Everquest Classic Server with old source code? (PVE) January 13 (PVP) January 15 ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tyrone, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cakeny Augur

Breach of contract you agreed to when you installed EQ.
  2. Vouivre Augur

Many companies have cracked down at times to stop such practices. Sony specifically has done such things in the past. Yes if you are outside of the U.S. it is impossible to enforce. The same goes for copying music and movies. Try copying Microsoft Windows and see how that works for you. Will you go to jail? No, not likely, but that doesn't make it legal.

Your opinions on copyrighting are irrelevant in such a discussion as are mine. It violates the EULA and the DCMA. They are using intellectual property they don't own rights to in order to create the server. Regardless of how old or useless code may become, it's still owned by Sony.
  3. Tobynn Augur

Illegal server. lulz. Completely false in respect to a certain project.
    Elricvonclief and Moklianne like this.
  4. Vouivre Augur

You feel it's a legally run server? If so how do you figure that's true?
  5. code-zero Augur

No, what you are describing it Trilogy. Not that there's anything wrong with Trilogy and a new Progression server that started as Trilogy would probably give an amount of time before unlocking further content that would satisfy most people. Classic doesn't include Kunark or Velious though
  6. Moklianne Augur

Is the server using any original source at all? From what I understand it was reworked from the ground up by looking at the clients, which are owned by the individual players. Players may be breaking the EULA, but I doubt those that are running the server are. Its a legal gray area and only in the US or those countries that recognize the DMCA. And its so gray that all of these companies don't think its worth the effort to pursue with force.
  7. Vouivre Augur

Reverse engineering (which is what you are referring to) is illegal as well thanks to the DCMA. And yes in the U.S. it is illegal, but then I suppose you feel it is fine to sell or give out music, movies, etc or sample and pay no royalties either.
  8. Tobynn Augur

Read the EULA and you'll find that SOE has granted you a license to utilize EverQuest names and art, provided you maintain an account in good standing. As long as you are not turning a profit from SOE's intellectual property, and are not distributing copyrighted files, you are not doing anything illegal.
  9. Cakeny Augur

There's a difference between using artwork on a website and running a derivative product that is in direct competition for subscriber base.
    Vouivre likes this.
  10. Vouivre Augur

7. Subject to the terms of this Agreement, we hereby grant to you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to use the Software solely in connection with playing the Game via an authorized and fully-paid Account. You may not copy (except to make one necessary back-up copy), distribute, sell, auction, rent, lease, loan, modify or create derivative works, adapt, translate, perform, display, sublicense or transfer all or any portion of the Software. You may not copy any of the written materials accompanying the Software. You may not reverse engineer, disassemble or decompile the Software except to the extent that this restriction is expressly prohibited by applicable law. The Software may contain license management software that restricts your use of the Software.

And with not only this in the EULA stating they do not allow you to copy, change, reverse engineer,etc. and the DCMA, it is quite clearly illegal regardless of what they claim.
  11. Tobynn Augur

... and there's a difference between violating the the EULA and "breaking the law" -- the worst case scenario of the former is your account gets terminated.

If you believe emulators are illegal, I am interested to know your explanation why the almighty Sony Corporation and their thousands of attorneys and billions of dollars is effectively powerless to permanently shut the emulators down. Hint: they have no legal grounds to do so. Best they can do is terminate user accounts for violating the EULA.
  12. Rainbowdash Augur

Too much arguing! Need more pixel killing!
  13. Vouivre Augur

So you really believe that violating the EULA can't possibly lead to a lawsuit? Sony and many other games turn a blind eye to emulators and numerous other infractions. This isn't new. They used to go after people constantly, and then they just seemed to stop caring. Fact is, that not shutting down the servers is literally not in itself proof that it can't be done.
  14. Cakeny Augur

I'm sure they could shut them down, but the cost in money and PR is possibly too high to be a feasible option.
    Vouivre likes this.
  15. Tobynn Augur

Lawsuit? lulz What does civil law have to do with the word criminal you tossed around so eagerly? You claim emulators are illegal and the users/operators are criminals. As a general rule, the intent is to arrest and prosecute criminals, not sue them.
  16. Vouivre Augur

I mentioned the LAW (DMCA) that specifically may cover such things. You originally used the EULA to defend the server and then dismissed it when it didn't suit you any longer. Otherwise you've only said that if it hasn't happened yet it must be legal. That's not really an argument.
  17. Tobynn Augur

I don't think the DMCA contains the provisions you think it does. Then again, you did say it may cover such things so admittedly you don't know, so you should probably cease basing your argument on things you know little about.

Did you read your EULA? How many times did you come across words like criminal, and illegal, and prosecute? None. How many additional "agreements" have you entered into with Sony regarding the licensing of EverQuest software? None. How many different ways can Sony seek to have you prosecuted specifically for violating terms of the EULA? None. You violate the EULA, they can terminate your account. That's the full severity of the penalties Sony can impose upon you for violating the user agreement -- they can refuse you service. Period.

And I never stated if it hasn't happened yet it must be legal -- I stated its not illegal because its not illegal. I asked why you believe Sony does nothing about what you claim to be the ongoing illegal activities of countless supposed criminals, and you replied well they don't care. Citation needed.
  18. EverChanter Augur

Lol, I don't remember the last time I PAID for a version of Windows...everything in the world should be shared, including the stuff I create!

I don't think DCMA covers what people may think, it's from what 1998 or so? The provisions they keep adding are funny. Personally, until places like the RIAA take money from the lawsuits and give them to the actual artists (which they don't) they can kiss it ill take and do as I see fit, most of the things I "borrow" will get my money if I enjoy them, if I don't then it gets deleted.

Not sure any MMO could fall under the DCMA anyways since most require registration or payment to access them.
  19. Vouivre Augur

So far you have the same or less proof that it's legal. Just your opinion.

The DMCA states " It criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM) that control access to copyrighted works."

Now what that says to me is that circumventing access to the game might be enough. It also wouldn't be the first time Sony used the DMCA against a customer.
  20. Nolrog Augur

Theft of Intellectual Property is very much illegal. SOE owns all the rights to EQ, including the code, the characters the game play. I'm sure SOE legal keeps a close eye on them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.