Considering these servers were advertised as nostalgia for people who had quit long ago, literally those words in emails, maybe its not insane to think that instancing the content to allow anyone who has the ability to kill it, can kill it, to experience *gasp* nostalgia would be fun (and profitable).

I don't give 2 ****s if its instanced or not. Its a diversion for me (I'm level 30 atm, not even trying), even though my guild is one of the ones fighting yours over crap (only by virtue of being in the real guild on live), and I have lambasted people whining about not being able to kill the stuff because they couldn't get there in force before others, but that's because its a consequence of the way the game is.

But insulting everyone and saying they shouldn't be able to because they are "casuals" is despicable, particularly if they actually considered instancing the junk. Silly me, I thought the reason it wasn't changed to be more accessible to people not mainlining red bull was because they wouldn't waste resources changing the code, not because they didn't want to serve the filthy casuals. There is nothing exclusive about killing Nagafen. People have been killing it daily for SIXTEEN YEARS. The whole thing is stupid, short sighted, and lame.

And you certainly talk big for someone that spent a lot of time in everquest not sniffing being in a competitive end game guild (like, you know, almost the entire decade or whatever you were posting on TSW).
    Sheex, Grishkalur, Owndar and 3 others like this.
  12. MBear Augur

Think you quoted the wrong post maybe?
    My post was just defining more words after you defined context I defined casual.
    Seems like quite a few people on this thread haven't actually read them so they should read both your post and my post.
  13. Vaclav Augur

You are, and I'd agree you should get MOST kills but ~95% (or perhaps even higher) is out of whack with an appropriate amount of "most".

There should be a definite edge from organization - not complete denial of access. 50% of stuff while the rest of the server squabbles over the rest? Great. ~95%? There's a glitch in the Matrix.

I actually have a semi-pitch for a concept - a handful of "Casual Days" (or whatever - using her term for it) each month set up for each server where there's actually a CS member (or Dev masquerading as one) that force spawns of zones for guilds to get their own playground a few times a month. One guild at a time - perhaps some limitations on it. Not instancing with uncontrolled items entering the world - but a chance for each guild serious enough to qualify to get at least a few shots at targets during the appropriate era no matter whatever other toxicity happens the rest of the time. [I'd personally pitch it as an every other weekend thing - both Saturday and Sunday - with say 4 guilds "served" a day that there's some sort of rotation on - and if a guild fails at their try at it? Next guild in line gets theirs - no hand holding with multiple tries]

I know I as someone who's tried to be a voice between hardcores and casuals - would be remiss if I never got to fight all the content with my guild and friends when its era appropriate - regardless of loot. (Frankly, I don't personally care about anything outside of some Sky quests until late Velious and even then I wouldn't lose sleep over most Velious or Luclin stuff)
    Hateseeker likes this.
  14. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

well im glad you are the arbiter of all that is good and worthy. id tell you to get off your high horse but im pretty sure you're fused to it.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  15. Endtimes Elder

LOL@ Detheb getting owned again
  16. DBCooper Elder

You mean you still did the content, because it was instanced, and therefore you could, else it would have been locked out by the better guild and you would never have seen it. How you could possibly think your comparison is valid is a joke. You just reinforced the fairness in letting these casuals try their luck at it.
  17. Gregolo Augur

I'll happily encourage getting that number to even 0% by means of something other than instancing. I want a reason to go full tryhard.
  18. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

you digust me.
    Sheex likes this.
  19. Kellaer Augur

I seriously can't believe that the executive producer for Everquest 1 and 2 just used casuals as a pejorative, like everybody else. This is the world we live in.
    Gumlakx and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  20. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Agreed, it's like someone hating Christmas morning. C'mon now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.