GRR...! PvP Server Option for Firiona Vie

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Eridiniara, Feb 4, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. code-zero Augur

2. Knifen Augur

code-zero likes this.
  3. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

A higher level killing someone over and over and over so the lower level one cannot do anything other than 'loading please wait'. It would be someone 100+ camping by the spot in Crescent Reach where new characters (level 10 or lower) appear just to kill them. It would be someone one 120+ camping the PoK book in Overthere to slaughter someone lower coming in to level. In the days when your stuff would stay on the corpse and there was no summon to the guild lobby, corpse camping was also a form of griefing, where the assailant would camp by the corpse of the one they killed so they could kill them again when they try to get their stuff. Back in the aughts (and would likely be the same on a TLP), higher level gangs of an opposing team would go into the the low level grounds to slaughter the new characters there unless they were protected by another gang of the same team.

Basically anything to disrupt the games of other players and give them "grief".
  4. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

No, there weren't. PvP has always been pretty much the smallest group in EQ. They tried repeatedly to garner more interest in PvP from 2003 onwards by doing events and adding bonuses on the PvP server. None of them increased the population.
  5. Shadowlance New Member

Umm, No, you're uninformed as 4 or 5 servers dedicated, at one time, to PvP in no way reflects the sentiment of your reply
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And there was still more servers dedicated to the PvE game at that point in time and those didn't get merged into a single server due to PvP being popular. Just because we had more servers 20 years ago doesn't mean that it will work today.
  7. Shadowlance New Member

8. Shadowlance New Member

I believe all of the Live servers have been Merged to date.... You're just not taking into account the affect the creation of "Mercs" had on the PvP population... they all left the game after
  9. Shadowlance New Member

It seems that an option the DeVs may have to resolve all of the PvP issues is to incorporate the P99 "Priest of Order" resolution to the PvP "Priest of Discord" quest and not only no beneficial spells from PvE players, but "NO" "Mercenaries" once.., while you are PvP......

https://wiki.project1999.com/Priest_of_Order
    Barton-Vox likes this.
  10. Barton-Vox Fizzlethorpe Rules !!

Adding an NPC to Remove the PVP flag and or adding a quest to the Priest of Discord to do so has been suggested multiple times by many people for years.

I have no clue why the Devs won't do this.
    Then every server is a PVP server if players want to do so and when they get tired of it they can flag back to non pvp
    Shadowlance likes this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

What is the point when there are only a handful of players who want it.

I guess they could just disable mercs on zek, if that would keep them happy.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Just as with going PvP on a PvE server now, who would be the targets for the PvPers? Only a small handful do the switch to red now. I suspect the number who would do so if they had a way to go back to PvE -might- go up marginally, but they would likely still be the minority on the server. Would it be that beneficial to spend time (and money) on developing that reverse switch for only a handful of players?
    Yinla likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Mercs didn't get added to the game until SoD which was 2008 or 3.5 years after all the PvP servers got merged into a single one in early 2005. It doesn't matter that they have done a lot of other server merges the fact is that in 2005 the PvP population was only able to support a single server which has never been true for the non PvP servers.
    Yinla, Rijacki and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

RZ, TZ, VZ, & SZ were all merged into a single Zek server. Prior to the merger the 4 PvP servers were by far the lowest population servers in the game. After the merger they might have been mid. None of the PvP servers were holding themselves up by the time the mergers occurred.
    The first round of mergers had the larger servers merging with smaller ones, the European servers were all merged into AB, the smallest US PvE server Solusek Ro was merged into the largest server Bristlebane, and so on till you had the servers which were about the same size as each other like Tunare & E`ci merged together. There was a second set of mergers a number of years after the first one, but there has not been one since because the second one was more detrimental than positive. The only mergers that happen anymore are when TLP servers reach the more modern expansions and have lost the people who just yoyo between them or the TLP server catches up completely with Live.

PvP was dead in EQ 5 years before mercs were even introduced. They repeatedly tried to do things to get people to try it, even free server transfers and special gear, none of it worked. The PvP people left EQ long before Mercs. They left EQ for games that were actually designed around the idea of PvP rather than PvE, which happened when WoW and several other games came out. Mercs are not the reason why Zek has been a dead end for 15+ years.
    Yinla and Rijacki like this.
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You honestly have no clue as to why? I am quite sure that the main reason is the ability to exploit changing. Revert, get buffs, change to Red, piss some other red, change back to blue so that they cannot bother you.
    Rijacki likes this.
  16. Shadowlance New Member

LOL, jeez i guess they may only go PvP once huh? and unless they are there, camping at the Priest of Order or the Priest of Discord, of which there are many... i dunno u tell me.... lol , not to mention, but... ya know POK even on Zek is neutral....

BTW.., just to be clear you can still get buffs and and help from other PvPers..... even during a fight if you are PvP it is not a "DUEL" I dun even believe the Game Mechanics of a "Duel" prevent help from other players.., though i would not know as I have never done so as I have always been on PvP servers for the most part....
  17. Barton-Vox Fizzlethorpe Rules !!

That is a really really really poor reason for not having opt in and out pvp
    I would suggest the angry person get over it, and not opt in to pvp if they cannot control their emotions
  18. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

There are far more PvEers on non-PvP servers even when the option to enable PvP on your character was in the inventory of every new character (before you had to request the book from the PoD, it was in the new character inventory). PvPers can get buffs from PvPers, yes, but when there are fewer PvPers there aren't as many available to buff. Plus PvEers cannot be attacked by PvPers. A PvPer getting a buff from a PvPer is 'fair' because that buffer can be attacked.

IF they were to add a mechanism to switch in either direction, it should also strip all buffs, like personna swapping, when switching from one to the other (though really only needed going to PvP, just easier in both direction). Who knows, that might have been the final reason they didn't implement the switch.

Though, how many development hours should they take away from other upcoming features and/or bug fixes to implement something only a handful of players might even use?
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why should it strip buffs when there are a limited number of areas that you can switch from if it is limited to a Priest of Discord and most of those are in the starting cities.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

People being able to exploit it to grief and harass other people is the literal best reason to not allow it.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Yinla like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.