Fear revisited.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tarvas, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Gemster (enchanter) will be so pleased :D Thank you.
    Ssdar and Silv like this.
  2. Tyraxor Augur

Entitled much?
    non-progression raid = everything?
    next to no effort = only guilds like your Triton know how to play?
    Something fun to do for people outside uber guilds who just can't get those numbers anymore = easy?
    Sad.
    Silv likes this.
  3. Klak Augur

Please dont take this the wrong way...

I dont think he is entitled. This game isnt very hard. People just assume that they play a class that they "main it" so they know how to play it correctly. There is a huge difference between thinking you play a class vs actually knowing how to play a class. This is where the difference comes in guilds like Triton etc. Its like if you play League of Legends, there is a lot of low tier players who say oh I main that class. But in reality, a diamond+ player who doesnt main that class will prob play it better than you as a lower tier player who mains it. Ive seen a lot of streams where people make a lot of the same mistakes etc or dont even know that they are or not hitting everything they should. Its just game knowledge. I dont mean this in a rude way but in higher tier guilds there is constant competition of playing your class better. Dps will always try to out dps each other. Healers will try to spellcast/out heal each other etc and they share information. At least thats the way it is in my guild. The other shamans and I can always talk about stuff. All of this does take some degree of effort. Every time my guild gets a new app they are blown away by the way we do things. You either learn to catch up or you wont be in the guild very long. I am more than willing to talk to any shaman in the game if they have any questions. Post like that dont help anything. Just makes people frustrated and quit the game.
  4. Tyraxor Augur

No worries Klak, i raided long enough to know both worlds.
    But there's also a huge difference between making content too hard that should be aimed at the more casual crowd (aka fear, hate, ntov back then etc), and reasonable balance with only high-end content asking for perfect raid setups.

Currently nothing seems in balance.
    Too many guilds have already beaten T2, and in very fast intervals as well.
    And too few have beaten T1, and too many are frustrated with fear / hate.
    I don't see the connection to how classes should be played here...
    and i know one thing, it doesn't help if uber guilds also want things like fear / hate to be semi-difficult.
    Actually if i would still be hardcore raiding, i would be ashamed of myself to claim those instead of throwing a bone to the casuals.
  5. Riou EQResource

You can kill those adds too, they only have like idk 300k hp each. They pretty much instantly die to DPS.
    Tarvas and Iila like this.
  6. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

But it is soo much more amusing to make our one and only enchanter suffer :D
    Riou likes this.
  7. Iila Augur

They get rounded by druid nukes, so something like that.
    Riou likes this.
  8. Silv Augur

It would be *close* to impossible for a single Ench to do it... but possible perhaps. I'd love to see that honestly!
  9. Battleaxe Augur

Just because some can't even manage to field a full-sized/well constructed raid force casuals/family guild members post that new raid content should be made for them does not make it so.

1. Without the extra PoHate and PoFear raid content TBM has insufficient raid content.

2. Further TBM raid content needs to accommodate:
    Endgame guilds
    Real mid-tier RAID guilds
    Real lower-tier RAID guilds

Even if devs tune stuff right on the money there's barely room in current raid content to distinguish between varying levels of achievement by the various degrees of success by full sized raid guilds.

3. At the Guild Summit SOE committed to 54 player raids. During SoD, SOE abandoned the idea of reducing raid size to 42 players given how such a change would affect both guilds and less focused classes. Let's not pretend no one got the memo.

4. There is plenty of previous content that provides significant upgrades for not serious about raiding guilds. PLENTY. GOBS. And given it's older content it will be far easier to beat by not uber guilds who can't field the "perfect" raid force.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure even a 33 player force who doesn't even have ONE (1) Paladin in it to splash can find some raid they can beat - and for absolute certain sure no current content event should be wasted on such can't be motivated to put 9 players on the baseball field /cough team.

As a member of an endgame raid guild who helped out for several months on pickup raids I'm more than willing to "throw casuals a bone". But, reach toward "my" plate (current content raids) and I'll likely forget myself and employ my fork.
    I'd be ashamed to be an opportunistic/casual raider and ask for kiddie ride raids in current content.

Merge, make an alliance, do open raids, do older content. "Problem" solved.
  10. Kiillz Augur

Seriously with the soap box preaching and guild bashing ok?? There are alot of good people in Triton, many who dont say boo here, preach a bad word and would drop alot to help a person in need if they needed so, Triton tag or not. Raiding isn't SUPPOSED to be easy, ok?? Fear or Hate included, JUST like War wasnt progression either, wasnt intended to be like oh hey lets go roll around with some peeps and raid Fear Hate War etc. "Fun" is quests tasks groups etc. Tired of the nonsense babbling of entitlement rants when it comes to raiding. If raiding was EASY, everyone would do it, and to say it should be and such belittles the achievements of the guilds that do, ROI MS RoV Triton IL Etc.
    There is a REASON why some guilds raid and some dont. Plain and simple.

You wanna have a go with Battleaxe have at it, hes a big boy, I m not here to fight his battles, but to downplay and downgrade a Large content of people based on the comments of one and your proclivity to strike back at him? utter nonsense.
  11. Triconix Augur

There's maybe 2-3 events that are slightly overtuned for T1. Damsel of Decay being one for sure and the other being CT. The possible candidates for third are Dracoliche due to the dps check near the end and Innoruuk - only because of the constant DTs on the MT.

All other raids are right in line with what I expected of T1. The casual crowd should find Maestro and the three golems very easy. The mid/lower raiding guilds should find Vim/Vigor, Life, and Wither/Decay all doable with effort. The requirements of raiding should be more than just assemble a random group of 40-50 players and expect to win events. That mentality is just a obvious sense of entitlement.

I do agree that T2 raids are far too easy. They are a complete joke compared to just about every event found in T1 with the most "difficult" event being in line with the easiest event in T1.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  12. Battleaxe Augur

I'm certainly not opposed to sensible retuning when events are seriously out of whack and it prevents guilds with various capabilities from ending up where their ability should take them.

BUT, devs have an understandable difficulty in hitting stuff dead center. With things just as they are "The casual crowd should find Maestro and the three golems very easy." That plus some awesome items in previous content including the first one-off in TDS is plenty of casual and low tier content and when including that one-off great rewards. With things as they are "The mid/lower raiding guilds should find Vim/Vigor, Life, and Wither/Decay all doable with effort."

Sure to provide access to that content for the appropriate guilds make sure they can handle any gatekeeper events to them. BUT, not gatekeeper events beyond them.

IMO the endgame guilds having gotten past gatekeepers are entitle to spend farm time in Candy Land instead of Omg does this event suck/it reminds me of GoD Land. You bet after slogging it through the PoP progression I greeted the PoTime with enthusiasm. Sweet - not hard at all and I won't stress out and resent having to do them 50 times before we are all geared up. (Let's keep in mind that it was the PoP Progression the not really raiders begged to avoid and not the PoTime raids. Gatekeeper/Candy Land/#perfect)
  13. Triconix Augur

I'm not going to quote the whole thing because it was rather long, but just to be clear I was agreeing with you. Or at least I thought I was. You make me question even my own motives! :eek:

I do believe raids should be linear in difficulty. I don't fully agree with gatekeeper leading to super easy farm mode. RoF had 1 gatekeeper event in T1 - Zalikor. Then it had the farm mode of Velishan but that raid was non progression and the rest of the raids required an effort and were more difficult than T1 (imo) albeit not too much more difficult until you got to Xorbb. T3 in RoF had its challenges, but they were still very fun raids to do. Then they kind of dropped the ball with T4. In retrospect, RoF had the best linear progression in difficulty the last few expansions. I could argue that TDS did also, but there were just too few raids.
  14. Battleaxe Augur

I believe clumps of content should be linear in difficulty. But, since devs can't reasonably hit the tuning bullseye on every event we're going to tend to have gatekeepers and easier events. I don't think we can expect them to tune every event and will have to settle for tuning down gatekeepers that block where they ought not be blocking (if we can even hope for that).

I do fully support gatekeepers that must be beaten to arrive at an easier clump of content. If that final clump is the current endgame farm so much the better. Gotta beat Uqua 8 times to see SoD tower? Ok. Gotta beat Uqua once a week for 5 months because its the current content farm? Byyyyyyyeeee (and guilds will collapse left and right).
  15. Cicelee Augur

A basketball can be dunked into a hoop on a NBA regulation ten foot rim. Doesn't mean everyone can do it...
    Sancus, Hiladdar and Silv like this.
  16. Tyraxor Augur

Was pondering if i should reply, but ok...you are imagining things, i didn't bash Triton.
    I used the term "guilds like your Triton" to imply that Battleaxe has become arrogant because he's in one of the best guilds, if anything that's a compliment for Triton.
    I visit your guild site sometimes, doubt i would do that if i dislike it.

In other news, no raiding isn't supposed to be easy.
    But expansions should be a bit for *everyone*. This includes some easier Raids, yes it absolutely does.
    The best expansions all had them, in Planes of Power you didn't start in Plane of Fire.
    Strong guilds have 10 progression Raids, and guilds that can get ~40 people should have Fear / Hate.
    I can only say it again, outside the hardcore raiding scene guilds are becoming smaller and smaller because the recent releases sucked.
  17. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Meh, are we still going on tuning raid content/casuals/hardcore? smh

I appreciate all the nuggets people have thrown out for me on Fear.
    Ssdar and Silv like this.
  18. Klak Augur

I think its time to change the word of casual/hardcore. My guild def raids a lot less than most people cause we are able to get things done quick. No one wants to play that much except a few of us. RoI prob one of the biggest causal guilds in the game. Just have way better players. We do need to have content for lower tier guilds and higher tier guilds. Maybe we should look at other mmos to figure out how to go about this. Maybe like FFXIV where there is a normal version of raids that everyone can do, then have savage version where only the top guilds will be able to beat it. Eventually those guilds will be able to beat it as well but will just take them a lot longer. Everquest for me is not fun. I like to raid. That is it. I dont like group content and I hate easy raids. Raids being one shot is so boring.

I definitely think that PoF/PoH should be nerfed. If lower tier guilds are having a difficulty with it then they should at least be able to have no problem with clearing it except for Inny/CT. The idea to have it as a group task is laughable. Most guilds will not have the dps to clear the entire zone in a night. Just change it to a DZ and change the raids a little bit.
  19. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

To have raids that work for both casual and hardcore guilds without a lot of code work creating different versions, just have "achievements" that spawn extra chests with "uber" loot.

For example: If you kill the mob in under 120 seconds, you get an extra chest of better loot. Or if it is not too difficult to code, just the single chest with better loot.

That's just one example of ways to have a raid work for both casual and hardcore guilds.
  20. Tyraxor Augur

Yeah i was a big fan of the achievements, in RoF mostly.
    They are one of the good ways to give strong guilds something really challenging to do.
    It's sad that many of the good ideas they had in the past have disappeared, or are just a shell of their former self now.