GamParse 2.0!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Beimeith, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Beimeith Lord of the Game

In Progress, available Soon(tm)!.

It will be an almost full rewrite of the internals. This will allow for much easier maintenance and the ability to do a lot of other cool things.

With that in mind, if you have a suggestion for something you would like to see, please post it in this thread and we will consider adding it in. Keep in mind we are limited by the information in the log files...so we can't do something like parse other peoples' heals or anything.
    IblisTheMage, Quatr, Axxius and 4 others like this.
  2. Fenudir Augur

1.5.1.3 does me just fine so I can't think of anything.

All I really ask is that you keep the code tight.
  3. Raynard Augur

It would be very nice to put start and end sliders on the dps graph that then breaks out into a full analysis of that time window.
    Vrinda, Brogett, Iila and 1 other person like this.
  4. Leex Pewpewer

Is there anyway to keep track of Bard songs on the spells & disc tab?
    Rcalielie likes this.
  5. Brudal Augur

The ability to import others parses into a single true consolidated parse. As a melee I can never seem to give an accurate caster parse, part of the reason I didn't feel like I was so far behind; I was wrong.
  6. Beimeith Lord of the Game

There is already a 1.5.1.4, you just don't have it yet! Always improvements to be had.

That is one of the goals. Gam by his own admission was a novice when he started working on it, and I am as well, though I've been getting better. Some of the other people helping are a lot more experienced and that helps a lot.

Being able to adjust the fight parameters is one of the goals. Graphing in real time is another.

No.

We considered it, but it isn't really feasible for a number of reasons.
  7. Aelen Augur

Search or table options for graph output values? With enough melee values from a long enough parse I used to have melee values no longer display.

It does look like that's been fixed, but being able to sort somehow by frequency would make it more readable.
  8. Slasher Augur

I'm still using 1.0.3 :)
  9. Brogett Augur

Tango! had some interesting features, such as the ability to pick two players and graph their dps on top of each other, or to annotate the graph with labels for when the discs started. (I'm not so interested in the latter but the former was occasionally really helpful.) For graphing it used something called ZedGraph.dll.

I can't find Tango! now, but wayback machine has a bit https://web.archive.org/web/20080819222945/http://personaluse.org/tango/cs/ sadly incomplete though.

I do still have a working copy of v0.5.2 though.
    Stomped and Khoza like this.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You'll need to explain that more. I'm not sure what you mean.

And there are still people using Windows 9x to browse the internet, but I don't recommend people do either of those.

Both of those could be done.
    Ssdar and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  11. Zentara Augur

One of my personal goals is to make it more efficient for raid leadership to analyse events and how their raid force is handling them--for example, a consolidated spells/effects timeline for bosses so that you can see what debuffs land when, how much damage is done in different sections of an event, etc.

Any other interesting new features you'd like along the lines of Brogett's post?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Reval Augur

People always worry about being out of range of a parse, and that it is inaccurate. I think this is probably an unreasonably tall request, but it would be neat if you could have gamparse link up to a server in some way, and merge all of the log files for a raid, so that the more people parsing, the more true the parse would be. Then you could branch out from there into comparisons. Imagine seeing how you rank vs every person of x class that's done that event in this past week just because you ran a parse that included the same mobs as the ones they fought? Pretty sweet eh? But yeah, a really large request. I don't really expect it to be fulfilled, but it would be pretty neat. Also, other people's requests involve keeping the code light, which probably goes directly against this sort of thing.
    Symbius likes this.
  13. Lianeb Augur

I personally still use the old Yalp parser to archive and break up log files by day week month. Normally i just break them down by day with the date as the name of the file. it makes it easy to refer back to at any given time. OCD in me has individual days back to 2012. Would love to see some form of archiving feature like that incorporated into Gamparse so i can finally ditch my old copy of Yalp
  14. Lianeb Augur

^^^^ This
  15. Zentara Augur

Beimeith and I discussed this exact idea, but unfortunately it will be extremely difficult to exactly line up log events from different computers due to differences in system time from each computer. It's not completely off the table, but definitely will not be part of the first release.

Not so unreasonable--in fact, another of my personal goals, and part of the new design is to allow for a streamlined mechanism for pushing data to different destinations/formats (local database, JSON, etc.). For the tin foil hats out there, this will be completely optional, with the intent of allowing those interested to push their parses to a database that they can then run queries on.
    Nniki and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  16. Roxxanna Augur

Healing/second with a graph for hps/time.
    Nniki, Gyurika Godofwar and Zentara like this.
  17. strongbus Augur

is there anyway to break down dps by different spells. For example I play a necro. is there a way that you could make it so in the tab that shows what spells and how many times I casts them if i click on a spell it tell me how much total damage/dps that spell did. It come in great when parsing new spells/focus effects on gear.
    Vrinda, IblisTheMage and Zentara like this.
  18. Zentara Augur

Several people have mentioned "light code"--speed is definitely one of our goals and we'd like to actually improve the overall large file processing speed if we can, but we also want to enable things that simply couldn't be done before (within the limits of the data we get from the logs), so no 100% guarantees it will be faster.

That being said, we've got a pretty good test machine (from 2004) that will keep us under control speed wise, so don't expect it to become molasses or anything.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Iila like this.
  19. Zentara Augur

My initial thought is that this would be out of scope of a parsing program, and better served the way you're doing it, strictly speaking. That being said, there may be ways to better organize data for easier archive organization.
  20. Zentara Augur

Not with the information we have currently in the log files. Would love this myself :(