Holly quote.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Symbius, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

was it? i didnt notice.
  2. Banuvan Augur

I got a warning for calling somebody a casual so apparently you have to be the exe prod or TL to get away from it cause they seem to do it quite often with no repercussions.
    Gumlakx and Rhiyannon like this.
  3. Dreftan Elder

When I first read the quote I honestly thought it was someone trolling with a fake comment.... Wow.. just wow....
    Gumlakx and Rhiyannon like this.
  4. DBCooper Elder

http://roiguild.org/

Found it a few years ago.
  5. Naelbis Elder

Holly is lucky that DBG doesn't give a crap about CSR or PR...because in my business if my lead salesman had made a comment that upset a huge portion of my customer base I would be looking for a new one. Customer relations, successful businesses have it and dying relics like DBG don't.
  6. Greymere Augur

Ultimately money talks, when feedback falls on deaf ears. To be clear for my own part I have participated in 5 Vox and Nagafen raids and 3 times Hate one Phinny and 2 times cleared Fear/Sky, so I am apparently not "casual" by definition. The difference between myself and some posting is I believe there should be reasonable opportunities within the constraints of maintaining a semblance of difficulty and loot scarcity for as many players as possible to "enjoy" what the game has to offer. Rather than empowering the worst player community elements to make content scarce.

There is nothing enjoyable about associating or being forced to associate with antisocial griefers, which is what Holly is calling the teams decision to support contested spawns. Absent an enforcement mechanism to maintain fairplay in the endgame scene, all this position offers is the developers saying the griefing is how the game is expected to be played, until they prove otherwise which they have not done.
  7. Lawyer Augur

Holly said in the article ...

... and I laughed out loud. A guffow, you'd call it.

Holly, "DPS racing" and "toxic contention" are the skill and strategy you're celebrating. Those are the characteristics of the Lockjaw and Ragefire end-game today.

Do you understand what a "DPS race" is? DPS means Damage Per Second. It doesn't mean "Dedication Per Strategy" nor "Drama Per Server." And DPS certainly doesn't mean "De-subs Pays Salary". It means the most firepower wins. That's not strategy. Not even close.

And a DPS Race also means you have to be logged on and ready when the "mob" (we still call them mobs, even this many years after Diku MUD) pops. Not being logged on at 3am means no DPS.

Do you play your competitors games and understand why they have millions of subscribers? It's because the DPS races in those games are against the content, not against some other poor schlub who stayed up to 3am and just happens to be in the other guild.

Do you understand what toxic contention is? It is guilds using every trick in the books to make sure they get the kill. Without a Play Nice Policy -- you know, all the money being saved on not having adequate referees -- everything tends to happen. Or is alleged to happen, which is its own kind of toxin. You might as well have just made this a Player vs. Player server and been done with it.

In short, the only skills needed (1) having enough firepower online at the right times, real life be damned; and (2) creative foul-play.

(Note, I do not accuse any particular guild of foul-play -- I'm just saying -- that's what you get in this recipe.)

I wouldn't conflate scarcity with "better"ness or "strategic"ness. DBG might as well just put a mob in the instance that takes krono and spawns Naggy or Vox, and have real world money drive scarcity. Then we can just call "casual" people "poor" people, and be done with it.

I came back to EQ for nostalgia, and with the hopes of experiencing raiding this old content again. Now it appears I'm too casual to warrant your consideration.
  8. Gregolo Augur

Does it really upset you to be called casual if you play casually?
  9. Aghinem Augur

[IMG]
  10. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Or she's the worst PR person to ever be allowed to take the mic. BP might hire her for the next rig explosion, though.
  11. Ceffener Augur

Not wanting to participate in GVGPVP has no bearing on your play time.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  12. Gregolo Augur

Stop confusing being casual with playtime and you'll be better for it.
  13. Ceffener Augur

So now casual is defined only as someone who does not raid in a DPS PVP rule set?
    Rhiyannon and Elkay like this.
  14. Vaclav Augur

Here's the thing though, plenty of people DON'T want to - I personally got ulcers from my time in Cypher on Stromm doing the stuff you guys are to Realm of Insanity in their first incarnation lead by Xygon. It felt great to win, but the fact that I had friends in the competition (since I do shockingly make tons of friends being this way - strong opinions, but at it's heart because I care about both sides - or as an ancient friend currently in TL just called me today "The EQLive forums Ghandi" - lol) really tore me up emotionally once I got over my sociopathy that I used to suffer from as a young adult. [I used to be a complete robot emotionally - I guess after the tenth year or so being with the same wife (that comes from a stereotypically anxiety ridden genetic background) that emotions, especially those involving guilt started to rub off]

I agree 110% that the OPTION of doing that should continue to exist eternally - there should be awesome rewards, more frequent spawns, titles, fanfare music blaring whenever Gregolo the Mighty enters the zone or whatever for doing the contested content - but there's plenty of us that don't want to beat another human or be beaten by one. (Because we either feel guilty about beating them or because we lost)

No one is saying to take away the type of gameplay that appeals to aggressive personality types like yours (and my own past [and present to a limited degree I control in-game 99% of the time]) - most are in fact saying the opposite, they want alternate content to experience the enjoyment of defeating the game as a PVE title, not as a PVE with PVP elements.
  15. Gregolo Augur

The [Casual<->Hardcore] scale is how serious you take Everquest, as a hobby.

I play 5-8 hours a week and I'm one of the top 3 best geared Shaman on the server. If you go by playtime, I'm casual. In reality, I'm not.
  16. Naelbis Elder

No, I am used to not being "hardcore" because this is a GAME and ergo takes a backseat to RL. But I play quite a few hours a week and always log in with a goal in mind. I am merely observing that this is a HUGE PR mistake on her part that both tarnishes their company reputation and most likely cost them revenue. Both of which are major errors for someone in her position and would likely lead to termination in many industries. I won't see current raid content for a while not because I don't want to or can't handle it, but because I don't want to deal with the cesspool you idiots have made it. If that makes me a casual, so be it.
  17. Gregolo Augur

Can...

Can I have this?

Please.

I want the walls along the zone-lines to shoot sparklers and stuff a la Ric Flair.
    Chanaluss likes this.
  18. Endtimes Elder

It's fun when you're playing , I'll only agree to that much . But when you turn the game off, take a step back from it all , I think there is nothing to be proud of.

These are just games, something to do when you want to waste time ,when there's nothing else important to do.

And that's the whole point in my opinion , Got some time to waste? log on and kill a few hours and try to have fun doing so.

What's comical is when people beat their chest about it and act like they've really set the world on fire because they downed some video game boss.

Get some perspective and stop taking yourself so seriously , It is just a game and you are just wasting time.
  19. Elkay Augur

20. Polekn Augur

Devs (Aristo) tried to sell this idea about competition on TLP servers before they opened. It was clear to everyone who played on any TLP before that he just did not have time/desire/resources to work on any real solution. Looks like Holly actually bought it and thought it was good for game. I can not think of any other explanation. Obviously she knows nothing about state of end game of TLP servers. Even TL PR crew does not call it "strategy".
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.